Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Was Arwen the last Elve to be born in Middle Earth?

malickfan
Gondor

Jun 13 2012, 2:24pm

Post #1 of 7 (617 views)
Shortcut
Was Arwen the last Elve to be born in Middle Earth? Can't Post

A friend told me this the other day, but I can't remember anything about this in written work, it does seem to fit with the fading of the elves and gives more weight to her marriage to Aragorn, but on the other hand I find it a little odd that the Elves had lost the desire for children so early in the The Third Age.

...so was my on to something or confused?

‘As they came to the gates Cirdan the Shipwright came forth to greet them. Very tall he was, and his beard was long, and we was grey and old, save that his eyes were keen as stars; and he looked at them and bowed, and said ‘All is now ready.’

Then he walked away curling his beard absent mindedly and pursuing the latest issue of The Beano.

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Jun 13 2012, 5:06pm

Post #2 of 7 (298 views)
Shortcut
I've seen the rumor a number of times... [In reply to] Can't Post

I've never found a basis for it, unless it is from one of Prof. Tolkien's letters. It certainly seems unlikely unless Arwen was only the youngest of the Eldar in Middle-earth (not counting Legolas?). I imagine that the Avari (were all Silvan Elves considered to be Avari?) would keep having children into the Fourth Age or even beyond.

Elve? It's all right. It is perfectly acceptable to write Elf.

"Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them, as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house." - Aragorn

Noel Q. von Schneiffel
Rivendell

Jun 13 2012, 5:58pm

Post #3 of 7 (273 views)
Shortcut
Elvish children [In reply to] Can't Post

The truth is, Lothlórien was brimming with children. They simply could not be seen by the Fellowship because Elvish children are very small, and the grass in Lothlórien was very high.

The Glorious Truth of J.R.R. Tolkien
Radiates from his Holy Writings

http://www.tolkientruth.info/

sador
Half-elven

Jun 13 2012, 7:09pm

Post #4 of 7 (366 views)
Shortcut
Speaking of Legolas... [In reply to] Can't Post

Michael Martinez once wrote a controversial essay reagrding his age.
http://www.merp.com/...tinezsuite101essay06

Speaking of Arwen - well, she is the youngest one born to the Royal House. I don't think there is anything more to say.

However, is this rumor is correct, then Arwen's love for Aragorn gains in meaning. I've always wondered whether the scene in the movie in which she is granted a vision of Eldarion was not a nod to this fan-originated theory.

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Jun 13 2012, 8:44pm

Post #5 of 7 (268 views)
Shortcut
I can see why the essay was controversial... [In reply to] Can't Post

Martinez makes a number of assumptions that are not strongly supported, especially concerning any experiences that Legolas might have had beyond the borders of Mirkwood prior to the Council of Elrond. I do tend to agree with a birthdate fairly early in the Third Age, although I can't vouch for the year-of-birth of TA 87 ascribed to Legolas by some of the LotR film materials. It might have been within a couple of hundred of years of that though.

"Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them, as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house." - Aragorn

PhantomS
Rohan

Jun 14 2012, 3:01pm

Post #6 of 7 (257 views)
Shortcut
we must never be certain of these things [In reply to] Can't Post

she's the youngest child of Elrond and the youngest member of both the Noldor and Doriath bloodlines that is purely an Elf. That is just about it-no one has claimed to be younger , even Legolas.

As for the desire for children we must separate the High and Grey Elves of Beleriand from the Grey Elves of Lothlorien/Mirkwood; what we know is the High Elves consume a lot of their spirit when giving birth (Feanor's wife being incredibly exceptional) and would rather not be mothers too often, with even Galadriel limiting her activities to one child. The silvan Elves might not feel like that, having not been to Aman or being under Melian's protection in Doriath.

Hamfast Gamgee
Gondor

Jun 14 2012, 11:02pm

Post #7 of 7 (303 views)
Shortcut
I've often wondered this [In reply to] Can't Post

In the third age, it seems that more of the Eldar moved away to Valinor than were born in ME. A sign I suppose of the domination of man and the decline of the Elves. The sons of Elrond were born in the third age as well, but I can't think of any others. Mind, Elves in general didn't seem to have that many children, Feanor aside who had seven sons. But most of them were childless!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.