Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: TORn Moots & Other Events:
Come Moot with Gandalf in the Twin Cities, Minnesota : June 15-17

Magpie
Immortal

Jun 5 2012, 12:57pm

Post #1 of 9 (540 views)
Shortcut
Come Moot with Gandalf in the Twin Cities, Minnesota : June 15-17 Can't Post

After Gandalf leaves gramma's area, he's coming to the Land of 10,000 lakes.

We probably can't have him stray too far from the Twin Cities but there should time for him to visit more than a few places in the Twin Cities so let's start brainstorming. And there are plans to have him travel south a ways on one of those days so if you're in the area of Frost MN, there is hope we could visit you while we stop off there.

Plans are forming now so let me know, asap, if you're interested. Replying here, by PM or by email (address in profile) is okay. Planning is taking place by email since most of the people who signed up in this area are not, to my knowledge, members of the message boards.

LOTR soundtrack website
magpie avatar gallery ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 5 2012, 11:01pm

Post #2 of 9 (278 views)
Shortcut
*twitch* How I wish I could be there! :D // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

Magpie
Immortal

Jun 13 2012, 12:08am

Post #3 of 9 (312 views)
Shortcut
Gandalf has arrived in the Land of Lakes [In reply to] Can't Post

Email me if you want to join the party. (email address in profile)

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Magpie
Immortal

Jun 15 2012, 3:56pm

Post #4 of 9 (263 views)
Shortcut
Saturday visits to Walker Sculpture Gardens and Minnehaha Falls [In reply to] Can't Post

Just in case someone is lurking out there, reading moot threads, and thinking... I might want to join those people!

I hope to tweet locations and plans while we're out and about.
You can follow progress here : https://twitter.com/#!/AMagpiesNest

(reply here, PM or email me if you want more specific plans for tomorrow)

There are fuzzy plans afoot for today. You can watch Twitter if you want to know more.

Magpie
Immortal

Jun 16 2012, 12:19am

Post #5 of 9 (271 views)
Shortcut
Day 1 report [In reply to] Can't Post

Denise Y and I joined up and visited a number of Minneapolis locations.

We started at the acclaimed Guthrie Theater which has a balcony that thrusts out and overlooks the Mississippi River with good views of the St. Anthony Falls, Lock and Dam #1, the (perhaps original?) Pillsbury and Gold Medal Mill sites (powered by the river and St. Anthony Falls), the old Stone Arch Bridge, and the 35W bridge which is the replacement for the one that fell down a few years back.

Denise, who was taking the photos - I was the poser ;-) - remarked that the Gold Medal structure looked like a castle. It was complete with a man on a ladder... whispers of Uruk-hai on siege ladders?

From there, we went to the Walker Sculpture Gardens where the famed Spoonbridge and Cherry reside. We'll visit that tomorrow with different people.

Then it was on to the Mall of America where we got shots of Gandalf at Nickelodeon Universal Indoor Park and the giant Lego creations at Legoland

(none of those photos are mine or were taken today)

When we went into the Mall of America, I took Gandalf out of all his packing so we wouldn't have the box and styrofoam laying around on the floor. So I got a few looks as we walked around. On my way back to the car, I went through Macy's and past the cosmetics counter will all the lovely women in white lab coats waiting to make us all beautiful. One of them looked hard at the figure which I was carrying with my arm extended down. She said, "Dumbledore". I just raised him up so she could get a better look and all of sudden she perked up and said, "No... Gandalf." I smiled and started to walk on. She said, "I would watch those all day with you... any time." I think she was indicating how strong of a fan she was. Then, as I got a little further away, she shouted, "Gandalf the Grey!" and I turned back to smile at her. It was a fun geeky moment.

In Minnesota, people kind of traditionally keep to themselves. I can remember one day a decade or two back, when I had been on my feet all day at my retail job. I was taking the bus home during rush hour and it was just packed to the brim with people. I was exhausted but had managed to get a window seat. The bus was stopped as was a van near me. I was slumped against the window looking at the van and thought, "Golly that driver is hairy." and then, "He's so hairy he looks like an ape." and then... "He is an ape!" An ape was driving the van. (or, we can presume, a man in an ape costume was driving the van.) I thought this was so hilarious I started laughing and I was so tired I started laughing a lot and laughing loud. I looked around me at all the people on the bus because I wanted to say, "Hey look... an ape is driving a bus."

Not one person on that packed bus was looking at me. I was breaking Minnesota protocol by making myself conspicuous. And that made me laugh harder. Those poor people. I'm sure I made them very uncomfortable.

I like to think Minnesota has loosened up the further we get from our Scandinavian and German roots and the more immigrants (from other states and other countries) make their home here. But you can still get whiffs of that 'Don't look at me or talk to me' vibe.

Magpie
Immortal

Jun 18 2012, 1:40am

Post #6 of 9 (285 views)
Shortcut
Day 2 report [In reply to] Can't Post

Day 2 was supposed to be Saturday but it rained Sat morning so it was cancelled and that meet up rescheduled for after dinner on Sunday.

But first, the Mister and I drove down to Blue Earth to visit Jeanette and the Jolly Green Giant.

There and back, it was 5 hours in the car but pleasurable ones as I enjoy the open skies of the farmlands and the clouds were pretty impressive as a storm front moved in.

Once back in town, my son treated the Mister to a Father's Day dinner and then I was off to Minnehaha Falls to meet up with Kangi Ska and Mrs. Ska (sorry... do you have a nick?), Michael who isn't a member of the boards... yet, Ordinary Hobbit, Hobbit love, and Loves Horses.

The falls were roaring with all the recent rain we've got (one city south of us got 9 inches in one evening's storm) and there were lots of folks out. We got pictures at the falls, the Sioux Chief Little Crow Sculpture Mask and of the sculpture of Hiawatha and Minnehaha.

(none of those pictures I've linked to are mine or are from today)

A good time was had by all and the mosquitoes weren't biting us. As we left, the limo driver of a tricked out long stretch pink limo let us look inside! (maybe this one?)

Radhruin
Rohan

Jun 18 2012, 3:17am

Post #7 of 9 (236 views)
Shortcut
Is it bad that I didn't know [In reply to] Can't Post

that the Jolly Green Giant resided in Blue Earth? Sounds like a good time. Weather, as usual, is the wrench in most plans. Some rather impressive storms went through up here earlier, hopefully they burn out before they get down to your area. Radar doesn't look good though!

Wish I could have met up with you all at some point. You're lucky I didn't join you this weekend, as I would have tried to drag you over to St. Paul! Ha.

Magpie
Immortal

Jun 18 2012, 3:22am

Post #8 of 9 (288 views)
Shortcut
Ordinary Hobbit just proposed he take Gandalf to St. Paul. :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

...before shipping him out.

The weather vexed me but it worked out in the end. There's lightning outside the window at the moment. I think we're going to get something but it's hard to tell since the urban heat island affects the weather so much.

The valley of the Green Giant is actually in La Seuer. From what I can tell, Blue Earth put up a statue merely as a tourist attraction. I was a bit bummed not to get Gandalf to the biggest ball of twine in Minnesota.

And to Paul Bunyan.

I wish you could have been there. You would have enjoyed it. It was a jolly time.

(This post was edited by Magpie on Jun 18 2012, 3:22am)

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 18 2012, 1:02pm

Post #9 of 9 (366 views)
Shortcut
Wonderful! [In reply to] Can't Post

Sounds like Fandalf had fun in the land of 10,000 lakes. Look forward to showing him around the Windy City!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.