Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Fan Art:
Okay, I can't figure it out.

WonderBroad
Lorien

Feb 24 2007, 10:42pm

Post #1 of 9 (476 views)
Shortcut
Okay, I can't figure it out. Can't Post

Could someone please tell me how to post artwork so that it will show up in the body of the post, instead of as a link at the bottom of the post? I simply cannot figure it out.

Thanks.

WB

linkin-artelf
Lorien

Feb 24 2007, 11:00pm

Post #2 of 9 (371 views)
Shortcut
this is what I did [In reply to] Can't Post

This is what I figured out from TORn201.
Just write this in the body of the post:

It should work.
Look forward to seeing it.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
"I walk along the shore and I gaze
At the light that radiates down
Will it travel forth to you
Far across this shimmering sea?"
formerly linkinparkelf

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 24 2007, 11:15pm

Post #3 of 9 (343 views)
Shortcut
Write a red X? *grin* [NT] [In reply to] Can't Post

Silverlode

Between the acting of a dreadful thing
And the first motion, all the interim is
Like a phantasma, or a hideous dream:
The genius and the plan thus inspired
Depart me and I, entering a room,
Find myself on the threshold, stand still
And wonder what I came to do there.

Daughter of Nienna
Grey Havens

Feb 25 2007, 1:21am

Post #4 of 9 (341 views)
Shortcut
some help [In reply to] Can't Post

I had an incredible amount of trouble.

First I am on a Mac using Safari web browser, which means that I can’t access the “Advanced Editor” which means that I cannot use the ‘Upload feature’. It took far too many hours of frustration before another artist explained that to me.

Which Editor you are interfacing with makes a difference. Now if you are on a PC, make sure you are in Advanced Editor, and have a web Browzer that supports that. Others will have to tell you more about that aspect. The way to tell is that there is supposed to be a button under the message window that you can toggle between to two editors. If that is not there that you can only get Basic.

You need the Advanced Editor to upload or you can use Mark-Up. HTML doesn’t work. You can use both in Basic Editor. I can only get Simple Editor but I still had to reset my Display Settings in Edit Profile. Since I am using Basic Editor, I reset my default setting to ‘Mark-Up and HTML’ and my editor to ‘Basic’.

Torn 201 can be found in the welcome section. Scroll down to “#2.20 How do I add a picture to a post?” I would copy paste but it include necessary links for further assistance.

Because I could not upload, I had to figure out how to use PhotoBucket. Great news: the site tells you exactly what dimension to use and gives you different dimensions for different purpose. That was the hardest part for me.

So, in PhotoShop I adjusted my images sizes accordingly. I eventually settled 500 pixels for the longer dimension. If you don’t have PhotoShop, someone else will have to tell you how to do that part.

Once my images were in PhotoBucket I have an URL to use. They give 3 URLs use for different purposes: URL Link, HTML Tag, IMG Code.

I used the ‘IMG Code’ URL and placed it inside the Mark-Up for images…to be found on the list for Get Mark up help. That link is part of the #2.20 section in Torn 201.

This is necessary in Advanced editor. In Basic you can use either Mark-Up or HTML.

I hope this helpful.

I won’t log back in till Monday.

Websites Directory, my drawings,Aloha & Mahalo

Nienna: “ those who hearken to her learn pity, and endurance in hope . . . All those who wait in Mandos cry to her, for she brings strength to the spirit and turns sorrow to wisdom." — Valaquenta

WonderBroad
Lorien

Feb 25 2007, 3:00am

Post #5 of 9 (348 views)
Shortcut
Thank you all, but... [In reply to] Can't Post

I still can't get it to work.

I have a PC and have been uploading the image from my hard drive. I followed the instructions to insert the image, but...no picture. I don't know why this isn't working.

This has given me a headache, so maybe I'll try again tomorrow.

Thanks again.

WB

diedye
Grey Havens

Feb 25 2007, 4:11am

Post #6 of 9 (332 views)
Shortcut
Try this... [In reply to] Can't Post

In your post,

1) Click on the Choose button

2) Select the file from your PC that you want to upload

3) Press the Upload attachment button

4) When it is done, in your actual post, type this, replacing filename with the name of the attachment you uploaded:

[inline filename]

Example:

[_inline sharpe.jpg_] (without the _ near the brackets) =

Got it?

Attachments: sharpe.jpg (221 KB)

linkin-artelf
Lorien

Feb 25 2007, 6:39am

Post #7 of 9 (333 views)
Shortcut
oops, that wasn't any help [In reply to] Can't Post

Let's see if I can write it differently to avoid the dreaded X
write image inside these brackets []
next write in the URL, not underlined
then write /image inside these [] again
and that should do it.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
"I walk along the shore and I gaze
At the light that radiates down
Will it travel forth to you
Far across this shimmering sea?"
formerly linkinparkelf

Daughter of Nienna
Grey Havens

Feb 25 2007, 6:48am

Post #8 of 9 (351 views)
Shortcut
are you in Advanced Editor? [In reply to] Can't Post

Uploading won't work if you are not in Advanced Editor. If you have a PC, you should be able to access Advanced Editor. If not then it might be your web browzer. And if you can't upload then use the mark up codes, they should work because they have nothing to do with what computer you use.

I know exactly what you are are going through. I spent all last Saturday, and was so stressed. I ached all over, head included. I got away form it a day.

After a break, start first with trying to access Advanced Editor. you won't get anywher with uploading without it . Allaira posted a screenshot of what it should look like: That whol thread is my questions and answers about the same problems.

http://newboards.theonering.net/...b=post_time;so=DESC;

When I saw that, I knew I did not have Advanced Editor because I did not have that long green button under the window, nor did I have row of text editing tool on the top of the window. If you do not have that Green button, then there is now way to switch to Advanced Editor, that means that you will have to upload somewhere else, then post here using mark-up. the mark-up is as easy as HTML, it is on the link I sent you. before you try uploading,

Good Luck
DoN

Websites Directory, my drawings,Aloha & Mahalo

Nienna: “ those who hearken to her learn pity, and endurance in hope . . . All those who wait in Mandos cry to her, for she brings strength to the spirit and turns sorrow to wisdom." — Valaquenta

(This post was edited by Daughter of Nienna on Feb 25 2007, 6:52am)

WonderBroad
Lorien

Feb 26 2007, 1:38am

Post #9 of 9 (360 views)
Shortcut
Had to go to photobucket [In reply to] Can't Post

I had to go to Photobucket, because I just couldn't figure out how to insert an image into the message/post (which is what I preferred to do.)

Anyway, I'll post my Strider picture in another thread.

Thank you all for your input!

WB

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.