Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Fan Art:
"The Hobbit" Movie Posters

Bladerunner
Gondor

Jun 16 2012, 2:19am

Post #1 of 13 (2933 views)
Shortcut
"The Hobbit" Movie Posters Can't Post

So what aspect of the story might the next Hobbit movie posters emphasize or showcase?
Here is a small thumbnail of one possible poster concept I put together using Paint and PowerPoint. (Could've done more w/Photoshop :-P).

Some may find it a bit esoteric, esp. with the film's namesake not being shown...

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Jun 16 2012, 3:32am

Post #2 of 13 (800 views)
Shortcut
Love it! [In reply to] Can't Post

Much prefer something like this to the standard 'epic' design.

Though I do hope Gwaihir is not a bald eagle.

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Jun 16 2012, 3:53am

Post #3 of 13 (786 views)
Shortcut
Nice! [In reply to] Can't Post

I expect they'll keep something similar to the preexisting design for the Wargs, but very cool concept! Smile

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, with axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

Bladerunner
Gondor

Jun 16 2012, 4:32am

Post #4 of 13 (774 views)
Shortcut
Ha! [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah, if I had Photoshop I would definitely change the color of the eagle. But I do like it's glare...
I also would have embellished "Smaug" and changed its skin and eye color palette as well.
And I would insert Bilbo as a small reflection in the dragon's eye.

I agree that there is a place for less traditional poster/wallpaper designs. An edgier design could find a niche in the broader marketing campaign for the films by appealling to, or piquing the interest of, those casual movie-goers who may say "whoa, I thought The Hobbit was just going to be more LOTR...Hmm, what is this movie really about?" while also appealling to those fans who would "get" the references right away...

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jun 16 2012, 4:34am

Post #5 of 13 (780 views)
Shortcut
That's enough to encourage any Hobbit [In reply to] Can't Post

to stay in his warm, safe smial and never consider adventures or other outlandish ideas.

Great poster, Bladerunner!

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Jun 16 2012, 6:56am

Post #6 of 13 (779 views)
Shortcut
Darken the wolf, extend his fangs, give him shaggier fur, and fill his eyes with evil [In reply to] Can't Post

light, then give him a double increase in size, and you would have a PERFECT warg. Much better than those damned hyena. And, begging your pardon and with no disrespect intended. . . but what the hell does the eye in that last image belong to?! lol

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Jun 16 2012, 7:00am

Post #7 of 13 (749 views)
Shortcut
God I hope not. I HATED those damn hyena. Could a mouth like that even howl? [In reply to] Can't Post

And those retarded looking faces. Yuch! I say a little prayer that they give us something more like monstrous wolves and less like steroid inflated hyena with downs syndrome. Jackson has to know that most people who had read the books really did not take to those warg interpretations. Guillermo himself commented extensively on it.

Pretty sure the Eagle will remain a giant golden Eagle though. After all, we have already seen Gwahir twice now.

In Reply To
I expect they'll keep something similar to the preexisting design for the Wargs, but very cool concept! Smile

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Nightingale
Rohan

Jun 16 2012, 9:38am

Post #8 of 13 (701 views)
Shortcut
Less traditional is good [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree that there is a place for less traditional poster/wallpaper designs.

I remember seeing the Black Swan posters and being really intrigued by something different. I went straight home to look up the film and what it was about - fantastic marketing.

Something edgy for the Hobbit would be fantastic, and I love your take on this one.

"You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me" - C. S. Lewis

"That line between the earth and sky came beckoning to me..." - Laurie's Song

Chopsta123
Gondor

Jun 16 2012, 10:39am

Post #9 of 13 (721 views)
Shortcut
my guess [In reply to] Can't Post

the last picture is Smaug

http://ce-games.forumotion.com/
The forum for the LOTR Character Elimination Game!

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Jun 16 2012, 2:15pm

Post #10 of 13 (707 views)
Shortcut
Did they howl? :P [In reply to] Can't Post

I recall them just kind-of snorting and snarling on occasion. Tongue

Anyhoo, personally I'm not crazy about PJ's Warg's but don't hate them, either; I liked the fact that they seemed truly "alien", part of another world. And more so than GdT, I'd expect PJ will probably remain consistent with the trilogy when at all possible.

I suppose we may see a new strain or breed of Warg amongst the Goblins, however.

2. Use not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, with axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

(This post was edited by Captain Salt on Jun 16 2012, 2:16pm)

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Jun 16 2012, 2:50pm

Post #11 of 13 (695 views)
Shortcut
Though, something closer to the Dire Wolf Tolkien probably had in mind would be nice to see...something like this? [In reply to] Can't Post

Bladerunner
Gondor

Jun 16 2012, 2:57pm

Post #12 of 13 (734 views)
Shortcut
It belongs to a Komodo Dragon.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I appropriated various images as placeholders for this mock-up just to see what this type of sliver layout would "feel" like.

After the films are released, I can replace each image with screen caps of the actual CGI versions of the creatures (including an updated image for Gollum) and create a much more representative poster.

An extreme close-up of the real Smaug (with Bilbo reflected in his iris) would amplify the intensity and visual impact.

DanielLB
Immortal

Jun 17 2012, 8:09pm

Post #13 of 13 (2111 views)
Shortcut
That's a great design! [In reply to] Can't Post

Think it's great!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.