Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Commonly misused phrases
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next page Last page  View All

DanielLB
Immortal

May 24 2012, 2:56pm

Post #51 of 187 (1842 views)
Shortcut
Someone may be able to answer this [In reply to] Can't Post

When do you use oriented and orientated? Is orientated even a word (is it just orientation)?

I can never find a clear answer of the internet, and it frustrates me since I should know the difference because I use it often enough!

Voting has begun for "The Lord of the Rings Character Elimination Game"

Make sure you vote for your favourite characters!

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

May 24 2012, 2:59pm

Post #52 of 187 (1799 views)
Shortcut
To Be Honest, I Think... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Yes, there is nothing wrong with the sentence, but why would you not be honest?!

It is an attempt to emphasize candor so the reader knows it is not just empty, polite praise, or the reverse to cut more deeply. It is, however, considered just as redundant as prefixing "I think" to whatever you have to say about what you are thinking.

imin
Valinor

May 24 2012, 3:06pm

Post #53 of 187 (1809 views)
Shortcut
It doesnt make sense really does it? [In reply to] Can't Post

To start by saying to be honest. Does it mean the rest of the time someone is talking to you they are being dishonest? i think for me its more a saying especially as so many people use it that i know its basically lost any meaning.

Darkstone
Immortal

May 24 2012, 3:10pm

Post #54 of 187 (1867 views)
Shortcut
Isn't it a British/American thing? [In reply to] Can't Post

I understood that both mean the same, just that "oriented" was American, "orientated" was British. I do know back in the 1970s I heard British soldiers using the latter.

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.”

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

May 24 2012, 3:15pm

Post #55 of 187 (1820 views)
Shortcut
Hey now! [In reply to] Can't Post

Ice is no longer available in the drinks at the cafeterias at A&M.

The senior who knew the recipe graduated.

Laugh

And suddenly the Tornadoes saw afar off a greenlight, as it were a cloud with a living heart of flame;
and they knew that this was no vision only, but that PJ had made a new thing: The Hobbit, the Film that Is.

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

May 24 2012, 3:24pm

Post #56 of 187 (1830 views)
Shortcut
There's nothing wrong with our (American) spelling... [In reply to] Can't Post

It is simply different from your own.

A pet peeve, though, that I see here all of the time: to/too.

"Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them, as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house." - Aragorn

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

May 24 2012, 4:00pm

Post #57 of 187 (1824 views)
Shortcut
And what about the difference [In reply to] Can't Post

between priorize and prioritize? To me the latter just sounds wrong.

"There are some things that it is better to begin than to refuse, even though the end may be dark."

imin
Valinor

May 24 2012, 4:14pm

Post #58 of 187 (1768 views)
Shortcut
never heard anyone use the word priorize [In reply to] Can't Post

only ever heard prioritise/prioritize, and when i put priorize into google it automatically changed it to prioritize, lol. So i guess for me priorize sounds really foreign. Maybe another american vs british thing?

I forgot to mention i think they mean different things. Prioritize means expressing the importance of something, u are making it a priority. priorize is a derivative of prior i am guessing and so expresses precedence at least that is how i think of those two, but im sure someone will come along and tell you what they really mean, haha

(This post was edited by imin on May 24 2012, 4:19pm)

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

May 24 2012, 4:15pm

Post #59 of 187 (1728 views)
Shortcut
Prior... [In reply to] Can't Post

Priorize: To list?

Prioritize: To put in order of importance.

(This post was edited by JWPlatt on May 24 2012, 4:21pm)

RosieLass
Valinor

May 24 2012, 4:21pm

Post #60 of 187 (1816 views)
Shortcut
Orientated is one of those stupid new "business-speak" words. [In reply to] Can't Post

Like calendarize.

Yuck. Tongue

It is always those with the fewest sensible things to say who make the loudest noise in saying them. --Precious Ramotswe (Alexander McCall Smith)

RosieLass
Valinor

May 24 2012, 4:23pm

Post #61 of 187 (1799 views)
Shortcut
I disagree with the first one. [In reply to] Can't Post

With the stomach issues I've been having the last year, I have hunger pangs and hunger pains. Cool

It is always those with the fewest sensible things to say who make the loudest noise in saying them. --Precious Ramotswe (Alexander McCall Smith)

Darkstone
Immortal

May 24 2012, 4:24pm

Post #62 of 187 (1774 views)
Shortcut
Me neither. [In reply to] Can't Post

And I think you're right, they wouldn't mean anywhere near the same thing.

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.”

Darkstone
Immortal

May 24 2012, 4:26pm

Post #63 of 187 (1734 views)
Shortcut
Yes. [In reply to] Can't Post

Wifey's hunger pangs can be quite painful.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 24 2012, 4:29pm

Post #64 of 187 (1826 views)
Shortcut
Did you know [In reply to] Can't Post

that they had to close the A&M library? Someone stole the book!

Then they were able to get it back, but had to close again, because the person had colored in all the pages.

(I wonder if my U. Texas/Austin-graduate brother still has his "101 Aggie Jokes" booklet...)

(Oh, I got an email from him today, he wanted to send my youngest a gift certificate, and wondered if Starbucks was "genetic". Yep, he really wrote that. Tongue)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

May 24 2012, 4:31pm

Post #65 of 187 (1818 views)
Shortcut
Now, now.... [In reply to] Can't Post

The Gaffer graduated from A&M and I graduated from UT. We've made that mixed marriage last a long time! Tongue

Seriously, it's funny to go into other parts of the world and see what group is substituted for Aggies in that particular variety of joke. Blondes, even---it doesn't have to be a nationality or college!

Do we walk in legends or on the green earth in the daylight?

A man may do both. For not we but those who come after will make the legends of our time. The green earth, say you? That is a mighty matter of legend, though you tread it under the light of day!

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

May 24 2012, 4:33pm

Post #66 of 187 (1815 views)
Shortcut
This really sets my teeth on edge [In reply to] Can't Post

For example, we enjoy watching American Pickers on the History Channel, but Mike and Frank, no matter how affable and knowledgeable, use horrible grammar. I'm always shouting at the TV after one of them says, "I seen" or "It was broke".

Aiieeee..... Shocked

A man may do both. For not we but those who come after will make the legends of our time. The green earth, say you? That is a mighty matter of legend, though you tread it under the light of day!

Darkstone
Immortal

May 24 2012, 4:35pm

Post #67 of 187 (1825 views)
Shortcut
A tornado hit the A&M campus! [In reply to] Can't Post

It did 20 million dollars worth of improvements.

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

May 24 2012, 4:38pm

Post #68 of 187 (1806 views)
Shortcut
Yes, the joys of dialect.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I exchange Word files with friends in Australia and the UK. Each of us has our own software set to our particular dialect. Trying to ignore all the little red lines while I'm proofreading gets really annoying---although I suppose it's a good exercise in discrimination. Is that a typo, or is that his/her normal spelling that's only underlined on MY screen?

But, as Darkstone says, it's no good sending something out without running it past another pair of (reliable) eyes.

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

May 24 2012, 4:40pm

Post #69 of 187 (1820 views)
Shortcut
Funnily enough, [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't attend either school. I went to St. Mary's U. so all I get to tell is Catholic jokes. Angelic

And suddenly the Tornadoes saw afar off a greenlight, as it were a cloud with a living heart of flame;
and they knew that this was no vision only, but that PJ had made a new thing: The Hobbit, the Film that Is.

DanielLB
Immortal

May 24 2012, 4:44pm

Post #70 of 187 (1743 views)
Shortcut
I'm only joking ;-) / [In reply to] Can't Post

DanielLB
Immortal

May 24 2012, 4:45pm

Post #71 of 187 (1749 views)
Shortcut
It might be [In reply to] Can't Post

I just can't find a clear answer on the internet Crazy

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

May 24 2012, 4:47pm

Post #72 of 187 (1787 views)
Shortcut
Confused Words & Contradictions [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's a small list of commonly confused words:

http://oxforddictionaries.com/...monly-confused-words

But sometimes the word itself is at fault for being self-contradictory and ambiguous depending entirely upon, and even within, context.

For example:

Sanction:
a. Authorized
b. Penalty

How do you interpret "The action was sanctioned?" Was the action authorized or was it penalized for being unauthorized? Go figure. A good writer will understand this problem and make it clear.

(This post was edited by JWPlatt on May 24 2012, 4:51pm)

geordie
Tol Eressea

May 24 2012, 5:37pm

Post #73 of 187 (1756 views)
Shortcut
Here! Here! [In reply to] Can't Post

* I mean, Hear! Hear!

Smile

geordie
Tol Eressea

May 24 2012, 5:42pm

Post #74 of 187 (1786 views)
Shortcut
I used to think a glacier was a bloke who fixed windows - [In reply to] Can't Post

- but then, I also used to think Hertz van Rental was a Dutch painter.

Cool

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 24 2012, 5:49pm

Post #75 of 187 (1747 views)
Shortcut
An A&M rocket scientist [In reply to] Can't Post

announced he was going to lead an expedition to the Sun.

"But how will you withstand the heat of the Sun?" asked the U. Texas scientists.

"Ah, I've got that all worked out," he replied. "We're going at night."

Unfortunately, most of the jokes in that book are not repeatable on a family forum...Blush

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.