Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
SCOD: Aragorn and Boromir

Nightingale
Rohan

Jun 13 2012, 1:20pm

Post #1 of 15 (843 views)
Shortcut
SCOD: Aragorn and Boromir Can't Post

http://www.framecaplib.com/...es/fotr/fotr1052.htm

Hello all! Here’s the second instalment for this week. This shot jumped out at me as soon as I saw it (I can’t believe that I never noticed it before!), and thought that it was a great moment to consider the relationship between Aragorn and Boromir. Feel free to answer any or all of the following:

- This moment has parallels with the ‘friend of Gandalf’ encounter in Rivendell, as well as their later conversation in Lothlorien. Do you think either of them has changed their opinion of the other at this point? Where do you see this moment fitting on their character arc?

- We just have to talk about costumes here. I particularly admire the richness of Boromir’s furs and velvets, as well as those clasps with a Gondorian motif. Any thoughts?
I know very little about costume, so any technical insights would be greatly appreciated.

- Is the use of levels in the staging significant? What are your thoughts on the composition here?

- What are they thinking?
(serious or not as you choose Wink)

- Anything else?

"You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me" - C. S. Lewis

"That line between the earth and sky came beckoning to me..." - Laurie's Song

(This post was edited by Nightingale on Jun 13 2012, 1:27pm)

One Ringer
Tol Eressea

Jun 13 2012, 2:37pm

Post #2 of 15 (363 views)
Shortcut
Hrmm... [In reply to] Can't Post

Just popped the scene on to take a look at this. Never really noticed what happens in it, actually. I can't distinguish what it is, but Aragorn mumbles something that almost sounds like "Boromir" which grabs Boromir's attention before it cuts away. So much could be made from that, really, or so little (on account of how brief it is). I wouldn't make much of it, to be honest.

FOTR 10th Anniversary Music Video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33xJU3AIwsg

"You do not let your eyes see nor your ears hear, and that which is outside your daily life is not of account to you. Ah, it is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all; and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain."

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Jun 13 2012, 3:04pm

Post #3 of 15 (371 views)
Shortcut
My understanding [In reply to] Can't Post

Was that this scene was meant to show impatience with Gandalf's lack of memory about the crossroads. While it is possible that the shot may have originally served a different purpose (as it seems there is more going on there than we know), the way PJ cut the scene suggests that it's no more than that.

Nightingale
Rohan

Jun 13 2012, 3:53pm

Post #4 of 15 (342 views)
Shortcut
You are more than likely right... [In reply to] Can't Post

but it's fun to speculate! Wink I just love the way that despite the fact the shot is very short, time has been taken to get everything totally in character. Boromir's proud unease about the whole undertaking, the way that Aragorn is taking the chance to rest in the manner of every traveller who knows that they should grab every chance they can, the way they have their swords, etc...

A different original intention is certainly an idea.

"You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me" - C. S. Lewis

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Jun 13 2012, 4:03pm

Post #5 of 15 (343 views)
Shortcut
It looks like Aragorn senses the turmoil in Boromir's mind [In reply to] Can't Post

and is wondering how well he can be depended upon.

"There are some things that it is better to begin than to refuse, even though the end may be dark."

Noel Q. von Schneiffel
Rivendell

Jun 13 2012, 6:15pm

Post #6 of 15 (339 views)
Shortcut
"The lords of Gondor" [In reply to] Can't Post

I find this quite interesting, in particular because of Boromir's quote: "The tower guard shall call: The lords of Gondor have returned".

In Rivendell, IIRC, Boromir does not think too highly of Aragorn. One can see the look in his face: what does this ragged forest guy want? While at his death scene, he refers to Aragorn as his king, i.e. by then he has accepted his hereditary overlordship.

Here, it is an in-between stage. His respect for Aragorn has grown; he is ready to accept him as an equal, a "lord of Gondor", but not yet as a superior.
A big step already for someone as proud as Boromir.

The Glorious Truth of J.R.R. Tolkien
Radiates from his Holy Writings

http://www.tolkientruth.info/

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Jun 13 2012, 9:19pm

Post #7 of 15 (320 views)
Shortcut
Wrong scene [In reply to] Can't Post

This shot if from Moria, when the Fellowship rests as Gandalf tries to figure out which path to take at the Crossroads (left, right or center).

Noel Q. von Schneiffel
Rivendell

Jun 13 2012, 9:28pm

Post #8 of 15 (295 views)
Shortcut
Oops, sorry. [In reply to] Can't Post

I got it confused with the later scene.

The Glorious Truth of J.R.R. Tolkien
Radiates from his Holy Writings

http://www.tolkientruth.info/

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Jun 14 2012, 1:36am

Post #9 of 15 (313 views)
Shortcut
I think [In reply to] Can't Post

that the beginning of Aragorn understanding where Boromir is coming from and Boromir is learning that he can trust Aragorn at this point. Both are still a bit leery of each other but I think this is the beginning of them understanding one another since leaving Rivendell

zarabia
Grey Havens

Jun 15 2012, 5:26am

Post #10 of 15 (251 views)
Shortcut
Growing acceptance [In reply to] Can't Post

This moment has parallels with the ‘friend of Gandalf’ encounter in Rivendell, as well as their later conversation in Lothlorien. Do you think either of them has changed their opinion of the other at this point? Where do you see this moment fitting on their character arc?

I think mutual respect has grown between the two, but there's still a bit of suspicion - mostly on Aragorn's part - and a bit of resentment - mostly on Boromir's part. Yes, I think it's significant that Boromir is sitting up higher. Though he accepts that Aragorn is a brave and valiant warrior and leader, he still hasn't accepted yet that he has a legitimate claim to the Throne of Gondor. Boromir is still a long way from seeing Aragorn as his fellow Gondoran, let alone his king.

We just have to talk about costumes here. I particularly admire the richness of Boromir’s furs and velvets, as well as those clasps with a Gondorian motif. Any thoughts? I know very little about costume, so any technical insights would be greatly appreciated.

I have no technical insight either, but I can appreciate a beautifully crafted costume.

What are they thinking? (serious or not as you choose Wink)

Aragorn : "You think you've experienced stress? You haven't even chewed through the tips of your gloves yet. Get back to me when your gloves look like mine. And this is my second pair." Tongue

Thanks, Nightengale Smile

(This post was edited by zarabia on Jun 15 2012, 5:31am)

zarabia
Grey Havens

Jun 15 2012, 5:29am

Post #11 of 15 (241 views)
Shortcut
Oh, yeah! [In reply to] Can't Post

the way that Aragorn is taking the chance to rest in the manner of every traveller who knows that they should grab every chance they can,

Well spotted! That's exactly what it seems like.

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

Jun 16 2012, 10:00pm

Post #12 of 15 (226 views)
Shortcut
whoops a bit late sorry, here we are: [In reply to] Can't Post

- This moment has parallels with the ‘friend of Gandalf’ encounter in Rivendell, as well as their later conversation in Lothlorien. Do you think either of them has changed their opinion of the other at this point? Where do you see this moment fitting on their character arc?

I personally think it goes two ways, one Aragorn has more respect for Boromir or two, pities him as he sees how worrisome his nature is?. Boromir on the other hand is probably feeling less intimidated by Aragorn I'd say.

- We just have to talk about costumes here. I particularly admire the richness of Boromir’s furs and velvets, as well as those clasps with a Gondorian motif. Any thoughts?

I cannae say nought, but I've always loved Boromir's outfits :)

- Is the use of levels in the staging significant? What are your thoughts on the composition here?

It's really really good. Love it. Don't know if it has really that much significance, as that would be over-assessing IMO.

- What are they thinking? (serious or not as you choose Wink)

The end of the world is nigh, let's throw the biggest house party ever to have existed. In Dwarrodelf.

- Anything else?

I love the fire effect here.

Thanks so much Nightingale :D :D

Join us over at Barliman's chat all day, any day!

Laketown guy: What have the dwarves -ever- done for us?

Bard: The aqueduct!

Laketown guy: Piss off! We're not from Dale

Yngwulff
Gondor

Jun 16 2012, 10:48pm

Post #13 of 15 (232 views)
Shortcut
I see ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Pride vs humility.

Both have self doubts, but while Boromir seeks acclaim and glory Aragorn does not.

Take this Brother May it Serve you Well

Nightingale
Rohan

Jun 17 2012, 9:56am

Post #14 of 15 (198 views)
Shortcut
The fact that you got them confused [In reply to] Can't Post

highlights exactly what I mean about this shot fitting well with the other Aragorn/Boromir scenes. Smile

Nightingale
Rohan

Jun 17 2012, 9:58am

Post #15 of 15 (327 views)
Shortcut
I like that [In reply to] Can't Post

in fact, it's almost like they are the personifications of those qualities here. Title it 'Pride and Humility', and you almost have an allegorical painting. Wink

No really, joking aside, I think you have hit on an important aspect of the dynamic between the two.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.