The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Sean Astin Willing, But Not Hopeful For 'Hobbit' Role:

calisuri
PTB

Oct 5 2007, 9:43pm

Post #1 of 9 (3557 views)
Shortcut
Sean Astin Willing, But Not Hopeful For 'Hobbit' Role: Can't Post

'The Hobbit' discussion continues as The MTV Movie Blog has caught up with LOTR cast member Sean Astin (Samwise Gamgee). Check out what everyone's favorite savior or Middle-earth has to say:

Cate Blanchett talk Hobbit"I've said since before we started making the movies and have never wavered for a second that 'The Hobbit' would get made," Sean Astin -- who portrayed Samwise Gamgee -- insisted, while out promoting his new film, "The Final Season." "The fanbase wants it. There's too much money to be made doing it. It seems like maybe the time is now."

There is a lot more over at MTV, check it out!

MTV Movie Blog

The Mysterious Calisuri

(This post was edited by calisuri on Oct 5 2007, 9:47pm)

Elven
Valinor

Oct 5 2007, 10:33pm

Post #2 of 9 (2136 views)
Shortcut
I wish the title of the blog ... [In reply to] Can't Post

had been different Tongue

Its a timing thing ... as mentioned in the article ... Sams not born yet Blush

But our ever hopeful Sam is as faithful in his resolve that the Hobbit will be made.
Nice to see his name about ... and a new movie too!!

The Road Goes Ever On and On ...
Happy 70th Birthday to The Hobbit!!

Tolkien was a Capricorn!
..*sing & sway* "All we are saying ..Is Give Pete A Chance" ...
"Your friends are with you Peter"
Let the Hobbit Happen!!!

Rivendweller
Lorien

Oct 6 2007, 2:07am

Post #3 of 9 (2096 views)
Shortcut
Nothing ever dampens his spirits. [In reply to] Can't Post

Heart Sean is still Sam is his heart. I love that about him. It is a pity that he cannot return in some form or fashion. Perhaps he could play a younger Gaffer and at least put in a cameo someplace?

Whether because Frodo was so worn by his long pains, wound of knife, and venomous sting, and sorrow, fear, and homeless wandering, or because some gift of final strength was given to him, Sam lifted Frodo with no more difficulty than if he were carrying a hobbit child pig-a-back....
Frodo opened his eyes and drew a breath....'Thank you, Sam,' he said in a cracked whisper. 'How far is there to go?' --RotK, "Mount Doom"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Formerly A'amel from days gone by.

Nazger
The Shire

Oct 6 2007, 2:29am

Post #4 of 9 (2080 views)
Shortcut
Stick with The Hobbit characters [In reply to] Can't Post

I really hope they don't try too hard to give LOTR characters cameos in The Hobbit. The only characters that belong there are Bilbo, Gandalf, Elrond, Gollum, Gloin and...I think that's it. I don't even think I'd want to see Legolas in Mirkwood in the movie.

Poor Tom.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 6 2007, 2:37am

Post #5 of 9 (2055 views)
Shortcut
Or maybe a Dwarf? [In reply to] Can't Post

He'd make a good Balin, imho...and you'd never recognize Samwise beneath a beard!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Only I hear the stones lament them: deep they delved us, fair they wrought us, high they builded us; but they are gone. They are gone. They sought the Havens long ago."
(Avatar pic: The Calanais stones, Isle of Lewis)

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

silneldor
Half-elven

Oct 6 2007, 4:22am

Post #6 of 9 (2052 views)
Shortcut
Wanna bet! [In reply to] Can't Post

Sly
Even under a ton of make-up you cannot hide those eyes.

"Tolkien, like Lewis, believed that, through story, the real world would become a more magical place, full of meaning. We see its patterns and colors in a fresh way. The recovery of a true view of the world applies both to individual things, like hills and stones, and to the cosmic - the depths of space and time itself. For in sub-creation, in Tolkien's view, there is a "survey" of space and time. Reality is captured on a miniature scale. Through stories like The Lord of the Rings, a renewed view of things is given, illuminating the homely, the spiritial, the physical, and the moral dimensions of the world."

Tolkien and C.S. Lewis- The Gift of Friendship -Duriez

May the grace of Manwë let us soar with eagle's wings!

In the air, among the clouds in the sky
Here is where the birds of Manwe fly
Looking at the land, and the water that flows
The true beauty of earth shows
With the stars of Varda lighting my way
In all the realms this is where I stay
In the realm of Manwë Súlimo
By El~Cugu

From the website: 'The Realm of Manwe'

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 6 2007, 12:54pm

Post #7 of 9 (2059 views)
Shortcut
*cups hand to ear* [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't hear any bodacious females singing...

I'm hoping WHEN Peter does the two films (whether it's as director or executive producer) that he could take the journey right up to the time of Bilbo's Party. We see a Ranger in the treeline watching the Shirelings; Merry and Pippin inflict their mischief onto their neighbours and their potatoes, mushroom, etc; Sam's working with the Gaffer in the Bag End gardens; Frodo's wandering off whilst Bilbo impatiently calls out for him... all the activities that tie in comments and actions of the Hobbits at the beginning of the film; Drogo... all of our hobbits and their distant relations.

Show Saruman and Gandalf's relationship (Gandalf's trust); Bilbo and Gandalf in happier times; Arwen, Elrond, Galadriel, Celeborn, Haldir, Shadowfax, Asfaloth; Denethor, Boromir, Faramir, Finduilas, Beregond; Theoden, Grima, Eowyn, Eomer, Theodred, Eomund... oh you get the idea.

Any or All of the characters that were mentioned in Tolkien's works that joined the two stories together through reference, HoMe, Unfinished Tales, or the Appendices could be brought into play. With Peter, Philippa and Fran... anything is possible. Even Sean Astin reprising Sam.

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

My DragonCon 07 Report

Morwen
Rohan

Oct 6 2007, 8:47pm

Post #8 of 9 (2021 views)
Shortcut
Maybe he could appear at the beginning [In reply to] Can't Post

Telling Bilbo's story to his children, or reading to them from the Red Book. A bit like the Peter Falk character in The Princess Bride.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I've heard your anguish, I've heard your hearts cry out
We are tired, we are weary, but we aren't worn out
Set down your chains, until only faith remains
Set down your chains--Jewel

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 7 2007, 12:35pm

Post #9 of 9 (2052 views)
Shortcut
That would be fun! [In reply to] Can't Post

I've thought that would also be the way to get Ian Holm's Bilbo into the story, too ;)

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

My DragonCon 07 Report

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.