Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Flagship:
Rivendell and one snowy night

Faenoriel
Sailing Master

May 21 2012, 8:39pm

Post #1 of 20 (651 views)
Shortcut
Rivendell and one snowy night Can't Post

No, seriously, how does Rivendell work? It's surely pretty and nicely air conditioned in the summer, but what about the first instance of rain or snow or just normal wind? There are leaves too, perpetually falling down. Is it all just magic? All hail the power of Vilya? Or is there some kind of "Winter Rivendell" down the valley, to where they migrate in autumn? Wink

Perhaps it wouldn't bother me if they wouldn't have been so painfully realistic about all the other sets, what with Minas Tirith's main gate having fully functioning locking system et cetera.

But every word you say today
Gets twisted 'round some other way
And they'll hurt you if they think you've lied

DanielLB
Captain

May 21 2012, 8:42pm

Post #2 of 20 (285 views)
Shortcut
Likely magic [In reply to] Can't Post

But seeing how my PhD is on airflow in mountainous regions, I could give you a better answer..... Wink

Voting has begun for "The Lord of the Rings Character Elimination Game"

Make sure you vote for your favourite characters!

Finwe
Able Seaman

May 21 2012, 9:09pm

Post #3 of 20 (295 views)
Shortcut
My guess is Vilya [In reply to] Can't Post

Which is just an avenue through which the magic "fits" into the story.

As three great Jewels they were in form. But not until the End, when Fëanor shall return who perished ere the Sun was made, and sits now in the Halls of Awaiting and comes no more among his kin; not until the Sun passes and the Moon falls, shall it be known of what substance they were made. Like the crystal of diamonds it appeared, and yet was more strong than adamant, so that no violence could mar it or break it within the Kingdom of Arda.

Faenoriel
Sailing Master

May 21 2012, 9:41pm

Post #4 of 20 (300 views)
Shortcut
Is it a bit inappropriate for Middle-Earth? [In reply to] Can't Post

Usually magic and sorts are very subtle. They stay in the backround, and strickly to unmundane things, remaining mysterious and ancient. What else does magic do in Rivendell? Wash the dishes? Perhaps we've solved the question of who cleans the toilets in Elvish homes. Laugh

Faenoriel
Sailing Master

May 21 2012, 10:01pm

Post #5 of 20 (313 views)
Shortcut
Oh God, I'm really getting tired... [In reply to] Can't Post

The quality of my messages is dropping like.... But I must stay awake, for I've lost my phone, and I have no alarm clock other than it, and if I go to sleep I might not wake up early enough to make it in time to work. Crazy

Bladerunner
Gunner

May 21 2012, 11:24pm

Post #6 of 20 (258 views)
Shortcut
Rivendell in winter would make a great subject for a painting! [In reply to] Can't Post

Either during a snowy evening, or perhaps during a crisp clear sunny day.

Nice musings!...

GoodGuyA
Able Seaman

May 22 2012, 1:59am

Post #7 of 20 (269 views)
Shortcut
Not when you consider the context PJ was going for [In reply to] Can't Post

On the commentary (or the Appendicies, I can't remember) they talk about Rivendell being in a perpetual Autumn. It signals the ending of the age of Elves and the new dawn of men. I have a suspicion that Rivendell will be far more green in The Hobbit, when taking in this context. I think that perhaps with the elves' numbers dwindling, the fall is slowly becoming winter. Makes me wonder who will watch after Rivendell when they're gone though...

And to say magic in Middle-Earth is entirely subtle is to overlook... Most of the magic presented. I don't think falling leaves really takes that much magic.

Earl
Terror of the Seas / Moderator

May 22 2012, 7:40am

Post #8 of 20 (265 views)
Shortcut
I think the pleasant weather could be attributed to Vilya [In reply to] Can't Post

Doesn't Tolkien say that the three Elven-rings had the power of "preserving" things against the passage of time?

So I assume wearing it Elrond could potentially have had some control over the passage of time, read "seasons", and their effects. That's not to say he would have controlled the weather entirely, but rather that he'd make sure the winters and summers weren't too severe, but just about moderate, with sunshine, rainfall, and snow in just the right amounts.

In any case, being so close to nature, I doubt things such as rain or snow adversely affect the Elves. They're wondrous folk, and probably rejoice in such natural phenomena, unlike Men who feel the need to "protect" themselves against them.

The Plan 9 Interview... in celebration of the 10th anniversary of the release of The Fellowship of the Ring.

ElendilTheShort
Gunner

May 22 2012, 9:55am

Post #9 of 20 (261 views)
Shortcut
Most of what we see [In reply to] Can't Post

could be the semi outdoor amenities with inner halls predominantly used in colder months. As the elves had the "magic" to make items like the cloaks they gave the fellowship they may be able to construct rain, cold and wind resistant curtains in a similar vein to cover some of those large openings. Although in a slighty different environment the Galadhrim lived on flets which would be significantly less weatherproof so they must have had some less solid form of effective shelter also.

(This post was edited by ElendilTheShort on May 22 2012, 9:59am)

Darkstone
Captain

May 22 2012, 6:37pm

Post #10 of 20 (235 views)
Shortcut
It's like Camelot. [In reply to] Can't Post

"It's true! It's true! The crown has made it clear.
The climate must be perfect all the year.

"A law was made a distant moon ago here:
July and August cannot be too hot.
And there's a legal limit to the snow here
In Camelot.
The winter is forbidden till December
And exits March the second on the dot.
By order, summer lingers through September
In Camelot."

And what with the Tra-la-lally Elves it's like Camelot in yet another way: "It is a silly place."

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.”

Faenoriel
Sailing Master

May 22 2012, 8:18pm

Post #11 of 20 (201 views)
Shortcut
Good one [In reply to] Can't Post

Thinking about it, changing the local weather might be a simpler task than making windowless and doorless buildings weather-proof. After all somebody was messing up with the weather on Caradhras, and Elrond had at least some control on the river (whos name escapes me at the moment) running past Rivendell, so it's not out of the realm of possibility.

DanielLB
Captain

May 22 2012, 8:22pm

Post #12 of 20 (184 views)
Shortcut
Loudwater/Bruinen [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree, it's not that unbelievable if they had the ability to control the weather one way or another.

Unless Manwë was giving a helping hand Laugh

Faenoriel
Sailing Master

May 22 2012, 8:24pm

Post #13 of 20 (210 views)
Shortcut
Lothlórien [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, it doesn't look very warm in those tree huts either. Perhaps Earl's weather explanation is in function here too.

Which leaves one wondering, did Thranduil really live in a cave because he didn't have a magic ring to keep the winter out of any over ground buildings? Wink

Faenoriel
Sailing Master

May 22 2012, 8:24pm

Post #14 of 20 (181 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! / [In reply to] Can't Post

DanielLB
Captain

May 22 2012, 8:27pm

Post #15 of 20 (197 views)
Shortcut
Ooooh that's good thinking! [In reply to] Can't Post

Although ... what springs to mind first is that a cave offers more protection from Mirkwood boogie monsters, than living in a tree or open house!

Wink

Faenoriel
Sailing Master

May 22 2012, 8:32pm

Post #16 of 20 (250 views)
Shortcut
Some of them did live on talans aka tree houses [In reply to] Can't Post

They must have been in the most safest parts of the forest, otherwise it's terrible to imagine what it's like to live on a talan in a forest full of giant man eating spiders.

Fertlthewhite
Powder Monkey

May 25 2012, 12:23pm

Post #17 of 20 (154 views)
Shortcut
Rivendell works in mysterious ways [In reply to] Can't Post

even buildings like to change

<oversized image removed> - entmaiden

(This post was edited by entmaiden on May 25 2012, 3:09pm)

DanielLB
Captain

May 25 2012, 12:28pm

Post #18 of 20 (134 views)
Shortcut
I never noticed that! [In reply to] Can't Post

I never noticed that Fertlethewhite! There really is quite a big difference between the two...

Maybe that explains my thread on the Rivendell re-design:

http://newboards.theonering.net/...ng=Rivendell;#438935

So Elrond is not only hiding a ring, but the buildings also move!

By the way, your picture is too big, and needs to be re-sized to obey forum rules (see 2.20):

http://newboards.theonering.net/...;;page=unread#unread

(This post was edited by DanielLB on May 25 2012, 12:30pm)

Fertlthewhite
Powder Monkey

May 25 2012, 12:36pm

Post #19 of 20 (149 views)
Shortcut
buildings [In reply to] Can't Post

Attachments: aotn6cpb.jpg (38.6 KB)

Noel Q. von Schneiffel
Cabin Boy

May 26 2012, 8:48pm

Post #20 of 20 (204 views)
Shortcut
Balrog fire? [In reply to] Can't Post

The truth is, Rivendell was connected to Moria through an enormous system of underground pipes. The heat of the Balrog was funneled through these pipes to Rivendell. This also explains the perpetually falling leaves. No plant can stand balrog stink for an extended period of time. And, naturally, it explains why Elrond boards the ship with Frodo after the destruction of the One Ring. As the Balrog was also dead, the winters in Rivendell had just become too chilly.

Another interesting detail is that long ago, before the Elves dug the heating pipes, Rivendell had windows made of the finest Elvish glass. It was Aragorn's grandfather Arador, an exceptionally clumsy ranger, who destroyed them. This is how he got his name. He would always run against doors and windows, shattering them. Each time, he would exclaim loudly: "Aaaarrrrr! A door!" or "Aaarrrrr! A window!"

The Glorious Truth of J.R.R. Tolkien
Radiates from his Holy Writings

http://www.tolkientruth.info/

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.