Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
7th vlog is now on!!!
First page Previous page 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 15 Next page Last page  View All

MrCere
Sr. Staff

Jun 6 2012, 8:59pm

Post #151 of 353 (22564 views)
Shortcut
You gonna be there? [In reply to] Can't Post

Or are you following along from home?

I have no choice but to believe in free will.

The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie

My blog

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jun 6 2012, 9:09pm

Post #152 of 353 (22558 views)
Shortcut
I'm very glad to hear all this. [In reply to] Can't Post

The vlogs have been amazing, and I'm glad to hear he's so instrumental in the behind-the-scenes stuff. Looking forward to everything else he has to show us!

ElendilTheShort
Gondor

Jun 6 2012, 9:14pm

Post #153 of 353 (22582 views)
Shortcut
I never understood [In reply to] Can't Post

the whole "Red Axe" excitement. I thought the term just referred to the fact that his axe would be covered in blood. There are other references for example in LOTR of red swords. It is similar to people getting all confused over Legolas' white knife which simply refers to the fact the steel blade of the knife was polished bright.

Awesome vlog, most revealing so far.

(This post was edited by ElendilTheShort on Jun 6 2012, 9:15pm)

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Jun 6 2012, 9:28pm

Post #154 of 353 (22556 views)
Shortcut
reply [In reply to] Can't Post

JUST SAW IT!!! MY GOD! UNBELIEVABLE!
And such pristine quality!! YEEEEEE

Pj and Team: i Heart you

DanielLB
Immortal

Jun 6 2012, 9:36pm

Post #155 of 353 (22510 views)
Shortcut
No, no, no [In reply to] Can't Post

Unless you would like to contribute to the "Daniel Fund"? Wink

I'll be watching from home (as always) but excited by all the reveals!

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Jun 6 2012, 9:53pm

Post #156 of 353 (22496 views)
Shortcut
question [In reply to] Can't Post

Ei did any of you get a "geekgasm" from watching The King Under The Mountain , Orccrist in his hand, steadily walking down that burning tree??

I think its my favourite shotSmile

I have to say...the shooting and editing of this vblog is AMAZING! No one else does this so well.It looks like a story unto itself....and the video quality aaahhh...im dead... We are so lucky....

PS: if only game of thrones had these financial meansFrown

DanielLB
Immortal

Jun 6 2012, 9:55pm

Post #157 of 353 (22512 views)
Shortcut
I was impressed by the fire... [In reply to] Can't Post

I just assumed they would use cgi Crazy

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Jun 6 2012, 9:59pm

Post #158 of 353 (22489 views)
Shortcut
reply to danielb [In reply to] Can't Post

How cool it must have been for RA to do that scene...

TheHutt
Gondor

Jun 6 2012, 10:38pm

Post #159 of 353 (22436 views)
Shortcut
Video Blog with Russian subtitles [In reply to] Can't Post

Video Blog with Russian subtitles:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AbInvpcbB8

titanium_hobbit
Rohan

Jun 6 2012, 10:51pm

Post #160 of 353 (22475 views)
Shortcut
you're a star! (+ some gaps filled) [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks Silverlode!

what I heard (filling in some gaps)

Brigitte: - no idea!
Maybe Mate, must get the plane for Howard Shore?
Mate, who wants to get the plane for Howard Shore?
(IS HOWARD SHORE IN NZ, then?)

mother freighter?

flatting: a flat is an apartment.

ooh, that was rubbish!
where's the green frog ? (Statler and Waldorf impersonation- from The Muppets)

Bomber: I've got a wet arse (commonwealth spelling :) )

Bruno: welcome guys

Dave Brown: Tony Kitty ?

Hobbit firster, Book firster.

Have you explored all of TORN's forums?

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Jun 6 2012, 11:50pm

Post #161 of 353 (22515 views)
Shortcut
Yes, either white warg or new white beast - Richard Taylor was certainly having fun, whatever it was. // [In reply to] Can't Post

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, with axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Jun 6 2012, 11:51pm

Post #162 of 353 (22383 views)
Shortcut
Agreed, that hammer was amazing and scary! // [In reply to] Can't Post

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, with axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Jun 7 2012, 12:10am

Post #163 of 353 (22487 views)
Shortcut
Still extremely disappointed about the barrels [In reply to] Can't Post

the dwarfs should be sealed up in the barrels in the river, no if and or buts about it... What purpose does it serve having them out floating half out of the barrels? It's not even close to the book. the book they got to the end they were covered in hay or whatever Bilbo could pack them in with, and some remarked on never be able to eat whatever the smell was that was in the barrel again (i think it was apples) plus it showed Bilbo's resourcefulness... It's way off base Frown, some of the other stuff looked pretty coolWink but the barrels scene is not even close to the book from what I could see in the Vlog

(This post was edited by sinister71 on Jun 7 2012, 12:12am)

Pipe Dream
Gondor

Jun 7 2012, 12:24am

Post #164 of 353 (22381 views)
Shortcut
I agree with you on this, however... [In reply to] Can't Post

"X" amount of time watching sealed barrels floating down stream would be boring on film. Perhaps they will be sealed in for the escape and pop out later. I'm already over it.

"There is a long road yet," said Gandalf. "But it is the last road," said Bilbo.

Finrod
Rohan

Jun 7 2012, 12:34am

Post #165 of 353 (22375 views)
Shortcut
walk a mile in someone else's shoes [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
the dwarfs should be sealed up in the barrels in the river, no if and or buts about it... What purpose does it serve having them out floating half out of the barrels? It's not even close to the book. the book they got to the end they were covered in hay or whatever Bilbo could pack them in with, and some remarked on never be able to eat whatever the smell was that was in the barrel again (i think it was apples) plus it showed Bilbo's resourcefulness... It's way off base Frown, some of the other stuff looked pretty coolWink but the barrels scene is not even close to the book from what I could see in the Vlog

Just because you are incable of imagining why the filmmakers might be doing this doesn’t mean they are similarly blinded.

In fact, much to the contrary. Fortunately!

Which is why they’re filmmakers. You cannot film a book. I encourage you to try to sometime. It might save us all from the worst of your rants.

Or not. Hope springs eternal.

You need to step back and settle down. Stop screaming about every possible thing that might not be as it is in The Book. Start thinking very carefully and very deliberately about what possible reasons the filmmakers may have had for making the various decisions they’ve made, and which you go ranting and railing about. Think of yourself in their shoes for a change.

You never do that. You need to. What you do is exhausting to behold, and more than a little queasifying. For everyone’s sake, please give it a rest. You're just making yourself unhappy with all this bile. And other people, too.

…all eyes looked upon the ring; for he held it now aloft, and the green jewels gleamed there that the Noldor had devised in Valinor. For this ring was like to twin serpents, whose eyes were emeralds, and their heads met beneath a crown of golden flowers, that the one upheld and the other devoured; that was the badge of Finarfin and his house.
The Silmarillion, pp 150-151
while Felagund laughs beneath the trees
in Valinor and comes no more
to this grey world of tears and war.
The Lays of Beleriand, p 311

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Jun 7 2012, 12:38am

Post #166 of 353 (22395 views)
Shortcut
and maybe you need to stop thinking that changes that are unnecessary are ok [In reply to] Can't Post

what purpose does having the dwarfs bobbing around making jokes and being seen do Nothing what so ever and I wasn't ranting I had a valid point its nothing like the book at all other than its in a river... thank god i'm not a film maker, cause guess what people would be getting Tolkien and not some half witted attempt at it to appease the mass market hearing every bit of

and if I were in their shoes I would have the dwarfs in the barrels floating down the river being put there by Bilbo himself grumbling every little grumble that they had to offer while floating down the river, then being pulled out of the river by the men of Laketown like they are supposed to be

(This post was edited by sinister71 on Jun 7 2012, 12:44am)

The Grey Wanderer
Lorien

Jun 7 2012, 12:45am

Post #167 of 353 (22313 views)
Shortcut
Kieran definitely put a high point into a long day for me too!// [In reply to] Can't Post

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Jun 7 2012, 12:47am

Post #168 of 353 (22284 views)
Shortcut
Kieran has always been funny [In reply to] Can't Post

I loved seeing him order Viggo around in the Bonus footage for LOTR

Beutlin
Rivendell

Jun 7 2012, 12:48am

Post #169 of 353 (22351 views)
Shortcut
The purpose is better visualization. [In reply to] Can't Post

You cannot see the dwarves' reactions, if they are sealed up in the barrels.

Ceterum censeo montem artis magicae atrae esse delendum.

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Jun 7 2012, 12:53am

Post #170 of 353 (22346 views)
Shortcut
thing is that scene [In reply to] Can't Post

is not about the dwarfs reactions, do we need to see every dwarf in every scene? NO we don't in the book we didn't know whether the dwarfs were alive or dead, drown, or what. The scene is about Bilbo rescuing the dwarfs and being unsure if he made the right decision. Not oooh lets go rafting down the river because it will be exciting. Thats part of the scene the not knowing what is happening to the dwarfs, wondering if they are all going to come out alive not seeing their expressions. Bilbo himself wondered that while they were floating down the river thinking he had possibly drown some of them. Thats what that scene is about

(This post was edited by sinister71 on Jun 7 2012, 12:54am)

ElendilTheShort
Gondor

Jun 7 2012, 1:27am

Post #171 of 353 (22286 views)
Shortcut
That was my inital reaction too [In reply to] Can't Post

but then I thought..hello, they could have internal barell shots, conveying the confinement and discomfort of the dwarves. It would be dark and claustrophobic and more physically viable and realistic than dwarves bobbing up and down in open barrels which in all likelyhood would tip over almost immediatley in such a situation. Please do something that is the same as the books Sir Peter.

sinister71 keep "ranting" as it has been put. There are others that agree with you. As you say the scene is another one about Bilbo and his continued growth and resourcefulness and we are not meant to know the dwarves status until they are de-barelled (un-barelled??? barrellless???? barrel liberated???? what is the best way to describe it??)

(This post was edited by ElendilTheShort on Jun 7 2012, 1:29am)

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Jun 7 2012, 1:29am

Post #172 of 353 (22312 views)
Shortcut
reply to sinister71 [In reply to] Can't Post

Sinister71: im sorry to say this but comrade Finrod said as it is.
Every time we see every little difference from thebooks, the hair, the barrels open, a tree down, a bit of body comedy, dialogue or whatever, you and others immediately go into a rant about what a disappontment it is, how horrible it is, and you havent even seen it on screen, with a context, which is what qualifies someone to criticize a moment or a character...it really sounds like a broken record...
and dont think please, im one too...i think dwalins hair and costume is a bit strange for me..somehow i dont like that hair..i hope i will...

Finrod says you should place yourself on their shoes...and thats spot on.

To create a movie adaptation, it involves fulfilling certain parameters, goals, like exciting moments, a good pace, giving more fighting to spice the danger up, to show how dangerous something is by incresing its visual impact, or being more direct rather than book subtle...

All this because you have to convey the excitement, the beauty, the danger, the profiles in 2 or 3 hours mos, t to a film audience...that is dramatically different than reading a book...i havent given much thought to this particular scene...but i suppose having 13 closed barrels just float down the river...not that exciting...by , after the closed barrels moments....having them break them and face the danger of some rapids seems very logical from a filmmaking point of view...

"What purpose does it serve having them out floating half out of the barrels? "....hammm..they can talk or shout at each other? could be usefull...i dont know, i havent read the script...but i also think the screenwriters are not stupid, if they decided this they have a reason...and surely not giving in to the mass market...probably to do with pace, and a necessary sense of escape through danger into even more danger....

unnecessary? ..how do you know that? for whom or what is it unnecessary?
this is not about watching the story unfold from the view point of the reader...but the cinema goer...13 grumpy dwarves in the dark saying curses to this or that might very well be not that entertaining...they could have done it just like that and realised the scene needed some danger...

And concerning the not knowing what happ to the dwarves..they will do that surely...there will be a moment when they are sealed and bilbo doesnt know...they might shoot inside the barrels...then them going ahhh breakkk em POF!...then they can kick the tops off...

(This post was edited by Lusitano on Jun 7 2012, 1:32am)

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Jun 7 2012, 1:46am

Post #173 of 353 (22313 views)
Shortcut
the point was... [In reply to] Can't Post

its nothing like the events of the book, not even close. well I guess at least there is a river in it... Its the whole point of not knowing they are ok that is the purpose of that scene, its the thinking of Bilbo 'Oh my god I've drown some of the dwarfs" its the finding out when they get to their destination Oh my god they are alright, maybe a bit beaten up... but alright. Not yelling at each other or joking or having a good time in the river. I seen no peril in the faces of the dwarfs as we saw them. If there were something in common with the book I wouldn't complain but its nothing like the book. I'm sorry I call a spade a spade but its true. So far I see nothing in common with the books version of the barrels out of bond section is that an adaptation to completely change the feeling of the sequence from the book. I thought they wanted to have the same tone, dwarfs talking and yelling at each other doesn't have the same tone as not knowing what has become of the dwarfs... besides that section is more about Bilbo than the dwarfs, how did it become about them from being about Bilbo? its about Bilbo wondering did he do the right thing, should he have left them in Thranduil's dungeon, should he have thought of a different plan, all about Bilbo not the dwarfs. I still think they should be stuck in the barrels so we wonder what will become of them if they have drown just like Bilbo does (at least in the book)

Filming 13 barrels floating down a river well not so exciting but it doesn't need to be 15 minute long either, but I feel as I'm sure others do they should have just stayed at least in the same area code as the material from the book not necessarily the same street or block but at least the same area code which they havent, but your right I don't know what they are thinking I don't think they do either from seeing that scene.

(This post was edited by sinister71 on Jun 7 2012, 1:49am)

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Jun 7 2012, 3:09am

Post #174 of 353 (22283 views)
Shortcut
Sinister71: You should really give up on these two Hobbit films. [In reply to] Can't Post

We certainly understand that you do not (or will not) like them.

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

(This post was edited by Kangi Ska on Jun 7 2012, 3:10am)

droidsocket
Lorien

Jun 7 2012, 3:32am

Post #175 of 353 (22236 views)
Shortcut
whats the point? [In reply to] Can't Post

well film is a visual medium...so if PJ decides he want the barrel seen to be more fun in the rapids it would be a whole lot more fun to see the dwarves pounded around in the water rather then 12 closed barrels with only one character in view the whole time

First page Previous page 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 15 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.