Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Which LOTR character changes the most during the course of the book?
Poll: Which LOTR character changes the most during the course of the book?
Frodo
Merry
Pippin
Sam
Bilbo
Gollum
Aragorn
Legolas
Gimli
Boromir
Faramir
Denethor
Eowyn
Eomer
Theoden
Gandalf
Galadriel
Saruman
Wormtongue
View Results (40 votes)

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Oct 12 2007, 2:43am

Post #1 of 25 (521 views)
Shortcut
Which LOTR character changes the most during the course of the book? Can't Post

Feel free to say why you made that choice! (I'd love to see someone argue for Legolas, just for the heck of it...)

RosieLass
Valinor

Oct 12 2007, 6:11am

Post #2 of 25 (331 views)
Shortcut
There are any number of serious answers to the question, [In reply to] Can't Post

and I can't make up my mind right now which one to choose. I'll contemplate overnight and answer tomorrow.

But a flippant answer is a three way tie between Gollum, Saruman, and Denethor.

Liquified, vaporized, and carbonized. Crazy

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Oct 12 2007, 8:39am

Post #3 of 25 (343 views)
Shortcut
There ARE lots of characters... [In reply to] Can't Post

who changed during the course of the books. I chose Frodo who went from being the young heir of a wealthy hobbit, to being THE Baggins of Bag End, to being a refugee being carried along by events he doesn't control, to being a resolute crusader who is fighting to save his world, to being a hero who did save his world, to being a person who is overlooked in the world he wanted to save, to being a refugee again who is pushed out of the world he thought he wanted by the pain and horror of what he went through.

Donry
Tol Eressea

Oct 13 2007, 12:20am

Post #4 of 25 (282 views)
Shortcut
In my opinion... [In reply to] Can't Post

I would have to say Pippin. I think he really changed from a completely carefree 'loafer', to a soldier of Gondor. He became a leader. I think in every character the 'stellar' or not so 'stellar' qualities that are exhibited had always been there, but Pippin had to go through the most upheaval/change to get those 'stellar' qualities to come to the surface. I think his realization in the movies when Merry tells him there won't be a Shire is the best piece of evidence for this. His absolute naivety of the larger situation really shines through there. I think Pippin had a lot of growing up to do and went through it rather roughly with the events in Moria and with the palantir as well. Anyway, my quick two cents worth!

Donry
Tol Eressea

Oct 13 2007, 12:25am

Post #5 of 25 (279 views)
Shortcut
Well said... [In reply to] Can't Post

it always just crushes me when I think about how much the world 'changes' for the Hobbits when they return to the Shire, especially for Frodo, who we as readers, get the impression from earlier descriptions of him by Bilbo and Gandalf just adores the Shire. It was hard for him to leave the first time, hard for him to think of not ever getting back there, and probably twice as hard having to leave it again in the end. I know Lorien and Rivendell were supposed to be 'heavenly' type places, but for me the Shire was THE place. And in that sense I could really get into those emotions of the Hobbits in the story.

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Oct 13 2007, 1:02am

Post #6 of 25 (293 views)
Shortcut
O.K. Legolas, just for the heck of it! [In reply to] Can't Post

When you first see Legolas, it is at the council in Rivendell. In the books, he doesn't say much there. But when the Fellowship is on Caradhras, he kind of sends some zingers to the men and even throws one at Gandalf. He comes off kind of "Aren't Elves just great!" Maybe he hadn't associated a lot with non-Elves in the past 3000 years. There are a few harsh words exchanged with Gimli. He changes as the Fellowship goes on. By the time they are through Lothlorien, he and Gimli are great friends.

So, in my opinion, he went from being a somewhat stuck up and snooty elf to being a true-blue friend and sticking by his fellow man, dwarf, hobbit, and wizard.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Oct 13 2007, 3:20am

Post #7 of 25 (329 views)
Shortcut
You have a skewed view on the world, [In reply to] Can't Post

and long may it continue! Laugh

Atlas
Bree

Oct 14 2007, 10:30pm

Post #8 of 25 (274 views)
Shortcut
Your theory is right [In reply to] Can't Post

but your answers are wrong. Gandalf died and came back. Now that's a lot of change. He ended up not too far from where he started, but he went through things in between that no one else did.

Annael
Immortal

Oct 15 2007, 12:02am

Post #9 of 25 (255 views)
Shortcut
I chose Sam [In reply to] Can't Post

He starts out as a thick-skulled servant hardly able to think beyond his master's needs who is terrified of "Big People" when he first encounters them, but becomes a fearsome warrior who defeats one of the most terrible monsters in Middle-earth, withstands the power of a magical artifact that destroyed a Numenorean king, eventually rules a country, and in his old age leaves it to sail over Sea to a place he knows only two other hobbits have ever been.

(This post was edited by Annael on Oct 15 2007, 12:06am)

Radhruin
Rohan

Oct 15 2007, 1:35am

Post #10 of 25 (267 views)
Shortcut
Denethor [In reply to] Can't Post

Went from king of the world, so to speak, to charcoal. Ouch.

Darkstone
Immortal

Oct 15 2007, 1:47pm

Post #11 of 25 (260 views)
Shortcut
Rosie [In reply to] Can't Post

Thirteen children! Think of all the changes!! And this is before Pampers!!!

(This post was edited by Darkstone on Oct 15 2007, 1:48pm)

Patty
Immortal

Oct 15 2007, 5:35pm

Post #12 of 25 (255 views)
Shortcut
There simply is no better answer! [In reply to] Can't Post

good one, RosieLass.Laugh

Morwen
Rohan

Oct 16 2007, 12:26am

Post #13 of 25 (250 views)
Shortcut
I have to agree. [In reply to] Can't Post

For all the reasons you gave. All the hobbits went through major changes, as did many of the other charactes, such as Eowyn, but I think Sam's changes were the most profound.

Curious
Half-elven

Oct 17 2007, 12:35am

Post #14 of 25 (233 views)
Shortcut
I agree about Sam. [In reply to] Can't Post

Pippin just came of age. Sam changed classes, and in a class-based society, that is saying something.

Rohjayne

Oct 17 2007, 1:10pm

Post #15 of 25 (221 views)
Shortcut
pip [In reply to] Can't Post

our beloved Pip
In Fellowship: he goes from nicking veggies - to swording fighting wraths for his life and the lives of his friends.
In Towers: he goes from cross-country piggy-backing - to co-commanding Ent warfare.
In King: he goes from getting drunk on the wall with particularly good salted pork - to singing for the Steward King of Gondor knowing that Faramir, the man who once as a boy wore the very same clothes on his back, has been sent to his death.

This was a lad skipping from field to field for mushrooms
and now is a man jumping into fire to save Faramir.Heart

Curious
Half-elven

Oct 17 2007, 1:44pm

Post #16 of 25 (230 views)
Shortcut
Are we talking books or movies? [In reply to] Can't Post

It sounds like you are talking about movie Pip, not book Pip.

deej
Tol Eressea

Oct 17 2007, 8:14pm

Post #17 of 25 (235 views)
Shortcut
I'm going to have to say Frodo [In reply to] Can't Post

As far as life changes go, i'd say Frodo has got the rest of the Fellowship beat. Aragorn comes in a close second, followed by Boromir (dying would be considered a big change, I suppose!)

FarFromHome
Valinor

Oct 17 2007, 8:49pm

Post #18 of 25 (220 views)
Shortcut
A write-in vote for [In reply to] Can't Post

Bill the Pony.

He went from a broken-down, dispirited nag to a self-reliant creature who found his way safely home to Bree all by himself.

Otherwise, I'd be tempted to say Sam. Yet although Sam finds reserves of courage and self-reliance that he never knew he had, he's really very much the same simple, down-to-earth hobbit from start to finish.

silneldor
Half-elven

Oct 20 2007, 12:19am

Post #19 of 25 (225 views)
Shortcut
I think in terms of who is (from my athletic past) [In reply to] Can't Post

the 'most improved player' and from that i must pick Sam. He has grown in so many ways and also grown in confidence. He has had his moments but so has Aragorn. I think the biggest telling points are his confrontation with Shelob and his fearless confidence on returning to the shire. In a manner of speaking, by this time, the timid gardener has now a big red S on his chest.

silneldor
Half-elven

Oct 20 2007, 2:52am

Post #20 of 25 (221 views)
Shortcut
I gave Bill some thought too:). [In reply to] Can't Post

He is definitely a contender.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Oct 23 2007, 4:25am

Post #21 of 25 (188 views)
Shortcut
*mods up* :-D // [In reply to] Can't Post

Shadowfaxfan
Rivendell

Oct 23 2007, 1:06pm

Post #22 of 25 (182 views)
Shortcut
Aragorn, He went from [In reply to] Can't Post

a wandering ranger who had great doubts of his ability to not give in to the power of the ring and doubts of his ability to become who he was born to be, to being the leader and healer of his people. Everyone else seemed content with who they were in the beginning. Aragorn had the shadow of the failure of his forefathers hanging over his head, he defied his past thus changing his future.

labingi_maura
Rivendell

Oct 30 2007, 3:32am

Post #23 of 25 (173 views)
Shortcut
I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

I too think Frodo changes the most. As you said, he starts out a fairly happy little guy, kind of naive, comfortably and blissfully unaware of the evils going on in the larger world around the Shire. His fate is exactly as Gandalf predicted in "The Shadow of the Past", when Gandalf noted even then that Frodo could not will himself to damage the Ring, saying, "...and I could not "make" you - except by force, which would break your mind." Frodo does wind up broken in mind and body. And notice how in the book, I believe its around the chapter "The Taming of Smeagol", we stop hearing Frodo's thoughts. Tolkien tells us what Sam is thinking, what Smeagol is thinking, but by that point Frodo's self-hood is being leached away; what thoughts are left to him are closed to us. He is the only character who survives the destruction of the Ring but is too damaged to enjoy it.
-ML

Curious
Half-elven

Oct 30 2007, 9:24pm

Post #24 of 25 (210 views)
Shortcut
What about Theoden? [In reply to] Can't Post

I already voted for Sam, but I was surprised to see that no one voted for Theoden, who went from seriously senile to god-like in battle to dead.

LEGIONTX
Rivendell

May 5 2009, 8:24pm

Post #25 of 25 (171 views)
Shortcut
For me Theoden [In reply to] Can't Post

as he went from blind obedient tool of Saruman, back to King of Rohan and recaptured his identity. And jeez in the movie he was practically petrified and had grown roots to his chair. Guy had to be electrocuted by Gandalf to get snapped out of his catatonic stateLaugh My next choice would be Frodo for several reasons already stated.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.