Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Total Film interview: Kili will be 'pursuing female elf Tauriel'
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next page Last page  View All

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Jun 8 2012, 11:11pm

Post #176 of 189 (600 views)
Shortcut
"Is this a kissing [movie]?" [In reply to] Can't Post

Laugh

* sigh *

Okay imma admit something (though I think I have already) I love love loved the Arwen and Aragorn arc, in spite of what it did to canon. It was well done and divinely romantic... hardly touched by barf inducing schlockiness at all.

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on Jun 8 2012, 11:14pm)

Tim
Tol Eressea

Jun 8 2012, 11:12pm

Post #177 of 189 (588 views)
Shortcut
Guess who's... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
are thee theaters going to supply barf bags to those of us sickened by this idea? Tongue I would hate to be the usher cleaning those theatersWink

... coming to dinner.

Wink

King Arthur: You know much that is hidden oh Tim.

Tim: Quite.

Tim
Tol Eressea

Jun 8 2012, 11:14pm

Post #178 of 189 (580 views)
Shortcut
Keep your shirt on [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Laugh

* sigh *

Murdered by pirates is good...

King Arthur: You know much that is hidden oh Tim.

Tim: Quite.

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Jun 8 2012, 11:22pm

Post #179 of 189 (590 views)
Shortcut
Sonny, true love [In reply to] Can't Post

is the greatest thing in the world... except for a nice MLT -- mutton, lettuce and tomato sandwich, where the mutton is nice and lean and the tomato is ripe...

Now I'm getting a case of the vapours!

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on Jun 8 2012, 11:22pm)

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Jun 8 2012, 11:25pm

Post #180 of 189 (575 views)
Shortcut
OHHH COME ON...who doesn't love the Princess Bride? [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Jun 9 2012, 12:43am

Post #181 of 189 (564 views)
Shortcut
Why so? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Iīm all for a little flirting and seducing. I like my characters to be of flesh and blood and that includes lusting for a gorgeous elven lady like Tauriel. If it is something I have a difficulty with in Tolkienīs books it would be that they seem like very asexual characters. Maybe a Christian guy like Tolkien had a problem with our sexual urges or he just was inept to properly write about it, I still think it is an important cinematic ingredient that would make the characters more realistic and likable.

I found LOTR to focus more on the story, characters, and drama. It didn't need sex. There is nothing dramatic or intriguing about sex. Everything in LOTR was dramaric and intriguing. I think Tolkien was focused more on that, rather than people hooking up. Besides, as some have said, Tolkien came from a time when love was valued over sex. It's harder to understand that way of thinking today with MTV addled Jersey Shore brains. A good example of this is actually during The Hobbit previews, when Galadriel brushed Gandalf's hair from his face. Everyone was all "OMG they're in luuurrrrvvvve!" Uh no.

"It's okay, I feel like getting up and screaming every time you walk into a room." -Lestrade, Sherlock S2,ep3.

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Jun 9 2012, 12:48am

Post #182 of 189 (553 views)
Shortcut
Iam just of the mind set [In reply to] Can't Post

that the two cultures of dwarfs and elves at this point in time there was no love of any kind between the two races, if i remember things were strained and not good between them. Hence why Thranduil imprisons the dwarfs without a second thought about it and is rude and short with them... I just am still hoping it is a big joke or misunderstanding and there will be no romance in the Hobbit films at all.Wink

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Jun 9 2012, 12:50am

Post #183 of 189 (558 views)
Shortcut
Reminds one of the backdrop to Tristan and Isolde or [In reply to] Can't Post

Romeo and Juliet, no?

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on Jun 9 2012, 12:53am)

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Jun 9 2012, 12:55am

Post #184 of 189 (545 views)
Shortcut
Very riminicent [In reply to] Can't Post

but I still really don't care for the whole idea... I was never much of a fan of Romeo and Juliet if its kept in the Gimli adoration context i can at least see it vomit and move on but anything further is pushing it IMO

easterlingchief1
Rivendell

Jun 9 2012, 3:43am

Post #185 of 189 (569 views)
Shortcut
This has been said before... [In reply to] Can't Post

But I wouldn't too ,much about this whole Kauriel thing. Unless there's a shot in a trailer of them kissing or doing something else romantic, I get the feeling it'll be, if it makes the final cut of the film, very minor.

Danielos
Rohan

Jun 9 2012, 6:42am

Post #186 of 189 (591 views)
Shortcut
"Sorsha, your touch is worth a hundred thousand deaths" [In reply to] Can't Post

It doesnīt have to be that graphic or risque, really. "Empire Strikes Back" and "Willow" had very innocent but still cute and engaging flirting and seducing. I mean, I suppose the races of Middle Earth procreates the same way we do, so it would only be natural that 13 (single?) male dwarves on a long adventure are lusting for possible romances with attractive females on the way.

dormouse
Half-elven

Jun 9 2012, 7:38am

Post #187 of 189 (533 views)
Shortcut
Can't tell from the screen if you're replying to my post.... [In reply to] Can't Post

... or sinister's, but I agree with you completely on the film treatment of Aragorn and Arwen. It's beautifully done and it is also Tolkien - from 'The Tale of...' rather than the main text. It was just the kissing scene at the coronation took me completely by surprise when I first saw it because it was a very modern take on things.

I'm used to the scene now so the surprise has long-since worn off. But it still makes me smile that in all the very outspoken criticisms I've read, where people point out that this or that scene isn't in keeping with the books, no one ever references Aragorn and Arwen's reunion. For me it's one of the most un-Tolkien-ish things in the whole adaptation, though I don't object to it at all.

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Jun 9 2012, 11:25am

Post #188 of 189 (518 views)
Shortcut
Oh dormouse... [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile no, I borrowed a line from Princess Bride in reaction to Sinister's post. Seemed appropriate.

Your comment made much sense to me... it was rather an nonTolkienesque moment you describe... I agree with you. Still, I wouldn't have it any other way at this point.

dormouse
Half-elven

Jun 9 2012, 12:06pm

Post #189 of 189 (702 views)
Shortcut
I don't think I would, either... [In reply to] Can't Post

I suppose that's a perfect illustration of the difference between the films and the books!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.