Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Commonly misused phrases
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next page Last page  View All

geordie
Tol Eressea

May 25 2012, 8:42pm

Post #126 of 187 (1739 views)
Shortcut
Tolkien was not blameless - [In reply to] Can't Post

- I was listening to a taped interview of his today. He pronounced 'mythology' as my-thology, and 'myth' as 'mithe'. Odd. And of course the plural of dwarf is dwarfs.

Smile

imin
Valinor

May 25 2012, 10:04pm

Post #127 of 187 (1718 views)
Shortcut
I posted that just a page ago in the thread? lol/ [In reply to] Can't Post

kiwifan
Rohan

May 25 2012, 10:14pm

Post #128 of 187 (1805 views)
Shortcut
But at least these are legitimate spellings in American English [In reply to] Can't Post

and not blatant misuses of language by people who clearly didn't think about, or didn't even know, what the words they've written actually mean. What really pains me, literally, the way being forced to listen to wrong notes makes a musician flinch, is when people in a position of teaching language/literature, commit really heinous crimes of language abuse. I remember reading a really bad one about half a year ago:

'... we were a boat askance in the middle of the Atlantic'.

Ouch, that really hurt. Askance??? I even checked my Oxford Thesaurus of English in case I might be wrong, but no. How could anyone confuse 'askance' with 'adrift'? And a highschool literature teacher at that? I was so tempted to fire off a hasty post but realised it wouldn't be any use as the perpetrator of this outrage was no longer among the living, and therefore desisted. However, I did wonder whether anyone else had noticed it at all!

'Goodness gracious, you really are a messie!' 'Oh no, I'm not, these are all just mathoms...'

(This post was edited by kiwifan on May 25 2012, 10:17pm)

DanielLB
Immortal

May 25 2012, 11:12pm

Post #129 of 187 (1661 views)
Shortcut
Askance [In reply to] Can't Post

Askance means to dissaprove doesn't it? How on earth did they mix that up with adrift?! That is very strange Cool

Voting has begun for "The Lord of the Rings Character Elimination Game"

Make sure you vote for your favourite characters!

DanielLB
Immortal

May 25 2012, 11:14pm

Post #130 of 187 (1653 views)
Shortcut
Pronunciation [In reply to] Can't Post

At school I had been taught to say it has "fon". Needless to say, I was quickly ridiculed at university and soon learned to pronounce it as "fern". Blush

Starling
Half-elven

May 25 2012, 11:17pm

Post #131 of 187 (1659 views)
Shortcut
Just do what we do here in NZ and say [In reply to] Can't Post

'Nor' Wester'. That's much easier to pronounce. Wink

DanielLB
Immortal

May 25 2012, 11:20pm

Post #132 of 187 (1699 views)
Shortcut
I've managed to fit that into my literature review ;-) [In reply to] Can't Post

Also known as the zonda (South American Andes) and the berg wind (South Africa)!

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

May 25 2012, 11:34pm

Post #133 of 187 (1725 views)
Shortcut
Oh. LOL sorry [In reply to] Can't Post

me no readz the whole thredz BlushEvil

Catch it, catch it, catch it! Dropped it... ...
Join us over at Barliman's chat all day, any day!

Join the Lord of the Rings Character Elimination game! Vouch for your favourite -minor- book and film character so that they can enter the -major- characters level!

Starling
Half-elven

May 26 2012, 12:12am

Post #134 of 187 (1704 views)
Shortcut
And also known as [In reply to] Can't Post

"that *%*#@!!! Nor' wester" as my Mum called it. Laugh

Your research sounds fascinating. I would love to read it when it's all done.

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

May 26 2012, 12:32am

Post #135 of 187 (1706 views)
Shortcut
Nope [In reply to] Can't Post

Only if you speak it with a British or Australian accept and leave off the consonant ('h') sound ("'otel), mate.

Evil

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

May 26 2012, 12:53am

Post #136 of 187 (1656 views)
Shortcut
Ha! [In reply to] Can't Post

I was just about to post that alternative name. :D

I haven't experienced that wind but going by the comments I've heard about it, I don't think I want to!

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 26 2012, 1:41am

Post #137 of 187 (1659 views)
Shortcut
"Fern"? [In reply to] Can't Post

To pronounce "föhn" properly, you've got to make the shape of "o" with your mouth, but say "ee" through it. That's an umlaut-o, also spelled "oe". And it does have the whisper of an "r" sound, but you're not really pronouncing an "r".

Just say it like you do schön in danke schön. Easy enough, right? Wink

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

DanielLB
Immortal

May 26 2012, 6:26am

Post #138 of 187 (1718 views)
Shortcut
If I ever discover anything new or interesting [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll be sure to let everyone know! I've only just started it really, long time to go yet Frown

DanielLB
Immortal

May 26 2012, 6:29am

Post #139 of 187 (1714 views)
Shortcut
You'll have to record it for me [In reply to] Can't Post

You have me sitting at my laptop trying to say foehn/föhn several ways!! Laugh

DanielLB
Immortal

May 26 2012, 6:29am

Post #140 of 187 (1774 views)
Shortcut
Anybody that says 'otel needs speech lessons ;-) / [In reply to] Can't Post

geordie
Tol Eressea

May 26 2012, 7:00am

Post #141 of 187 (1644 views)
Shortcut
I'm British - [In reply to] Can't Post

- actually, I'm English born and bred, and I don't drop my 'h's. Not many of us English folk do that; no more than Americans call each other 'pardner'. Smile

Mind you, I rarely use the phrase 'an historic event'. and hardly ever 'an hotel'. I think that would seem affected (in the proper sense of the word - that is, not 'effected' ) Wink Such usage is taught in 'posh' schools, not the sort of school I went to.

I think there's an historical reason for this usage. Another one involves the words 'which' and what'. I don't pronounce the 'h' in either of these words, but some educated folk I know do. I think it comes from way back; in Anglo-Saxon we have the word 'Hwaet' for example, in which the 'h' is sounded in front of the 'w'.

geordie
Tol Eressea

May 26 2012, 7:23am

Post #142 of 187 (1724 views)
Shortcut
I looked askance at that mis-usage [In reply to] Can't Post

- it's a Malapropism, isn't it? Named after Mrs Malaprop, a fictitious character famous for using the wrong words in an attempt to sound knowledgable, or well - educated. To give another example; some time ago during a bit of friendly banter on another site someone described me and another member as 'erstwhile members'. Kindly meant, no doubt. Smile I pointed out that 'erstwhile' means 'formerly' - so, the sentence meant that my friend and I were once members of that forum, but no longer. Turns out she'd meant 'esteemed', or possibly 'estimable'.

Another friend on that site; an American philologist studying over here in the UK, said that this piece of mis-usage is fairly common in the US. Seems odd to me; but then, as Tolkien once remarked (in an entirely different context) 'Perhaps the Americans would like them?' [ie, his paintings for TH]

'Odd folk'.

Smile

imin
Valinor

May 26 2012, 7:35am

Post #143 of 187 (1705 views)
Shortcut
You need to come to yorkshire then! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not originally from Yorkshire so i dont drop the h either so it did sound really strange to me that people did. literally all native sheffield folk do from my 6 years spent here. They also say love and duck to everyone which again the first couple of times a mature man says thanks love to you, its a little odd, haha.

But then im from cumbria where people say yan tan tethera for 123, lol.

DanielLB
Immortal

May 26 2012, 8:08am

Post #144 of 187 (1741 views)
Shortcut
Duck [In reply to] Can't Post

I think duck is common across the country. I know people down south (and not born up north) who say duck. Love is problem quite common everywhere as well Wink

Starling
Half-elven

May 26 2012, 9:10am

Post #145 of 187 (1713 views)
Shortcut
I am sure it will eventually arrive... [In reply to] Can't Post

...precisely when it means to. Cool

imin
Valinor

May 26 2012, 10:12am

Post #146 of 187 (1662 views)
Shortcut
not as common as one might think. [In reply to] Can't Post

Im not sure how often they say duck the people down south but its definitely part of the derbyshire dialect which i guess must have spread (had to look it up to make sure it wasnt just what locals have told me!), though i never heard it until i came south to sheffield.

As for love i have heard old women say it etc but its not used in quite the same way as it is in sheffield, which is by literally everyone! Again its just a part of sheffield's own dialect.

Both not a patch on cumbrian obviously, which has different dialects depending on which valley you are in! as in 6 to me is sethera but only a few miles away 6 is teezie! Anyone say inbred? haha (its ok im one of them!)

(This post was edited by imin on May 26 2012, 10:15am)

sherlock
Gondor

May 26 2012, 10:25am

Post #147 of 187 (1696 views)
Shortcut
This is interesting [In reply to] Can't Post

but as someone who knows the difference between their, there, & they're and all the other common mistakes but,doesn't always use the proper ones in their postings it can also be kind of annoying. No offense to the clever word police out there! My best friend is an editor & she loves this stuff! I also enjoy it and hope it will help me get it right in the future.Blush

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 26 2012, 12:07pm

Post #148 of 187 (1716 views)
Shortcut
"an historical reason"? [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

geordie
Tol Eressea

May 26 2012, 12:33pm

Post #149 of 187 (1693 views)
Shortcut
Exactly! [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile

DanielLB
Immortal

May 26 2012, 1:50pm

Post #150 of 187 (1674 views)
Shortcut
True [In reply to] Can't Post

It's probably not *that* common, but heard a couple of people say it Wink

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.