Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
SCOD: Gandalf against the wall of the Mazurbul Chamber

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

Jul 3 2012, 10:56am

Post #1 of 24 (996 views)
Shortcut
SCOD: Gandalf against the wall of the Mazurbul Chamber Can't Post

larger image HERE

Hello good people! Welcome to the first Screencap of the day for July!
So we have Gandalf looking darn exhausted, looking at Frodo who's just been apparently impaled by the mighty Cave Troll.
Feel free to answer me these questions three... I mean five, or none at all (ere the other side ye see) Smile.

1. There is a tiny detail that is noticable on Gandalf's left side (his left) that took me by surprise. Can you spot it and had you noticed it before? Speculate!

2. Gandalf's reaction to Frodo's impalement, do you like? Comment.

3. This sequence is done in slow motion in the film if I remember correctly, what do you think of slo-mo parts like this?

4. I'm a Tolkien script enthusiast (tengwar, cirth etc.) and only last year did I realise, on my HD laptop rather than my cruddy box TV that the walls of the Chamber of Mazarbul (Balin's Tomb) were covered in Dwarvish Runes, which got me all fired up! What do you think of this design?

(If you're wondering if there's anything interesting carved, well so far it's just gibberish to me. The middle two lines on this piece of wall for eg.) say NIR T and REGI)

5. Anything else? Smile

Join us over at Barliman's chat all day, any day!

Laketown guy: What have the dwarves -ever- done for us?

Bard: The aqueduct!

Laketown guy: Piss off! We're not from Dale

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Jul 3 2012, 2:40pm

Post #2 of 24 (567 views)
Shortcut
Good one [In reply to] Can't Post

1. The dwarf runes? In particular, the G rune? The G rune on his staff?

2. Seemed very appropriate, as all of McKellen's acting is...

3. I really, truly dislike the use of slo-mo in these films. It is often so gratuitous and heavy-handed, that I am forced to, well, fast-forward (thus defeating the purpose of slo-mo to begin with...)!

4. I love this detail. The Chamber looks excellent in the film, and I find the lighting to be especially evocative.

5. Gandalf truly is the shining star of these films. Without him, and McKellen's brilliant performance, I might not be inclined to watch them at all.

Nuradar
Rohan

Jul 3 2012, 2:46pm

Post #3 of 24 (545 views)
Shortcut
tiny detail, eh? [In reply to] Can't Post

1. There is a tiny detail that is noticable on Gandalf's left side (his left) that took me by surprise. Can you spot it and had you noticed it before? Speculate!
The only things I notice are the black mark on his left middle finger (ouch, looks like that one hurt), and the the clump of hair hanging down his left cheek. The hair looks very funny, like the entire clump is hanging by one hair over his left eye. If that's what you mean, then, no, I hadn't noticed it before. The magic of screencaps - they let you see these details, don't they?

So well done. Despair, disbelief, shock. All in one face. McKellan is genius.

3. This sequence is done in slow motion in the film if I remember correctly, what do you think of slo-mo parts like this?
I think they work very well. PJ used it a lot, but I think each instance was effective, especially when you're focusing on such talented actors and it's accompanied by Howard Shore's incredible music.

4. I'm a Tolkien script enthusiast (tengwar, cirth etc.) and only last year did I realise, on my HD laptop rather than my cruddy box TV that the walls of the Chamber of Mazarbul (Balin's Tomb) were covered in Dwarvish Runes, which got me all fired up! What do you think of this design?
(If you're wondering if there's anything interesting carved, well so far it's just gibberish to me. The middle two lines on this piece of wall for eg.) say NIR T and REGI)

Makes the chamber seem authentic.

5. Anything else? Smile

Not today - thanks for posting!

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 3 2012, 3:44pm

Post #4 of 24 (547 views)
Shortcut
I've never spotted that before! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
1. The dwarf runes? In particular, the G rune? The G rune on his staff?

And didn't even find it while having a good look earlier Laugh

Elven
Valinor

Jul 3 2012, 5:16pm

Post #5 of 24 (538 views)
Shortcut
How did it come to this... [In reply to] Can't Post

... Ah, nice catch there with the Rune! A lovely touch!

... His face tells me that this was his fear realized, his decision to not want to go through the mines was seemingly grounded - his concern and love for Frodo - instant disaster - regret - failed wisdom - shock and disbelief. Sir Ian refelected such a slather of emotion here in one look that I think he looks bombarded with the thoughts running through his mind when he saw what had happened to Frodo.

I dont mind slo-motion, a tool to underline the ramifications of the scene - it worked for me Smile

Wasn't this the wall of controversy when a Chppy (Carpenter) made the remark to someone that the Runes said 'Frodo was here' and other such things. Didnt David Salo have to be called in to interpret the walls to check there was no such thing written on them Laugh. I think it held up shooting at the time. The Chippy - who was identified later - said he was just joking about it.

5. Anything else?
Just a thankyou to you for a wonderful post!

Cheers
Elven

batik
Tol Eressea

Jul 4 2012, 2:37am

Post #6 of 24 (522 views)
Shortcut
can we get someone from makeup in here? [In reply to] Can't Post

Er-nope! What do you see? I will have to cheat and read other replies, I suppose.

Yep. Devastated.

I like slo-mo when I don't focus on it being slo-mo!

The fine details (like the carvings) are always a plus for me.

5. Anything else? WinkWink Yes. Is Legolas' hair at all mussed in this scene?

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Jul 4 2012, 4:10am

Post #7 of 24 (516 views)
Shortcut
The problem here [In reply to] Can't Post

Is that the slo-mo is so extreme that it can't help but draw attention to itself as a not-so-subtly manipulative technique.

I just wish PJ trusted his actors more...

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Jul 4 2012, 6:40pm

Post #8 of 24 (483 views)
Shortcut
Aside: 48 fps makes the use of slow motion even easier [In reply to] Can't Post

High resolution slow motion is showing up everywhere these days, most notably in music videos. It's become trendy one might say.

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Jul 5 2012, 1:55am

Post #9 of 24 (451 views)
Shortcut
Good eye; I don't think I would have noticed that. [In reply to] Can't Post

Now that it's been pointed out, yes, it seems obvious, but otherwise, I'd have been looking right past it taking it for part of the natural texture of the staff. I have often wondered where the wizards get their staff? After Gandalf falls and is left naked, he is said to have been clothed in his white robes by Galadrial (if I remember correctly). Did she also provide him with his new staff? And it also makes me wonder what Radagast's staff will look like???

Ian McKellen can do no wrong. He's brilliant.

I think slo-mo can be over done, but I think it works here. Some scenes just seem to call for slo-mo, otherwise they can feel a bit too abrupt.

When I've watched the DVD's on my laptop I've been so amazed at the clarity compared to my also cruddy TV Laugh that I forget to watch what's happening and become completely absorbed in looking at all the details. I don't remember spotting the runes here, though. Gotta love screen caps! Gotta love all the amazing attention to detail.

5. Anything else? Smile

I don't remember where the crystal in the top of the staff came from. Did Gandalf just happen to find an appropriate crystal right at the entrance to the mines, or did he have it in his pocket like one might carry a flashlight (torch)? Not being nit-picky, just wondering.

And oh yes, Thanks Xanaseb!Smile

Longbottom Leaf
Rivendell

Jul 6 2012, 12:49am

Post #10 of 24 (440 views)
Shortcut
Two good questions.. [In reply to] Can't Post

1.Where do wizards get there staff?
Maybe they make their own like the Jedi. "I see you have constructed a new lightsaber"

2. Where did Gandalf get the crystal for his staff?
I think he must have had it on his person but I don't know.

Can anyone shed any light on these? Particularly question 1

The best weed in the southfarthing!

imin
Valinor

Jul 6 2012, 12:56am

Post #11 of 24 (407 views)
Shortcut
Questions [In reply to] Can't Post

Question 1. Ollivanders? lol. Maybe he finds a branch and carves it himself, at least for gandalf the grey?

Question 2. He finds the crystal?

Longbottom Leaf
Rivendell

Jul 6 2012, 1:49am

Post #12 of 24 (449 views)
Shortcut
During battle he once.. [In reply to] Can't Post

Grabbed a tree branch and fashioned it into a make-shift staff. Hence the nickname "Gandalf Oaken Staff". Or maybe you're right...Ollivanders haha. I think he got the crystal from Zod in Superman II

The best weed in the southfarthing!

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Jul 6 2012, 4:39am

Post #13 of 24 (423 views)
Shortcut
Underline [In reply to] Can't Post

That's a good word. Underline. PJ tends to underline everything with a thick black marker, as if to say: Do you get it?!! Do you understand how important this moment is?!!

Personally, I find it insulting.

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Jul 6 2012, 5:58am

Post #14 of 24 (389 views)
Shortcut
I like the Jedi comparison [In reply to] Can't Post

Each staff seems to reflect the personality of it's wizard. It makes sence that wizards would make their own.

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Jul 6 2012, 6:00am

Post #15 of 24 (424 views)
Shortcut
Ollivander's side business: Ollivander's Staff Emporium :) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

Jul 6 2012, 12:25pm

Post #16 of 24 (388 views)
Shortcut
Nice discussion people! :D and yeah I was thinking of both the rune and the weird mark on Gandy's hand [In reply to] Can't Post

I was thinking of saying 'two tiny details' but then I thought that maybe it was common knowledge that there was a 'G' rune on Gandalf's staff... so I changed it Wink

I was just thinking though, -is- that mark on his finger a burn mark? I thought maybe it was the troll's blood? Hard to tell.

Plus, in every shot where his hand is visible in the next sequence, the mark has disappeared.... obviously down to it being filmed at a different time... but it shows that there -are- tiny incontinuities that are inevitable Tongue

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

Jul 6 2012, 12:27pm

Post #17 of 24 (390 views)
Shortcut
On the crystal, I thought that that it could have looked better IMO. Still awesome though // [In reply to] Can't Post

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Jul 6 2012, 3:45pm

Post #18 of 24 (373 views)
Shortcut
Until now [In reply to] Can't Post

I had not noticed the G rune on Gandalf's staff.

Has that ever been discussed before?

MatthewJer18
Rohan

Jul 6 2012, 4:17pm

Post #19 of 24 (391 views)
Shortcut
I think PJ [In reply to] Can't Post

used the technique at appropriate points (with the orcs, for instance), and his interesting style somehow made it work. I do like how it slowed after Frodo was stabbed, contrasting with the pace of the battle, although I understand why others don't.

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 6 2012, 4:57pm

Post #20 of 24 (377 views)
Shortcut
not to my knowledge... [In reply to] Can't Post

...and I even have a number of shots of Gandalf the Grey's staves and I've never noticed it.

actually, now that I look at those images, I'm not so sure it's a G rune.

here's the album: https://picasaweb.google.com/...erLookGandalfSStaves

I was only attempting to gather shots that identified the root structure - not the carving.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Jul 6 2012, 5:53pm

Post #21 of 24 (358 views)
Shortcut
Hmm... [In reply to] Can't Post

To me it looks like two overlapping G runes...

Nice digging!

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 6 2012, 5:57pm

Post #22 of 24 (352 views)
Shortcut
Thanks Magpie [In reply to] Can't Post

Well there definitely is a marking there. I agree with Shelob'sAppetite - looks like two G runes overlapping

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

Jul 6 2012, 10:23pm

Post #23 of 24 (395 views)
Shortcut
yup overlapping G runes. though of course one of them is mirrored. [In reply to] Can't Post

If that one were to be read as an ordinary Cirth rune then it''d be 'GH' however. Though I can't se that being the case hehe

Mauricio
Bree

Jul 9 2012, 10:36pm

Post #24 of 24 (498 views)
Shortcut
His pipe!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

IŽd never seen it before!!!

It's right there in the middle of the staff while he walks with Saruman!! This is one of the many reasons I love the trilogy, you can come back to it and find new things almost every time.

https://picasaweb.google.com/.../5503426143552420418

Hello everybody, please help win tickets for The Dark Knight Rises premiere in Mexico City, all you have to do is "Like" the drawing on the following link:
http://www.facebook.com/...theater¬if_t=like
Thanks, it really means a lot!!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.