Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
SCOD: On the Eastern Stairs of Khazad-dm (oh and Frodo's leg)

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

Jul 6 2012, 1:12pm

Post #1 of 8 (655 views)
Shortcut
SCOD: On the Eastern Stairs of Khazad-dm (oh and Frodo's leg) Can't Post

Welcome to the 2nd of this week's Screencap of the Day, and thanks if you participated in the previous one!
This was one in a long series of shots showing the end of their Moria journey, displaying the company's petrified reactions to the Balrog etc. Asides from it being the (slightly controversial?) crumbilng-stair-jump action scene, this shot showed to me how superficial the background scenery of Moria could look like at points. IMO, when played in film, it does work, as it is fast and blurred (dunno how this would translate in 48fps 4K O.O); when paused however, it does not feel quite right to my eyes at least.
So my questions:

1. Lighting, composition and background: What are your thoughts on the visual make-up, and the authenticity of these latter parts of Moria?

2. The jump... did you like this part?

What's up with Frodo's leg? (Laugh)

Cheers people! Xana.

Join us over at Barliman's chat all day, any day!

Laketown guy: What have the dwarves -ever- done for us?

Bard: The aqueduct!

Laketown guy: Piss off! We're not from Dale

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Jul 6 2012, 3:50pm

Post #2 of 8 (288 views)
Shortcut
Meh [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Lighting, composition and background: What are your thoughts on the visual make-up, and the authenticity of these latter parts of Moria?

The lighting and background are a bit sub par, but not too bothersome when in motion. I like the shot of the orcs firing arrows down at the company, from a distance. Great sense of depth there (can someone post that one?)

The composition is basically non-existent. Two characters smack in the middle of the frame from an odd perspective. Not the height of cinema.

A ridiculous scene, though not the worst.

I don't know. What's wrong with it?

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 6 2012, 4:54pm

Post #3 of 8 (258 views)
Shortcut
This is the scene where I always went to the bathroom [In reply to] Can't Post

even in the early days, I was seriously unimpressed with it.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Nuradar
Rohan

Jul 6 2012, 6:02pm

Post #4 of 8 (254 views)
Shortcut
Belly of the beast [In reply to] Can't Post

As a sreencap, this image is not great. I looks like they're in the belly of a beast that's swallowed them whole.

I don't criticize the movies for much, but this part bothers me only because of the physics of it. When Legolas grabbed Gimli's beard, he looked like he should have fallen. And when Aragorn leaned forward with Frodo, it just seemed a little unbelievable to me. But I really like how the stair fell down after they reached the other side.

3. What's up with Frodo's leg?
Hard to tell exactly what's going on from this screencap. I'll have to take notice of it the next time I watch.

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Jul 7 2012, 5:34am

Post #5 of 8 (248 views)
Shortcut
Mary, Mary, quite contrary... [In reply to] Can't Post

No, this isn't the most brilliant example of composition, but I don't think it's as bad as others seem to. The background does show up as rather CGI-ish, and Frodo and Aragorn almost look like cut-outs against it. Also, their (Frodo's and Aragorn's) coloring looks a bit on the coolish side considering that they are supposed to be surrounded by flames.

Okay, here's where I'm seemingly alone. (Takes deep breath and gathers courage) I like this sequence. There! I said it! I thought it was fun. I don't like everything about it - especially the Dwarf tossing line and Legolas grabbing Gimli by the beard - but I was on the edge of my seat. I am normally *not* a big fan of action sequences for the sake of action. By far my favorite parts of these films are the quieter, character-based scenes, but I was really caught up in the moment.

I don't think that's his leg. I think it's his cloak, or the cloak of whichever hobbit went just before (I forget who) It's greenish like the cloak, not brownish like his pants. If it is his leg, he's doing some funky 70's dance moves in some equally funky green bell-bottom pantsLaugh

Thank you, XanasebSmile

Nightingale
Rohan

Jul 7 2012, 3:49pm

Post #6 of 8 (202 views)
Shortcut
I enjoy this bit too!// [In reply to] Can't Post

"You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me" - C. S. Lewis

"That line between the earth and sky came beckoning to me..." - Laurie's Song

Mauricio
Bree

Jul 9 2012, 10:27pm

Post #7 of 8 (183 views)
Shortcut
You're not alone Zarabia.... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

I don't have much problems with the background, it's like you said: when in motion you can barely tell.

What really bothers me and sticks out like a sore thumb, is the green reflected in their body and faces. It makes it obvious that they were in front of a green screen and later inserted in that background.

As far as composition goes, its not the best one nor do I think it should be. It's a scene of danger and risk, the characters are not stable and neither is their surrounding; so it works solely because it reflects their situation successfully. If it was a perfectly composed shot, it would be distracting and alienating to a certain degree, IMO.

Sue me, I did. I was completely thrilled and at the edge of my seat the first time I saw it, and.... even now I enjoy this part. I do find the dwarf tossing and the beard grabbing a bit over the top, but I find the whole scene thrilling. Having said this, I most definitely not count this part among FOTR's highlights.

3. What's up with Frodo's leg? (Laugh)

Uhm... what about it? I don't think either of his legs is in frame.

Hello everybody, please help win tickets for The Dark Knight Rises premiere in Mexico City, all you have to do is "Like" the drawing on the following link:
http://www.facebook.com/...theater¬if_t=like
Thanks, it really means a lot!!

(This post was edited by Mauricio on Jul 9 2012, 10:29pm)

weaver
Half-elven

Jul 17 2012, 4:20am

Post #8 of 8 (193 views)
Shortcut
Brothers in arms... [In reply to] Can't Post

I know it's over the top, but I did always like that the Fellowship literally became "brothers in arms' at this point, by leaping into each other's arms like that!

Works great on a symbolic, if not scientific, level...and really, I do think this is the moment that defines the Fellowship bond in a lot of ways; between this moment, and having to go on after Gandalf falls, they are "eternally bound" after this point.

Weaver

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.