Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Why does Smeagol talk the way he does?

aruman
Rivendell

May 31 2012, 3:14am

Views: 1390
Shortcut
Why does Smeagol talk the way he does? Can't Post

I'm referring to how he speaks to Deagol...calling him "My love," and referring to himself as "us." I think we would all expect anyone that bore the ring for so long to be rather peculiar, but this was before he possessed it. I don't recall any other character in Tolkien's works speaking in this manner.

One thing, it sure is creepy and always made Gollum even scarier to me.

Anyone know/care to speculate on why he spoke in this manner?

In the movies Elrond, Denethor, Haldir, Galadriel, and Celeborn stink.

Subject User Time
Why does Smeagol talk the way he does? aruman Send a private message to aruman May 31 2012, 3:14am
    possibly regional dialect Elskar Send a private message to Elskar May 31 2012, 3:56am
        Yup. geordie Send a private message to geordie May 31 2012, 4:39pm
            Precious Yngwulff Send a private message to Yngwulff Jun 2 2012, 9:26pm
                IT's...a...Riddle as Only JRRT could... Bombadil Send a private message to Bombadil Jun 3 2012, 1:03am
                But when Gollum first called the Ring 'precious' sador Send a private message to sador Jun 3 2012, 6:42am
                    Somehow... Morthoron Send a private message to Morthoron Jun 10 2012, 10:14pm
                        A few reasons that I see CuriousG Send a private message to CuriousG Jun 11 2012, 5:16pm
                            Perhaps Gollum was somewhat insane even before he had the Ring? GothmogTheBalrog Send a private message to GothmogTheBalrog Jun 16 2012, 8:42pm
                        Thank you! sador Send a private message to sador Jun 11 2012, 8:43pm
    squire once wrote a fine essay about it sador Send a private message to sador May 31 2012, 8:48am
        The only thing I could find was this? DanielLB Send a private message to DanielLB May 31 2012, 8:54am
            That was the original post; then the next year I rewrote it for the home page squire Send a private message to squire May 31 2012, 10:43am
                Thanks squire DanielLB Send a private message to DanielLB May 31 2012, 10:45am
                That's very interesting, squire dormouse Send a private message to dormouse May 31 2012, 3:26pm
                    Yup! geordie Send a private message to geordie May 31 2012, 4:34pm
    Smeagol doesn't refer to himself as 'us', I don't think... dormouse Send a private message to dormouse May 31 2012, 9:15am

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.