Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Trailer 2 Imminent - Runs at 2 Min, 24 Sec.
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next page Last page  View All

Jim
Rivendell

Jun 20 2012, 8:28pm

Post #226 of 246 (2088 views)
Shortcut
Someone.... [In reply to] Can't Post

..called Xanz over on the imdb boards has this to say about the trailer.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but save for a couple new shots, it's almost identical to the last trailer released in December.

I haven't read the book in a long time so I can't say if any of the new shots are plot related but it's mostly inconsequential. Bilbo falling down and looking at something, a couple shots of Gandalf and someone else running through the forest. But I was pretty bummed when I saw it was almost entirely the same as the teaser.

Ah well, just under a month to go..

DanielLB
Immortal

Jun 20 2012, 8:34pm

Post #227 of 246 (2331 views)
Shortcut
Well ... it's better than nothing! [In reply to] Can't Post

And if it's a cinema trailer then I'll be chuffed with just that Smile

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Jun 20 2012, 9:06pm

Post #228 of 246 (2238 views)
Shortcut
teaser [In reply to] Can't Post

Hunf....i have a sour taste on my tongue....

But can we know when we will see this....Extended Teaser Edition?

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Jun 20 2012, 9:17pm

Post #229 of 246 (2205 views)
Shortcut
More than I expected! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm quite happy to see a new shot of Bilbo falling down, and Gandalf (and someone else) running through a forest!

And is it possible that this "someone else" is Radagast???

Can we find out where this person saw the trailer? Doesn't seem to be online yet.

(This post was edited by Shelob'sAppetite on Jun 20 2012, 9:18pm)

ghost2-14
The Shire

Jun 21 2012, 12:05am

Post #230 of 246 (1966 views)
Shortcut
So, if the trailer is attached to Brave, then [In reply to] Can't Post

is it coming in the next few hours?

duats
Grey Havens

Jun 21 2012, 12:10am

Post #231 of 246 (1792 views)
Shortcut
Hmm [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe a slightly different version of trailer #1 with Brave, and then a new trailer with The Dark Knight Rises?

BilboBagshot187
Rivendell

Jun 21 2012, 12:29am

Post #232 of 246 (2082 views)
Shortcut
I would say.. [In reply to] Can't Post

.......Yeah I think that they have edited the trailer so it can go out with the G rating and can accompany Brave and maybe some other films and then there will be a new full length trailer at comic con which will then be with The dark Knight rises. I also think there will be new posters ect. and the marketing campaign will really kick into gear at Comic con.
In regards to when this slightly different teaser will be online is hard to say as its not like its a brand new exclusive trailer, there hasnt been any mention of it anywhere really.

'Everywhere I lie theres a dirty great root sticking into my back!'

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Jun 21 2012, 12:46am

Post #233 of 246 (1738 views)
Shortcut
What lukewarm feelings from the teaser? [In reply to] Can't Post

You are really stretching things, my friend. The reaction to the teaser trailer was almost universally positive. Even with the cinemacon footage, the reaction to the content was also universally positive.

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Jun 21 2012, 12:57am

Post #234 of 246 (1937 views)
Shortcut
You're pretty optimistic, huh? [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think we'll be seeing a trailer until late August/Early September. If The Dark Knight Rises has a Hobbit trailer attached it'll most likely be one we've already seen. Warner Bros have already said what's showing at The Hobbit stand at Comic-Con. They said there will be various clips, but they haven't mentioned trailer.

"...For if joyful is the fountain that rises in the sun, its springs are in the wells of sorrow unfathomed at the foundations of the Earth"

duats
Grey Havens

Jun 21 2012, 1:14am

Post #235 of 246 (2181 views)
Shortcut
I don't follow [In reply to] Can't Post

The Dark Knight Rises would mark roughly six months until The Hobbit's release. Perfect time for a new trailer. Not to mention the fact that everybody and their mother will be turning out to see TDKR, so any trailer attached to it is going to get huge exposure. I've said it before, and I'll say it again. WB would be foolish not to put a new trailer with TDKR. From a marketing perspective, it is a textbook example of a "no brainer."

That's usually how it works with big blockbuster films.

Teaser trailer - one year prior the release
Theatrical trailer 1 - six months prior to release
Theatrical trailer 2 - 2/3 months prior to release

And even if they don't show a trailer at Comic Con, that doesn't mean one can't be attached to TDKR.

(This post was edited by duats on Jun 21 2012, 1:16am)

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Jun 21 2012, 1:25am

Post #236 of 246 (1984 views)
Shortcut
Right, but why release 2 trailers weeks apart? [In reply to] Can't Post

Surely it's a more sensible idea to put a highly anticipated trailer in front of a less popular film to try and ramp up numbers? I said this before, when people were expecting The Hobbit in front of Sherlock Holmes...

"...For if joyful is the fountain that rises in the sun, its springs are in the wells of sorrow unfathomed at the foundations of the Earth"

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Jun 21 2012, 1:26am

Post #237 of 246 (2211 views)
Shortcut
who knows [In reply to] Can't Post

maybe WB blew their budget for marketing on the 14 barrel rides at Six Flags and that piece of axe stuck thru Bifur's skull Crazy... To me it would seem logical to get the trailer out to the widest audience possible which (since Avengers isn't new and fresh anymore) would be TDKR but I wouldn't rule out seeing it in front of other films that might contain actors that are in the Hobbit eitherWink

duats
Grey Havens

Jun 21 2012, 1:39am

Post #238 of 246 (2291 views)
Shortcut
More exposure? [In reply to] Can't Post

From the sound of things, if a trailer is attached to Brave, it's pretty much a re-release of the teaser trailer. Perhaps they wanted to get more exposure from the younger, family-oriented crowd, before unleashing a brand new trailer to the masses with TDKR (without the pesky G rating)?

Releasing two trailers within a month of each other isn't exactly unheard of. True Grit has two trailers mere weeks apart, and The Master just got a new trailer a couple of days ago - a month after the first.

Obviously, a trailer with TDKR is far from being confirmed at this point. I'm simply saying that, from a marketing point of view, WB would be blowing a HUGE opportunity. I would be very disappointed if they didn't capitalize on it.

(This post was edited by duats on Jun 21 2012, 1:41am)

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Jun 21 2012, 5:34am

Post #239 of 246 (2155 views)
Shortcut
This is my hope, and would also be really great marketing [In reply to] Can't Post

for maximizing. It needs to show at a film like Brave, because it is the sort of great Fairytale (i.e. tale involving Fairies or related creatures i.e. High Elves etc.) that they will certainly want to make families with kids aware of, but it is also the type of drama and action filled epic that fans of things like The Dark Knight would want to see. Also, between the two films, you hit just about every audience. With Brave you hit all the kiddies, particularly those with a penchant for magical tales, and with Dark Knight, if it does nearly as well as it is expected to and as its predecessors did, you hit almost everybody else on the planet.

Also, while it seems bust to us to show a trailer that is largely the same with Brave, a good many of the people going to see it will just be young kids who don't follow films independently much yet anyway, and parents who are, largely, also not genre addicts and website/online junkies, but just average folk looking for something to take the kids to on a Saturday evening. Many of them won't be vexed at all by old footage, as it will be entirely new to them. They will just say, "oh wow, The Hobbit is coming out in theatres!!!" There will be enough new footage, doubtly, for hardcore connosieurs like us to inspect and paw over frame by frame, and also to technically cancel our opportunity to argue/harp about it being the same old trailer recut.

Then Comic Con and Dark Knight Come and any residual gripping about it not having had enough stuff gets swept away under the wave of Awesome that an entirely new trailer will provide. The trailer attatched to the latter film will also likely open the flood gates of promotion for the next five months until the films release.

In Reply To
.......Yeah I think that they have edited the trailer so it can go out with the G rating and can accompany Brave and maybe some other films and then there will be a new full length trailer at comic con which will then be with The dark Knight rises. I also think there will be new posters ect. and the marketing campaign will really kick into gear at Comic con.
In regards to when this slightly different teaser will be online is hard to say as its not like its a brand new exclusive trailer, there hasnt been any mention of it anywhere really.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Jun 21 2012, 5:50am

Post #240 of 246 (2487 views)
Shortcut
Agreed that trailer reaction amongst hardcore LOTR fans [In reply to] Can't Post

Was very positive. I even loved the trailer.

However, and this is very anecdotal, everyone I have spoken with who are not instinctually LOTR fans, were very underwhelmed by it, and thought the dwarves were rather silly (with many remarking that they looked like a bunch of clowns...)

But that's beside the point. The real problem has been the PR team's non-response to the Cinema Con incident. That was the first time that PJ's Middle Earth-based products got some very negative coverage, and the production's response was a damp, defensive squib.

Lastly, just because you noted, rightly, that many people said the scenes seemed to be high-quality (in terms of 'content' - though I find that a strange concept, since in film, the visuals are an integral part of the content...) the headlines presented a very negative picture. The overall media narrative has been something like "expectations for TH that were once sky high, are now very low."

That's not a good message, and if you're in charge of PR, you need to change the narrative. Warner Brother's didn't even try.

(This post was edited by Shelob'sAppetite on Jun 21 2012, 5:53am)

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Jun 21 2012, 7:58am

Post #241 of 246 (2729 views)
Shortcut
But I think the people following the Cinemacon dissapointment are a considerably smaller [In reply to] Can't Post

minority even than those of us who were combing around for the first trailer. And FAR fewer people would have gotten it by stumbling across it or through second hand receipt. I shared the original trailer with literally hundreds of facebook friends the night after it aired. I am sure that I was not the only person to do so. Other people may have stumbled across it online, or in theatres. But even so, there are more people, moviegoers included, who haven't seen the trailer than those who have. And having said that, how many people do you think stumbled across that Cinemacon news? Very few, I'll warrant. What person who wasn't already looking for Hobbit news, and thus, already in the camp of people very likely to see it no matter what, would actually know anything about the Cinemacon footage (aside, perhaps, from film festival afficianados and self styled film conniseurs event?). Of all of us who shared the original Hobbit Trailer upwards of a hundred times, how many bothered to forward dozens of articles on Cinemacon? Few if any. Bottom line, only a relatively small number of people even know about the mess at cinemacon, and a good trailer will largely overshadow that for most others who do. My guess is WB decided that the Cinemcon matter was such a relatively obscure event for anyone not already avidly seeking for Hobbit news, and deemed they would do better to simply ignore it than to draw attention to it by making a high profile response.

I further suspect that the Brave attatched trailer will show exactly what WB marketers would wisely want that audience to see, clownish Dwarves, and entrancing songs, beautiful and enchanting Elves, a cozy Hobbit home and a familiar, grandfatherly old Wizard. Exactly the things that greatly appeal to family audiences.

The latter Dark Knight Trailer will likely feature grim goblins, trolls, wargs, fighting dwarves seeming far less clownish for the axes in their hands, and some of the more eye opening enchantments of the Wizard.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

DanielLB
Immortal

Jun 21 2012, 8:03am

Post #242 of 246 (2189 views)
Shortcut
Um, I'm not so sure [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
And having said that, how many people do you think stumbled across that Cinemacon news? Very few, I'll warrant. What person who wasn't already looking for Hobbit news, and thus, already in the camp of people very likely to see it no matter what, would actually know anything about the Cinemacon footage (aside, perhaps, from film festival afficianados and self styled film conniseurs event?). Of all of us who shared the original Hobbit Trailer upwards of a hundred times, how many bothered to forward dozens of articles on Cinemacon?

The Cinema-con whohar was main page news on the BBC website (entertainment part), and also made it onto some TV news channels. At the time of all this going on, The Hobbit trailer was in the top 5 watched videos on the BBC website. It was also in there top list of shared links at the time (but cannot remember at which position). People clearly did "stumble" across the Hobbit news, whether they were searching for it or not.

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Jun 21 2012, 1:59pm

Post #243 of 246 (1958 views)
Shortcut
Exactly [In reply to] Can't Post

The news was also featured on one of the most high-traffic news websites in the world, Yahoo News.

A lot of people worldwide have gotten a message from the media saying that "a bunch of people saw some Hobbit footage, and were not impressed."

How ever people want to spin it for their own personal consumption, the media narrative is what it is, and it's not good for the film.

Warner Brothers should have done something - or released something - to immediately quell the fears, and CHANGE the media narrative. They didn't. That, IMO, is a failure.

I know that WB will likely kick things off at Comic Con, after which we will start to see a full blitz. But damage has already been done.

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Jun 21 2012, 2:12pm

Post #244 of 246 (2670 views)
Shortcut
I'm not sure it matters much [In reply to] Can't Post

With the short attention span that people have, I doubt that the brief whoha over the Cinemacon footage will stick in many people's minds, other than us hardcore fans. WB may well have concluded that the best thing to do would be to let it fade away as quickly as possible, rather than keeping it alive by trying to counter it. I'm no PR expert, but that may well have been the best strategy.

But honestly, I don't really care much. I don't care whether the Hobbit films make a billion dollars, or 2. In fact, I'd just as soon has the theaters not be that crowded when I go see them (fat chance of that, even if it likely will be probably be a week after they open, as was the case with the LOTR films). I just care about whether I like the films, as films, as adaptations.

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

DanielLB
Immortal

Jun 21 2012, 2:14pm

Post #245 of 246 (2906 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I was about to say this too [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
With the short attention span that people have, I doubt that the brief whoha over the Cinemacon footage will stick in many people's minds, other than us hardcore fans. WB may well have concluded that the best thing to do would be to let it fade away as quickly as possible, rather than keeping it alive by trying to counter it. I'm no PR expert, but that may well have been the best strategy.

The Cinema-con business got on many many news sites. But who's going to care and/or remember apart from us? People will just remember there being something about The Hobbit on the news.

Ref
Rivendell

Sep 10 2012, 5:30pm

Post #246 of 246 (2055 views)
Shortcut
RE: New Trailer [In reply to] Can't Post

Anyone else think that we'll be getting a new trailer this Friday? I mean that would be exactly (for world-release) 3 months till it's in cinemas.

Viewers of a nervous disposition may be interested to know that your television is off and I am speaking to you from inside your head...

*~* Hugh Dennis, Mock the Week *~*

Icon made by the talented Meathiel

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.