Commonly misused phrases
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next page Last page  View All

SirDennisC
Half-elven

May 28 2012, 4:16am

Post #176 of 187 (4097 views)
Shortcut
Ha! much better than impactful... [In reply to] Can't Post

though it has a ring of a type of retentiveness -- the number two cause of difficult exchanges -- inciteful is a much better word for such discussions.

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on May 28 2012, 4:22am)

Starling
Half-elven

May 28 2012, 7:39am

Post #177 of 187 (4097 views)
Shortcut
One day [In reply to] Can't Post

Now it's 7 degrees and hailing. Hot on the heels of a Nor' Wester, nearly always comes a freezing Southerly. It's four seasons in one day round these parts. Crazy

DanielLB
Immortal

May 28 2012, 4:20pm

Post #178 of 187 (4036 views)
Shortcut
Another strange pronunciation [In reply to] Can't Post

I use to live in East Anglia (UK) and not far from a place called: Wymondham.

It still boogles me today how it is pronounced!

sherlock
Gondor

May 28 2012, 5:31pm

Post #179 of 187 (4158 views)
Shortcut
I liked [In reply to] Can't Post

Word Perfect, too. I haven't used it in while but I did 25 years ago when I was a secretary at a hospital. I had to work with documents that other people had created with Word Perfect who didn't know how to use it. The reveal codes feature was really handy for that. I work with numbers & spreadsheets now but I kind of miss some aspects of what I used to do.

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

May 28 2012, 7:18pm

Post #180 of 187 (3971 views)
Shortcut
Odd. *We* got hail yesterday evening out of the northwest. No A/C for folks without power here.// [In reply to] Can't Post

NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd
NARF: NWtS Chapter Member since June 17,2011

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 28 2012, 10:02pm

Post #181 of 187 (4076 views)
Shortcut
*takes a listen on Forvo* [In reply to] Can't Post

Yep, I thought they'd pronounce "Wymondham" like "Windom".

But that's because I grew up around Worcester (Mass.), which most locals pronounce "Wuster" - that first vowel is a sort of cross between "uh" and "oo"; if you listen to the Forvo samples, the second person must be from Maine. Tongue

And it's right next to Leicester ("Lester").

The most unusual place-name I think I've encountered is Cholmondeley ("Chumlee").

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

Longbottom Leaf
Lorien

May 28 2012, 11:22pm

Post #182 of 187 (5218 views)
Shortcut
Thanks Kiwifan! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm sure I will never grow weary of TORN as long as good folks like yourself are gathered here!

The best weed in the southfarthing!

DanielLB
Immortal

May 29 2012, 7:08am

Post #183 of 187 (4055 views)
Shortcut
Spot on there [In reply to] Can't Post

For ages I just assumed it was literally pronounced Wy-mond-ham. Get rid of all those extra letters!! Wink

Cholmondeley certainly is more unusual that Wymondham. They must be fed up with people saying it wrong Crazy

sherlock
Gondor

May 29 2012, 10:06am

Post #184 of 187 (4072 views)
Shortcut
I have a friend who's from Sheffield [In reply to] Can't Post

& she uses love a lot. Once she called me a cheeky monkey which I thought was really cool - describes me perfectly!

geordie
Tol Eressea

May 29 2012, 12:25pm

Post #185 of 187 (4018 views)
Shortcut
I pronounce it Windam (or actually Windham) [In reply to] Can't Post

Try Bicester. Or Cirencester. Both towns are in Gloucestershire. Come to think of it, try to say Gloucestershire. It's a lot easier then remembering how to spell it!

Smile

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 30 2012, 10:26am

Post #186 of 187 (4160 views)
Shortcut
Gloucestershire? [In reply to] Can't Post

That's easy enough to pronounce, just like Worcestershire! (Gloucester being only a few miles away from Worcester...Massachusetts did end up with a lot of those place-names.)

I remember reading once that the "cester" in a town name indicates that a castle had been built there.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

Arandiel
Grey Havens

May 31 2012, 4:35am

Post #187 of 187 (4069 views)
Shortcut
Okay, I feel qualified to speak to that one [In reply to] Can't Post

It's a formal phrase, one that I believe originates in the world of politics. A person who can speak to something is one who has some authority or expertise on the matter, or will give evidence or commentary on it. Example: An expert witness will speak to the merits of a pending piece of legislation. It's a turn of phrase that makes me just a tiny bit nostalgic for my days as a legislative aide!

Walk to Rivendell: There and Back Again Challenge - getting thirteen rowdy Dwarves, one grumpy Wizard, and a beleaguered Hobbit from Bag End to the Lonely Mountain by December 2012; and that same much enriched Hobbit back to Bag End by December 2013

Join us, Thursdays on Main!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.