Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
What happened to the nine rings?

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Jun 26 2012, 12:19am

Post #1 of 6 (711 views)
Shortcut
What happened to the nine rings? Can't Post

My friend text me earlier asking "What happened to the nine rings at the end of RotK?" I actually didn't know the answer to this and had never thought about it before...

Are the rings neutral, evil or good without The One? And what happened to the Witch-King's ring when he was destroyed?

Crazy

"...For if joyful is the fountain that rises in the sun, its springs are in the wells of sorrow unfathomed at the foundations of the Earth"

Magpie
Immortal

Jun 26 2012, 12:24am

Post #2 of 6 (320 views)
Shortcut
are you asking specifically movie-verse? [In reply to] Can't Post

If not, you may wish to have this moved to Main or Reading Room.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Jun 26 2012, 3:22am

Post #3 of 6 (295 views)
Shortcut
Both [In reply to] Can't Post

I've very interested in both answers. It seems like that would belong in the LOTR forum.

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Jun 26 2012, 4:56am

Post #4 of 6 (332 views)
Shortcut
In book-verse [In reply to] Can't Post

My understanding is that after the One Ring was destroyed, the lesser rings simply lost their power, as they were all bound to the One (think of the One Ring as the central electricity grid the others are all connected to - once that blows, they all lose their juice). The nine rings likely went the way of the three held by Elrond, Galadriel and Gandalf, which is that they just stopped working.

So, I imagine the Ringwraiths were released from the punishment of their delayed deaths...

Sam20
Lorien

Jul 6 2012, 6:55pm

Post #5 of 6 (234 views)
Shortcut
Rings [In reply to] Can't Post

It seems clear to me that when the One was destroyed in the fire of Mount Doom, the other rings that were enslaved by it probaly weren't of any use anymore in terms of power. Have they remained in Middle-Earth I cannot say but it might well be so becoming only trinkets that were maybe lost in the course of time.

(This post was edited by sam90 on Jul 6 2012, 6:57pm)

Solicitr
Lorien

Sep 8 2012, 1:44pm

Post #6 of 6 (142 views)
Shortcut
No ring there [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
And what happened to the Witch-King's ring when he was destroyed?

The premise in your question is that the W-K had 'his' ring with him at the Pelennor- but Tolkien is very clear that Sauron had taken the Nine Rings back after the Nazgul were well and truly enslaved, millennia before the War of the Ring; in fact, he wouldn't have been able to control them after he lost the One had he not held their rings.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.