Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Epic Fail: Darth Vader vs. Gandalf - Super Power Beat Down

News From Bree
spymaster@theonering.net

May 20 2012, 8:27am

Post #1 of 16 (1460 views)
Shortcut
Epic Fail: Darth Vader vs. Gandalf - Super Power Beat Down Can't Post

The folks over at Super Power Beat Down are obviously trying to tick off Tolkien fans. In the recent match-up of 'Darth Vader vs. Gandalf,' they've managed to make an amazing technical presentation of a battle between these two pop culture icons (well worth the watch!), but failed when it came down to making an educated decision on who could actually win a battle between the two. Ultimately if the competition comes down to a vote of the pop culture masses, we can always count on the slavish drones of Lucasites feverishly voting for anything that has the moniker of 'Star Wars.' Yea, I'm all kinds of sour grapes. Enjoy the video for the technical prowess and presentation. And, I may mention, the guy in the Darth Vader outfit is actually good TORn friend David Baxter (aka Treebeard)! He's really tall, but next time I see him, I'll try to send a collective slap for the Tolkien community. (P.S. - the views in this story of those of Calisuri, and not TheOneRing.net :P) [Super Power Beat Down] [Direct YouTube Link]

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

May 20 2012, 2:29pm

Post #2 of 16 (753 views)
Shortcut
If we're being absolutely honest... [In reply to] Can't Post

Gandalf vs. Darth Vader could be pretty close and could go either way. The Balrog was immensely powerful, but it did not possess a lightsaber nor Force skills. On the other hand, when could this meeting occur? At no point, after Gandalf realized that Frodo was in possession of the One Ring, were the two of them traveling through the Wilderness alone.

"Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them, as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house." - Aragorn

GoodGuyA
Lorien

May 20 2012, 3:51pm

Post #3 of 16 (621 views)
Shortcut
It was interesting [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree that the fight would have been close. Although we, as Tolkien fans, would obviously side with Gandalf in this I think there is something to be said about how these powers contrast. It's not entirely one sided, especially since Gandalf in all truth doesn't know that much magic. We assume a few things that he can do, but what he actually shows is rather limited. We know Vader's skills and what he could do to counteract situations. In the end though, I still think Gandalf would win merely because he has literal Earth shattering power and a strong resolve.

I have to ask though, are you really arguing the chronology of this? :P It's Darth Vader vs Gandalf. Let it be. The bearded Hobbit was obviously weird though.

But about the video itself... The ideas were phenomenal. I absolutely loved how Gandalf became young Anakin and that fight taking place. The problem is that the fighting was so stilted and awkward on all accounts, and they just tried to cover it up with special effects. Mind you, they were really high res stuff, but it doesn't make up for the fact that it looked like guys were pretending to fight. There's some great potential here (I haven't seen any of the other videos) but they need to improve the actual fight... As well as the defenses. The guy defending Vader was a jerk.

Overall, certainly worth watching, but this concept is beginning to become old.

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

May 20 2012, 4:06pm

Post #4 of 16 (714 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, I've got to tell my inner-nerd to stand down sometimes... [In reply to] Can't Post

Forget when this could happen. It's just a hypothetical after all.

"Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them, as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house." - Aragorn

QuackingTroll
Valinor

May 20 2012, 4:11pm

Post #5 of 16 (616 views)
Shortcut
Shouldn't this be in The Arena, not Main? // [In reply to] Can't Post

"...For if joyful is the fountain that rises in the sun, its springs are in the wells of sorrow unfathomed at the foundations of the Earth"

Arandir
Gondor

May 20 2012, 5:05pm

Post #6 of 16 (679 views)
Shortcut
Chased a horse for 3 days? [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't recall when that happened to Gandalf ... Crazy ... please enlighten me!

(This post was edited by Arandir on May 20 2012, 5:05pm)

DanielLB
Immortal

May 20 2012, 5:33pm

Post #7 of 16 (613 views)
Shortcut
I've always said... [In reply to] Can't Post

That Darth was a rubbish (and lazy) villain. He had an entire star fleet...which he didn't use for 2 films. His management skills as a super villain are poor, compared to our Gandalf!

rings7
Rohan

May 20 2012, 9:05pm

Post #8 of 16 (680 views)
Shortcut
As somone pointed out in FB [In reply to] Can't Post

Vader wouldn't last against a Balrog. How could he possibly win over Gandalf if Gandalf himself defeated a Balrog all by himself without an army.

And why does it have to be Gandalf? Why not putting Vader with another bad guy like Sauron or a Balrog?

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

May 20 2012, 9:19pm

Post #9 of 16 (657 views)
Shortcut
Vader vs. the Balrog [In reply to] Can't Post

Are we certain that the Balrog of Moria has a lock on this contest? The Balrog's whip and sword give him reach, but so so Vader's lightsaber and force-mastery. The Balrog should also have an Intimidating Presence which might give him more of an edge, as does sheer size and strength. Still, it does have a physical body which would be vulnerable to both Force Lightning and Vader's telekinetic crush. I could easily see either one coming out on top.

Kristin Thompson
Rohan

May 21 2012, 3:18am

Post #10 of 16 (575 views)
Shortcut
After Gandalf escaped from Orthanc [In reply to] Can't Post

Gwaihir took him to Edoras and he chose the untamed Shadowfax as the horse to take him swiftly back to Hobbiton. He had to follow the horse over the fields for days before managing to tame him.

SirDennisC
Half-elven

May 21 2012, 3:19am

Post #11 of 16 (549 views)
Shortcut
Couldn't they at least find a white horse? [In reply to] Can't Post

just kidding, that was fun. Thanks.

sherlock
Gondor

May 21 2012, 9:39am

Post #12 of 16 (574 views)
Shortcut
I thought the same thing. [In reply to] Can't Post

Plus I was really hoping that Frodo would jump in and help Gandalf out and that good would triumph over evil. Oh well.

Eruonen
Tol Eressea

May 21 2012, 1:56pm

Post #13 of 16 (595 views)
Shortcut
Their understanding of Gandalf betrayed their ignorance. [In reply to] Can't Post

He was not just an "old man" wizard. As an Istari he is not mortal....Darth Vader is very mortal. We have no clear knowledge of what Gandalf - unrestrained - could do with his power. Darth Vader taps into "the force" for some electrical displays and projected ability. Really, not any different than what was displayed by either Saruman or Gandalf. The Istari had a collar on, they were restrained in what they could do to influence events and in their use of power. If Vader managed to "kill" the body Gandalf was in he would re-appear assuming the Valar sent him back. If Vader was killed...he was dead.
In the end, Gandalf.

(This post was edited by Eruonen on May 21 2012, 1:56pm)

Arandir
Gondor

May 21 2012, 2:50pm

Post #14 of 16 (554 views)
Shortcut
Indeed! [In reply to] Can't Post

Of course he did! I almost forgot that event ... thanks a lot for the heads up!Wink

Kristin Thompson
Rohan

May 21 2012, 3:21pm

Post #15 of 16 (572 views)
Shortcut
Ignorance indeed [In reply to] Can't Post

Though to be fair, Gandalf the Grey as he appears in the film is considerably less powerful than he is in the book. He doesn't often display his magic, and he certainly is constrained from using his power to dominate and push people around. Still, he legitimately could use it to defend himself and others, as he does with the Balrog.

To me, the biggest indication we get of Gandalf's power (in the book) is the scene where Aragorn and Frodo see the lightning on Weathertop in the distance. Later we find out that Gandalf was surrounded by all nine Black Riders and managed to hold them off all night (and they're most powerful at night). That's pretty impressive. And Aragorn emphasizes that he has seen Gandalf perform amazing deeds and in Rivendell has heard of even more amazing ones.

That said, in the film, the Weathertop scene is gone. And in the extended version of RotK, the Witch King knocks Gandalf the White off his horse! Obviously Gandalf the Grey in the book is more powerful than Gandalf the White in the film. In the film, Saruman beats him up, and he comes limping to Rivendell. In the book, Saruman doesn't even dare take Gandalf's staff but just locks him up. I've always assumed that Saruman doesn't dare provoke Gandalf into a physical fight, because the Grey Istar would be forced to defend himself, and they could end up killing each other. There's no indication in the book that Saruman is more powerful than Gandalf; he happens to be head of the White Council, so he's the boss, but I doubt he's physically more powerful.

So people who have seen the film and not read the book might think that Darth Vadar could defeat Gandalf. Those who have read the book know better.

Eruonen
Tol Eressea

May 21 2012, 6:15pm

Post #16 of 16 (645 views)
Shortcut
Uggh....don't remind me [In reply to] Can't Post

"And in the extended version of RotK, the Witch King knocks Gandalf the White off his horse! "

IF we consider "The Force" the same divine/creative/destructive/chaotic power in both worlds...who could use the most of it? Clearly, the Istari who is akin to an angelic figure could handle far more than a mortal who could only channel so much.

This fanboy rests his case.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.