Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Was the Croatia-Spain football match that went on yesterday unfairly judged?
Poll: Was the Croatia-Spain football match that went on yesterday unfairly judged?
Yes,it seems that everything is these days...
Nope,it was fair and square.
View Results (8 votes)

Morok Cloudkeeper
Rohan

Jun 19 2012, 12:13pm

Post #1 of 13 (569 views)
Shortcut
Was the Croatia-Spain football match that went on yesterday unfairly judged? Can't Post

It was because of the refferee that Spain scored in the last few minutes of the game,thus sending Croatia home.Even though it was an extremely obvious offside.

imin
Valinor

Jun 19 2012, 12:41pm

Post #2 of 13 (274 views)
Shortcut
its difficult [In reply to] Can't Post

when i watched the game i thought it was offside by a mile but when watching the super slo mo replays i dont think it was an offside goal. His foot was in line with the last croatian player and so not offside. If he was offside then it is by a few millimetres.

There has been way bigger controversies in football championships in my opinion.

KAOS82
Rohan

Jun 19 2012, 11:52pm

Post #3 of 13 (294 views)
Shortcut
stronger teams are always helped [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm italian, I'm happy 4 the qualification to quarter of finals and we'll meet england
if this IRREGOULAR goal wasn't scored we'd face france that I judge less powerful than england
however the match I suppose will end 0-0 cause it was 88 but we'll never know...
and tonight a ghost goal scored by ukraine hasn't been seen by the referees: ABSURDE!!! technology is needed!!!

imin
Valinor

Jun 20 2012, 8:01am

Post #4 of 13 (237 views)
Shortcut
Im English and you are lucky to be facing us not France, lol [In reply to] Can't Post

I think although we have topped the group, i think France can play a lot better, but might not know now they are playing Spain.

I did think it was harsh how Ukraine scored the goal against England and it didn't count but those things happen all the time to England so its just pay back i guess - remember Frank Lampard goal that was miles over the line against Germany in the world cup?

I think the Italy v England match will go to penalties as both teams play boring defensive football and use counter attacking play. I am happy its the Italians than the Spanish but i still think England will lose out to Italy on penalties as that's the English way, haha.

sador
Half-elven

Jun 20 2012, 9:00am

Post #5 of 13 (239 views)
Shortcut
Where's isaac when we need him? [In reply to] Can't Post

Someone should give another point of view...

For myself - I haven't watched the game. Sorry.

(This post was edited by sador on Jun 20 2012, 9:00am)

imin
Valinor

Jun 20 2012, 9:52am

Post #6 of 13 (234 views)
Shortcut
just watched a replay of the 'goal' Ukraine scored [In reply to] Can't Post

Milevskiy was offside in the buildup, should have been called offside anyway, thus shouldn't have stood if given as a goal.

I do agree though technology is sorely needed in football, so many times a goal is given/not given when it shouldn't be. I think it is only a matter of time before it is introduced.

DanielLB
Immortal

Jun 20 2012, 10:22am

Post #7 of 13 (207 views)
Shortcut
I really don't understand the delay [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I do agree though technology is sorely needed in football, so many times a goal is given/not given when it shouldn't be. I think it is only a matter of time before it is introduced.

You don't even need technology. Why not allow the ref to revise his decision, as in rugby. What's the point of playing a game, when it's not fair! One of the many things that annoys me about football...

imin
Valinor

Jun 20 2012, 10:43am

Post #8 of 13 (205 views)
Shortcut
Yeah i dont get it either [In reply to] Can't Post

Just have a video ref like rugby, ah well Rugby is a better game anyway :P

DanielLB
Immortal

Jun 20 2012, 11:02am

Post #9 of 13 (216 views)
Shortcut
Couldn't agree more [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink

ah well Rugby is a better game anyway

Football is for pansies Wink

Finwe
Lorien

Jun 20 2012, 2:21pm

Post #10 of 13 (287 views)
Shortcut
He looked offsides to me [In reply to] Can't Post

Although as a coach, I will say this. I remind my athletes all the time that unless we as a team play perfectly, we have no business pointing the finger at someone externally. This is true across all sports and even in life. The refs made a bad call, but the goaltender could still have made the save. Also, Croatia could have themselves scored a goal. They got blanked, so it's not like the refs snatched a sure victory from them. I don't follow soccer closely outside of the World Cup, but I don't know any team that has ever won a match without scoring a goal. Wink (And yes, I called it soccer. Not because I want to start WWIII, just because that's what everyone calls it where I'm from.) I say these things not to sound condescending towards you, Morok, but just as general advice from one long-time sports fan to another.

Spencissimus
Lorien

Jun 23 2012, 10:22am

Post #11 of 13 (172 views)
Shortcut
I definately think so [In reply to] Can't Post

Refereeing standards in pretty much every football code are way, way down these days. Spain's goal shouldn't have been allowed.

imin
Valinor

Jun 23 2012, 10:52am

Post #12 of 13 (220 views)
Shortcut
Is that the Spain v Croatia goal? [In reply to] Can't Post

As if so it were onside so it was right to be allowed.

On a totally seperate note, did anyone see the score for New Zealand v Ireland in rugby union - i literally was like Shocked when i did! Oh and bad luck to Wales against Australia. Im not meant to like them being english Tongue but really felt for them after being so close the last two games.

Spencissimus
Lorien

Jun 24 2012, 3:43am

Post #13 of 13 (337 views)
Shortcut
Yeah I did [In reply to] Can't Post

Well done to the ABs...they showed against Ireland that they really are the world's best.

Wales was very unlucky...they dominated the second half against the Wallabies, who were let down constantly by Kurtley Beale (who I thought had been brought back into the side way too prematurely) and really poor scrummaging. I reckon we'll have a hard time against the Welsh on their home turf later this year.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.