Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Any Polish TORners whether by blood or by feeling? Post here to talk about Polska! Any links to Poland!?:
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

Jun 2 2012, 10:08am

Post #1 of 28 (486 views)
Shortcut
Any Polish TORners whether by blood or by feeling? Post here to talk about Polska! Any links to Poland!?: Can't Post

Czesc, witajcie kochani TORn-ludzie!

Hey people, just was dying to post an off topic Polish talk thread, even it might be a bit cheesy LOL Tongue

I was curious to find out how many of us have any links of any sort Cool. I've already got to know one wonderful TORner who is a Pole by love of the country haha Tongue. I'm half Polish, and I feel greatly connected to my Polish roots. I go every year practically, and visit all my family there and go to lots fo places throughout that beloved country!

So, does anyone have any Polish links whatsoever?

If so, what do they feel about their Polish links, what do they like/dislike (heaven forbid) about the country!

If you have no Polish connection, but have visited Poland before, -where- have you been!? Warszawa, Kraków, Gdansk, the Tatry mountains, the Bialowieze Eastern Forests?

If you've never been but have any thoughts about the country, the people, culture etc., what are they?

Serdecznie z wami!,

Xanaseb

Catch it, catch it, catch it! Dropped it... ...
Join us over at Barliman's chat all day, any day!

(This post was edited by Xanaseb on Jun 2 2012, 10:09am)

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

Jun 2 2012, 10:18am

Post #2 of 28 (406 views)
Shortcut
So... more about me! I'm half Polish on my Mum's side, she's from Czestochowa, born in Kraków.... [In reply to] Can't Post

...hmm what sucks is the lack of alt-code letters on TORn... I cant do loads of Polish sounds... but oh vell Tongue

and most of my family live in the south and central of Poland. Kraków, Koszyce (a small village 40 mins from the city), Czestochowa, Dabrowa Górnicza, Lodz, Sieradz, Warszawa, Deblin and Szczecin.

My favourite places in Poland have to be firstly Kraków, I love its deep history and lively culture. The forest of Bialowieze was spell bounding for me, but nothing personally beats the Tatry mountains of the south.

Favourite Polish food: All Polish soups I adore!! Best Polish soup... hmmm..... either Ogórkowa (sour cucumber soup) or Zurek (like a sour soup made with fermented rye thing with meat and veg.)

I can speak -almost- fluently in Polish, but not completely... I understand everything, but putting everything to words is mightily difficult for such a tough language! I can read and write too :D

I have many Polish friends here in the UK, in University and back at home in Bournemouth. Polish communities are thriving, with Polish shops being everywhere (thank goodness :P ). How's the Polish spirit in North America or where you are going?

(This post was edited by Xanaseb on Jun 2 2012, 10:18am)

DanielLB
Immortal

Jun 2 2012, 11:54am

Post #3 of 28 (404 views)
Shortcut
No connections to Poland whatsoever .... but .... [In reply to] Can't Post

I did go on a history trip there (can that count?) Was a GCSE history trip around Germany, Austria and Poland. We stayed in Kraków for several nights - lovely, lovely place. Would visit again one day! We also went to Auschwitz and a couple of other places (their names escape my mind at the moment). Although it was a school trip it was very enjoyable, and seemed like a great place. Would like to go back again to see more of the country!

One thing I remember, and still don't know the answer to, is why the bottom half of trees across Poland are painted white?! Is there a reason? Laugh

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

Jun 2 2012, 1:21pm

Post #4 of 28 (379 views)
Shortcut
Awesome, it counts of course :D. apparently that paint stuff is an insectiside... stops the crawlers from eating the bark or summat. // [In reply to] Can't Post

DanielLB
Immortal

Jun 2 2012, 1:27pm

Post #5 of 28 (372 views)
Shortcut
I see! [In reply to] Can't Post

That makes more sense then what I thought - I thought it was to stop people driving into them in the dark BlushSly

dormouse
Half-elven

Jun 2 2012, 5:21pm

Post #6 of 28 (380 views)
Shortcut
Never been to Poland [In reply to] Can't Post

... flown over it once, that's all. But I've always wanted to see Krakow - as a kid I saw a Polish fairy tale on TV -the film was Polish, dubbed in English, and I loved the sound of Krakow.

But I wondered - I'm half-andhalf too - my Dad was Dutch. Unlike you, I identify more with the country I've grown up in - I feel English even though my name's Dutch and I've spent a lifetime explaining it. But like you I identify by sympathy with my Mum's nationality rather than my Dad's. Pattern or coincidence? Do you think kids with parents of different nationality are more likely to feel drawn to their mother's country?

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

Jun 2 2012, 6:50pm

Post #7 of 28 (368 views)
Shortcut
That's a fascinating theory :D :D . I've seen it else where too... but there are exceptions as well :) [In reply to] Can't Post

Cool

just wanting more people to reveal themselves on this thread... >_>..... are there any TORn Poles is the question haha...

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Jun 2 2012, 7:59pm

Post #8 of 28 (404 views)
Shortcut
*hand shoots up* Me! Me! [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, my dad was Polish, although he and both his parents were born in America. But our ancestors came from Ligota Toszecka, near Toszek, upper Silesia, Poland, with their Catholic priest to start a settlement and build a Catholic church in Texas. They landed in Galveston, TX, after 55 days at sea, in 1854. They met up with the priest in San Antonio, who then took them to the area he had in mind, on the banks of the San Antonio River, where they established Panna Maria, the oldest Polish settlement in the US. It's still there.

Unfortunately, my father died when I was 9, so most of the culture went with him. He and my mother married late in life, she was 41 and he was 54, so my mother didn't really know a lot of the kinfolks. But we are related to the majority of folks with Polish surnames in my home county in TX. Plus the majority of Polish people in south Texas are related to us. Crazy

My father's first language was Polish, and that is what was spoken in the home. He used to tell us kids a little sing-song rhyme in Polish about a little mouse who makes cream or something, and draw a circle in the palm of our hands when he said it. Then, at one point of the story, the mouse runs away and he would tickle our chins. I used to be able to say it in Polish but I've forgotten it all now. Is anyone else familiar with it?

And suddenly the Tornadoes saw afar off a greenlight, as it were a cloud with a living heart of flame;
and they knew that this was no vision only, but that PJ had made a new thing: The Hobbit, the Film that Is.

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Jun 2 2012, 9:32pm

Post #9 of 28 (369 views)
Shortcut
Interesting [In reply to] Can't Post

My surname is English but was the result of my grandfather legally changing his Polish name in the late 30s. He said he did it because he could not find work in Canada at the time.

Strange thing is he was born in Vienna and lived there for much of his childhood. So technically he was Austrian before immigrating to Canada with his mostly Polish family. He became a citizen of Canada almost right away. Supposedly he spent quite a lot of time at the opera in his youth -- but of course all that was over when his family (fled?) to Canada.

Anyway because my surname is quite English I've spent a lifetime explaining to others that I am not English, nor am I related to any of the English people they know who share my last name.

To your question dormouse... hmm my mother's side was French and Native North American (which is about as Canadian as you can get some would say). I feel drawn to the away side, my dad's side... the Scottish and Eastern European bits.

To the thread in general, I am part Polish (3rd generation Canadian with lots of other strands mixed in). Apart from my love of perogies, Kielbasa, borsht, sauerkraut, cabbage rolls, and dill pickles -- all served with eggs please -- what Pole in me there remains is quite diluted.

I would love to go to Poland someday... But I've talked about this here before I think.

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Jun 2 2012, 10:10pm

Post #10 of 28 (363 views)
Shortcut
Kids are half Polish [In reply to] Can't Post

(all my husbands "fault"Smile)

I've learned a very few words here and there; unfortunately the family moved here 3-4 generations ago, and although some of the customs survive, the language has not. :(

Kruschiki is to die for (my husband's Grandmother would make them for Easter, but I never got to taste them myself).

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Jun 2 2012, 10:29pm

Post #11 of 28 (349 views)
Shortcut
My Mom-in-law used to sing [In reply to] Can't Post

this to my kids, while she did sort of a Patty-Cake thing with their hands. She doesn't live nearby, but I will try to remeber to ask her next time we visit if she knows the "mouse" song. Hopefully someone on here will know!

Kosi kosi Ƃapci
(Clap, Clap, Little Hands)
Hand Clapping Song

(Polish)
Kosi kosi Ƃapci,
pojedziem do babci.
Babcia da nam mleczka,
a dziadzius pierniczka.

(English)
Clap, clap, little hands,
We will go to Grandma's.
Granny will give us milk,
And Grandpa a gingerbread cookie.

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

Jun 2 2012, 11:51pm

Post #12 of 28 (353 views)
Shortcut
Oh my goodness that is an amazing connection! Witaj :) (welcome) [In reply to] Can't Post

SmileShocked

And yes I know it!!.... but I've forgotten!!! CrazyCrazyFrown. I tell you what, I'll phone my mum soon to find out :D she'll know :)

but I know it definitely haha!

If you used to say it in Polish it must have involved a "Myszka" (Mishka) --> Mouse. and "Śmietana" (Shmyetana) --> cream and maybe counting to three or something, as I remember that for some reason: "Ras, Dwa Trzy" (Ras, Dva, Tshe) ---> One, two, Three

Something like that :D

Laketown guy: What have the dwarves -ever- done for us?

Bard: The aqueduct!

Laketown guy: Piss off! We're not from Dale

(This post was edited by Xanaseb on Jun 2 2012, 11:54pm)

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

Jun 3 2012, 12:10am

Post #13 of 28 (344 views)
Shortcut
Mannnn I've only once had Kruszczyki, as they're quite a regional speciality, and unfortunately not the region where my family's from lol:D. And great to hear you married a Pole ! ;) [In reply to] Can't Post

CoolWink

and also, the clap clap song thing I remember when I was little too, but a different version, there are a looooads of variations to Kosi Kosi Lapci :D

here's a better translation of your one for you (for the sake of it)

Clap clap little hands,
We will go (Pojedziem is "I" technically, so Jedziemy is "we") to Grandma's,
Granny will give us milk,
and Grandpa a honey-ginger mini-cake Tongue

Pierniks are crazzily nice :D, nothing like ginger-bread; soft and moist (should be), spicy and with raisins mmmmmmmm. My mum makes THE BEST ones ever :D :D

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

Jun 3 2012, 12:41am

Post #14 of 28 (359 views)
Shortcut
Awesome Sir Dennis :) I don't have a Polish surname either.. though my parents did consider giving us double-barrelled surnames... but maybe I'll change my surname when I'm able hehe [In reply to] Can't Post

I love my Polish roots that much Tongue

And brilliant to hear your background, your grandfather sounded like quite a person!, there were Poles all over Europe, so being in Vienna's not too surprising, though cool Smile

mmmmmm just thinking about those dishes makes me drool haha. Buuuuuuuuut could you learn the proper Polish names for those foods please!! I'm being very finnicky here, but it does bug me occasionally when people confuse those non-Polish foods for Polish LOLOL... (just me being silly)

Borsht --> Barszcz Sauerkraut --> Kapusta Kwaszona Cabbage rolls ---> Golabki (Gowohmbki) is that what you mean?? do they have rice and meat inside? and eaten with tomato sauce? dill pickles --> <insert food> Kiszone? Cucumbers, peppers, mushrooms that are soured in brine with dill and other stuff too :) ?

:D

Oh and pleeeease please take the time (and money hehe) to go to Poland :D :D you'll wont regret it at all!.

(This post was edited by Xanaseb on Jun 3 2012, 12:44am)

dormouse
Half-elven

Jun 3 2012, 9:07am

Post #15 of 28 (338 views)
Shortcut
Poland was partitioned in the 19th century [In reply to] Can't Post

- one part ruled by Austria, one by Russia, one by Prussia, so perhaps your grandfather's family came from the Austrian part, and it would have been quite natural for them to move to Vienna or anywhere else in the empire for work or whatever. Technically they would have been Austrians, or Austrian Poles, though I don't suppose they liked that very much.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Jun 3 2012, 12:06pm

Post #16 of 28 (342 views)
Shortcut
I only have one very tenuous connection. [In reply to] Can't Post

My husband and I met doing international folk dancing back in 1975, and we've been dancing ever since. We did a lot of dances from all over the world at our wedding reception, and this one has always been one of our favorites: Ada's Kujawiak. It's *such* a romantic dance :-)

This, apparently, is Ada.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

Jun 3 2012, 12:58pm

Post #17 of 28 (315 views)
Shortcut
That's a wonderful little story :D and Polish dancing ftw ! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Starling
Half-elven

Jun 3 2012, 9:57pm

Post #18 of 28 (310 views)
Shortcut
Do rumours count? [In reply to] Can't Post

My background is Swedish / Scottish / German / English. There is a persistent rumour, however, of a secret Polish connection. So maybe I can join your TORn Polish society. Cool

Eruonen
Half-elven

Jun 3 2012, 10:13pm

Post #19 of 28 (341 views)
Shortcut
Not Polish but here is a Polish Tolkien site that I have used via [In reply to] Can't Post

Google translate:

http://www.elendilion.pl/

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

Jun 4 2012, 12:10am

Post #20 of 28 (305 views)
Shortcut
Oooooh awesome I shall check out ! :D looots of Polish Tolkien fans out there so hehe :D [In reply to] Can't Post

but my level of Polish probably isn't advanced enough sadly Frown

Eruonen
Half-elven

Jun 4 2012, 1:04am

Post #21 of 28 (326 views)
Shortcut
Google translate or similar are helpful, if imperfect. [In reply to] Can't Post

I cut and paste text and the result is good enough for understanding.

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Jun 4 2012, 2:03am

Post #22 of 28 (309 views)
Shortcut
*Waves* Polish in my heart:) [In reply to] Can't Post

I have no Polish blood that I know of, but I'm Polish by feeling! I spent almost two years in the small town of Myslenice, just outside of Krakow, teaching English as a foreign language. And in that time, I developed a stronger attachment to Myslenice/Krakow than I've ever had for my own hometown. Nothing against where I live now, it's just that there was an almost instant feeling of connection with Krakow and with Poland in general. If there is such a thing as reincarnation, then I was Polish in my previous life.Smile
I've been so gaga over Poland since then that I drive my friends and family nuts with, "In Poland..." stories.Laugh I'm so glad to have met Xanaseb here in TORn-land, he's as gaga (actually more so, and rightfully so) as I am. Smile *Waving at Xanaseb* Laugh

I used to get my Poland fixes by going to travel sites and answering questions about Krakow which I knew like the back of my hand. However, time passes and my memory isn't as clear, and Krakow has grown and changed (it's been "discovered") so I don't feel like I have as much to contribute.Frown But I would encourage anyone who has ever thought about going to Poland to go for it!

In addition to Krakow, I visited Warsaw, Wroclaw, Gdansk, Sopot, Zakopane (and other small towns in southern Poland), and the Tatry Mountains. I really wish I had been able to visit more regions...maybe somedayEvil

(This post was edited by zarabia on Jun 4 2012, 2:10am)

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Jun 4 2012, 2:07am

Post #23 of 28 (300 views)
Shortcut
I've heard of Panna Maria in Texas! [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think we have any particular Polish settlement here in Oklahoma, but there are Czech towns like Prague which is pronounced Prayg around hereLaugh

weaver
Half-elven

Jun 4 2012, 4:53am

Post #24 of 28 (306 views)
Shortcut
I know some great Polish "special" words! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm from Polish descent on my mom's side -- my grandfather was born there -- though by the time I showed up, my family had lost most of their connection to the country other than food and some holiday customs.

When we were kids, though, my mom had a few "special" words she used when she was really mad...she want to Polish school as a kid, and spoke it with her grandfather, but the only words she ever used around us were some swear words -- I always thought that was a pretty interesting way to use some bad language her kids when she felt the need for it!

I also found out in recent years that a branch of my Polish family settled in Brazil...that was one of the places other than the US that Poles emigrated to, I guess. My oldest son ended up befriending a guy in high school who had a father from Brazil, and it turned out that his Dad grew up in the area where many Poles settled. So they might be long-lost Polish brothers of a sort.

I would love to visit Poland some year -- as well as the Ukraine, where my Dad's family came from. But I would have to win the lottery first, which is very unlikely since I never play it!

Thanks for the post, interesting to see the connections posted here!

Weaver

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

Jun 4 2012, 11:43am

Post #25 of 28 (285 views)
Shortcut
*Waves back* aw shucks ;) :D [In reply to] Can't Post

you must go back zarabia! CoolSmileCoolWink

and *facepalm* @ "Prayg" LOL....

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.