Entertainment Weekly Hobbit cover
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 13 Next page Last page  View All

DarkJackal
Rohan

Jul 3 2012, 8:04am

Post #76 of 324 (10840 views)
Shortcut
I know how Elrond feels [In reply to] Can't Post

Also Gollum looks like he's trying to do unbearably cute kitten eyes. I think it's making me a little sick.

dormouse
Half-elven

Jul 3 2012, 8:07am

Post #77 of 324 (12677 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for that, Magpie! [In reply to] Can't Post

Much appreciated.

Good to see dwarves with hoods on. Gandalf in the Shire. Elrond. Barrels. All of it, really.

But the thing that catches my eye most is this:

To expand the classic J.R.R. Tolkien book so that it could support two feature films, Jackson drew from a range of Tolkien’s writings, adding characters not present in the Hobbit book, including Orlando Bloom’s elf Legolas and Cate Blachett’s elven rule Galadriel. “In the movie we want these characters to have story lines and a little more substance than they do in the book,” Jackson explains. “Almost everything we’re doing is from Tolkien somewhere, whether it’s in the book or the subsequent development that wasn’t published in The Hobbit itself.”
(quoted from Captain Salt's post on page 1)

So... Legolas and Galadriel - and presumably, by implication, others not in The Hobbit book will have story lines and almost all the new/expanded material will be drawn from somewhere in Tolkien's writings. I am really, really intrigued now to see what it is that they've done. It sounds as if they might have negotiated permission to use something from Unfinished Tales, though he may just be referring to the Appendices. I'm curious, anyway, and I like the emphasis he places on sticking to Tolkien.

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

Jul 3 2012, 9:19am

Post #78 of 324 (10647 views)
Shortcut
LOL Lusitano hilarious post :D // [In reply to] Can't Post

SlyLaugh

Gollum does look more innocent in that shot I do admit. I souldn't say that he looks overly younger though.

Join us over at Barliman's chat all day, any day!

Laketown guy: What have the dwarves -ever- done for us?

Bard: The aqueduct!

Laketown guy: Piss off! We're not from Dale

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Jul 3 2012, 9:30am

Post #79 of 324 (10698 views)
Shortcut
So the first movie ends ...spolier [In reply to] Can't Post

Reading the article the images seem to be of the first film, so i presume that an unexpected journey ends, when the journey actually ends, when they arrive to the last scenario, laketown and the mountain, after that i suposse we only have there and back againTongue

ElendilTheShort
Gondor

Jul 3 2012, 9:38am

Post #80 of 324 (11382 views)
Shortcut
Imin [In reply to] Can't Post

although the blade may look cumbersome, done correctly it would start out thicker at the guard, say 6 to 7 mm on the spine of the blade which is the edge opposite the cutting edge of the blade, and gradually taper to be only 2mm thick at the spine for the last section of the blade. So even though the end of the blade is very wide, it is very thin in cross section, meaning that the cutting planes are very acute to the edge, perfect for cleaving goblins.

Thorin must be showing the sword off to some ladies or something, if not and that is meant to be a guarding position it is terrible. I don't care about that as much as I care about this being the best shot so far of Orcrist. From a collecting point of view I am so glad they made it so different and distinctive, I really hope UC or whoever does it really do it justice.

ElendilTheShort
Gondor

Jul 3 2012, 9:47am

Post #81 of 324 (10550 views)
Shortcut
Gollum [In reply to] Can't Post

should look much healthier and younger because although the One Ring had stretched out his life at the time of the hobbit he was, better fed, not exhausted by years of travel, relatively comfortable and fearless in what he had made his home, in possession of the One Ring as opposed to being wretched for decades about it's loss and finally he had not been subjected to the torture he suffeted in Barad-dur. So relatively speaking TH Gollum was quite the catch as opposed to LOTR Gollum.

(This post was edited by ElendilTheShort on Jul 3 2012, 9:49am)

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 3 2012, 10:00am

Post #82 of 324 (10491 views)
Shortcut
Yes he should [In reply to] Can't Post

It's the improved technology and "cutesie" eyes that make him look younger. I wouldn't expect to look older Wink

It's a shame they didn't give him slightly more hair.

ElendilTheShort
Gondor

Jul 3 2012, 10:17am

Post #83 of 324 (10832 views)
Shortcut
And a few more teeth [In reply to] Can't Post

as well as being quite ripped and buffed having a regular and extensive boating and swimming exercise regime while maintaing a high protein fish and orc meat diet. Gollum the jock.

imin
Valinor

Jul 3 2012, 10:47am

Post #84 of 324 (10883 views)
Shortcut
No couldnt get one :( [In reply to] Can't Post

I went to two supermarkets as well! I thought now im out im going to get one but the dont have any not even the last issue :(

I think i will have to give it a few days or wait til someone gets it on here Tongue

imin
Valinor

Jul 3 2012, 10:53am

Post #85 of 324 (10844 views)
Shortcut
Thank you for explaining about the sword [In reply to] Can't Post

I did think it looked cool but as you say a little cumbersome but i think that's because i haven't seen a great deal of swords and when someone says sword to me i think of a medieval broadsword.

Its good to know that it has been properly designed (as i also found out from DarkJackal).

Is there any advantage to having the cutting edge of the blade only on one side? Or is it more effective at cutting through things due to having that spine and then very fine cutting edge?

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 3 2012, 11:22am

Post #86 of 324 (10553 views)
Shortcut
I'm going to go to my local supermarket after work and try and get one [In reply to] Can't Post

Were they big supermarkets? Some small ones take a while to refresh their magazine stands

ElendilTheShort
Gondor

Jul 3 2012, 11:23am

Post #87 of 324 (10707 views)
Shortcut
The single edge [In reply to] Can't Post

allows for more acute bevels when considering equivalent widths of blades. The European medieval equivalent or similar is the Falchion or also Messers. Unfortunately cutting effectiveness is not a quick explanation but it enough to say these types of single edged weapons were more effective cutters than many of their contemporary two edged cousins. But cutting is just one of many numerous aspects of a sword as a weapon and two edged weapons were much more common in Europe. Whether this was due to overall superiority as a weapon, ease of construction or some other unknown factor is anyones guess. For example why were single edges more commonly found in Eastern cultures? One disadvantage of single edged weapons is some such as one I own have no back edge, and there are many considerations for attack with the back edge of a two edged weapon. So there are obvious benefits and drawbacks for both single and two edged weapons but the truth is no one, even sword scholars know anywhere near all the truths. Swords evolved due to development in armour, that much is obvious but there was still reasonable diversity. Know this much, there is not much evidence that swords did much or any cutting through armour. Some swords were designed to thrust throughs gaps in armour, but generally successful cut attacks were to unprotected or poorly protected body parts, so next time you see a sword slice or cleave theough maille (chain mail) or plates of armour on TV or at the movies, do not believe that is how it happened.

(This post was edited by ElendilTheShort on Jul 3 2012, 11:27am)

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Jul 3 2012, 11:27am

Post #88 of 324 (10695 views)
Shortcut
Perhaps you should take your own advise.// [In reply to] Can't Post

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

imin
Valinor

Jul 3 2012, 11:35am

Post #89 of 324 (10805 views)
Shortcut
One normal sized, one small [In reply to] Can't Post

I went to my local but normal sized Tesco, then went to my very local small Asda. There is a massive Asda but its the other side of the city and im not going all that way for a magazine!

I think you will find it, it probably just hadn't been put out yet, though i am surprised with Tesco.

imin
Valinor

Jul 3 2012, 11:39am

Post #90 of 324 (11146 views)
Shortcut
Haha, i will pick up on every fault now! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for explaining again! I find it really interesting, i think i will have to look into it, in more depth. Would love to try out a proper sword (not on someone!) but just swinging it around and training with someone.

If the sword hits chain mail, would it cause an impact/crushing injury or be a little ineffective?

aifeme
Rivendell

Jul 3 2012, 12:10pm

Post #91 of 324 (11113 views)
Shortcut
Kili [In reply to] Can't Post

I just cannot stand him. Kili's design really makes me sad and bothers me a lot.

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 3 2012, 12:20pm

Post #92 of 324 (10742 views)
Shortcut
What bothers you about Kili? [In reply to] Can't Post

He has grown on me so much since last year.

aifeme
Rivendell

Jul 3 2012, 12:27pm

Post #93 of 324 (10745 views)
Shortcut
You really don't know? [In reply to] Can't Post

I mean it's obvious...Kili is just a shortened elf with bigger ears and palms. He doesn't fit completely, I don't know why PJ doesn't realise that.

Macfeast
Rohan

Jul 3 2012, 12:40pm

Post #94 of 324 (10557 views)
Shortcut
The shot of... [In reply to] Can't Post

...Gollum really took me by surprise. I don't know why, but for some reason I was expecting them to keep him "in the dark" until the movie. Yet there he was, all out in the open, staring at us with these unbearably cute kitten eyes Tongue

It's a shame that the pictures were not in higher resolution. I would love to get a closer look at Orcrist; That's probably the best shot we have of it.

(This post was edited by Macfeast on Jul 3 2012, 12:43pm)

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 3 2012, 12:48pm

Post #95 of 324 (10594 views)
Shortcut
I wanted to confirm what you thought was wrong with him / [In reply to] Can't Post

imin
Valinor

Jul 3 2012, 12:57pm

Post #96 of 324 (10840 views)
Shortcut
What did you not like about him before but now dont mind/like? [In reply to] Can't Post

I asked this question on page 2 but the other poster hasn't been back on here as far as i am aware.

My initial reasons for not liking him was i felt he looked way too much like a man/elf with no beard and just didn't look stocky enough to be a dwarf, but mainly i felt it was the lack of beard and just his face wasn't dwarvish.

I understand though they have made him this way to get the ladies to like the hot dwarf and probably to just show he is younger.

I have come to accept that is how he looks and when i watch the films it wont ruin my enjoyment of them at all as i will just accept that's how he looks. But i still think he looks like a man rather than a dwarf, though like i said in the previous post the costume they are all wearing are excellent.

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 3 2012, 1:05pm

Post #97 of 324 (10833 views)
Shortcut
I thought this too [In reply to] Can't Post

When the pictures of the Dwarves were released, I was disappointed most by Kili, and thought the same as you:

My initial reasons for not liking him was i felt he looked way too much like a man/elf with no beard and just didn't look stocky enough to be a dwarf, but mainly i felt it was the lack of beard and just his face wasn't dwarvish.

Now I am use to seeing Kili, and quite like the way he looks. Yes he's not how I imagined, but there are many things with the LOTR trilogy that I didn't imagine, and they still worked brilliantly. Plus, this promo picture is far better then that awful thing we got to start out with:

http://www.ew.com/...420,00.html#21179590

imin
Valinor

Jul 3 2012, 1:13pm

Post #98 of 324 (10538 views)
Shortcut
Yeah fair enough [In reply to] Can't Post

I think that is fairly similar to how i feel - accepted but not what was imagined by either of us. Like you said there were parts of the LOTR which i didnt imagine them to look or be as they were but i feel they worked out for the better which are the little parts of the film i try to keep in mind when i re-read the LOTR.

The promo shots of pretty much all of them were terrible! Made Thorin look like a Klingon! Now i have seen him in the trailer i really like the look Thorin has and like we have said Orcrist looks incredible. Fili has grown on me, in that i think in the latest photos he looks more dwarf like to me, i think Kili is just going to take that little bit longer to go from accepting to kinda liking, lol. I actually thought Aiden Turner looked better with his beard he grew himself but maybe they tried it out and felt its too much for the youngest dwarf for the films.

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 3 2012, 1:21pm

Post #99 of 324 (11339 views)
Shortcut
Edit: wrong picture linked [In reply to] Can't Post

I meant this one:

http://www.theonering.net/...bit/characters/kili/

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 3 2012, 1:22pm

Post #100 of 324 (10345 views)
Shortcut
He's certainly not my favourite dwarf [In reply to] Can't Post

And I still like his look the least, but he's grown on me, which is a good thing (I suppose) Wink

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 13 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.