Entertainment Weekly Hobbit cover
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 13 Next page Last page  View All

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Jul 3 2012, 2:03am

Post #51 of 324 (8593 views)
Shortcut
reply [In reply to] Can't Post

Curious...my first impression of hugo was that he looks younger! But i suppose even if we notice hes older, well, thats unavoidable...

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Jul 3 2012, 2:04am

Post #52 of 324 (10948 views)
Shortcut
Gollum... [In reply to] Can't Post

I like how Gollum looks similar to the iconic 'fish' picture... The one which PJ said most closely resembled his vision of Gollum.

"...For if joyful is the fountain that rises in the sun, its springs are in the wells of sorrow unfathomed at the foundations of the Earth"

imin
Valinor

Jul 3 2012, 2:09am

Post #53 of 324 (10607 views)
Shortcut
Yeah i think overall its barely noticeable [In reply to] Can't Post

I think he probably just needs a good nights sleep, haha

Apexman13
Bree

Jul 3 2012, 2:13am

Post #54 of 324 (10922 views)
Shortcut
a still from motion. [In reply to] Can't Post

Its always hard to judge the appearance of someone in a still. Elrond is looking down and contemplating, probably about to look up and say something. and Gollums eyes are definitely different-larger due to being in the cave no doubt. Im sure everything will look different in motion.

imin
Valinor

Jul 3 2012, 2:14am

Post #55 of 324 (10775 views)
Shortcut
Thank you for that. [In reply to] Can't Post

Very interesting to read and the site overall looks fantastic as well Smile Its nice to know the sword design has been thoroughly thought through, though i knew it would i didnt know the reasoning behind it but now i do, so cheers for that!

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Jul 3 2012, 2:25am

Post #56 of 324 (10750 views)
Shortcut
Gollum in motion... [In reply to] Can't Post

I can tell already, Gollum's face is going to move much more realistically in this film. Facial motion-capture has come a long way since LotR, this photo excites me more than the others. Cannot wait!

"...For if joyful is the fountain that rises in the sun, its springs are in the wells of sorrow unfathomed at the foundations of the Earth"

eralkfang
Lorien

Jul 3 2012, 2:27am

Post #57 of 324 (10917 views)
Shortcut
How exciting! [In reply to] Can't Post

The cover is off, but the rest of the photos are glorious—I'm especially fond of the last photo of Thorin, because that is a Dwarven King.

Gollum's face does seem to be a bit off to me, but I've just rewatched the films and technology does march on; a 2003 Gollum would look odd next to 2012 spiders and the like, even though the concept tempts me…

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 3 2012, 3:00am

Post #58 of 324 (10794 views)
Shortcut
Nice catch! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's also interesting to compare the two staffs (staves?). I love, love, love the flame-top design of Gandalf's Hobbit staff - a great nod Narya.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

duats
Grey Havens

Jul 3 2012, 3:04am

Post #59 of 324 (11081 views)
Shortcut
The shot of Gandalf in the Shire [In reply to] Can't Post

Is the best of the bunch. Unquestionably.

Lissuin
Valinor

Jul 3 2012, 4:57am

Post #60 of 324 (11044 views)
Shortcut
The dwarves' hood colors [In reply to] Can't Post

A few of them seem to have the colors from the book:
Kili - blue
Dori - purple cape and, I assume, hood
Ori - grey
Oin - grey
Gloin - his coat is brown anyway
Balin - dark red coat

6 out of 13? And you're obsessing about this why, Lissuin?!Tongue

Thanks, Magpie. Fun pics.

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Jul 3 2012, 5:15am

Post #61 of 324 (11288 views)
Shortcut
Does anyone (you) actually read what posters write? [In reply to] Can't Post

Since you responded to me, I will have to reiterate an important part of my post:

I think they won't be as garish as this photo, however, and I base that primarily on the shot of Bilbo in the spiders' den from the teaser trailer, where the colors seem to all be dark blues and black.

As these EW photos are not actual shots from the film, but behind-the-scenes, I assumed that this was the reason for the colors still being rather garish. The teaser reveals a much muter palette, and from watching the relevant vlog, I am aware that this is largely due to RED Epics eating color.

So please, before you spout off insulting tripe, try actually reading the posts you're responding to.

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Jul 3 2012, 5:40am

Post #62 of 324 (10534 views)
Shortcut
In what way? [In reply to] Can't Post

IMO, they look almost identical to themselves in LOTR...

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Jul 3 2012, 6:23am

Post #63 of 324 (10600 views)
Shortcut
Welll... [In reply to] Can't Post

Actually, yes, I read it.

My reply was a rhetorical question to you about others' posts and not a question at you. I took advantage of your post, being one of the few lacking amnesia, as an open post to all the others suffering from said amnesia. In other words I was spouting insulting tripe to the other posts while pretending to talk to you. I think you misunderstood. Does that make it any better?

Evil

(This post was edited by JWPlatt on Jul 3 2012, 6:25am)

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 3 2012, 6:41am

Post #64 of 324 (10706 views)
Shortcut
I hate all this photoshopped crap! [In reply to] Can't Post

Look at Bilbo on the cover... he looks horribly tanned. And what's with his "Come hither!" look on that cheeky face!? And why is the entire picture elongated!?

I wonder what the deal is with overusing Photoshop. They also went overboard with the Dwarf pics we got last year.

I just wish they'd stick with the natural photographs like they did with LOTR. The overuse of Photoshop is, imo, ridiculous when it's so freaking obvious.

I'm stuck between geeky excitement and cringing Unimpressed

The Plan 9 Interview... in celebration of the 10th anniversary of the release of The Fellowship of the Ring.

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Jul 3 2012, 6:45am

Post #65 of 324 (10870 views)
Shortcut
Ha! [In reply to] Can't Post

It only makes it better, in the sense that I understand you were doing the opposite of insulting me. I apologize for the misunderstanding (quite typical of internet communications).

But you should not go around insulting other people.

Honestly! Smile

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 3 2012, 6:48am

Post #66 of 324 (10550 views)
Shortcut
Definitely similar to Sting and not Glamdring ... / [In reply to] Can't Post

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 3 2012, 6:49am

Post #67 of 324 (10941 views)
Shortcut
Elrond looks like he needs a good sleep, and Gollum looks younger! / [In reply to] Can't Post

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 3 2012, 6:51am

Post #68 of 324 (11075 views)
Shortcut
Overused photoshop [In reply to] Can't Post

Bilbo looks like a peeping Tom, and Gandalf just looks plain ridiculous. Bilbo looks very silly next to Gandalf. Poor photoshopping if you ask me Wink

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 3 2012, 6:52am

Post #69 of 324 (10741 views)
Shortcut
Did you get a copy of the magazine yet? / [In reply to] Can't Post

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 3 2012, 6:52am

Post #70 of 324 (10667 views)
Shortcut
I hadn't connected the flame design with Narya! Good call! / [In reply to] Can't Post

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 3 2012, 6:53am

Post #71 of 324 (10426 views)
Shortcut
I agree Earl. [In reply to] Can't Post

The cover leaves a bad taste in my mouth Unimpressed Wink

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 3 2012, 6:53am

Post #72 of 324 (10608 views)
Shortcut
Okay that needs to go on gramma's Geeky Observation List :o) // [In reply to] Can't Post

The Plan 9 Interview... in celebration of the 10th anniversary of the release of The Fellowship of the Ring.

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Jul 3 2012, 6:56am

Post #73 of 324 (10533 views)
Shortcut
Taste [In reply to] Can't Post

It always comes back to food, doesn't it?

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 3 2012, 7:04am

Post #74 of 324 (10640 views)
Shortcut
With me it does [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink
How about visual pollution?

DarkJackal
Rohan

Jul 3 2012, 7:59am

Post #75 of 324 (10890 views)
Shortcut
Bilbo the Creeper [In reply to] Can't Post

Great, now I'm going to think of that when I look at it.

Without doubt it struck me more positively. Bilbo just looks like "Screw with me and my wizard will mess you up!"

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 13 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.