Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Entertainment Weekly Hobbit cover
First page Previous page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next page Last page  View All

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Jul 4 2012, 9:47pm

Post #276 of 324 (9928 views)
Shortcut
Doesn't make sense [In reply to] Can't Post

I have watched many a film, particularly in period pieces, where characters with substantial beards and heavy clothing are not covered in facial prosthetics...Those characters generally come off as far more believable than the dwarves we have seen thus far...

Yes, they were humans, and these are dwarves. But I don't find that it adds anything to the story to make sure it is 100% obvious, through their facial characteristics, that they are not human. Exposition, clothing, cultural objects, etc. can more effectively make the point.

Plus, if audiences are going to relate to these characters, they should not be too buried under prosthetics.

DarkJackal
Rohan

Jul 4 2012, 9:57pm

Post #277 of 324 (10397 views)
Shortcut
I had just been kidding with this, but... [In reply to] Can't Post

You know when something seems ridiculous, but then in hindsight, not so much...

http://heirsofdurin.files.wordpress.com/.../01/guitar-hero1.jpg

This was originally inspired by an electric guitar rendition of the Misty Mountain song, which really did sound awesome. Cool

mykonos
Bree

Jul 4 2012, 9:58pm

Post #278 of 324 (10403 views)
Shortcut
oh em gee, that is an awesome manip! // [In reply to] Can't Post

DarkJackal
Rohan

Jul 4 2012, 10:05pm

Post #279 of 324 (10096 views)
Shortcut
The key [In reply to] Can't Post

I only saw it briefly in that post of Daniel's. I don't remember much, but it was unusual, very intricate. I did not save a picture.

DarkJackal
Rohan

Jul 4 2012, 10:14pm

Post #280 of 324 (10147 views)
Shortcut
That is disturbing Otaku! // [In reply to] Can't Post

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Jul 4 2012, 10:15pm

Post #281 of 324 (11455 views)
Shortcut
When did they cast Bob Seger? [In reply to] Can't Post

artemy
Lorien

Jul 4 2012, 10:54pm

Post #282 of 324 (10185 views)
Shortcut
Now if the stinger for the first film [In reply to] Can't Post

isn't Thorin and the other dwarves (Dwalin on drums, Ori on keyboard, Bifur on bass and Kili on vocals) playing a rock concert then I will be severely disappoint!

I don't think that tablet image of Thorin is from his younger days, I expect they were just trying to make Richard Armitage look as handsome as possible. I'm going to imagine his colouring is because of... firelight or something. Totally the firelight Unimpressed

Lovely to see Dwalin and Balin together though. I'd say that this occurs right at the beginning since Bilbo is still in his dressing gown, and that the rest of the dwarves arrive in groups.
In the trailer and vlogs I counted between five and seven falling through the door in a pile. How many there were in the book, I can't quite recall.

~Beneath the sun, all things must wear to an end at last~

(This post was edited by artemy on Jul 4 2012, 10:56pm)

Yngwulff
Gondor

Jul 4 2012, 11:00pm

Post #283 of 324 (9950 views)
Shortcut
I think more than ... [In reply to] Can't Post

2+2 is on their minds ...

Take this Brother May it Serve you Well
Vote for Pedro!

Carne
Tol Eressea

Jul 4 2012, 11:05pm

Post #284 of 324 (9837 views)
Shortcut
8 dwarves fall through the door if my counting is correct. [In reply to] Can't Post

artemy
Lorien

Jul 4 2012, 11:21pm

Post #285 of 324 (9699 views)
Shortcut
In one of the vlogs [In reply to] Can't Post

Fili and Kili were walking through Bag End with Bilbo and none of the other dwarves, so I assume they still arrive together as a pair. If it's Dwalin, Balin, Fili and Kili first then that would fit with the book.

What's odd is I can't see Thorin in any of the dogpiles so far. The one in which Gandalf also turns up mashes two of the groups from the book together, including Bifur, Bofur, Bombur, Ori, Dori, Nori, Oin and Gloin, but no Thorin. So maybe all of them are together and Thorin brings up the rear in a suitably regal fashion?

That would be a shame as I always found it extremely funny that he got stuck at the bottom of the heap Laugh

~Beneath the sun, all things must wear to an end at last~

(This post was edited by artemy on Jul 4 2012, 11:23pm)

imin
Valinor

Jul 4 2012, 11:21pm

Post #286 of 324 (10464 views)
Shortcut
4 in the book, bifur, bofur, bombur and thorin/ [In reply to] Can't Post

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Jul 5 2012, 1:25am

Post #287 of 324 (10481 views)
Shortcut
Perhaps once comparisons were made to Khal Drogo [In reply to] Can't Post

they decided to soften his look a bit?

BeornBerserker
Lorien

Jul 5 2012, 2:18am

Post #288 of 324 (9939 views)
Shortcut
when does the issue hit the stands? [In reply to] Can't Post

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Jul 5 2012, 2:27am

Post #289 of 324 (9968 views)
Shortcut
No hassle... [In reply to] Can't Post

You don't need to make an account. I just search "hobbit" every so often, to see what the public are saying...http://twitter.com/...arch/realtime/hobbit

Sunflower
Valinor

Jul 5 2012, 3:38am

Post #290 of 324 (9827 views)
Shortcut
Depends.... [In reply to] Can't Post

The answer to where I have been te past 2 weeks is, um, Twitter. Just joined to Follow 2 people and have become addited to it. I joined more to read than to tweet. Dear Lord. It started after seeing the les Miz trailer, finding out that Russell Crowe was not only on Twitter but had a very entertaining page, than I signed up to follow Javert's Twitter feed while it was still filming, and was not disappointed....then discovered, um, Valjean's and Eponine's Twitter feed, (CrazyTongueSmile), and honestly can't say which film I'm the more stoked for. Dear Lord. never thought that would happen...I'm now re-arranging my Dec 14th weekend schedule. Mdnight for TH, of course, as well as Fri night, but I have Fri off work and Sat night too. I have to try to work Les Miz in there somewhere, if the crix are kind. That could go either way, depending on the performances. Of course people like Hugh Jackman will say things that heighten our expectations, and I get excited for a moment, but then I kick myself and be realistic. making that musical into a film is a HUGE risk....so many things that can go wrong, or just look corny...and I'm nervous about the Hobbit critical recption too....we shall see.

(Oh yeah, and one of Bono's daughters is on twitter too....talk about surreal...how did she talk her parents into letting her have an account?!?! I felt guilty at first, but hey, it's entriely voluntary so now I don't...

As usual, I miss all the bog Hobbit news when it hits...I knew of Comic-Con, but put off coming on here....figured nothing would hit before the 5th..then this! *charlie brown yell* AUUGHHH!!:)

I don't get my ET magazine in the mail until Wed or Thurs, so I'll be late getting my issue in my hands!

I wonder if any new trailer will be attached to The Dark Knight?

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 5 2012, 4:54am

Post #291 of 324 (9976 views)
Shortcut
"on stands Tuesday, July 3 " [In reply to] Can't Post

as stated in my original post...

the issue is marked with a July 13 date, however.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 5 2012, 6:58am

Post #292 of 324 (9878 views)
Shortcut
Thanks QT! That's handy :-) / [In reply to] Can't Post

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jul 5 2012, 1:52pm

Post #293 of 324 (10597 views)
Shortcut
I've seen the current issue of EW... [In reply to] Can't Post

And there was nothing about The Hobbit or Comic-Con on the cover or interior. I think that the issue comes out next week, on the 10th.

"Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them, as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house." - Aragorn

lindorian
The Shire

Jul 5 2012, 4:04pm

Post #294 of 324 (11343 views)
Shortcut
Not the EW 6th July issue [In reply to] Can't Post

Yep, I just received my copy from newsstand in the UK and I got Louis C K on the cover ( 'Disappointed' said in a Kevin Kline voice - Fish called Wanda reference anyone...anyone?) It also said that the next issue would not be available till 18th July so maybe we won't be able to get it at all in the UK. Not happy!

imin
Valinor

Jul 5 2012, 4:08pm

Post #295 of 324 (10556 views)
Shortcut
Oh bad luck! [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah i would be disappointed about that as well. Hopefully the next issue will be coming a little sooner than that!

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jul 5 2012, 4:19pm

Post #296 of 324 (17731 views)
Shortcut
EW, July 6th issue [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Yep, I just received my copy from newsstand in the UK and I got Louis C K on the cover ( 'Disappointed' said in a Kevin Kline voice - Fish called Wanda reference anyone...anyone?) It also said that the next issue would not be available till 18th July so maybe we won't be able to get it at all in the UK. Not happy!

Yes, that is the only issue that I've seen on the stands this week (here in the U.S.). That is why I suspect the street date of the Hobbit/Comic-Con issue is actually July 10th.

"Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them, as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house." - Aragorn

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Jul 5 2012, 4:41pm

Post #297 of 324 (9636 views)
Shortcut
I believe this is of what you speak [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R97TsVD

General Warning: Brief language from Mr. Kline. Tongue

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 5 2012, 5:23pm

Post #298 of 324 (9819 views)
Shortcut
Did you buy it online, or from a shop? / [In reply to] Can't Post

imin
Valinor

Jul 5 2012, 5:26pm

Post #299 of 324 (10157 views)
Shortcut
news stand is that online shop you linked, isn't it? / [In reply to] Can't Post

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 5 2012, 5:27pm

Post #300 of 324 (9842 views)
Shortcut
Yes it was [In reply to] Can't Post

I wasn't sure if it was the website or from an actual news stand Laugh

First page Previous page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.