Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Which changes in the Hobbit film (both rumoured and confirmed) are you most concerned/ annoyed about?
Poll: Which changes in the Hobbit film (both rumoured and confirmed) are you most concerned/ annoyed about?
Thorin being roughly 100 years younger
Radagast being killed off
Necromancer being at BOFA
Open topped barrels
The songs being more grim
Ringwraiths having prominent roles
Tauriel falling in love with a character (please, please be a joke)
PJ's sense of humour
The fairytale tone will be weighed down by all the additions or simply not followed
It will spend too much time setting up future events and ignore the simple, innocent nature of the story
Legolas!
Frodo framing device getting in the way of the story-Oh look it's him!
Too many references to LOTR- ie Hey look its a teenage aragorn...Hi Frodo
No talking animals
Made up/ brought in LOTR characters gievn dialogue or actions from existing characters
The story not covering two films
The design of certain characters/places
GDT's input feeling out of place
GDT's input being ignored
The ring being more evil
Irrelevant made up scenes taking away from the story
Won't feel like the book
Won't feel like the trilogy
3D/48 frames being a gimmick
Entire plotlines being dropped or altered becuase they don't fit in with trilogy
The humour/randomness of the book being changed to make it more 'Epic'
Bad Pace
The White Council/dol goldur subplot not flowing with the rest of the narrative
It feeling like a sideshow to the 'main event' (the trilogy)
the 3-d/48 frames being a gimmick
All of them!
None
None
View Results (226 votes)

malickfan
Gondor

Jun 8 2012, 11:04am

Post #1 of 18 (668 views)
Shortcut
Which changes in the Hobbit film (both rumoured and confirmed) are you most concerned/ annoyed about? Can't Post

DanielLB
Immortal

Jun 8 2012, 11:11am

Post #2 of 18 (281 views)
Shortcut
I suppose ... [In reply to] Can't Post

I am concerned, to some degree, of all the unconfirmed and confirmed deviations from the book.

As soon as I hear about a change, I wonder: "will it work? how will it work? will it look/be silly? does it really need changing?" and so on.

So I'm concerned about all. My main concern for the film is that they get Smaug right, and don't mess it up. I'm not bothered by open barrells, Kilauriel, an occassional burp or a Legolas look. They don't form the basis and foundations of the film. Yes there are a few added extras and a few small omissions, but overall the film will stay fairly true to the book. As long as they get the story right, I don't see a problem Smile

Magpie
Immortal

Jun 8 2012, 2:07pm

Post #3 of 18 (284 views)
Shortcut
None because: [In reply to] Can't Post

A: tracking changes is too spoilerish

B: tracking changes by reading in the Hobbit board is too angsty

C: I haven't seen the movie yet so how will I know what I think? - I like to preplan and have it all laid out for me but it never works that way so why pretend.

D: I got other things to worry about. I think people who worry about these sorts of things are blessed and I hope they know it. Life can whack you up the head in ways that knocks stuff like this out. If you're head is unwhacked - good for you. But it might be better to enjoy it rather than find something that makes you unhappy. (using *you* in the general/generic way - not the personal/aimed at any particular person way).

Now... ask this question after the movie and I could answer very differently. I might dislike one or multiple items and I won't be afraid to say so. But I frankly can't be bothered now. I always imagined the pre-LOTR excitement would have been fun. If this is what it was like (at least in online communities), I missed nothing.

Finwe
Lorien

Jun 8 2012, 2:36pm

Post #4 of 18 (235 views)
Shortcut
None [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not worried about any of the changes at the moment. After I see the movie, there will probably be some of the things that I won't be overly fond of, but there will probably be some scenes straight from the book that I won't be overly fond of either. I'm excited to find out! Smile

Annael
Half-elven

Jun 8 2012, 2:51pm

Post #5 of 18 (239 views)
Shortcut
*points up* what she said. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll wait until I see it.

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Jun 8 2012, 5:05pm

Post #6 of 18 (255 views)
Shortcut
I'd have to agree with Magpie. [In reply to] Can't Post

Reading a recent post on the Hobbit board just makes me glad I missed out on all the pre-LOTR speculation. I imagine it to have been much worse at times.

I'll wait for the movie to come out before I get all bothered. All I ask is to be entertained by it and not have wasted my money to see it. I also want my kids to enjoy it.

RosieLass
Valinor

Jun 8 2012, 6:30pm

Post #7 of 18 (229 views)
Shortcut
I picked a few of them. [In reply to] Can't Post

But in the general scheme of things, none of them really "concerns" me.

Come opening day, I may think "oh, that's too bad, that really doesn't work" when Tauriel and Kili elope or when Sauron wipes out Smaug with his laser eyebeam at the BOFA. Or I may be so overwhelmed by all the pretty eye-candy that I love every minute of it. Heart

It's hard to tell at this point.

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Jun 9 2012, 1:26am

Post #8 of 18 (202 views)
Shortcut
I'm really not a fan [In reply to] Can't Post

of the open barrels, I just think it destroys the whole meaning of that sequence which is about Bilbo and did he make the right decision to put the dwarfs in the barrels and secondly are the dwarfs alive when they get to Laketown. The Necromancer at the BO5A definitely a big mistake goes against everything Tolkien had in the book and makes the battle more about the fight for middle earth than for Thorin's inheritance Winkthat he recently acquired, The wraiths well its too late to change it, hopefully they can edit them out but if they don't cross over into the story of the Bilbo and the dwarfs I might be able to ignore themAngelic. I just think any unnecessary changes that serve no real purpose other than spice things up should be left alone and put back in line with the original text... not made exactly like it but kept close so that it is a true adaptation instead of a loosely based one... thats allAngelic

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jun 9 2012, 2:30am

Post #9 of 18 (214 views)
Shortcut
Frodo! [In reply to] Can't Post

I understand Galadriel, Saruman, & Legolas having roles, but shoe-horning in Frodo just to draw in the LOTR fans just grates on me. The framing device works in-and-of itself, but it's not a part of the Hobbit and I don't like it being added.

Ultimately, I don't think it'll take up very much time, and therefore won't be a big deal, but I'd still rather it not be there.

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 9 2012, 5:24am

Post #10 of 18 (208 views)
Shortcut
I'm not really worried about anything... [In reply to] Can't Post

but the thing that's caused the biggest ??? reaction from me so far is the Ringwraith tombs. I'm quite curious to see what that's about.

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Jun 9 2012, 6:58am

Post #11 of 18 (212 views)
Shortcut
Not concerned [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not concerned, mostly for reasons stated by Magpie, but also having to do with the fact that The Hobbit is not my favorite Tolkien work. Don't get me wrong - I'm certainly looking forward to the film, but I'm not really invested in seeing the book brought to the screen the way many here are. I'm mostly interested in getting to return to PJ's Middle-earth. I understand some people's trepidation about PJ's handling of TH, his taste and humor are not always consistent, but, on the whole, I enjoyed his vision of Middle-earth in LOTR and I can't wait to see it again.

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

Jun 9 2012, 12:32pm

Post #12 of 18 (198 views)
Shortcut
When I saw this I was like 'nah there wont be that much I'm worried about'.... then I realised that half of these are actually worrying! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Crazy

Magpie
Immortal

Jun 9 2012, 2:54pm

Post #13 of 18 (215 views)
Shortcut
but will you worry. [In reply to] Can't Post

There are lots of things in the world that are potentially or actually worrying. Do we worry about all of them?

That's the question. :-)

It's kind of broken down into - pre-release worry or post-release reaction

For kicks, I just looked up the word at onelook.com

There are varying definitions. I think the one we're really talking about here is:
to feel nervous and upset because you keep thinking about a problem that you have or could have in the future

http://www.macmillandictionary.com/...onary/american/worry
We don't exactly know what problems we* will* have so we are dealing with problems we *could* have. It's the 'could have' that keeps me from going there. If I have to eliminate things to worry about, one factor will be whether the event that is worrying me will actually happen for sure. (As a kid and young adult, I used to come up with every possible scenario to worry about. I think my reasoning was, if I planned for the worst, I would be prepared. In reality, you can't always prepare for life and trying to by planning for every contingency - especially all the bad ones - is exhausting)

It was kind of interesting to look at the etymology.
Worrying may shorten one's life, but not as quickly as it once did. The ancestor of our word, Old English wyrgan, meant "to strangle." Its Middle English descendant, worien, kept this sense and developed the new sense "to grasp by the throat with the teeth and lacerate" or "to kill or injure by biting and shaking." This is the way wolves or dogs might attack sheep, for example. In the 16th century worry began to be used in the sense "to harass, as by rough treatment or attack," or "to assault verbally," and in the 17th century the word took on the sense "to bother, distress, or persecute." It was a small step from this sense to the main modern senses "to cause to feel anxious or distressed" and "to feel troubled or uneasy," first recorded in the 19th century.

http://education.yahoo.com/...ctionary/entry/worry
I get the feeling that some people are worried almost to the point of grasping by the throat and shaking. ;-p

I didn't even look at the list, to be honest. Because I don't know that I will like some of the stuff I've gotten wiffs of. To bring it back to the 'or' statement I made, I may very well react to what I do see when the time comes. But I have the best chance of liking the movie if I am not going in worried it will suck. And I'd really want to like the movie. :-)

Niniel Valinor
Rivendell

Jun 9 2012, 8:53pm

Post #14 of 18 (208 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

I have mostly belief in PJ, but I gotta say the whole love thing between "instercharacter" and "insertcharacter" seems a bit weird. I do love that dwarf, has been since I read the book years ago, but it seems weird beyond words of reasons.

Elizabeth
Valinor

Jun 10 2012, 6:32am

Post #15 of 18 (211 views)
Shortcut
A better way to phrase it... [In reply to] Can't Post

...might be, "what changes do you really think would diminish the enjoyment of the movie for you?"

That's how I understand the question, and I marked about 1/4 of them.

sevilodorf
Gondor

Jun 10 2012, 9:24pm

Post #16 of 18 (213 views)
Shortcut
Primarily because I've made an effort [In reply to] Can't Post

NOT to pay attention to all the info out there. I move very quickly past with my eyes averted. It will be what it will be and if I don't like it I won't go see it 9 times.

Sam20
Lorien

Jun 28 2012, 11:21pm

Post #17 of 18 (145 views)
Shortcut
Concerning things to me. [In reply to] Can't Post

sevilodorf, that is wise and I agree with you the movies will be what they will be for good or bad and there is not much that can't be done to change that I am afraid.

Still to respond to this Poll I guess all those things in the list below are matter of concerns but to simply narrow it down at two I would pick the presence of the Necromencer in the BOT5A and Tauriel (even worst her falling in love with some character in the films) but are all those things going to happen? I hope not and maybe it won't.

(This post was edited by sam90 on Jun 28 2012, 11:30pm)

Jeremy
Rivendell

Jul 14 2012, 4:24pm

Post #18 of 18 (269 views)
Shortcut
Necromancer [In reply to] Can't Post

Hm, I never heard the rumor that Sauron would appear at Battle of the Five Armies. How would that make sense though? He's not even shown in LotR.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.