Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Entertainment Weekly Hobbit cover
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 13 Next page Last page  View All

TheRealBeren
Rivendell

Jul 3 2012, 3:02pm

Post #126 of 324 (10508 views)
Shortcut
Scan? [In reply to] Can't Post

So, is anyone going to scan and post the entire article on the boards?Cheers

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 3 2012, 3:08pm

Post #127 of 324 (9890 views)
Shortcut
Hey who you laughing at? [In reply to] Can't Post

Didn't you learn never to laugh at live Dragons!?

The Plan 9 Interview... in celebration of the 10th anniversary of the release of The Fellowship of the Ring.

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 3 2012, 3:10pm

Post #128 of 324 (9854 views)
Shortcut
ROFL... just... ROFL // [In reply to] Can't Post

The Plan 9 Interview... in celebration of the 10th anniversary of the release of The Fellowship of the Ring.

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Jul 3 2012, 3:15pm

Post #129 of 324 (10108 views)
Shortcut
*jaw drops* [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not sure I insulted anyone, or have ever deliberately insulted anyone

You just completely, and undeservedly, jumped the gun and called someone else's opinion 'insulting tripe.'

I would have edited that out if JW hadn't taken it so well and turned it around on you. If you're told time and time again, by different people that you insult people, you might consider the fact that it just *might* be true.

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

imin
Valinor

Jul 3 2012, 3:16pm

Post #130 of 324 (9943 views)
Shortcut
Not laughing at anyone's posts :P // [In reply to] Can't Post

duats
Grey Havens

Jul 3 2012, 3:29pm

Post #131 of 324 (10807 views)
Shortcut
*Applause* [In reply to] Can't Post

It's not even questionable that Weta could have pulled it off. But they gotta hit those younger age demographics somehow Frown.

I still can't stand Kili, and Thorin's short beard continues to drive me crazy. Otherwise, I've pretty much gotten used to everyone else.

TheSexyBeard
Lorien

Jul 3 2012, 3:35pm

Post #132 of 324 (9859 views)
Shortcut
Also on Movies.com [In reply to] Can't Post

The new images have appeared on Movies.com now, heres the link iif anyone else was having problems with last website:

http://www.movies.com/...mp;wss=mdcmkttwitter

There looking great! It's cool to see the Dwarves coloured hood make it into film, I wasn't expecting them to appear. Dori is certainly rocking his, whilst Nori looks pretty tough in the same photo, a side we haven't seen of him so far (based on what little we've seen). I think Gollum looks a little bit more youthful, and slightly healthier, which is understandable since is in possesstion of the ring. The advancements in technology are really clear as well.

Those character shots of Bilbo, Gandalf and Thorin are great! They really should have realised the one of Thorin first, it's a lot better than original images of him from last year.

The Hobbit is also currently trending on Twiter.

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 3 2012, 3:42pm

Post #133 of 324 (9971 views)
Shortcut
Went to my shop [In reply to] Can't Post

and not a copy in sight Unsure

imin
Valinor

Jul 3 2012, 3:47pm

Post #134 of 324 (10404 views)
Shortcut
Is it available in the UK? [In reply to] Can't Post

I have never as far as i can remember bought a copy of Entertainment Weekly, i just assumed it would be on sale in the UK in one of the major supermarkets.

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 3 2012, 3:48pm

Post #135 of 324 (9930 views)
Shortcut
Yes, it's available in the UK. Just nowhere has it ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Edit: Maybe you can only buy it online:

http://www.newsstand.co.uk/...ne-Subscription.aspx

Although, the above website says it's released tomorrow?

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Jul 3 2012, 3:51pm)

Carne
Tol Eressea

Jul 3 2012, 3:49pm

Post #136 of 324 (12532 views)
Shortcut
Maybe it's a bit too early in the US? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not sure when people get their mail in the US, but I assume subscribers will have to wait a few more hours.

imin
Valinor

Jul 3 2012, 3:51pm

Post #137 of 324 (10314 views)
Shortcut
I take it you have bought one before? [In reply to] Can't Post

I found this online http://www.ask.com/answers/50096241/where-can-you-buy-entertainment-weekly-in-the-uk

quote ' Entertainment Weekly is not typically sold on news stand in the UK, but it can be ordered from an online news stand, such as www.newsstand.co.uk, and delivered to an address in the UK. Likewise, you can buy a subscription, usually for as many or as few weeks as you want, and have it delivered to an address in the UK.'

But then others say you can. Wish it was just published in Empire or Total Film, then i could get it from my local corner shop!

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 3 2012, 3:53pm

Post #138 of 324 (10103 views)
Shortcut
See my edit ;-) [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope it's not restricted to the US only. That's no fun Unsure

imin
Valinor

Jul 3 2012, 3:54pm

Post #139 of 324 (10060 views)
Shortcut
Oh you beat me to it! haha! [In reply to] Can't Post

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Jul 3 2012, 3:57pm

Post #140 of 324 (10247 views)
Shortcut
An unintended consequence of 48fps [In reply to] Can't Post

Stills made on set should be colour corrected for print media... just saying.

Apart from the odd hue in some shots, everything and everyone looks great imho. Thanks again Magpie!

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Jul 3 2012, 4:12pm

Post #141 of 324 (10384 views)
Shortcut
Oh I see JW and Shelob picked up on this [In reply to] Can't Post

serves me right for coming so late to the thread and posting without careful reading of what was already said.

Carry on Ringers!

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Jul 3 2012, 4:17pm

Post #142 of 324 (10296 views)
Shortcut
Baseless [In reply to] Can't Post

I called JWPlatt's comments "insulting tripe," I did not insult his person. And despite the fact that he was not insulting me, he was indeed directly insulting other people on the boards (accusing them of amnesia, being hysterical, etc), and I stand by that. I misinterpreted the audience of his insult, but not the nature of it.

I never attack people's persons on this board, despite the fact that people often describe me in an unsatisfactory fashion, simply because of the opinions I hold. I am routinely labeled "naysayer," "complainer," "the kind of person that is never happy," "delusional" etc., but cannot remember a time where I accused anyone of being "slobbering fanboys," "naive," or "lacking good taste in films."

If people are insulted by my opinions of the films, for whatever reasons, that is understandable (but also not my problem, as they are simply my personal opinions, and have nothing to do with my opinions of other people).

That is very different than directly insulting people, which I avoid at all costs.

It is baseless and entirely unfair to accuse me with such a general statement. Simply because some people (and not many, mind you) have been insulted by my comments, does not prove that I have insulted their person.

Elven
Valinor

Jul 3 2012, 4:37pm

Post #143 of 324 (9894 views)
Shortcut
Thankyou Magpie... [In reply to] Can't Post

Some nice pics there!
Not sure about the front cover (proportionally) - but it has a few hints - the words Epic and Anticipation come to mind Laugh

(This post was edited by Elven on Jul 3 2012, 4:39pm)

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Jul 3 2012, 4:56pm

Post #144 of 324 (10141 views)
Shortcut
Question about REDs [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Why do they eat so much color?

2. Is the "color eating" a product of a technology in its early stages, and if so, are people working on improving it? In other words, can RED Epics in the future be made in such a way that diminishes that color-eating phenomenon?

3. Is it really possible, through the physical coloration of sets, costumes, makeup, etc., to adequately compensate for this color-eating across the entire broad palette of the films?

4. Do we have other examples of films shot with RED Epics, and do they seem to suffer in terms of their color palette?

I suppose I am a bit confused about the decision to go with RED Epics, given some very clear deficiencies that are likely costing the production lots of money...

DarkJackal
Rohan

Jul 3 2012, 4:57pm

Post #145 of 324 (10162 views)
Shortcut
Photos Collected here [In reply to] Can't Post

I try to put all the official photos in this gallery. They are updated with the highest resolution versions as I come across them.

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Jul 3 2012, 5:05pm

Post #146 of 324 (10173 views)
Shortcut
Agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

I really don't think it was an either/or decision.

And as I said, I think there should have been a "baseline" that one wouldn't cross. For me that was: The dwarves should all have beards worthy of being described as beards! That means quite long.

That could have been done while still creating very distinctive looks and profiles through costume differences, hats/helmets, weapon profiles, different-colored hair, size, weight, etc - all while maintaining beard length.

For me, the only ones who violate that baseline are Kili, Fili and Bofur. Kili I still don't quite like. Fili I like, but mostly because I have grown used to him (and he looks appropriately Nordic, in a way). And Bofur I am not crazy about, though he does exude some sense of extreme dwarvishness, in his own way.

duats
Grey Havens

Jul 3 2012, 5:15pm

Post #147 of 324 (10425 views)
Shortcut
I'm surprised you don't have Thorin on there [In reply to] Can't Post

Being the dwarf KING, in some ways I find his beard the most egregious of the bunch. To put it frankly, I find it pathetic that Thorin is put to shame by so many of the other dwarves.

I'm sorry, but if Ian McKellen and Christopher Lee can deliver excellent performances with long beards, then there's no excuse for this - save for the blatant attempt at sex appeal.

(This post was edited by duats on Jul 3 2012, 5:17pm)

artemy
Lorien

Jul 3 2012, 5:33pm

Post #148 of 324 (10979 views)
Shortcut
From the vlogs [In reply to] Can't Post

I got the impression that the reason Kili doesn't have a full beard (and Fili has a pretty short one) is because they're still young and haven't grown them out yet. Had they lived as long as the others, they could well have cultivated magnificent long beards.

~Beneath the sun, all things must wear to an end at last~

duats
Grey Havens

Jul 3 2012, 5:38pm

Post #149 of 324 (10396 views)
Shortcut
Except that blatantly goes against Tolkien [In reply to] Can't Post

As dwarves are born with beards. I mean, even the female dwarves have beards.

But even if they weren't, are we really supposed to believe that a dwarf doesn't grow a beard during the first 80 years of their lives (assuming they remain faithful to Kili and Fili's ages)?

(This post was edited by duats on Jul 3 2012, 5:40pm)

droidsocket
Lorien

Jul 3 2012, 5:48pm

Post #150 of 324 (9960 views)
Shortcut
I can't answer all of your questions. But.. [In reply to] Can't Post

From what I understand. The color loss has more to do with the 3d rig they are shooting through.

And I don't think they have to bump color across the board to achieve what they want in post. For example. They need to bump the red up in the prosthetic makeup. But don't have to in the regular face makeup.

This is not new to movie making. Film makers that used celluloid and traditional cameras still had to make desisions on what film stock would best suit their story that had there own pros and cons.

When filming Aliens Stan Winston's creature shop had to paint all the highlights on the queen alien a fairly bright blue. So that on the film it would show up the way they wanted it too..

Nothing to worry about. IMO

(This post was edited by droidsocket on Jul 3 2012, 5:49pm)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 13 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.