Analysing Billy Connolly's Dain Ironfoot
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next page Last page  View All

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Jun 19 2012, 5:36pm

Post #176 of 242 (9951 views)
Shortcut
reply [In reply to] Can't Post

The fabled hospitality of the dwarves...roaring screaming...
squirrel encyclopedia...ripe meat of the surgery table...this, my patient is the home of my MDs ....and they call it a mine...a MINE!

Patient gulps....

DanielLB
Immortal

Jun 19 2012, 5:38pm

Post #177 of 242 (9953 views)
Shortcut
It does raise the question of why the company would take Bifur at all? / [In reply to] Can't Post

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Jun 19 2012, 5:41pm

Post #178 of 242 (9944 views)
Shortcut
They don't have much to work with [In reply to] Can't Post

A motley crew is better than no crew, I suppose.

Plus, I imagine they'll make him a fierce fighter when he finds out what's going on...

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Jun 19 2012, 5:45pm

Post #179 of 242 (9949 views)
Shortcut
Patient consultations... [In reply to] Can't Post

Patient: Hold on, where's my regular surgeon?

Gimli M.D.: Haha!

Patient: Wait a minute...

Gimli M.D.: Certainty of death, small chance of success...What are we waiting for?!! *raises axe above patient's head*

Patient: Nooooooo!!!

DanielLB
Immortal

Jun 19 2012, 5:51pm

Post #180 of 242 (9942 views)
Shortcut
Perhaps Bifur is a Tolkien minority [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink
http://newboards.theonering.net/...?post=458186;#458186

dave_lf
Gondor

Jun 19 2012, 5:51pm

Post #181 of 242 (9922 views)
Shortcut
I think you're on to something [In reply to] Can't Post

Much is explained. Severing the corpus callosum is actually a common last-ditch treatment for severe epilepsy. Clearly Bifur found himself on the receiving end of that procedure, courtesy of Gimli M.D.

DanielLB
Immortal

Jun 19 2012, 5:54pm

Post #182 of 242 (9940 views)
Shortcut
A Witch Doctor [In reply to] Can't Post

Gimli: They say that a great Doctor lives in this hosptial. A witch Doctor of terrible power. All who look upon her, fall under her anesthesia... and are never seen again.

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Jun 19 2012, 5:54pm

Post #183 of 242 (9943 views)
Shortcut
reply to Shelobs Appetite [In reply to] Can't Post

Patient surgery

Patient sits on the surgeons table...but Gimli is too short to properly operate on him...

Assistant: Here MD Gimli, let me help you get u...
Gimli MD: NOBODY tosses a dwarf!....( jumps with raised axe to stick it to the table and secure his feet) UUUAAAAAAAAGGHHH!!

Patient faints....

Oin K
Rivendell

Jun 19 2012, 5:55pm

Post #184 of 242 (10001 views)
Shortcut
So, I found a picture of Billy Connolly's stunt double [In reply to] Can't Post

You guys are not going to like this:
http://i.imgur.com/FP9FM.jpg

In all seriousness, I think a mohawk could be really cool-looking, as well as intimidating or downright terrifying, as long as they don't go overboard with scary tattoos or try to get too over the top awesome with it.

"The Naugrim were ever, as they still remain, short and squat in stature; they were deep-breasted, strong in the arm, and stout in the leg, and their snouts were long. Indeed this strangeness they have that no Man nor Elf has ever seen a snoutless Dwarf - unless he were rhinoplasted in mockery, and would then be more like to die of shame than of many other hurts that to us would seem more deadly. For the Naugrim have snouts from the beginning of their lives, male and female alike..." (History of Middle Earth, volume 11, The War of the Truffles, p. 205)

DanielLB
Immortal

Jun 19 2012, 6:00pm

Post #185 of 242 (9970 views)
Shortcut
Why have a foward-backward mohawk [In reply to] Can't Post

When you can go sideways:

http://www.google.co.uk/...=1t:429,r:1,s:0,i:73

But you raise a good point - all of us (I assume) are thinking of a modern-day mohawk.

There are plenty of acceptible variations - just google weird mohawks Wink

Macfeast
Rohan

Jun 19 2012, 6:33pm

Post #186 of 242 (9917 views)
Shortcut
I can't do this all on my own, no I know, I'm no super-dwarf. [In reply to] Can't Post

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Jun 19 2012, 6:44pm

Post #187 of 242 (9889 views)
Shortcut
reply [In reply to] Can't Post

Every dwarf lies...Wink

Great photo by the way

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Jun 19 2012, 6:48pm

Post #188 of 242 (9900 views)
Shortcut
Haha! [In reply to] Can't Post

Legolas the nurse, of Mirkwood Hospital.

Gimli M.D.: Stitches? Ha! We have a much more efficient solution. Legolas, my laddie, we need your bow!

Legolas: *aims arrow at the patient's incision area*

Patient: *drowsily* Noooooo...ooooo....ooooo...

(This post was edited by Shelob'sAppetite on Jun 19 2012, 6:48pm)

dormouse
Half-elven

Jun 19 2012, 6:53pm

Post #189 of 242 (9923 views)
Shortcut
I don't think they need to make him a fierce fighter... [In reply to] Can't Post

He was one, wasn't he? I was listening to the audio of The Hobbit in the car today and noticed that Bifur and Bombur were singled out as having put up a fierce fight before the trolls caught them.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 19 2012, 7:25pm

Post #190 of 242 (9896 views)
Shortcut
I bet he gets great TV reception on that thing. / [In reply to] Can't Post

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Carne
Tol Eressea

Jun 19 2012, 10:24pm

Post #191 of 242 (9847 views)
Shortcut
Maybe Bofur and Bombur have taken care of him since he went a bit "crazy"? [In reply to] Can't Post

Being family and all they might not want to leave him behind.

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Jun 19 2012, 10:54pm

Post #192 of 242 (9815 views)
Shortcut
That's the impression one gets in the shot where they're attempting to tend(?) to him in one of the vlogs (may have been 3)// [In reply to] Can't Post

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

(This post was edited by Captain Salt on Jun 19 2012, 10:54pm)

droidsocket
Lorien

Jun 19 2012, 10:58pm

Post #193 of 242 (9801 views)
Shortcut
Kinda like... [In reply to] Can't Post

Silent Bob!

It's the adventures of Bilbo and Silent Bifur! Snoochie boochies!

Demosthenes
Sr. Staff

Jun 20 2012, 3:53am

Post #194 of 242 (9777 views)
Shortcut
red hammer ... axe [In reply to] Can't Post

Dain's axe was red.

Worth pointing out.

TheOneRing.net Senior Staff
IRC Admin and Hall of Fire moderator

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Jun 20 2012, 5:00am

Post #195 of 242 (9760 views)
Shortcut
He had common sense and knew when he was outmatched, certainly. [In reply to] Can't Post

He had felt the fear of a mighty Maia Spirit from before the forming of The World, the very demon who had driven the dwarves from Khazad-Dum in the first place, slaying their great kings and routing their armies.

I don't know if there will be a visual nod to The Balrog or not, but I feel if the history of The Dwarves is going to be explored at all, then He must be given some acknowledgement, for he was the chief instrument of their initial and greatest misfortune. The Balrog singlehandedly exiled The Dwarves from the most ancient and mighty homeland they knew. He did from within what Sauron could not manage from without, and in doing so allowed it to devolve into the haven of orcs and trolls that it later became. Following Sauron's hatred for Durin's heirs, as related to the ring they bore but were not subjectated by, The Balrog is the first and worst of the great misfortunes of Durin's house, and also the longest reigning, driving them from their nation and denying them any hope of return for a thousand years.

In Reply To
I left it kinda implicit in my piece as I felt I'd already rabbitted on long enough, but when I referred to Dain's wisdom, the scene between Thrain and Dain was key in my mind.

It would take not just a lot of guts, but a lot of smarts, to reject one's liegelord in such a situation.

Reading the passage in the appendices, and I think it's the only speaking piece he has ANYWHERE, it's clear that he's a thinker as well as a fighter.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Jun 20 2012, 5:07am

Post #196 of 242 (9772 views)
Shortcut
Gimli M.D. continued [In reply to] Can't Post

Patient wakes, and looks around.

Gimli M.D.: Aha! There is one patient in this hospital that still draws breath!!! *raises axe over patient's head*

Patient: Noooooooo!!!!

(This post was edited by Shelob'sAppetite on Jun 20 2012, 5:09am)

dave_lf
Gondor

Jun 20 2012, 12:47pm

Post #197 of 242 (9735 views)
Shortcut
There's no such thing as too much [In reply to] Can't Post

You're killing me with these things. My turn.

Patient: Wait, who are you? Where's my regular surgeon?
Gimli M.D.: Give me your name, and I shall give you mine.
Patient: I'm not so sure about thi...
Gimli M.D.: You might as well accept it.
Patient: No, seriously, I...
Gimli M.D.: Bring your pretty face to my axe!
[Sound effects]
Gimli M.D.: Legolas, two already!
Legolas R.N.: I'm on 17!
Gimil M.D. [to himself]: Let's hope they last the night.

(This post was edited by dave_lf on Jun 20 2012, 12:54pm)

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Jun 20 2012, 1:45pm

Post #198 of 242 (9683 views)
Shortcut
gloin [In reply to] Can't Post

Do you guys think Gloin will be as vigorous and energetic and funny lines giver as his son was in LOTR?

DanielLB
Immortal

Jun 20 2012, 1:56pm

Post #199 of 242 (9716 views)
Shortcut
I'm hoping for similar mannerisms [In reply to] Can't Post

As you say, they are Father and Son afterall. What could Gloin do though, that would represent Gimli?

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Jun 20 2012, 2:40pm

Post #200 of 242 (9681 views)
Shortcut
gloin [In reply to] Can't Post

Well...he already ha a similar look to him....the question of the voice and way of speaking...though i wonder if they chose another vocality, because peter hamblton 's voice is quite different....at least from interviews and vblogs...

He might have a similar fighting style...

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.