The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Entertainment Weekly Hobbit cover
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 13 Next page Last page  View All

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 2 2012, 11:14pm

Post #26 of 324 (11122 views)
Shortcut
It's interesting to note that ew.com has disabled comments for their post [In reply to] Can't Post

This is an unusual step for them. In fact, I'm not sure I've ever seen it happen before - although I probably read only a fraction of posts on that site.

I've seen very contentious issues allowing comments and all of the Hobbit posts up till now have allowed comments. I'm not sure why this one isn't.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 2 2012, 11:14pm

Post #27 of 324 (11121 views)
Shortcut
Nah, it seems like to much hassle [In reply to] Can't Post

Facebook is annoying as it is. The last thing I need in my life is another social network site where people tell me what they're doing every 5 minutes Wink

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 2 2012, 11:19pm

Post #28 of 324 (10917 views)
Shortcut
You can still comment on the pictures though / [In reply to] Can't Post

LordMaximus
Rivendell

Jul 2 2012, 11:26pm

Post #29 of 324 (10929 views)
Shortcut
Thorin's sword looks pretty cool in that photo! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Jul 2 2012, 11:36pm

Post #30 of 324 (10908 views)
Shortcut
I hope not [In reply to] Can't Post

These pictures look great, but if the colors in Mirkwood do actually show up like that, it will be almost impossible for me to even watch it. Psychedlics might be somewhat appropriate for Lewis Carroll, but not Tolkien, IMO.

I think they won't be as garish as this photo, however, and I base that primarily on the shot of Bilbo in the spiders' den from the teaser trailer, where the colors seem to all be dark blues and black.

Yes, the tone of the Hobbit is different, but I hope they don't take that to be an invitation for 20th century style surrealism.

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Jul 2 2012, 11:40pm

Post #31 of 324 (10849 views)
Shortcut
Love the photo of the dwarves in the cavern [In reply to] Can't Post

Very delighted to see that they'll be donning their hooded cloaks from time to time, as we have not seen that until now. Fili, Kili and Nori look great, and quite dwarvish, with their hoods on!

My only worry is that those rocks don't look particularly real...but that's a minor quibble.

(This post was edited by Shelob'sAppetite on Jul 2 2012, 11:47pm)

Gimli1252
Bree

Jul 2 2012, 11:47pm

Post #32 of 324 (10916 views)
Shortcut
Who is that odd little fellow, disguised as Bilbo Baggins ? :-P // [In reply to] Can't Post

''There is one dwarf yet in Moria, who still draws breath''

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Jul 3 2012, 12:17am

Post #33 of 324 (10923 views)
Shortcut
photos [In reply to] Can't Post

Ok, first of all, Thank you Magpie!!! You have given me that strangely familiar warm feeling of excitement that only this universe and these movies can give me...even if its just for
a few minutes Unimpressed...

I was so excited to finally see our first decent, colourfull behind the scenes photos! Gandalf looks so pleased with himself! Am i the only one feels these photos have an air of freshness about them? It really does feel like a different yet familiar story...

Fili and Kili look very dwarvish to me...and thats because its different to see them in character rather in some Durin's Playboy magazine pose Cool

Elrond....what have you been drinking??Wink

And GOLLUMM! My god, i didnt expect to see him! Does anyone else feels like he looks...younger or ...nicerCrazy? He looks...cute!Wink Precious is a beauty isnt he?

Love Gandalfs scarf. Very Istari Wink

And finally...Thorin...Wow!! Doesnt he look different from that very initial photo a year ago?? Or even from the teaser?
A great hero photo... Smile

Now, when the magazine comes out do you think we will have HI Res bigger images? These are soooo small. And some of us cannot buy the magazine...

DanielB , we have similar habitsWink

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Jul 3 2012, 12:37am

Post #34 of 324 (10911 views)
Shortcut
RED [In reply to] Can't Post

Why does everyone seem to have forgotten the video where they explain the psycho colors? That they are compensation for the RED Epic flat cameras? That it will appear more muted in the finished film?

Gosh. One photo and folks go wild with amnesia.

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Jul 3 2012, 12:42am

Post #35 of 324 (10984 views)
Shortcut
I don't think they'd have included the colors in the set's design if they weren't going to remain at least slightly in the actual film... [In reply to] Can't Post

The colors aren't distracting in the EW picture IMO (like the look at it there) and as mentioned, they'll likely be more muted in the final product.

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

artemy
Lorien

Jul 3 2012, 1:01am

Post #36 of 324 (11221 views)
Shortcut
Those pictures! [In reply to] Can't Post

So exciting, I love them all, especially the intricate amount of detail the camera seems to be picking up (the pattern on Elrond's robe for instance). Gollum looks amazing, and significantly younger and less creepy than usual. It's good to see the four on the cliff wearing their hoods and the two hot ones looking particularly dwarvish, as well as that golden shot of them all peeping out of their barrels Laugh

The different colours and tones of each setting are still very prominent, which is something I liked about the trilogy. And are those grey streaks I see in Thorin's hair? The quest must be stressing him out...

~Beneath the sun, all things must wear to an end at last~

(This post was edited by artemy on Jul 3 2012, 1:02am)

Jim
Rivendell

Jul 3 2012, 1:14am

Post #37 of 324 (11665 views)
Shortcut
Cool!...(Spoilers!) [In reply to] Can't Post

Great to finally see some photos from the movies, its been a long time, my take on them..

Photo 1 - Bilbo in Mirkwood, probably rescuing the dwarves from the spiders, is that a dead spider over his left shoulder upside down?
Photo 2 - Gandalf standing outside Bag End
Photo 3 - Since its from the first film it has to be the "High Pass" over the misty mountains
Photo 4 - Elrond reading Thrain's map to find the secret door with Bilbo and Thorin in the background
Photo 5 - Galadriel (Same shot from the trailer)
Photo 6 - Dwarves in barrels in the Elven King wine cellar. Note that Bofur is the only one still wearing his hat and Balin is on top!
Photo 7 - Gollum looking all innocent.
Photos 8, 9 and 10 - Bilbo, Gandalf and Thorin all posing, Thorin looks badass!

imin
Valinor

Jul 3 2012, 1:15am

Post #38 of 324 (11002 views)
Shortcut
Just curious [In reply to] Can't Post

What was it that made the 'hot' dwarves look undwarfish before but now they look most definitely like dwarfs? I'm not having a go or anything I'm just curious.

To me a big factor was the lack of beards with fili and kili. I think kili still looks like a man rather than a dwarf, just a man with a hood on. Saying that i do really like the costume design.

The others look more dwarf like, the lighting is working well for fili (Dean O'Gorman's bone structure looks good and strong, perhaps dwarf like?)

On another note bilbos feet look disproportionately large. I know people think hobbits had large feet but they didnt, apart from Mr Proudfoot and probably his family. But i also realise it would jar to have bilbo having a regular length of foot when in the LOTR they had long feet.

(This post was edited by imin on Jul 3 2012, 1:22am)

DarkJackal
Rohan

Jul 3 2012, 1:15am

Post #39 of 324 (10578 views)
Shortcut
image names [In reply to] Can't Post

If you can find the photographer, or the original image name, you can search that way. That's how I got the largest images of Bilbo and the contract.

DarkJackal
Rohan

Jul 3 2012, 1:19am

Post #40 of 324 (10296 views)
Shortcut
Curious [In reply to] Can't Post

What do you dislike about it??

ElendilTheShort
Gondor

Jul 3 2012, 1:24am

Post #41 of 324 (10485 views)
Shortcut
I'm digging Orcrist [In reply to] Can't Post

let the sword cravings begin

Jim
Rivendell

Jul 3 2012, 1:27am

Post #42 of 324 (11254 views)
Shortcut
Its a beauty... [In reply to] Can't Post

but Anduril will always be number one to me.

imin
Valinor

Jul 3 2012, 1:28am

Post #43 of 324 (10954 views)
Shortcut
Yeah it looks great [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't buy movie memorabilia/replicas now like i did as a young teen but i might have to make an exception for Orcrist!

I have no knowledge of swords and i am just curious about Orcrist. Would its shape effect how it is used or how effective it is?

Carne
Tol Eressea

Jul 3 2012, 1:28am

Post #44 of 324 (10828 views)
Shortcut
Feet [In reply to] Can't Post

In the Empire Magazine Hobbit exclusive last year Jackson mentioned Bilbo having massive hobbit feet. I'm not sure why, but they do indeed look huge.

(This post was edited by Carne on Jul 3 2012, 1:28am)

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Jul 3 2012, 1:41am

Post #45 of 324 (11076 views)
Shortcut
Elrond and Gollum look odd... [In reply to] Can't Post

Just me?

"...For if joyful is the fountain that rises in the sun, its springs are in the wells of sorrow unfathomed at the foundations of the Earth"

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Jul 3 2012, 1:42am

Post #46 of 324 (8743 views)
Shortcut
reply to DarkJackal [In reply to] Can't Post

I think daniel meant the horrible look on bilbos face..its his eyes...i dont know they look weird..he looks weird , very weird...

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Jul 3 2012, 1:46am

Post #47 of 324 (8622 views)
Shortcut
reply to Quackingtroll [In reply to] Can't Post

No, not just you...i think Elrond looks a bit younger...Gollum...i have been looking at older pics of him...and at the risk of sounding premature, i think this new gollum looks much better..in terms of skin, details, with a real feel of being there...also, he looks kinda cute Wink maybe its a smeagol moment..or Bilbo just showed him his Winner of Boar Competition small cup as a proof hes a real hobbit!

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Jul 3 2012, 1:48am

Post #48 of 324 (11252 views)
Shortcut
They both look pretty much identical to me... [In reply to] Can't Post

...by which I mean Elrond and Gollum look identical to each other of course. Evil

Elrond does look a bit shiny, but I think it's the lighting.

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

imin
Valinor

Jul 3 2012, 1:55am

Post #49 of 324 (10746 views)
Shortcut
Elrond looks abit older to me [In reply to] Can't Post

Like others and myself have said i think it looks like he has had a night on the town before this photo was taken (tired, dark eyes, complexion) but then he is portrayed by a human who has aged so its going to happen and its only a tiny amount nothing major, barely noticeable until i compared to Hugo from LOTR.

DarkJackal
Rohan

Jul 3 2012, 2:03am

Post #50 of 324 (10807 views)
Shortcut
Something about Orcrist [In reply to] Can't Post

Imin asked: "I have no knowledge of swords and i am just curious about Orcrist. Would its shape effect how it is used or how effective it is? "

Without a cross-section of the sword it's hard to know exactly, but a while back I wrote a bit about it here:

http://thorinoakenshield.net/...the-sword-of-thorin/

But ElendiltheShort can tell you better how the blades that look similar to it function.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 13 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.