Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Entertainment Weekly Talks 'Hobbit' - BIGTIME!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Elven
Valinor

Oct 5 2007, 7:45pm

Post #51 of 96 (4540 views)
Shortcut
Thankyou!!! // [In reply to] Can't Post

The Road Goes Ever On and On ...
Happy 70th Birthday to The Hobbit!!

Tolkien was a Capricorn!
..*sing & sway* "All we are saying ..Is Give Pete A Chance" ...
"Your friends are with you Peter"
Let the Hobbit Happen!!!

jimdorey
The Shire

Oct 5 2007, 7:54pm

Post #52 of 96 (4567 views)
Shortcut
*Sigh* No Falsehood to that rumor either! [In reply to] Can't Post

Semantics! Wow. I would have expected better. A little ego bruised are you? "No truth to the rumor" is spinning my post as if it were nothing but imagination. I take offense to your insinuation. First it was that I posted a link to my blog which was bang-on subject to the original post - oh, thats SPAM! Now it is that you don't believe my source. Frankly, I could care less what you think.

I cover more than just LOTR (though I am just as big a fan as anyone). I am interested in all things 3D. Not the old stuff, but the new exciting digital 3D. My sources come at it from a different angle than yours obviously as I deal with James Cameron's AVATAR (Weta CGI), Spielberg/Jackson's Tintin (Weta CGI), etc. I have internal sources in New Zealand and that's as far as I will go on that subject.

Your readers (and the knowledge contained in this forum) are the strength of theonering not the front page. Despite your asking, I will not submit my news items for you to place on your front page rather than post in the forums. Use your own "higher class" sources. We'll see whats what soon enough; who is smiling and who is not.

Patty
Immortal

Oct 5 2007, 7:59pm

Post #53 of 96 (4488 views)
Shortcut
Oh you're welcome... [In reply to] Can't Post

we're all in this together.Cool

For Gondor!

Xoanon
PTB

Oct 5 2007, 8:10pm

Post #54 of 96 (4615 views)
Shortcut
hey now [In reply to] Can't Post

hey now, don't get tetchy, I never said you made up the story. I just know what my sources told me...and my sources are pretty well in the know...But many things can and will happen in the next days/weeks/months...but as of right now, Peter does not have The Hobbit on his slate.

Michael Regina
Editor in Chief/Segment Producer
PH: 514.947.5221
http://www.TheOneRing.net
http://www.KongisKing.net
http://www.TheOneLion.net
http://www.gallifreyone.com

(This post was edited by Xoanon on Oct 5 2007, 8:20pm)

SandWitch King
Rohan

Oct 5 2007, 11:09pm

Post #55 of 96 (4514 views)
Shortcut
You are exactly right [In reply to] Can't Post

We are involved, to a small degree, because we are the ones with the money!

You are right, this publicity and response definitely is a factor.

No wonder all writers want to direct: one still has to put up with a load of nonsense, but even if wearing two hats (writer and director), there is one under which one is not called a thief and then raped - David Mamet

Nazger
The Shire

Oct 6 2007, 2:15am

Post #56 of 96 (4543 views)
Shortcut
That big of a deal? [In reply to] Can't Post

Geepers. What a mess.
To me, all the article seems to be saying is that New Line and Jackson aren't shouting at each other anymore. I'm not sure this is worth the cover of EW.

diedye
Grey Havens

Oct 6 2007, 3:10am

Post #57 of 96 (4510 views)
Shortcut
I'm confused... [In reply to] Can't Post

I just picked up the Entertainment Weekly for this week and it is NOT of the Hobbit. It has three different covers of the cast of THE OFFICE and there is no 7-page spread inside. Is it possible that the Hobbit issue is out NEXT week?

(This post was edited by diedye on Oct 6 2007, 3:12am)

Rogash
Bree

Oct 6 2007, 3:16am

Post #58 of 96 (4541 views)
Shortcut
If Peter Jackson... [In reply to] Can't Post

I respect Peter Jackson's projects,but if he likes more Tintin than Bilbo it may be very discouraging...
Because if he haven't time to direct the Hobbit and he makes Tintin,it will be very so sad...

Xoanon
PTB

Oct 6 2007, 3:21am

Post #59 of 96 (4483 views)
Shortcut
You did not pick up the right copy [In reply to] Can't Post

The cover is on the front page.

Michael Regina
Editor in Chief/Segment Producer
PH: 514.947.5221
http://www.TheOneRing.net
http://www.KongisKing.net
http://www.TheOneLion.net
http://www.gallifreyone.com

diedye
Grey Havens

Oct 6 2007, 3:49am

Post #60 of 96 (4544 views)
Shortcut
I've got a sneaky suspicion... [In reply to] Can't Post

... that, for some reason, the Hobbit issue will only be arriving here next week, which is kinda stupid, if you ask me, if we're just about an hour away from the U.S. border. Our "new" copy of EW is the Oct.5 issue which just hit the magazine racks here today. This is so weird. We usually get them at the same time as Americans.

Daughter of Nienna
Grey Havens

Oct 6 2007, 6:31am

Post #61 of 96 (4491 views)
Shortcut
Newstand issues come later than subscription issues [In reply to] Can't Post

by my experience.

I have a lot of experience with this with my Tolkein group. I have had a subscription of EW for many, many years. I often send out emails to my group regarding relevant articles of interest. By my experiene, they come out 4 days to a week after I get them delivered to my house. Subscription people get first crack.

This issue is dated for the 12th, not the 5th. So, basically it does not have to it newstands until the 12th which is the end of next week. Just give it a few days then try again.

My last experience, for example, was after the last Harry Potter book came out... there was a special collector's Issue. I had people frantically asking me to scan and print or xerox my copy because they couldn't find it. I explained the situation, they relaxed and it showed up in a few days.

You will know the issue right away...
The cover has a screen shot of Gollum in the rocks looking sinister, it fills the whole page.

Issue title: "Return of the Hobbit?"
issue date: October 12, 2007 (today is Oct 5)
issue number: #958
Article Title: "Can there be peace in Middle-earth?"
Article pages: 28-36 (total: 7, not countng ad pages)

DoN
Heart

**Tribute: Lt. J.G. Robert Sterling, WWII Pilot MIA, by Gramma & DoN**
Art Gallery Revised, Aloha & Mahalo, Websites Directory

Nienna: “ those who hearken to her learn pity, and endurance in hope . . . All those who wait in Mandos cry to her, for she brings strength to the spirit and turns sorrow to wisdom." — Valaquenta

(This post was edited by Daughter of Nienna on Oct 6 2007, 6:34am)

Daughter of Nienna
Grey Havens

Oct 6 2007, 6:44am

Post #62 of 96 (4507 views)
Shortcut
the issue is dated the 12th, not the 5th [In reply to] Can't Post

and people with subscriptions get them before they hit newstands, not the same day.

see my post down board...
http://newboards.theonering.net/...forum_view_expanded;

*waves with a big smile*

DoN
Heart

Nienna: “ those who hearken to her learn pity, and endurance in hope . . . All those who wait in Mandos cry to her, for she brings strength to the spirit and turns sorrow to wisdom." — Valaquenta

Sunflower
Valinor

Oct 6 2007, 6:54am

Post #63 of 96 (4520 views)
Shortcut
WOW.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Yep, I've too had an EW subscription for yrs. I tend to get them the same day they're out on the stand.

I will say this: It was a Friday afternoon and at the bookstore that carried the issue, they were already sown to 3 or 4 copies from a stack already, and I saw a couple people reading it. I did a pop o wheelie and said to my self, "If this is NOT in my mailbox whenj I get home..." LOL. I wanted it, my precious, NOW.

All I can say is, I stand by my earlier "George Lucas/sandstorm" theory. Gramma will recall that this was a phenomenon that happened to George Lucas in Tunisia every one of the times he was on the eve of filming Tatooine scenes. Four times, on the the night before filming was due to start, a huge sandstorm would roar in and destroy the sets. The first time this happened in 1977 Lucas freaked, he thought the whole thing was doomed, to quote Threepio. But in 2005 it was the crew that freaked, but Lucas laughed, "OH, don't worry, this is good luck!" In other words, the sandstorm was a good divine sign aobut the film's prospects.

I've alkways said that it seems there HAS to be epic industry turmoil surrounding the initial stages of a legendary Tolkien adaptation being made! It doesn't seem to be any other way this point, this is a GOOD omen....lol

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Oct 6 2007, 7:41am

Post #64 of 96 (4488 views)
Shortcut
You don't need a paper copy. [In reply to] Can't Post

See my link below for an online versions.

Son of Elizabeth in Frodo's tree
March, 2007

Elizabeth is the TORnsib formerly known as 'erather'

Daughter of Nienna
Grey Havens

Oct 6 2007, 8:12am

Post #65 of 96 (6712 views)
Shortcut
new online article [In reply to] Can't Post

new online article

http://news.yahoo.com/...005/film_nm/rings_dc

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 6 2007, 1:26pm

Post #66 of 96 (4487 views)
Shortcut
It's not a matter of respect [In reply to] Can't Post

Peter has a signed contract to work on "TinTin". He has nothing, not even a phone call, about The Hobbit. Peter will honor his contracts even if he's prefer to do something else.

Each cloak was fastened about the neck with a brooch like a green leaf veined with silver.
`Are these magic cloaks?' asked Pippin, looking at them with wonder.
`I do not know what you mean by that,' answered the leader of the Elves.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 6 2007, 1:34pm

Post #67 of 96 (4451 views)
Shortcut
*snigger* Yeah... [In reply to] Can't Post

I figured that out when I finally found the "new" copy and it wasn't "the one"!!! *sigh* I can wait... not for long, though!!

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

My DragonCon 07 Report

Rogash
Bree

Oct 6 2007, 2:18pm

Post #68 of 96 (4448 views)
Shortcut
I have got a good idea ! [In reply to] Can't Post

If PJ haven't got the time for make Bilbo,he can be the third realisator for Tintin !
Do you understand all ?

Patty
Immortal

Oct 6 2007, 3:05pm

Post #69 of 96 (4462 views)
Shortcut
Do we know the date of this Charlie Rose show? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd like to think it was earlier this year, and that the movement in "the force" has been since this was filmed. Because both Shaye and Lynn were still real "guarded" in this interview.

For Gondor!

squire
Half-elven

Oct 6 2007, 3:49pm

Post #70 of 96 (4526 views)
Shortcut
It hit the newstands in midtown NYC at about 3:30 PM yesterday. [In reply to] Can't Post

I had my eye out for it thanks to Xoanon's warning. At 3:00 Friday afternoon, the first newstand I tried still had only last week's issue. Shortly thereafter at another subway stop I found my copy of the "Gollum" issue, and read it avidly while walking to my destination.

I probably would not have known about it otherwise as I don't usually read EW.

As noted here already, the article actually has very few hard facts. So why a big article on The Hobbit now?

A lot of the article actually informs the reader about just what The Hobbit is, its plot and characters, and how it relates to The Lord of the Rings. I'm guessing it is aimed at folks who loved the LotR films, but who have never read and never will read a word of Tolkien's books. It is, in other words, laying the groundwork for marketing the new movie. This is the first mainstream media alert to EW's readership and other media audiences, that The Hobbit exists and can be expected in a few years.

Entertainment Weekly is hardly a neutral reporter, and this article did not just pop up out of some fans' excitement about a property that has been in play since 2003. EW is owned by Time Warner, who also owns New Line. One can scarcely help concluding that Time Warner knows perfectly well that New Line is finalizing a settlement with Peter Jackson. The vast and synergistic marketing army of Time Warner is at last being mobilized.

Even the extensive discussion of the "second movie" indicates that the deal will include that venture as well - otherwise I think the article would not have allocated any space to it.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'.
Footeramas: The 3rd TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion; and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

Elven
Valinor

Oct 6 2007, 4:38pm

Post #71 of 96 (4496 views)
Shortcut
What date is the trial in January ... anyone know? [In reply to] Can't Post

Why do I feel there will be a disappointing result somewhere along the line before things get better?

Elven x

Tolkien was a Capricorn!
Let the Hobbit Happen!!!

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 6 2007, 4:49pm

Post #72 of 96 (4456 views)
Shortcut
Because... [In reply to] Can't Post

... in the past one year we've been let down so many times that we're just being wary now?

Seriously, in the past year, every small bit of good news has been followed by just plain bad news, so even I'm tending to be a bit "pessimistic" and it's beginning to annoy even me :) I'm trying to restrain my excitement until everything's concrete, but it's so hard when you're a geek.

"Crows and Gibbets! What is the house of Eorl but a thatched barn where brigands drink in the reek and their brats roll around on the floor with their dogs! You are but a lesser son of greater Sires."

Patty
Immortal

Oct 6 2007, 5:03pm

Post #73 of 96 (4460 views)
Shortcut
You mean... [In reply to] Can't Post

It's Hard Out There for a Geek?

sorry. I couldn't help myself.Evil

For Gondor!

Elven
Valinor

Oct 6 2007, 5:58pm

Post #74 of 96 (4494 views)
Shortcut
Well no, but ... [In reply to] Can't Post

I understand what you are saying ... but Im not of the same perspective, Ive seen it as basically positive and moving in the right direction with little disappointment in the way things have progressed.
I wasnt meaning to come across pessimistically (sp?) ... I wont waver on this issue - Peter Jackson will do the Hobbit, in his own capacity!! (IMHO)
but I dont trust New Line - Bottom Line - what is their definition of a healthy approach and outcome. What is their standard of compromise ...
Win, loose, or draw, Peter or NL, the dynamics have changed. The legal side of this is growing and seems disproportional to the initial request of the audit, and over taking the expectation of the film. Maybe the Hobbit story was to lift it away from the legals .. and the trial in January, yet now both the NL/Jackson legals and the Hobbit Movie are heavily intwined at the moment, where as before they were relatively seperate issues - although connected at the hip. They were bound to collide at some stage - just curious of the type of damage that does ...
I think results in January will bring a swift ending to all of this, but will it mean another 'ending' to the Hobbit?
Im looking forward to some new beginnings ... but not in exchange for a less than fair result and outcome in the courts, and to everyone involved.
How idealistic am I??!!

Everything that happening will make a great Ringers II film anyway!! Hope thats happening!! LOL!

Im just interested in the next move - this is like chess - its stategic ...

Tolkien was a Capricorn!
Let the Hobbit Happen!!!

Elven
Valinor

Oct 6 2007, 6:02pm

Post #75 of 96 (4453 views)
Shortcut
So true!! We loose much sleep!!! :D // [In reply to] Can't Post

Tolkien was a Capricorn!
Let the Hobbit Happen!!!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.