Instructions for ordering Map Prints - deadline October 12
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next page Last page  View All

Lurking Girl
Bree

Oct 4 2007, 9:28pm

Post #51 of 195 (5494 views)
Shortcut
Joins the club. [In reply to] Can't Post

I ordered one and I bet you won't know my real name. I'm Laura in case you need to double check me. :)

Yay! Ponders doing geeky happy dance in middle of room. ;)

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 4 2007, 9:38pm

Post #52 of 195 (5495 views)
Shortcut
I just saw your order [In reply to] Can't Post

I was checking the list and saw you. Thanks for letting me know!

Each cloak was fastened about the neck with a brooch like a green leaf veined with silver.
`Are these magic cloaks?' asked Pippin, looking at them with wonder.
`I do not know what you mean by that,' answered the leader of the Elves.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

deej
Tol Eressea

Oct 4 2007, 10:53pm

Post #53 of 195 (5496 views)
Shortcut
How fantastic is it [In reply to] Can't Post

That we will all be 'linked' together forever by this wonderful map that Daniel has made.

Heart

(This post was edited by Altaira on Oct 5 2007, 3:45am)

Patty
Immortal

Oct 5 2007, 3:09am

Post #54 of 195 (5507 views)
Shortcut
and my e-mail from Sir Ian... [In reply to] Can't Post

it's still in my inbox, and will never be deleted!

At 08:36 AM 02/03/00, you wrote:
>***************************************************************************

>EmailOK: ON

>NameOK: ON
>Topic: The Lord of the Rings
>E-Post: Press this button to E-Post
>
>S1:
>I want to say how much I enjoyed Cold Comfort Farm! How you managed not
to laugh when you said, drain the well - a neighbour's missing...and at the
pulpit...really fun performanace.
>I know Gandalf is safe in those hands!!

The simple rule of playing comedy is to play the truth of the situation -
Amos Starkadder is deadly serious in the pulpit and puts the fear of God
into his congregation. Only the audience, outside the situation, sees the
fun. There is nothing less amusing than an actor who can be seen trying to
get a laugh.

best wishes from middle earth
ian mckellen

--------------------------------------------------------
Ian McKellen
imm@mckellen.com www.mckellen.com

For Gondor!

(This post was edited by Patty on Oct 5 2007, 3:10am)

Patty
Immortal

Oct 5 2007, 3:13am

Post #55 of 195 (5483 views)
Shortcut
Thanks Idril and Dora... [In reply to] Can't Post

Our poor Altaira couldn't have used her real name if she had wanted to when she joined the board...there was already a pretender to that throne.Evil

For Gondor!

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Oct 5 2007, 3:21am

Post #56 of 195 (5473 views)
Shortcut
Wow, that is so cool! [In reply to] Can't Post

Amazing that he send you such a great reply! Thanks for sharing it!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
Chance Meeting at Rivendell: a Tolkien Fanfic
and some other stuff I wrote...
leleni at hotmail dot com

"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape." --Terry Pratchett

Shadowfaxfan
Rivendell

Oct 5 2007, 9:26am

Post #57 of 195 (5482 views)
Shortcut
I would have to say the email [In reply to] Can't Post

from Ian is worthy of a frame and a place on the wall next to the map!!!! What a nice sentiment to have!

A myth is far truer than a history, for a history only gives a story of the shadows, whereas a myth gives a story of the substances that cast the shadows.~Annie Besant
Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion. It seizes a person whole, and once it has done so, he will have to accept that his life will be radically changed. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Patty
Immortal

Oct 5 2007, 3:40pm

Post #58 of 195 (5486 views)
Shortcut
I don't know about a frame... [In reply to] Can't Post

but you see it's been 7 years, and I haven't deleted it!Sly

For Gondor!

drogo
Lorien

Oct 5 2007, 9:22pm

Post #59 of 195 (5495 views)
Shortcut
Thanks Entmaiden and Eledwhen [In reply to] Can't Post

for coordinating the orders. I will love to see a print version of it; it looks so magnificent!

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Oct 5 2007, 9:48pm

Post #60 of 195 (5485 views)
Shortcut
I hope he does delurk! [In reply to] Can't Post

I wrote to Daniel apart from placing my order, and had a little conversation you might enjoy:

I said:

Hi, Daniel. After all this time I feel like I know you :-) I was told you looked at some of my photos of the Unmasking; I was honored at the thought. I was one of the few people who have had the privilege of touching your fabled Map with my own hands. It is so incredibly beautiful. I've been a TORnsib since 2001. You captured the spirit of the place perfectly. Back in February, I think I was the first person to post a tentative list of correspondences between "places" on TORn and places in Middle Earth (Main should be in Hobbiton, etc.) Other people amended the list, but I'm thrilled to see so many things in that list come to fruition. You put so much love and care into the map: as many people have said, it *is* TORn. Thank you for doing this for us, and for doing it so incredibly well! I loved the look on Altaira's face when she said "How did you guys do this?" and Anne said "We didn't. Daniel Reeve did." And then she made this face: http://s226.photobucket.com/albums/dd62/AuntDoraBaggins/A%20conspiracy%20unmasked/?action=view¤t=Altaira.jpg

and then he said:

Thanks for your compliments Karen!

I've read many of the posts on the messageboard, and I feel like a part of the community now, having made a contribution by way of that little map! I'm so glad to have been part of the adventure - thanks for the opportunity!

Daniel

And then I said:

I'm so glad you've seen some of the excitement on the board. If you ever delurk, grammaboodawg will probably explode.

And then he said:

"delurk"!!! :'-D love it!

"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."

"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape." --Terry Pratchett

WhiteLadyEowyn
Rivendell

Oct 5 2007, 10:37pm

Post #61 of 195 (5469 views)
Shortcut
I don't think Gramma would be the only one.. [In reply to] Can't Post

.. but let me ask a hypothetical question.

If the chance were to arise that you could meet Daniel Reeve, now that we have seen what kind of magic he can make with a pen/brush etc., would you take it?

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Oct 5 2007, 11:21pm

Post #62 of 195 (5456 views)
Shortcut
That is a silly question ;-) [In reply to] Can't Post

To be perfectly honest, I had no idea who he was before this project began. I loved the movies, but I didn't follow the careers of the people involved. But now that I've seen what a lovely person he is, of course I would want to meet him if I had a chance. (I did love his work in the movies, I had just never connected it with a name before.) Actually, I want to go back now and look some more at his board games. I'm a big fan of games with yummy boards. And now that I've looked at his site, I'm seeing a lot of things I would buy if I hadn't blown my budget for a while ;-)

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 6 2007, 12:35am

Post #63 of 195 (5464 views)
Shortcut
I need to tell him [In reply to] Can't Post

that his sign "No Admittance except on Party Business" and Thror's map were the two things that caused me to fall in love with the Fellowship movie. I was so scared that the movies would be horrible, but as soon as I saw those two items I let out the breath I had been holding and knew my favorite books were in safe hands.

If Daniel ever does come to TORN, I kind of hope he does it anonymously so people get to know him as a person instead of as Daniel Reeve. As much as I know we appreciate what he's done I would want him to enjoy talking Tolkien as much as taking well-deserved congratulations for his work. He can uncloak once he's a regular and hoisted a few with us on Fiesta Friday.

Each cloak was fastened about the neck with a brooch like a green leaf veined with silver.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Oct 6 2007, 12:47am

Post #64 of 195 (5466 views)
Shortcut
That's a really nice thought. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

If Daniel ever does come to TORN, I kind of hope he does it anonymously so people get to know him as a person instead of as Daniel Reeve. As much as I know we appreciate what he's done I would want him to enjoy talking Tolkien as much as taking well-deserved congratulations for his work. He can uncloak once he's a regular and hoisted a few with us on Fiesta Friday.

WhiteLadyEowyn
Rivendell

Oct 6 2007, 1:00am

Post #65 of 195 (5455 views)
Shortcut
Oh, yes! [In reply to] Can't Post

That would be marvellous. Since we know he has been here on the boards more than once already, I would dealry love for him to sign up and post here. Anonymously, as entmaiden suggested.

It would make a fun little game -- a newbie starts posting, and we all wonder -- "Could this be Daniel?"

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Oct 6 2007, 1:43am

Post #66 of 195 (5547 views)
Shortcut
Sounds like some of us have developed at taste [In reply to] Can't Post

for conspiracy ;-)

Alassea Elensar
Rivendell

Oct 7 2007, 9:11pm

Post #67 of 195 (5467 views)
Shortcut
As others have said, done and done! [In reply to] Can't Post

I was so afraid I'd missed it, as today is the first day I've been at the computer since last weekend! But it seems I made it in time. Woo-hoo! Smile

In all the excitement to order my copy of the map, however, I forgot to identify myself in the "note to seller" box. Entmaiden and Eledhwen, look for a PM from me. Blush

The map is so beautiful, and I'm very happy that we're able to order copies for our very own! I intend to frame mine and put it up on the wall right next to the computer where I can always see it.

Many, many thanks to Daniel, and to everyone else involved in bringing this treasure to us. Heart

Sunflower
Valinor

Oct 7 2007, 9:19pm

Post #68 of 195 (5445 views)
Shortcut
Oh dear. [In reply to] Can't Post

I have only just heard of this. Is this a ME-style map with all of your locations on it?

I know I'm going to miss the deadline, Wonder if you'll be posting any fo this?

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 7 2007, 10:11pm

Post #69 of 195 (5426 views)
Shortcut
Info for you [In reply to] Can't Post

Check the link for ordering prints in Entmaiden's post to see a full pic of it, and here's a link to what the conspiracy was all about!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Only I hear the stones lament them: deep they delved us, fair they wrought us, high they builded us; but they are gone. They are gone. They sought the Havens long ago."
(Avatar pic: The Calanais stones, Isle of Lewis)

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 8 2007, 12:16am

Post #70 of 195 (5447 views)
Shortcut
You're not too late! [In reply to] Can't Post

We have plenty of prints left, and just follow the instructions in my original message and you're on your way!

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

Morrowdim
Rivendell

Oct 8 2007, 7:53am

Post #71 of 195 (5445 views)
Shortcut
Mine is on order. [In reply to] Can't Post

Expect my paypal account to say my husband's name. I added a note saying Morrowdim, though.

Patty
Immortal

Oct 8 2007, 2:27pm

Post #72 of 195 (5468 views)
Shortcut
I'll bet this is the first map of an actual on-line community ever made... [In reply to] Can't Post

I wouldn't be surprised to find one day in the future it had become a collectors' item on Antiques Roadshow, 2025!Sly

For Gondor!

(This post was edited by Patty on Oct 8 2007, 2:33pm)

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Oct 8 2007, 3:57pm

Post #73 of 195 (5436 views)
Shortcut
HELP! [In reply to] Can't Post

I finally took a deep breath to plunge in and buy the map -- but it won't let me! As soon as I click onto Paypal, it comes up and says "The recipient of this shopping cart link is not an approved shopping cart user. Please review your selection and try again.".

So now what do I do? I'm running out of time. And I can't send a PM because it tells me I'm not a user and to sign in, and each time I sign in, I still get the same message!

"There are some things that it is better to begin than to refuse, even though the end may be dark."

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Oct 8 2007, 5:41pm

Post #74 of 195 (5443 views)
Shortcut
I emailed Daniel, too. [In reply to] Can't Post

And, great glory and splendor he wrote back!

Here it is:

Dear Daniel,
I just wanted to let you know how much I appreciate your recent work
on the The One Ring.Net message board map. The finished product is
more beautiful than we all imagined. I'm sure by now you have heard
what a great thrill it was for Altaira and BG to receive it. I was
only a very tiny part of the conspiracy, mostly contributing things
like, "I love it!" or "Great ideas!". However, the finished map has
turned out to be greater than the sum of its many parts. Thank you
again for your brilliance, talent and time. I especially love the
fox! You're a gem!
Alassëa Eruvande (although I did use my real name when writing to him.)

Daniel's reply:

It truly was my pleasure to create the map, [Alassëa's real name]! (wow, what a neat name!)

I added some ideas of my own of course, but many things (such as the
fox) came from you TORnadoes. I guess I'm just lucky to have been
given the job of showing you guys your own ideas in concrete form
(well, paper and ink in this case, rather than concrete...).

Glad you like it!

Daniel

*squeee!* He likes my real name! HeartHeart

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

And suddenly the Ainur saw afar off a light, as it were a cloud with a living heart of flame.

Greenwood Hobbit
Valinor

Oct 12 2007, 10:00pm

Post #75 of 195 (5409 views)
Shortcut
*sigh* I'll be sitting this one out, and waiting for the poster version. Beautiful work! [In reply to] Can't Post

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.