'There’s more than hope' - Michael Lynne comment on The Hobbit
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Elven
Valinor

Oct 10 2007, 8:21pm

Post #26 of 57 (14811 views)
Shortcut
Agreed!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I dont think they have a script as such ... but a full draft ... yes !!
Maybe theres a chunky storyboard outline hanging around ...
*looks under bed*
*looks in carport*
Laugh

The Road Goes Ever On and On ...
Happy 70th Birthday to The Hobbit!!

Tolkien was a Capricorn!
..*sing & sway* "All we are saying ..Is Give Pete A Chance" ...
"Your friends are with you Peter"
Let the Hobbit Happen!!!

deej
Tol Eressea

Oct 10 2007, 8:25pm

Post #27 of 57 (14750 views)
Shortcut
Good point [In reply to] Can't Post

And I wouldn't be surprised if they were even knocking around ideas for it while they were working on the 'LotR' scripts.

Sincerely, deej - The Artist Formerly Known as djdeathskiss

Patty
Immortal

Oct 10 2007, 8:51pm

Post #28 of 57 (14872 views)
Shortcut
I think we'll hear something after The Golden Compass has been out for a while... [In reply to] Can't Post

they'll want to give it some space.

I'm thinking that we won't see LotR in High Def until this lawsuit is settled, too. PJ originally said that any new set (like the high def set) would have new material in it, and I imagine NL would want his participation again--which they're not getting until the suit is settled.

For Gondor!

Darkstone
Immortal

Oct 10 2007, 8:54pm

Post #29 of 57 (14824 views)
Shortcut
And [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm thinking that we won't see LotR in High Def until this lawsuit is settled, too.

Hopefully by then we'll know which HD format is going the way of Betamax.

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.”

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Oct 10 2007, 9:08pm

Post #30 of 57 (14938 views)
Shortcut
Ok... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Jack Lewis wrote the scripts for "Billy the Kid Versus Dracula" (1966) and its sequel "Jesse James Meets Frankenstein's Daughter" (also 1965) in less than two weeks! And veteran Hollywood director (over 350 movies) William "One Shot" Beaudine was able to film each one in eight days. (Slow for him. His record for shooting a film was two days.)

New Line, the studio that gave us "Freddy Versus Jason" (2003), should have absolutely no problem at all!!

BTW, Beaudine's most famous quote was "You mean someone out there is actually waiting to see this?"

...if you want The Hobbit to be that kind of movie.

Son of Elizabeth in Frodo's tree
March, 2007

Elizabeth is the TORnsib formerly known as 'erather'

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 10 2007, 9:19pm

Post #31 of 57 (14873 views)
Shortcut
Yeah but [In reply to] Can't Post

George Lucas couldn't write 'SOS' without making it turgid.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Darkstone
Immortal

Oct 10 2007, 9:23pm

Post #32 of 57 (14792 views)
Shortcut
Oh, so you want a *good* movie? [In reply to] Can't Post

Then I'd say at least two years for script development as an absolute minimum. Anything quicker than that and you might as well have "Bilbo Baggins Meets Jesse James and Dracula".

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.”

Darkstone
Immortal

Oct 10 2007, 9:31pm

Post #33 of 57 (14933 views)
Shortcut
As Harrison Ford said... [In reply to] Can't Post

... "You can't act it. You just have to say it." Or perhaps more to the point, "#$$%&# it, George! How do you expect us to say this $&%#$#???"

Patty
Immortal

Oct 10 2007, 10:48pm

Post #34 of 57 (14799 views)
Shortcut
Morwen's poll on the home page is great. Vote what you think... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm thinking early 2008 we'll hear something more definite.

For Gondor!

Morwen
Rohan

Oct 11 2007, 12:14am

Post #35 of 57 (14775 views)
Shortcut
Oops! [In reply to] Can't Post

It certainly is an excellent poll, but I don't get credit for it. A previous poll on the home page, about Children of Hurin, came from a poll I posted on the Pollantir and TPB graciously gave me a nod for it.. Apparently, no one thought to take my name off the bottom, and I can't take credit for this poll that I had nothing to do with. I never noticed that my name was still there until I saw your post. I certainly encourage everyone to vote, however!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I've heard your anguish, I've heard your hearts cry out
We are tired, we are weary, but we aren't worn out
Set down your chains, until only faith remains
Set down your chains--Jewel

TonyStarks
The Shire

Oct 11 2007, 12:38am

Post #36 of 57 (14934 views)
Shortcut
For some reason I can't view the video..hmmmm ..very annoyed [In reply to] Can't Post

DO you know if thsi video is blocked to any parts of north america...like Canada lets say...this might sound stupid but I've seen it done before by MTV.
Do you have another link? I tried youtube but doesnt seem to be there yet.
Any idea?

THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP!!!!
(in advance)

Idril Celebrindal
Tol Eressea

Oct 11 2007, 1:21am

Post #37 of 57 (14760 views)
Shortcut
Script? We don't need no steenking script! [In reply to] Can't Post

Why bother to write a script when we have Book-a-Minute?!?!

http://www.rinkworks.com/...tolkien.hobbit.shtml

With caffeine, all things are possible.

The pity of Bilbo will screw up the fate of many.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 11 2007, 1:23am

Post #38 of 57 (14818 views)
Shortcut
Another Tolkien on board!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

How wonderful is that!? Is this the same nephew that's doing the sculpture that we're going to be contributing to purchasing a TORn leaf for?

Thanks for finding this... and I totally agree with your praise of TPTB able to spend more time on the boards. *waves hi*

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

My DragonCon 07 Report

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 11 2007, 1:25am

Post #39 of 57 (15006 views)
Shortcut
It's going to happen!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's coming together and even those who have been very cautious can't hide their optimism and excitement! *twitch* OMG

Yeppers... it's gonna happen... and that's FLAT!

sample sample

My DragonCon 07 Report

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Oct 11 2007, 1:26am)

Altaira
Superuser

Oct 11 2007, 1:35am

Post #40 of 57 (14821 views)
Shortcut
Welcome to TORn, Tony [In reply to] Can't Post

Not sure why you can't play it. Did you try following the MTV Blog link and playing it from the MTV Blog site?

In any case, I hope you stick around and discuss this, and future Hobbit news with us. Smile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"All we have to decide is what to do with the boards that are given to us"

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

Finding Frodo
Tol Eressea

Oct 11 2007, 2:07am

Post #41 of 57 (14813 views)
Shortcut
"Just a fool's hope" [In reply to] Can't Post

That's what Mr. FF said when I showed him the video. What a card.

Where's Frodo?

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 11 2007, 3:21am

Post #42 of 57 (18939 views)
Shortcut
Bless book-a-minute. :) / [In reply to] Can't Post

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Sunflower
Valinor

Oct 11 2007, 5:58am

Post #43 of 57 (14485 views)
Shortcut
I agree.... [In reply to] Can't Post

...no new news here.

I'll bet the only reason Shaye and Lynne are promising anything is that they're expecting a big windfall from the Golden Compass in December, and any announcement still won't be until Jan. at minimum, per disclosures of TGC profits to cover the monies owed.

And I agree with the others: It has to be Peter directing or nothing. Funny, my opinion on this changes by the day. Yesterday I said I if push came to shove I'd accept Guillermo de Toro and no-one else, if PJ was out. But the more "positive" news I get, that old lovin' feelin' for the PJ Team keeps coming back. The "nostalgia factor" is more powerful than anything...I hope for them too.

We still haven't answered the $64,000 question: How is PJ going to keep his "Tintin" commitment to Spielberg? I wouldn't mind putting The Hobbit off to 2011 so he can keep that commitment. He can't back out of that. Even if a script has been mostly done by the PJ and crew, with pre and post production it'll still take at least 2 yrs to bring this to the screen. And if it's 2 films (as hoped), this throws a real monkey wrench into things. Honestly, I STILL hate NL's guts, for probably forcing PH into a schedule where he can probably only exec produce. If we hadn't had this mess, he would have committed to The Hobbit *before* Tintin.

Still, this made my night.. Derwyn, if you're on here, you know what I mean, you and your correspondent. Thanks (so far) for all.

Rogash
Bree

Oct 11 2007, 6:19am

Post #44 of 57 (19078 views)
Shortcut
I Think that [In reply to] Can't Post

If Peter jackson respect Tolkien and his one million fans,he will direct The Hobbit.

Sunflower
Valinor

Oct 11 2007, 9:32am

Post #45 of 57 (14886 views)
Shortcut
Folks, hate to say it, but..... [In reply to] Can't Post

I have just been over on Ain't It Cool News and there's a report from one of their "reporters" who was visiting the Indiana Jones set. They got to meet Stephen Spielberg, actually sat down for lunch with him. It was a "meet and greet" for fansites covering Indy 4. When asked about the Tintin films, Spielberg told the AICN guy that he was directing one, PJ was directing one, "and if we don't find someone we like for the third one, we'll both direct it." Moreover, he said that when he was directing his film, PJ was going to be on hand during the filming process; and when PJ was doing his, Spielberg was going to be onset to supervise. So it looks as if the Tintin films with PJ are a lock, whatever else happens. And as far as we know, Spielberg hasn't changed his schedule.

This is straight from the horse's mouth, ladies and gents; go to www.aint-it-cool-news and read about it.

I have no idea how Peter Jackson is going to direct two Hobbit films, or even one, before 2011. And, as someone has pointed out, New Line sound as if they're in a real rush....

(This post was edited by Sunflower on Oct 11 2007, 9:40am)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 11 2007, 11:49am

Post #46 of 57 (14407 views)
Shortcut
Peter's shown he can [In reply to] Can't Post

be in a dozen places at the same time as he did when he was overseeing multiple units during the filming the The Lord of the Rings. Granted... this is massively different; but if the plan is for him to act as Executive Producer and have the say and see over what's done with the filming of The Hobbit and its sequel, I think it's the best way he has found to still be the guardian/shepherd of Tolkien's works even though he physically can't be present for every day of the shoot.

I also think that he has a LOT of his team in place that had as much of a hand in the directing of LotR as he did. Andre Lesnie, Fran Walsh, John Mahaffie and Geoff Murphy; editing by Jamie Selkirk and John Gilbert; Weta and Richard Taylor; and production/miniatures/sets with the Hannahs, Grant Major ... all those people who worked so closely with Peter and know his sensibility, mindset, and artistic brush would be able to do SO MUCH toward keeping the look and feel of Middle-earth intact until Peter could take the time to look over what's been done is totally do-able. The films aren't as complex as LotR was, too.

*rereads* How's THAT for a run-on sentence ;)

Trust... If anyone could make this happen, Peter and his filmic family can.

sample sample

My DragonCon 07 Report

SandWitch King
Rohan

Oct 11 2007, 4:53pm

Post #47 of 57 (14824 views)
Shortcut
Very cool screen name, and a little IRONic man. {NT} [In reply to] Can't Post

No wonder all writers want to direct: one still has to put up with a load of nonsense, but even if wearing two hats (writer and director), there is one under which one is not called a thief and then raped - David Mamet

BuckyUnderbelly
Lorien

Oct 11 2007, 5:45pm

Post #48 of 57 (14854 views)
Shortcut
yay! [In reply to] Can't Post

My guess is, that talks have been going on for some time and have probably progressed quite far already. Keeping the creative team together just makes WAY too much common (and financial) sense. No matter how bruised Bob Shaye's ego might be, the man's no fool. He knows a sure thing when he sees it.

In fact I'll bet that negotiations with PJ are feverishly steaming forward in hopes of getting some kind of surprise announcement trailer tacked onto the beginning of The Golden Compass. How cool would that be?!

Here's how I'd do it:

Fade in on the New Line logo in the mist ... then fade to black.

Fade up on that oh-so-familiar font saying something like: "Even the greatest adventure ... begins with a single step ..."

Then cut to a shot of a fuzzy hobbit foot tentatively crossing the threshhold of Bag End ... and stepping onto the road.

Cut to black.

Then the words: "Christmas 2009" fade onto the screen over the trilling notes of Howard Shore's Hobbiton music.

Then I hyperventilate and pass out!

(This post was edited by BuckyUnderbelly on Oct 11 2007, 5:48pm)

BuckyUnderbelly
Lorien

Oct 11 2007, 5:51pm

Post #49 of 57 (14761 views)
Shortcut
And it would be easy to shoot ... [In reply to] Can't Post

... a shot of a hobbit foot. Since PJ had the human-sized Bag End set permanently implanted in his back yard!

Patty
Immortal

Oct 11 2007, 6:00pm

Post #50 of 57 (14793 views)
Shortcut
I love your way of thinking.. [In reply to] Can't Post

just about as much as I love your nick! Welcome!

For Gondor!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.