Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Entertainment Weekly Talks 'Hobbit' - BIGTIME!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Elven
Valinor

Oct 6 2007, 6:04pm

Post #76 of 96 (2263 views)
Shortcut
Yep :D ... They 'Dont Do Random' ... // [In reply to] Can't Post

The Road Goes Ever On and On ...
Happy 70th Birthday to The Hobbit!!

Tolkien was a Capricorn!
..*sing & sway* "All we are saying ..Is Give Pete A Chance" ...
"Your friends are with you Peter"
Let the Hobbit Happen!!!

Daughter of Nienna
Grey Havens

Oct 6 2007, 6:36pm

Post #77 of 96 (2299 views)
Shortcut
Good to know... [In reply to] Can't Post

...that some places the Mag gets distributed in a timely manner. I guess that since the company is centered in NYC. that accounts for it. But it is not here in Honolulu yet. In past experience, the bookstores my group usually go to find them have no idea when the Mags are normally to get delivered to them.

I have a subscription — so, no worries for me. Imagine my astonishment when I opened my mailbox and Gollum was there.

I depend on the mag since my first love is film and I like the seasonal previews to keep up with what's coming out; as well as Oscar news. one of their critics, Lissa Scharzbaum annoys me to no end (Owen is better). I never read news other than movie news unless it's Harry Potter or Lost.

I apreciate your analysis of what the article means. I was too busy yesterday and too tired last night to read it.

**Tribute: Lt. J.G. Robert Sterling, WWII Pilot MIA, by Gramma & DoN**
Art Gallery Revised, Aloha & Mahalo, Websites Directory

Nienna: “ those who hearken to her learn pity, and endurance in hope . . . All those who wait in Mandos cry to her, for she brings strength to the spirit and turns sorrow to wisdom." — Valaquenta

Daughter of Nienna
Grey Havens

Oct 6 2007, 6:47pm

Post #78 of 96 (2293 views)
Shortcut
There are people in our group [In reply to] Can't Post

that even though they have already read the online version, insist on having the hard copy for their collections! Smile

DoN

Nienna: “ those who hearken to her learn pity, and endurance in hope . . . All those who wait in Mandos cry to her, for she brings strength to the spirit and turns sorrow to wisdom." — Valaquenta

Daughter of Nienna
Grey Havens

Oct 6 2007, 6:59pm

Post #79 of 96 (2273 views)
Shortcut
date and link to show clips [In reply to] Can't Post

It aired this past thursday, Oct 4, on PBS.

charlie rose.com

1. a discussion about the 40th anniversary of newline cinema
http://www.charlierose.com/...ry-of-newline-cinema

2 . bob shaye
http://www.charlierose.com/guests/bob-shaye

3. michael-lynne
http://www.charlierose.com/guests/

DoN

Patty
Immortal

Oct 6 2007, 7:51pm

Post #80 of 96 (2332 views)
Shortcut
Do you know when they were filmed, though, DoN? [In reply to] Can't Post

I know they aired on the 4th, but I'm trying to find out when they were filmed.

For Gondor!

Patty
Immortal

Oct 6 2007, 7:52pm

Post #81 of 96 (2268 views)
Shortcut
*puts hand up!* [In reply to] Can't Post

that's if I can find it.

For Gondor!

Daughter of Nienna
Grey Havens

Oct 6 2007, 9:49pm

Post #82 of 96 (2290 views)
Shortcut
give it a few days...it'll show up [In reply to] Can't Post

Probably only NYC & LA get the mags on the newstand early. (They are lucky that way with Indy flms art films, and UK/foreign films as well...December Boys never did make it here).

If you don't see it this weekend, try mid-week...by Friday next week it will be definitely there...try some book store like Borders or Barnes & Noble, etc. If you don't find it tright awy, it doesn't mean it's sold out, it means their deliveries are slower in you local. Also, sometimes special issues they want to call attention to might be found in as "special" stand separated from the others... in the middle of an isle or by the register.

I've had to help a friend or two on scavenger hunts for issues in the past that I had mailed to me. I'm an old hand at this of sorts. Smile

Have fun, bring a friend, have some coffee, or 'what-evahs'!

Aloha
DoN
Heart

Daughter of Nienna
Grey Havens

Oct 6 2007, 9:52pm

Post #83 of 96 (2268 views)
Shortcut
No [In reply to] Can't Post

I am afraid to say that I am completely clueless. You might try fishing around on his website... that's my only suggestion...sorry I can't be more help.

I appologise for not catching the distinction in you question the first time.

Aloha
DoN
Heart

Daughter of Nienna
Grey Havens

Oct 6 2007, 10:14pm

Post #84 of 96 (2284 views)
Shortcut
Amen! // [In reply to] Can't Post

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 6 2007, 10:38pm

Post #85 of 96 (2323 views)
Shortcut
Years ago I had a job at a magazine distributor [In reply to] Can't Post

and learned a little bit about how magazines gets to stores. All the publishers ship their magazines in bulk to a central warehouse, where they're sorted into the individual orders from each store. I worked up and down a long table with stacks of each magazine, then picked the titles that were ordered (30 copies of Mademoiselle, 25 of Glamour, 40 People, etc.), bound up the order then had it taken on a rolling cart to the loading dock. The individual orders were then shipped out to the stores.

So each city has a different schedule for stocking the stores, depending on how often the area warehouse delivers the magazine orders. I also worked on the other side, at a convenience store, and we got magazines on Tuesdays and Thursdays. So another store in the area could have a magazine before we did if their delivery dates were different.

Each cloak was fastened about the neck with a brooch like a green leaf veined with silver.
`Are these magic cloaks?' asked Pippin, looking at them with wonder.
`I do not know what you mean by that,' answered the leader of the Elves.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

Sunflower
Valinor

Oct 7 2007, 1:13am

Post #86 of 96 (2287 views)
Shortcut
Geeking out [In reply to] Can't Post

Ha ha, we are just so crazy. Here we are arguing over the logistics of magazine delivery....Smile Well I may as well chime in....I live in Albany, NY, (just 2 1/2 hrs north of NYC) and around 6 PM yesterday checked pharmacies (the local CVS), some grocery stores, the Barnes and Noble, and two Borders stores. Only Barnes and Noble had it. I used to work in that particular store too; I can tell you that ET was put usually put out Fri afternoon, certainly by 5 PM. Yet they were already down to 4 issues or so from a stack. We must have a lot of TORNsibs still active here:)

Patty, ROFL....now I can't get that song out of my headCool

I can't help but think that, paradoxically, every win for the Jackson camp is a plus for the film's chances.

1) It strengthens PJ's hand and puts a crimp in the NL's finances at a time when not only does every penny count, but the head honchos at Time Warner are eying this case with laser vision. THEY don't want this spinning out much longer....after all, they're the ones talking about buying up the company when Shaye's and Lynne's contracts run out.

2)As PJ wins these high-profile cases it makes him stronger and with more room to negotiate, while generating more bad press for NL and thus for them. It's in their interest to wrap this up asap, before thin35.)gs begin to snowball. The Entertainment Weekly article (a major cover story, just on this verdict alone!) will further persuade them to put the thumbscrews on Shaye. Interestingly, the article itself points out that ET is owned by TW (on pg 35.) I wonder if someone from TW secretly commissioned the story, as a shadowy way of pressuring Shaye.

3)NL is under pressure to produce, and produce fast. What this may mean for PJ's directing chances, no one can know. But hopefully a deal to extend the rights is in the works.
At this point, I've been fantasizing about a January announcement: PJ, Fran and the NL crew lined up for a photo op, cameras flashing, in which PJ begins by announcing, "I have some good news, and I have some bad news...." the good news being the Hobbitis being made, and I'm directing it, but principal photography will not begin until 2011 (I have to do TInTIn first)..." In which case we will all be biting our nails for the next 3 yrs wondering about the health of Ian and others...but hey, Iet's just GET to that point first!!!!!!Crazy

4)As Jackson gains more room to maneuver with such results, slowly being backed into a corner. The onus is thus on them. If the opposite were true, any "outside parties" might well be turning the screws on PJ and his team, which would be easy to do. He would be the one drawn to the negotiating table,and with the judgement of the world's media on his head. Weakening PJ with cuort losses would give NL more freedom to do what they want, such as choosing directors.

Sunflower
Valinor

Oct 7 2007, 1:17am

Post #87 of 96 (2295 views)
Shortcut
PS Nienna [In reply to] Can't Post

If you're an avid film follower, here's a GREAT website:

AwardsDaily (Formerly known as Oscarwatch), ...www.oscarwatch.com

I've followed the Oscars every yr since Titanic, and this site has been around 10 yrs or so. Great clips, links to reviews, and the Discussion section is the best part.

Oh...and PPS: my favorite quote about the Hobbit so far: from an interview he gave for FilmScore Monthly.com a few months ago, Howard Shore was asked if he had been "fantasizing" about a score for "The Hobbit", and Shore replied with a smile and one word:

"YES"

THAT, folks, has given me the chills more than ANYTHING.

O Eru, please preserve the good health of a) Ian, b) Chrisopher Lee (at least until PJ can get some footage of him doing the White Council --and that he and PJ can mend their hard feelings; and c) the wonderful Howard Shore....

(This post was edited by Sunflower on Oct 7 2007, 1:24am)

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Oct 7 2007, 2:37am

Post #88 of 96 (2278 views)
Shortcut
Magazine delivery in Hawaii is spotty at best. [In reply to] Can't Post

Magazines that are sent by 2nd class mail on the mainland get here erratically. The New Yorker, which I subscribe to, is always at least a week late, and sometimes several weeks elapse and then 2 or 3 magazines arrive. Newsweek, on the other hand, is apparently printed and mailed here, since it always arrives right on time.

Son of Elizabeth in Frodo's tree
March, 2007

Elizabeth is the TORnsib formerly known as 'erather'

Sunflower
Valinor

Oct 7 2007, 3:03am

Post #89 of 96 (2283 views)
Shortcut
New Yorker [In reply to] Can't Post

Speaking of The New Yorker, Elizabeth, you mention that your issues tend to arrive a week late.If such is the case, you probably haven't yet seen the cover of this week's issue---the one with the latest Iran story by Seymour Hersch. If you haven't, prepare yourself.

I saw this cover in a bookstore and my eyeballs just about imploded. The fact that it's the NEW YORKER, for Pete's sake, makes this image all the more damning. NOT their usual fare. I mean, with that artwork style....

To non-Yanks on here, I don't know if you can get a picture of the cover on their website or not, (Probably yes, ) that pretty much sums up U.S. politics right now. And it's no doubt a good thing that the Iranians won't understand the "footsie" thing, if they did, God knows what the reaction would be. Before the Craig scandal, of course, most Americans wouldn't have understood it either.

I merely mentioned this to Elizabeth b/c she subscribed to the New Yorker; if anyone manages to set their eyes on the cover and doesn't understand the full meaning of it, I'd be happy to briefly shed some light, though it IS OT for this thread.

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Oct 7 2007, 5:49am

Post #90 of 96 (2256 views)
Shortcut
You mean... [In reply to] Can't Post

this one? Stretching a bit, I fear.

No, I don't have it, but it's on their web site.

Son of Elizabeth in Frodo's tree
March, 2007

Elizabeth is the TORnsib formerly known as 'erather'

(This post was edited by Elizabeth on Oct 7 2007, 5:57am)

Sunflower
Valinor

Oct 7 2007, 8:27am

Post #91 of 96 (2257 views)
Shortcut
Yep. [In reply to] Can't Post

And I take it you understand the full insinuations of the piece. Pretty savage stuff. You have to see it up close too.

Doing such pieces on heads of stte (however crazy, etc, they may be) is not usually their style. It threw me for a loop, I have to admit.

BTW, my sister just got back from a trip to Hawaii last month. Lucky you! What island do you live on? After reading James Michener's novel when I was a kid, I REALLY wanted to go....esp to see places like Lahaina.

I imagine the cost of living must be very high, for haoles, at least.

Daughter of Nienna
Grey Havens

Oct 7 2007, 9:25am

Post #92 of 96 (2281 views)
Shortcut
That clears up a lot... [In reply to] Can't Post

...and makes sense, too. I wouldn't expect every city to get their Mags at the same time..or every store either. It's good to have the picture pinted from behind the store front. Thanks

Daughter of Nienna
Grey Havens

Oct 7 2007, 9:41am

Post #93 of 96 (2278 views)
Shortcut
I only subscribe to EW... [In reply to] Can't Post

and it tends to come to a week before the newstand date. this issue under discussion is dated the 12th, I got it the fifth.

When i email our group on special issues of interest: LotR, HP, Lost, actors projects from LotR, Etc. I always give the relevant data to identify th ecorrect issue: Date, issue #, Issue title, Artile title an dpage numbers... and wha tthe image is on the cover. Ther eis a delayed delivery between teh time I get it and the time it shows up at newstands.

Lucky for Squire he lives or works in NYC and this issue was deliverd to stand yesterday. Then that is NYC. We live in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. Everythign takes a longer time to get here. It always amazes me that my EW come early. Smile

I do agree about the spottiness of delivery... sometimes I miss getting an issue when it's supposed to come, but not often. Especially now I pay my supbscription with my creditcard and applied for autmatic re-subscription. I rarely get interruptions anymore.

Daughter of Nienna
Grey Havens

Oct 7 2007, 9:50am

Post #94 of 96 (2278 views)
Shortcut
Oahu [In reply to] Can't Post

Honolulu is on Oahu. Lahaina is on Maui.

cost of living must is high, but not all that much from the Bay area, which is wher I moved her from. In fact the Bay area is highe in some ways, like in property costs.

Sunflower
Valinor

Oct 8 2007, 11:38am

Post #95 of 96 (2286 views)
Shortcut
A request. [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry if this is OT but I have something that's personal in nature quite sudden that I just HAVE to vent about, but I'd rather not discuss it on TORN. You guys (and this site) area wonderful distraction but, well, I have to stop being distracted for a while.)

Please mail me at cochrane_tina@yahoo.com if you want....

Daughter of Nienna
Grey Havens

Oct 8 2007, 7:21pm

Post #96 of 96 (2265 views)
Shortcut
PM me [In reply to] Can't Post

send me a Personal Message (PM).

Click on my name to the right... at the bottom right of that page there is a link to send me a PM.

DoN

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.