Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
With the success of Game of Thrones HBO series...do we perhaps have more hope for Silmarillion TV series one day ?
Poll: With Game of Thrones HBO series...do we perhaps have more hope for Silmarillion TV series one day ?
yes, I have more hope for Silmarillion on TV now
no, The Hobbit will surely be the last Tolkien work on screen
no, I'd rather place my bets on Children of Hurin movie instead
maybe but only after decades and the copyright of the Tolkien Estate for the books expires
View Results (41 votes)

xy
Rohan

May 11 2012, 6:26pm

Post #1 of 21 (487 views)
Shortcut
With the success of Game of Thrones HBO series...do we perhaps have more hope for Silmarillion TV series one day ? Can't Post

So ? What say you ?

(This post was edited by xy on May 11 2012, 6:27pm)

DanielLB
Immortal

May 11 2012, 7:11pm

Post #2 of 21 (205 views)
Shortcut
Game of Thrones [In reply to] Can't Post

I've never watched it, but I can't see why there would be a link between it and a Silmarillion TV series.

I doubt there will be a remake of TH or LOTR in our lifetime. I can see a CoH film being made in a good few many years. But after 2013, I think it's the last of Tolkien we are going to see Frown

Darkstone
Immortal

May 11 2012, 7:59pm

Post #3 of 21 (227 views)
Shortcut
Not in my lifetime. [In reply to] Can't Post

The Hobbit, LOTR, and official Hobbit/LOTR fan-fics are all we're ever going to get until the copyrights run out.

Considering that copyright expiration is an unreachable horizon pushed ever forward by Walt Disney Company lawyers, I don't expect that to happen anytime within the next couple of centuries.

(The latest such extention was the Micky Mouse Protection Act of 1998. How ironic that the continuing purity of Tolkien's other writings is being preserved by that damnable mouse!)

kiwifan
Rohan

May 11 2012, 11:49pm

Post #4 of 21 (202 views)
Shortcut
I don't know Game of Thrones [In reply to] Can't Post

either the novels or the TV series so I can't say whether there are any similarities between GoT and the Silmarillion. The latter, however, contains so very many different characters, races, places, and has no continuous storyline but many different stories (it not being a novel like LotR or TH, more like a history of Arda and its peoples and godlike beings etc.) which are loosely connected, that I can't see the Sil being transferred to either the big screen or TV. Besides, I would think it's on the whole too 'dark' in tone, too 'heavy' (sorry, I can't really find the right words to describe what I mean) to appeal to mass audiences. That goes for CoH as well ---- I read it once and felt really oppressed by the sad story and tragic characters. I can't see studio executives going for that, and to radically alter it and give it a happier ending to please the audience would be violating Tolkien's story to an intolerable degree.

And that's not even mentioning the copyright problems which Darkstone has already explained.

DanielLB
Immortal

May 12 2012, 8:17am

Post #5 of 21 (307 views)
Shortcut
The Silmarillion [In reply to] Can't Post

That is the thing - if there was to be a film or TV series based on the Silmarillion, I imagine it will be barely recognisable as the Silmarillion. Is so complex, shifting from characters and places quickly and some chapters only loosely connected.

I don't want it made for the sake of it being made. I want it to be done justice, and at the moment, I'm not sure anyone (not even myself!) could do it!

sam90
Lorien

May 12 2012, 6:17pm

Post #6 of 21 (179 views)
Shortcut
Silmarillion [In reply to] Can't Post

I am really not sure what I think of this so I've not voted. First of all I've not read Games Of Throne nor seen the series so I can't comment on it but I did heard that the show has sucess on TV. And as it is of High Fantasy kind and that doesn't stop it to have this sucess it certainly raise eyebrows and maybe give some kind of hope that if a good quality TV show based on The Silmarillion was ever created it might also be sucessful. But I should say that there is so much factor based on speculation for that matter that it is hardly possible to say anything for sure of this subject. There is also the copyright matter that is legetimate and could kill the slightest idea of this for the present if it doesn't allow it. So, I don't think it is irrelevant to talk about possibilities of such a project but for now it remains but speculations.

(This post was edited by sam90 on May 12 2012, 6:25pm)

malickfan
Gondor

May 14 2012, 9:04am

Post #7 of 21 (193 views)
Shortcut
Hmm... [In reply to] Can't Post

It's such a complex book, with well over a dozen storylines shifting between different persepectives, and set over 500 years, personally I don't think any TV series could do it justice unless they simplified it alot- WHICH I AM DEAD AGAINST.The complex nature of the plot is one of the reasons why I like it so much, lets face it...it is essentially unrelated to the angle Jackson's films have taken, and it would only be of serious intrest to hardcore Tolkien fans, any attempt to simplify it would rob it of its beauty- and how would they set up Mogroth, the Valar, the sundering of the elves?- all things they skipped over in the trilogy (The only way I could see it working is Bilbo reading the translations to a young frodo and sam), and things which wouldn't make alot of sense to non- book readers. But on the other hand there are some staggering images- the elves crossing the Helcraxe, Earendil's voyage to Valinor etc which could be amazing if done right...

To do it justice you'd need 30-40 hour and a half episodes, but if they stayed too close to the book it might be a bit boring for some viewers.

Put simply I don't know how I feel!Wink

But I don't think the copyright issue will get sorted out for ages anyway....

Annael
Half-elven

May 17 2012, 2:17pm

Post #8 of 21 (144 views)
Shortcut
don't see it happening [In reply to] Can't Post

too disjointed to provide a suitable "plot," and not enough of a fan base for a series featuring the individual tales.

DanielLB
Immortal

May 17 2012, 2:21pm

Post #9 of 21 (139 views)
Shortcut
Fan base [In reply to] Can't Post

Does that really matter these days, seeing how anything will get made these days? Wink

What kind of fan base did Game of Thrones have before it was filmed? I'd never even heard of it before Crazy

Annael
Half-elven

May 17 2012, 2:26pm

Post #10 of 21 (144 views)
Shortcut
well, here's a good measure [In reply to] Can't Post

has it ever been mentioned on Big Bang Theory?

I know a lot of people who were into "Song of Ice and Fire" long before it got on HBO - but I only encounter Sil fans on this forum.

(This post was edited by Annael on May 17 2012, 2:26pm)

DanielLB
Immortal

May 17 2012, 2:29pm

Post #11 of 21 (146 views)
Shortcut
..... [In reply to] Can't Post

I haven't seen Big Bang Theory either Blush I'm a hermit....

No I get that there are very few people who have read (and enjoyed!) the Silmarillion. People are more open-minded to fantasy these days though. With regards to your first post, I would have thought it wouldn't be successful because it is disjointed, rather than pulling in an audience.

Darkstone
Immortal

May 17 2012, 2:39pm

Post #12 of 21 (163 views)
Shortcut
Of course the biggest problem.... [In reply to] Can't Post

...is that if the producers think it's too disjointed they'll decide to "fix" it. Picture the title as the only thing they keep from the book.

(Still, The Two Trees as giant robots has a certain appeal....)

DanielLB
Immortal

May 17 2012, 3:33pm

Post #13 of 21 (177 views)
Shortcut
If that were the case.... [In reply to] Can't Post

What would Ungoliant be?!

Darkstone
Immortal

May 17 2012, 3:55pm

Post #14 of 21 (158 views)
Shortcut
Gamera [In reply to] Can't Post

(This post was edited by Darkstone on May 17 2012, 3:57pm)

DanielLB
Immortal

May 17 2012, 3:58pm

Post #15 of 21 (175 views)
Shortcut
You do make me chuckle Darkstone :-D / [In reply to] Can't Post

Finwe
Lorien

May 18 2012, 11:37pm

Post #16 of 21 (145 views)
Shortcut
The Sil is a lose/lose [In reply to] Can't Post

It's my favorite Tolkien book and I would love to see it made as a TV series, but I don't see it ever happening. As others have stated, the copyrights are the biggest obstacle. Even in that roadblock was removed, there would still be two problems. Either someone would want to make it true to the book, in which case no network/studio would make it cause it has a miniscule market. Some Tolkien fans don't even like the Sil. the only way it would get made is as a bastardized version, which I wouldn't want to see.

If I ever win the lottery, the very first thing I would do with the money is finance a production of the Sil based strictly on the book, along with some of the UT/HOME info as needed. So if anyone wants to buy me lottery tickets. Wink

DanielLB
Immortal

May 18 2012, 11:46pm

Post #17 of 21 (150 views)
Shortcut
Only if you give me a leading role [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
If I ever win the lottery, the very first thing I would do with the money is finance a production of the Sil based strictly on the book, along with some of the UT/HOME info as needed. So if anyone wants to buy me lottery tickets. Wink

Cool

malickfan
Gondor

May 30 2012, 4:13pm

Post #18 of 21 (133 views)
Shortcut
If I ever won the lottery... [In reply to] Can't Post

...I'd send you moeny to fiance it as wellSmile

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

Jun 2 2012, 11:41am

Post #19 of 21 (87 views)
Shortcut
CoH film all the way :D [In reply to] Can't Post

Cool

billzy2
The Shire

Jun 5 2012, 4:01am

Post #20 of 21 (89 views)
Shortcut
possible Silmarillion tv show [In reply to] Can't Post

I would think we will never see a tv series but hopefully a movie. The whole Feanor vs. the Valar is quite intriguing also his battle against Melkor. I f they smell LOTR money in it then they will find a way to get it done.

Elizabeth
Valinor

Jun 5 2012, 4:46am

Post #21 of 21 (201 views)
Shortcut
At least... [In reply to] Can't Post

...not in CT's lifetime. Maybe the next generation agrees, maybe not. But at some point (and long before the copyrights expire) there may be younger Tolkiens who would welcome the right kind of deal. Royd, for example, went to NZ during filming, was an extra, attended several LotR cons, and seems quite open to the idea.

I think the appropriate format would be to craft segments of the story into "seasons" of a sufficient length to tell one story in a certain number of 60- or 90-minute episodes. We've seen with Sherlock that as few as 3 could be a "season", while other shows have seasons much longer, depending on the content.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.