Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Entertainment Weekly Hobbit cover
First page Previous page 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next page Last page  View All

duats
Grey Havens

Jul 4 2012, 12:48am

Post #176 of 324 (10149 views)
Shortcut
Anybody have the tablet version [In reply to] Can't Post

According to those scans, the tablet edition has more exclusive photos.

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Jul 4 2012, 12:57am

Post #177 of 324 (7685 views)
Shortcut
reply to captainsalt [In reply to] Can't Post

Indeed! I wonder how would theonering look like if it had aicn freedom of speech...Wink

ElendilTheShort
Gondor

Jul 4 2012, 1:00am

Post #178 of 324 (10061 views)
Shortcut
Impact injuries [In reply to] Can't Post

did occur, I do not know much about the subject though so I could not really comment much further on modern speculation, theories and historical evidence on the matter. If you were going for impact a hammer would be more effective.

A real sword is a joy, they can float in your hand when moving and their specific intention, which differs, becomes clear even to an untrained person as long as they are paying attention.

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Jul 4 2012, 1:02am

Post #179 of 324 (9909 views)
Shortcut
Well, we're all united in actually liking Tolkien! [In reply to] Can't Post

Our disagreements never result in flat-out calling the entire premise crap (as far as I'm aware)!

If one looked hard enough, I'm sure one could probably find an "ultra-deluxe-purist" on the internet who feels that "The Hobbit" and "The Lord of the Rings" were good titles, but J.R.R. screwed them up in the opening paragraphs. TongueTongueEvil

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Jul 4 2012, 1:02am

Post #180 of 324 (9959 views)
Shortcut
Nice gallery so far! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks DJ.

This one made me sigh: http://heirsofdurin.files.wordpress.com/...962302_5176258_o.jpg

We swears he's in this one too: http://heirsofdurin.files.wordpress.com/...ial_1_hd-cb87644.jpg

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Jul 4 2012, 1:08am

Post #181 of 324 (9986 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the scans...but... [In reply to] Can't Post

did PJ just say "Gimps"? The particularly meaning of the word of which he's making use here is horribly inappropriate for the family-friendly fare that is TH! Shame on you, PJ, you dirty little man! ShockedBlush

I think he meant "gimp suits", anyway. "Gimp" is a horribly mean slang term for a handicapped person. Unsure

2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

(This post was edited by Captain Salt on Jul 4 2012, 1:11am)

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Jul 4 2012, 1:18am

Post #182 of 324 (7933 views)
Shortcut
reply to captainsalt [In reply to] Can't Post

Id actually like to meet such a rarityWink

I understood gimp meant idiotic...apparently not...

If we get hi res versions of those photos, tablet edition on ew or from somewhere else, ill scream....Laugh

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Jul 4 2012, 1:21am

Post #183 of 324 (10643 views)
Shortcut
Yes...Dr. Gimli got his education from his Uncle Dr. Oin! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd ignore that particular bit from the EE if I were PJ, but whatever! Tongue

Elves and Dwarves fighting Spiders together...so, the Mirkwood Elves will be presented as (initially) more helpful than they are in the book...makes sense, considering that the audience will know the Elves as the "good guys" from the trilogy.

DarkJackal
Rohan

Jul 4 2012, 1:40am

Post #184 of 324 (10596 views)
Shortcut
Horace Slughorn vs. Oin [In reply to] Can't Post

OMG Lusitano! I will never be able to think of Oin without this connection again. NOOOOO!

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Jul 4 2012, 1:48am

Post #185 of 324 (7365 views)
Shortcut
reply to DarkJackal [In reply to] Can't Post

LOOOOOOOOOOOOLL

Dazzling! Marvelous! Ecstatic! OH DARKJACKAL THE MAGNIFICENT! Wink

I hope when you actually see him, he ll make you forget that dudeLaugh

DarkJackal
Rohan

Jul 4 2012, 1:50am

Post #186 of 324 (10111 views)
Shortcut
You sigh.. [In reply to] Can't Post

..over which, the loss of Rob Kazinsky, or Aidan's beard? Laugh

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Jul 4 2012, 1:53am

Post #187 of 324 (10567 views)
Shortcut
Perhaps its meaning may vary... [In reply to] Can't Post

But it's not nice, whatever it is. Wink

BTW, by "handicapped" I mean people who've lost limbs, ETC. I don't PJ is aware of this particular usage...I hope! Tongue I wish I weren't aware of it, for that matter.

(This post was edited by Captain Salt on Jul 4 2012, 1:55am)

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Jul 4 2012, 1:55am

Post #188 of 324 (10110 views)
Shortcut
Aidan definitely looked more appropriately Dwarvish with the bead, IMO... [In reply to] Can't Post

As for Rob Kazinsky, he's still playing someone's brother in a big-budget tentpole movie (from former Hobbit director Guillemo del Toro)!

DarkJackal
Rohan

Jul 4 2012, 1:57am

Post #189 of 324 (9504 views)
Shortcut
No no no! [In reply to] Can't Post

What Jackson actually meant was GIMP, or (GNU Image Manipulation Program) the free software I use to make icons!

I'm sure this dinky little program plays some incredibly important part in the special effects of the green suits. See, nothing impure there! Sly

DarkJackal
Rohan

Jul 4 2012, 2:03am

Post #190 of 324 (9859 views)
Shortcut
Needed something for Legolas to do [In reply to] Can't Post

I suppose just being a pampered prince and pushing dwarves around wasn't considered respectable enough for our future elf hero.

*grumble*

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Jul 4 2012, 2:08am

Post #191 of 324 (10349 views)
Shortcut
Well, that's better! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm sure that what PJ meant too...what a relief! Embarrassment for our director averted! Wink

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Jul 4 2012, 2:20am

Post #192 of 324 (9304 views)
Shortcut
Given the context of the statement [In reply to] Can't Post

it's pretty clear that he is talking about a "gimp suit"

...though until now I wasn't even aware that those outfits had a name, even after having seen Pulp Fiction a half dozen times... it just never occurred to me that they would have a name, let alone be part of popular parlance.

I was aware of the other (derogatory) use of the word to describe someone who is lame, or as a substitute for the verb "limp." (Which conjures some decidedly off-colour theories about how the gimp suit may have been named.)

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on Jul 4 2012, 2:23am)

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Jul 4 2012, 2:22am

Post #193 of 324 (9864 views)
Shortcut
Kazinsky of course [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm willing to bet, though not seen, he was seated at that table in Bag End when the publicity still was made.

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Jul 4 2012, 2:31am

Post #194 of 324 (9798 views)
Shortcut
To be honest [In reply to] Can't Post

I wasn't aware of the term "gimp suit", either...I had to look it up, to make sure PJ wasn't saying that other thing! Tongue

Anyhoo, I wonder if there were discernible differences between the Fili's? Dean just seems more low-key, personality-wise, than Rob...also wonder if we'll see a bit more of the first Fili on the eventual extras?

(This post was edited by Captain Salt on Jul 4 2012, 2:33am)

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Jul 4 2012, 3:05am

Post #195 of 324 (10048 views)
Shortcut
Really. The astonishing thing is that PJ [In reply to] Can't Post

seemed to think that we (his audience) would know what he was on about... it was so obvious to him after all. The world according to AICN indeed!

Laugh

The guy must be exhausted (though the quote is from some time ago)... you're in the home stretch now Sir Peter, we're still rooting for you!

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on Jul 4 2012, 3:08am)

ElendilTheShort
Gondor

Jul 4 2012, 3:15am

Post #196 of 324 (9392 views)
Shortcut
I thought the gimp suit [In reply to] Can't Post

reference would be from Pulp Fiction

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Jul 4 2012, 3:30am

Post #197 of 324 (9605 views)
Shortcut
Ah, so the name grew from the iconic scene [In reply to] Can't Post

with Zed and friends in the basement of the pawn shop?

Zed: Bring out the gimp.
Maynard: I think the gimp's sleeping.
Zed: Well I guess you'll just have to go wake him up now won't you.

Or were such suits called that before Pulp Fiction was made? In other words is it a film reference or drawn from another repository of knowledge?

Crazy

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Jul 4 2012, 3:54am

Post #198 of 324 (9692 views)
Shortcut
My understanding of the word gimp [In reply to] Can't Post

Also comes from that scene in Pulp Fiction - leading me to believe it referred to a strange man dressed in leather that lives in a cage...

So, I empathize with PJ here! I hope this doesn't land him into any PR trouble.

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Jul 4 2012, 4:05am

Post #199 of 324 (9858 views)
Shortcut
I don't know why [In reply to] Can't Post

But I think Thorin looks fantastic as is. Indeed, he is my favorite dwarf of the bunch, by a long shot.

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Jul 4 2012, 4:14am

Post #200 of 324 (10656 views)
Shortcut
His insult insulted me, so I had to insult it! [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile

In any event, thanks for your calmly rational approach to this little flare-up.

In the future, I will try not to take double shots of espresso before posting!

First page Previous page 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.