Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Dain Ironfoot - the Boar Rider?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next page Last page  View All

DarkJackal
Rohan

Jun 13 2012, 2:33pm

Post #1 of 152 (4075 views)
Shortcut
Dain Ironfoot - the Boar Rider? Can't Post

I figured this one merited its own thread. Billy Connolly has been giving out bits of info on the Hobbit while he's doing interviews for Brave, including:

Playing Dain Ironfoot, who appears in the second part, allowed him to play the little guy for a change.

"But you don't feel like a little guy because you are doing big things like killing people and stuff.
And you are wearing all that armour and make-up and everything.
It was great fun. I arrive riding a wild pig."

Source:
http://www.news.com.au/news/family-entertainment-sickens-billy/story-fn6c8sdb-1226394550913

For the sake of argument I'll assume he's being serious. I have seen the theme of dwarves as boar riders before (do a google image search, and you'll see what I mean) but this is a stretch for Tolkien. Still, if done right it could look really cool.

As far as plausibility goes, I've seen feral pigs grow large enough that normal size humans could have ridden them, so this isn't that impossible (and more likely than hare drawn sledges). Just...different Laugh

(This post was edited by DarkJackal on Jun 13 2012, 2:34pm)

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Jun 13 2012, 2:35pm

Post #2 of 152 (2655 views)
Shortcut
It is certainly a stretch for Tolkien [In reply to] Can't Post

But for some reason, I like it. A lot.

I imagine it will provide a visual counterpoint to the warg riders.

(This post was edited by Shelob'sAppetite on Jun 13 2012, 2:39pm)

Arandir
Gondor

Jun 13 2012, 2:48pm

Post #3 of 152 (2589 views)
Shortcut
I'm more worried that ... [In reply to] Can't Post

... he won't be in the first film (as quoted in the article). Other than that, although I agree that it isn't quite what Tolkien wanted, I don't think I'll mind it very much ... I'm already quite liking the idea ... sort of.

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Jun 13 2012, 2:49pm

Post #4 of 152 (2506 views)
Shortcut
Wild Boar are mean and agressive [In reply to] Can't Post

were I live in the south US people hunt them and some get rather large.... I think its pretty cool if its true, they would give the wargs a run for their money to be sure Smile
and since Tolkien never went into details about HOW they arrived just that they had arrived so a bit of embellishment is fine with me on this one.

(This post was edited by sinister71 on Jun 13 2012, 2:51pm)

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Jun 13 2012, 2:55pm

Post #5 of 152 (2463 views)
Shortcut
Which article is that quoted in? [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry, I seem to have missed it.

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Jun 13 2012, 2:57pm

Post #6 of 152 (2452 views)
Shortcut
Much better than bunny rider for sure. ;) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Jun 13 2012, 2:58pm

Post #7 of 152 (2485 views)
Shortcut
the pig comment is the last thing on the page from Connolly [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.news.com.au/news/family-entertainment-sickens-billy/story-fn6c8sdb-1226394550913

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Jun 13 2012, 3:00pm

Post #8 of 152 (2485 views)
Shortcut
Ah, here it is [In reply to] Can't Post

However, the article contradicts itself, stating that Connoly appears in "An Unexpected Journey" and then stating that Dain appears in the second part (There and Back Again). Here's the quote:

Connolly followed Quartet with a role in Peter Jackson's children's classic The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey.
Playing Dain Ironfoot, who appears in the second part, allowed him to play the little guy for a change.

My guess is that the author of the article simply doesn't quite know what's going on...

Arandir
Gondor

Jun 13 2012, 3:11pm

Post #9 of 152 (2453 views)
Shortcut
Phew! [In reply to] Can't Post

Cheers Shelob'sAppetite! I missed that!Wink

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Jun 13 2012, 3:16pm

Post #10 of 152 (2440 views)
Shortcut
there still may be a flash back scene [In reply to] Can't Post

in the first film... something maybe with Azog or something near the front of the first movie to set up the dwarfs demeanor and character

TFP
Rivendell

Jun 13 2012, 3:17pm

Post #11 of 152 (2444 views)
Shortcut
It doesn't sound much like a joke [In reply to] Can't Post

It doesn't really sound much like a joke, more's the pity.

I always really liked the idea of them marching from the Iron Hills.

I quite like the idea of Radagast's bunny-pulled sleigh, given: (1) his close relationship with nature etc; and (2) the exceptionally brief descriptions given of him in the books but Dain, well, I feel that I know him already. He doesn't ride a pig of any sort.

So is that seven armies we're up to in the final battle? The traditional five plus sauron's mob [Wink] & now the boars ?

(This post was edited by TFP on Jun 13 2012, 3:18pm)

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Jun 13 2012, 3:19pm

Post #12 of 152 (2441 views)
Shortcut
I still think they are going to march... [In reply to] Can't Post

My guess is that only Dain will be riding a boar. He may be presented as the only dwarf brave and crazy enough to attempt to domesticate a boar, and succeed!

dave_lf
Gondor

Jun 13 2012, 3:33pm

Post #13 of 152 (2424 views)
Shortcut
There are going to be more crazy mounts in this thing than in World of Warcraft // [In reply to] Can't Post

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Jun 13 2012, 3:35pm

Post #14 of 152 (2412 views)
Shortcut
It never describes how he arrives [In reply to] Can't Post

to help Thorin. I would assume coming that distance and being a fortified army they would have something similar to a human Calvary, and since the orcs/goblins have the wolves and Wargs honestly a wild Boar fits rather well with the dwarfs These creatures get anywhere from 150lbs to as large as 550lb in real life so I'm sure they could enlarge them if needed but they are extremely deadly with razor sharp tusks

malickfan
Gondor

Jun 13 2012, 3:40pm

Post #15 of 152 (2442 views)
Shortcut
Err...? [In reply to] Can't Post

Whilst it fits with the fairytale tone of The Hobbit, it seems a bit random! Dwarves hate riding horses so why would angry, slow, fat boar's be any better? Dain's old yes, but he was still fighting at the seige of Erebor in the War of The Ring, and I doubt anyone of bhis high standing would stopp to that demeaning mode of transport...

Maybe we will see a Boar vs Warg Calvary charge or A Elvish Calvary versus Boar chase...or he was joking, Connoly is a Comedian as well as actor afterall

‘As they came to the gates Cirdan the Shipwright came forth to greet them. Very tall he was, and his beard was long, and we was grey and old, save that his eyes were keen as stars; and he looked at them and bowed, and said ‘All is now ready.’

(This post was edited by malickfan on Jun 13 2012, 3:45pm)

TFP
Rivendell

Jun 13 2012, 3:41pm

Post #16 of 152 (2413 views)
Shortcut
Only Dain? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
My guess is that only Dain will be riding a boar. He may be presented as the only dwarf brave and crazy enough to attempt to domesticate a boar, and succeed!

yeah, maybe.

or i could just about stomach the idea that dain's seniority, age, perhaps being a little overweight or something, meant that he didn't have to march with the others.

http://static.tvtropes.org/...es/abraracourcix.gif

or maybe he's injured or something? perhaps his iron foot prevents him from walking long distances? i'm scrabbling round a bit here.

(This post was edited by TFP on Jun 13 2012, 3:42pm)

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Jun 13 2012, 3:51pm

Post #17 of 152 (2452 views)
Shortcut
As somone who has participated in a boar-hunting expedition... [In reply to] Can't Post

I can tell you that they are anything but "slow." They can be lightning fast, actually, and very dangerous because of it.

Angry, yes. They do get angry.

Doesn't have to be fat, though.

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Jun 13 2012, 3:52pm

Post #18 of 152 (2382 views)
Shortcut
Doesn't seem like a joke [In reply to] Can't Post

It's not exactly funny to state that Dain arrives on a wild pig. It's a detail that I believe he would not have mentioned if there wasn't truth to it.

Arandir
Gondor

Jun 13 2012, 3:53pm

Post #19 of 152 (2387 views)
Shortcut
Unless ... [In reply to] Can't Post

PJ and co are considering doing a Legolas-style jump on a horse (TTT) - but with Dain. And a boar.

dave_lf
Gondor

Jun 13 2012, 3:55pm

Post #20 of 152 (2500 views)
Shortcut
Boar-riding [In reply to] Can't Post

There is a lot of boar-riding in Norse mythology. It seems they're going to be digging into that a lot for the stuff they make up.

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Jun 13 2012, 3:57pm

Post #21 of 152 (2463 views)
Shortcut
Works for me [In reply to] Can't Post

I rarely mind when the creative team digs into Tolkien's actual sources of inspiration. Makes it all seem less derivative.

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Jun 13 2012, 3:57pm

Post #22 of 152 (2388 views)
Shortcut
been there done that myself [In reply to] Can't Post

killed a 208lb one last year with 5 inch tusks and as you said they are really fast, mostly muscle, and easily ticked off esp if you get near their young...A buddy of mine got chased into an abandoned tree stand last year by one that he said must have been 300 lbs I didn't see it, but I believe him.... I still think it would make a cool concept and it really wouldn't change anything that Tolkien wrote but would IMO enhance the BO5A instead of just the good guys having foot soldiers

DarkJackal
Rohan

Jun 13 2012, 3:59pm

Post #23 of 152 (2367 views)
Shortcut
Exactly [In reply to] Can't Post

Woe to those who belittle the boar! They are known for their fierce behavior. As you point out they would not make good sport if they were all fat and slow.

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Jun 13 2012, 4:01pm

Post #24 of 152 (2383 views)
Shortcut
Still, consider the source [In reply to] Can't Post

This may be true, and if it is, it might even be good. But I take anything Connolly says with a grain of salt.

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

TFP
Rivendell

Jun 13 2012, 4:13pm

Post #25 of 152 (2365 views)
Shortcut
Boars as a steed [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Woe to those who belittle the boar! They are known for their fierce behavior. As you point out they would not make good sport if they were all fat and slow.

I certainly wouldn't mess with a boar. But I think I'd be even less inclined to try & ride one.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.