The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
"I've lost my Wizard and my Way"

DavidDragonSlayer
The Shire

May 22 2012, 3:01am

Post #1 of 25 (1471 views)
Shortcut
"I've lost my Wizard and my Way" Can't Post

Does anybody have quotes from the Hobbit (or LOTR) that occasionally seem to fit their Real Life situations? Today I was going out to see the Victoria Day Fireworks, but my GPS-smartphone ("lost my wizard") died in late-mid afternoon, and I was in a part of town I don't know well ("[lost] my way"), so I decided I should start heading home as best I could instead. Anybody ever have situations when something has happened to them, where a quote from TH/LOTR fits for them?

Another one that occured to me wsa "You shall not Pass!" to be used by a teacher toward a failing student... ;)

DanielLB
Immortal

May 22 2012, 7:27am

Post #2 of 25 (823 views)
Shortcut
Short cuts make for long delays [In reply to] Can't Post

But nobody ever knows what I'm going on about...

Voting has begun for "The Lord of the Rings Character Elimination Game"

Make sure you vote for your favourite characters!

DavidDragonSlayer
The Shire

May 22 2012, 7:30am

Post #3 of 25 (803 views)
Shortcut
Where is that from? [In reply to] Can't Post

Is that referring to the fellowship going through Moria in FOTR?

(This post was edited by DavidDragonSlayer on May 22 2012, 7:31am)

DanielLB
Immortal

May 22 2012, 7:34am

Post #4 of 25 (797 views)
Shortcut
Pippin says it [In reply to] Can't Post

In the chapter: "A Shortcut to Mushrooms"

RoseCotton
Lorien

May 22 2012, 7:37am

Post #5 of 25 (800 views)
Shortcut
I think it is from FOTR but... [In reply to] Can't Post

... earlier than that. Someone will no doubt be able to put me straight if I'm wrong, but I think it's when the 'fellowship' consists only of Frodo, Sam and Pippin, and they're discussing a route that may (or may not) cause them to pass an inn en route that has the best ale in the (from uncertain memory) Eastfarthing. The Golden Perch was it?

Of course, it's entirely possible I'm misremembering the whole thing! Wink

DanielLB
Immortal

May 22 2012, 7:40am

Post #6 of 25 (795 views)
Shortcut
Yup, that is right :-) / [In reply to] Can't Post

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 22 2012, 9:49am

Post #7 of 25 (843 views)
Shortcut
"'If you have walked all these days with closed ears and mind asleep, wake up now!'" [In reply to] Can't Post

Gandalf to Pippin as they approach the Citadel

sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on May 22 2012, 9:52am)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 22 2012, 9:51am

Post #8 of 25 (787 views)
Shortcut
"Well if that isn't a plague and a nuisance!" [Pippin] // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

dijomaja
Lorien

May 22 2012, 10:09am

Post #9 of 25 (805 views)
Shortcut
"Our list of allies grows THINNN..." (movie only) [In reply to] Can't Post

When my daughter and I find ourselves in situations where we're not getting a lot of help, we quote movie-Elrond as above. It has to be spoken quietly until the end and you have to arch your eyebrows on "THINNN".

Undome
Bree

May 22 2012, 10:41pm

Post #10 of 25 (745 views)
Shortcut
Oh my! Too many to list..... [In reply to] Can't Post

.... but a few of the most frequent ones are:

"Wheerre isss it?" (when I've misplaced something).

"Now there's an eye-opener and no mistake!" (when I'm impressed).

"Since when has [insert name] the wise abandoned reason for madness?" (when someone does someting stupid).

"It is gone forever, and now all is dark and empty."
- Frodo Baggins

Undome
Bree

May 22 2012, 11:17pm

Post #11 of 25 (741 views)
Shortcut
And then, of course, there's my signature...... [In reply to] Can't Post

"It is gone forever, and now all is dark and empty."
- Frodo Baggins

Finrod
Rohan

May 23 2012, 2:16am

Post #12 of 25 (760 views)
Shortcut
per Gildor Inglorion [In reply to] Can't Post

Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.

…all eyes looked upon the ring; for he held it now aloft, and the green jewels gleamed there that the Noldor had devised in Valinor. For this ring was like to twin serpents, whose eyes were emeralds, and their heads met beneath a crown of golden flowers, that the one upheld and the other devoured; that was the badge of Finarfin and his house.
The Silmarillion, pp 150-151
while Felagund laughs beneath the trees
in Valinor and comes no more
to this grey world of tears and war.
The Lays of Beleriand, p 311

DanielLB
Immortal

May 23 2012, 7:20am

Post #13 of 25 (745 views)
Shortcut
How do you manage to fit that into a conversation?! [In reply to] Can't Post

Although...

I always change it to:

Do not meddle in the affairs of women, for they are subtle and quick to anger. Wink

It is a joke of course - no offense intended! Smile

FantasyFan
Rohan

May 23 2012, 11:10am

Post #14 of 25 (737 views)
Shortcut
Sometimes it becomes [In reply to] Can't Post

"Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with catsup."

It fits surprisingly well into many conversations, whenever a Dragon is nearby (traffic policeman, boss, rude kid at the store, etc.

"That is one thing that Men call 'hope.' Amdir we call it, 'looking up.' But there is another which is founded deeper. Estel we call it, that is 'trust.' It is not defeated by the ways of the world, for it does not come from experience, but from our nature and First Being. If we are indeed the Eruhin, the Children of the One, then He will not suffer Himself to be deprived of His own, not by any enemy, not even by ourselves. This is the last foundation of estel, which we keep even when we contemplate the End. Of all His designs the issue must be for His children's joy."
Finrod, Athrabeth Finrod ah Andreth, HoME X Morgoth's Ring

Longbottom Leaf
Lorien

May 24 2012, 1:10am

Post #15 of 25 (685 views)
Shortcut
"None of us should wander alone... [In reply to] Can't Post

you least of all." While camping I bumped into my friend in the woods while we were on a firewood expedition and used this line. I immediately followed with "I ask only for the strength to defend my people!" while hurling my lumber to the ground. Needless to say we were both laughing hysterically as a result of perfect timing and surroundings. And of course my favorite,although I change it to reflect myself instead of someone else, "My love of the halflings leaf has clearly slowed my mind."

The best weed in the southfarthing!

tennie75
Lorien

May 24 2012, 2:58am

Post #16 of 25 (663 views)
Shortcut
Mostly it is [In reply to] Can't Post

"Taters, precious" when Mr Tennie asks what's for dinner.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

Ruxendil_Thoorg
Tol Eressea

May 24 2012, 3:20am

Post #17 of 25 (676 views)
Shortcut
Sometimes before a meal: "The table is set..." or after making plans for something: "The plans are set..." [In reply to] Can't Post

Followed by "...the pieces are moving...."

Sometimes when my 5 year old asks what food is on her plate, or when she asks what are fries made from, i end up saying "Po-tay-toes" Sean Astin style.

A bag is like a hole that you can carry with you.

http://newboards.theonering.net/...rum.cgi?post=424021;

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 24 2012, 4:13am

Post #18 of 25 (722 views)
Shortcut
Hah, that bit about fries... [In reply to] Can't Post

reminds me of when my younger sister was about 2 years old. Fries were her favorite food, but she was only familiar with the usual thin fast food variety. One day we all went out to a restaurant which served wedge fries as their only option. My sister took one bite and then announced in horrified voice that could be heard all over the restaurant, "Eeeewww! These french fries have potato in them!"

Silverlode

"Of all faces those of our familiares are the ones both most difficult to play fantastic tricks with, and most difficult really to see with fresh attention. They have become like the things which once attracted us by their glitter, or their colour, or their shape, and we laid hands on them, and then locked them in our hoard, acquired them, and acquiring ceased to look at them.
Creative fantasy, because it is mainly trying to do something else [make something new], may open your hoard and let all the locked things fly away like cage-birds. The gems all turn into flowers or flames, and you will be warned that all you had (or knew) was dangerous and potent, not really effectively chained, free and wild; no more yours than they were you."
-On Fairy Stories

Ruxendil_Thoorg
Tol Eressea

May 25 2012, 2:01am

Post #19 of 25 (642 views)
Shortcut
hahahaha :-D [In reply to] Can't Post

That's so cute! Was there laughter and smiling from other tables?

A bag is like a hole that you can carry with you.

http://newboards.theonering.net/...rum.cgi?post=424021;

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 25 2012, 2:31am

Post #20 of 25 (641 views)
Shortcut
Some... [In reply to] Can't Post

but mostly I remember the laughter at our table. That was many years ago now but we still laugh at the memory. Laugh

Silverlode

"Of all faces those of our familiares are the ones both most difficult to play fantastic tricks with, and most difficult really to see with fresh attention. They have become like the things which once attracted us by their glitter, or their colour, or their shape, and we laid hands on them, and then locked them in our hoard, acquired them, and acquiring ceased to look at them.
Creative fantasy, because it is mainly trying to do something else [make something new], may open your hoard and let all the locked things fly away like cage-birds. The gems all turn into flowers or flames, and you will be warned that all you had (or knew) was dangerous and potent, not really effectively chained, free and wild; no more yours than they were you."
-On Fairy Stories

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

May 25 2012, 3:49am

Post #21 of 25 (642 views)
Shortcut
We say that in my family all the time :-D // [In reply to] Can't Post

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

May 25 2012, 3:56am

Post #22 of 25 (654 views)
Shortcut
"Eggses it is" [In reply to] Can't Post

I find myself saying that whenever we have eggs for breakfast. And when I'm looking though my pockets for something, I misquote Gollum: "What have I got in my pocketses?" I've been doing that almost unconsciously for decades.

"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

DavidDragonSlayer
The Shire

May 25 2012, 4:01am

Post #23 of 25 (635 views)
Shortcut
But Does She? [In reply to] Can't Post

You say that others laugh at what your younger sister said. Does she find it funny now?

Finrod
Rohan

May 25 2012, 4:40am

Post #24 of 25 (637 views)
Shortcut
Meddling in the affairs of wizards [In reply to] Can't Post

It’s easy to fit it into conversations where there are wizards around (meaning god-level programmers).

…all eyes looked upon the ring; for he held it now aloft, and the green jewels gleamed there that the Noldor had devised in Valinor. For this ring was like to twin serpents, whose eyes were emeralds, and their heads met beneath a crown of golden flowers, that the one upheld and the other devoured; that was the badge of Finarfin and his house.
The Silmarillion, pp 150-151
while Felagund laughs beneath the trees
in Valinor and comes no more
to this grey world of tears and war.
The Lays of Beleriand, p 311

(This post was edited by Finrod on May 25 2012, 4:41am)

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 25 2012, 4:46am

Post #25 of 25 (930 views)
Shortcut
Yep. [In reply to] Can't Post

She's pretty good humored about stuff like that. Cool

Silverlode

-On Fairy Stories

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.