Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Walk to Rivendell and Beyond: There and Back Again Challenge!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Arandiel
Grey Havens

May 10 2012, 5:56pm

Post #1 of 73 (1472 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell and Beyond: There and Back Again Challenge! Can't Post

Greetings, fellow TORn Travelers! I begin with a quote from my newly rediscovered copy of The Hobbit:
"The next morning was a midsummer's morning as fair and fresh as could be dreamed: blue sky and never a cloud, and the sun dancing on the water. Now they rode away amid songs of farewell and good speed, with their hearts ready for more adventure, and with a knowledge of the road they must follow over the Misty Mountains to the land beyond." (54)

And a bit of a dilemma as well: tracking our progress, I find that we are well ahead of where we need to be to reach the Lonely Mountain by December 2013. Should we continue as we begun and keep that as our goal? Or should we get ambitious, and add the return trip to our goal? (and if we do, shall our end point be Rivendell or Bag End?) What say you?

There and Back Again
Group Challenge Progress

Miles covered last week: 202
Cumulative miles: 6048.08
Miles along the journey: 403.21
Miles out of Rivendell: 6

Yes, we have a new line on the progress chart, for we have left the Last Homely House for the wilds of the Misty Mountains. SmileCrazy Bilbo & Company have new provisions and ponies, and renewed energy for the journey. And we have cleaner houses, mending bodies, races run, and gardens growing; but most of all, we have excellent company on the Road!

My progress:
Miles covered this week: 4
Cumulative miles: 266
Goal: There and Back Again!

Sorry, gramma - I do have lots of revising/finishing to do on my thesis. BUT, my argument is sound, so it's a matter of cleaning up rough patches. And I had lots of meeting, erranding, and other such hop-in-the-car-and-go-sit-somewhere stuff this past week, so I have poor mileage as well. sigh. At least some of it was weeding mileage after the much-needed soaking rains earlier this week. Alassea, I hope you get some soon, too!

Beamer's progress:
Miles covered this week: 7
Cumulative miles: 267
Goal: Group Challenge

Lucky kid - Beamer had a dance tech rehearsal this past weekend (part of my sitting-around, taking notes so I can help backstage at one of the performances), and she and her brother will have dress rehearsals and performances galore this coming weekend. Now if they'll just practice a bit a home in the next couple days... Tongue

Arandiel

The Scoop on the Walk
The TORn Walk to Rivendell thread meets right here on Main, on Thursdays.
Learn about TORn's There and Back Again Challenge

The Eowyn Challenge/Walk to Rivendell (and beyond) is a Middle-Earth-related fitness group that began in March 2003, and has been going on with walkers around the world ever since. TORn's Walk is open to all people and healthy types of activity. Please visit the Eowyn Challenge site, especially the main page and the Walk page, for more information. Useful links, including mileage charts compiled by the late Karen Wynn Fonstad, are on the Tools page.
Helpful activity conversion charts: grammaboodawg's Handy Conversion Aids
Notta's Super-Duper Walking-Equivalents Chart
http://www.nutristrategy.com/activitylist4.htm
Walk to Rivendell's TORn-up Postcards (courtesy of grammaboodawg)
Eowyn Challenge Login Page to register miles

If you use the Eowyn Challenge site to track your progress, please update your mileage via the login page, and be sure to keep a backup record, in case Warg attack, Wizard-induced blizzard, or other fell calamity causes the Shields page to crash.

Walk to Rivendell: There and Back Again Challenge - getting thirteen rowdy Dwarves, one grumpy Wizard, and a beleaguered Hobbit from Bag End to the Lonely Mountain

Join us, Thursdays on Main!

(This post was edited by Arandiel on May 10 2012, 5:58pm)

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

May 10 2012, 6:11pm

Post #2 of 73 (1136 views)
Shortcut
Finally found my way out of the goblin tunnels [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, my ankle is feeling better after some much needed rest, but my butt is sore from my mom's stationary bike. You win some you lose some, I guess. Cool

Miles this week: 19
Cumulative miles: 521

I'm out of the goblin tunnels and have rejoined the dwarves. We're on our way again.

How will you get to the Lonely Mountain?
Help TORn log enough miles to get us to Smaug's home by Dec. 2013
Walk to Rivendell - Thursdays on Main

My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive

Arandiel
Grey Havens

May 10 2012, 7:17pm

Post #3 of 73 (1122 views)
Shortcut
Here's hoping for "all well" really soon, and [In reply to] Can't Post

Woohoo! AD has left the buil... er, nasty goblin cave!

Walk to Rivendell: There and Back Again Challenge - getting thirteen rowdy Dwarves, one grumpy Wizard, and a beleaguered Hobbit from Bag End to the Lonely Mountain

Join us, Thursdays on Main!

HappyHobbitess
Rohan

May 10 2012, 9:14pm

Post #4 of 73 (1121 views)
Shortcut
Go us!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Wow, good for us! I'm all in favor of setting a more ambitious goal, but I'll go with whatever everyone else thinks.

And I love the quote, Arandiel! What a great sending forth! If we have to leave Rivendell, it might as well be done just as described!

Much less gloomy week in the Happy Hobbitess' corner of the Shire. I'm trying to get out and walk as much as possible right now. Our trip to Alaska is quickly approaching, and I feel like the more I walk, the more ready I'll be once we get there. Mr. H.H. has pointed out that if I really wanted to prepare, I'd have us out hiking the gorges, which is probably true, but I'm vaguely nervous I'll do myself in before we even get there. So I'm doing long, but mostly flat walks at the moment. Plus, I'm keeping up on the swimming. My class is over, so I'm back to lap swimming three days a week.

This week: 23.4
Grand total: 625.25

"Yes, but what about SECOND breakfast?"

silneldor
Half-elven

May 10 2012, 11:07pm

Post #5 of 73 (1126 views)
Shortcut
I think we ought to, i feel bad, [In reply to] Can't Post

since it probably my crazed hobby of being a endurance freak, (i am a running fool [from Forrest Gump]) perhaps we ought to forge ahead, see Bard issue a bit of jubilant justice and head for home. Remember there is that end run up north to circumvent Mirkwood
Perhaps i could just add my running mileage and forgo the rest. Perhaps i could cut my mileage appropriately due to my own whimsical wandering off on side explorations. That would be likely, knowing me. I am unsure what to do. I can stand to be advised.

I seem to haveEvilanother 50 miles but with no 'cesspool rowing' and no roof taringAngelic. TTL mileage 1498Blush

''Sam put his ragged orc-cloak under his master's head, and covered them both with the grey robe of Lorien; and as he did so his thoughts went out to that fair land, and to the Elves, and he hoped that the cloth woven by their hands might have some virtue to keep them hidden beyond all hope in this wilderness of fear...But their luck held, and for the rest of that day they met no living or moving thing; and when night fell they vanished into the darkess of Mordor.'' - - -rotk, chapter III

Faerie contains many things besides elves and fays and besides dwarfs, witches, trolls, giants or dragons; it holds the seas, the sun, the moon, the sky; and the earth, and all things that are one in it: tree and bird, water and stone, wine and bread, and ourselves, mortal men, when we are enchanted."
ó J.R.R. Tolkien

May the grace of ManwŽ let us soar with eagle's wings!

In the air, among the clouds in the sky
Here is where the birds of Manwe fly
Looking at the land, and the water that flows
The true beauty of earth shows
With the stars of Varda lighting my way
In all the realms this is where I stay
In the realm of ManwŽ Sķlimo

"The original sin is to limit the Is. Don't" - Richard Bach

Delrond
Rohan

May 11 2012, 2:44am

Post #6 of 73 (1120 views)
Shortcut
A solid week. [In reply to] Can't Post

Greetings again! I took it easier than normal this week, but still managed 25.6 miles between running, circuit training and tennis. If guitar playing counted, I'd have another 10 hours to factor in.

I think sil's mileage is what's putting us way ahead. I vote for a more ambitious goal. Next up for me is to build up endurance to have a competitive 5 mile time in 1 month, which means I should be logging more miles over the next few weeks.

In gardening news, I got nothin'. But I was rootin' for AE's lettuce.

Miles covered since last week: 25.6
Cumulative miles: 483.6
Goal: There and Back Again!

A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

Delrond
Rohan

May 11 2012, 2:50am

Post #7 of 73 (1124 views)
Shortcut
Go for it. [In reply to] Can't Post

If you've got the time and energy, keep on truckin'. We can make it back!

Cess pool rowing builds character.Wink

alienorchid
Lorien

May 11 2012, 7:55am

Post #8 of 73 (1116 views)
Shortcut
No miles to contribute this week [In reply to] Can't Post

although I have been keeping active. I just haven't been logging any of it in my notebook.

I couldn't make it to the pool this week, since uni work got on top of me (yet again!) but I went to an awesome gig last night and danced for about 4 hours! It was great to see the new event centre at university in action. We've been without a good venue since the quake made the main students' association building unsafe for use.

I absolutely love that quote from The Hobbit. It paints such a beautiful picture!! I hope that's how I feel after getting all this work done - with my heart ready for more adventure (and exercise) and knowledge of the road ahead!

JRandomRohirrim01
The Shire

May 11 2012, 10:43am

Post #9 of 73 (1104 views)
Shortcut
Hi, I'd Like to Rejoin the Walk to Rivendell [In reply to] Can't Post

I did the Walk for Rivendell for a while around the very beginning - 2003 or 2004. I lost track of it. Since then, we moved from a suburb to a development in a rural area. I've been more semi-employed/working from home/doing volunteer work over the last few years, and have been trying to increase my walking. For a while, I did a mile a day a few days a week. Recently, though, I've been pushing a little harder and am doing 3 miles a day a few times a week, and tracking my walking and other workouts on mapmywalk.com (and that's a very useful resource).

Walk Mileage (4/29-5/5): 19 miles
2012 Walk Mileage: 135 miles

Rough estimate, 2004-2012: 800 miles

HappyHobbitess
Rohan

May 11 2012, 12:42pm

Post #10 of 73 (1092 views)
Shortcut
Aww, don't feel bad, Sil! [In reply to] Can't Post

Your mileage is awesome and an inspiration! I think we just need to adjust our ambitions accordingly. Reach for the stars, or go for the gold...or something! Wink

HappyHobbitess
Rohan

May 11 2012, 12:43pm

Post #11 of 73 (1090 views)
Shortcut
Welcome! [In reply to] Can't Post

...Or I guess, welcome back! Smile

AlassŽa Eruvande
Valinor

May 11 2012, 2:31pm

Post #12 of 73 (1119 views)
Shortcut
This Week In Gardening [In reply to] Can't Post

or "TWIG" as Delrond calls it. Laugh

We finally got a decent amount of rain this week. Starting last Saturday night to today, we've gotten about 3 inches. That is outstanding. We're still below normal, but I have found that it's often about when it rains, not just how much. So here are a few pics from my garden:

This is my garden. My father in law set the posts and ran the wire. Mr. Eruvande and the kids built the gate and trellis. The kids and I planted the crops.
This is the lettuce and corn. See how good the lettuce looks? It's amazing what a little natural water and cool temeratures can do. (I say "natural water" as opposed to hose water. The plants just don't like our water much. It's full of lime and quite hard.)
Here are the carrots, with garlic on the right near the red stake, jalapeŮos and banana peppers on the left, and radishes running around the whole plot. The radishes are a great kid crop. They never fail, and sprout almost as soon as you get the seeds covered up.

Here we have the tomatoes and watermelons. The watermelons are on the little mound in the foreground. That little short tomato in the middle is a patio variety, and it has red tomatoes on it! I may give them another day before I pick them. I pick them slightly before they are ready so the birds don't discover them and peck them. Those crazy mockingbirds are the worst. They'll peck a tomato once, and then leave it. But the tomatoes have been loving this week's weather. Rainy and cool at night.

I also promised butterfly pictures so here we go:

Here is the caterpillar munching away on milkweed.

Here is the chrysalis shortly after the caterpillar formed it.

Here is the same chrysalis getting closer to emerge time. Note the darker color and the "jewels".

This is the other chrysalis just minutes before the butterfly came out. You can see the wing details.

Here is the first one to emerge. That's The Little Goblin and Little Eruvande.

Ta-Da! The second one comes out.

We put the first one outside. It's right there on the stick between the boys.

This is the second one to emerge.

A souvenir.

Last weekend we played another round of Saturday afternoon Smack-Down. (street hockey) I also gardened a bit.

Miles this week: 10.2 miles
Cumulative: 308.3 miles

And I vote for continuing the journey homeward, once we reach the Lonely Mountain. I also think some smarty should figure out how the BO5A converts to walking miles and then we can do that, too! Cool

And suddenly the Tornadoes saw afar off a greenlight, as it were a cloud with a living heart of flame;
and they knew that this was no vision only, but that PJ had made a new thing: The Hobbit, the Film that Is.

AlassŽa Eruvande
Valinor

May 11 2012, 2:32pm

Post #13 of 73 (1103 views)
Shortcut
I feel your pain. [In reply to] Can't Post

It took about two weeks on the spin bike for my rear end to quit hurting.

And suddenly the Tornadoes saw afar off a greenlight, as it were a cloud with a living heart of flame;
and they knew that this was no vision only, but that PJ had made a new thing: The Hobbit, the Film that Is.

AlassŽa Eruvande
Valinor

May 11 2012, 2:43pm

Post #14 of 73 (1097 views)
Shortcut
But you're making up for us slackers! [In reply to] Can't Post

I think you should still count everything. Once we get to the Lonely Mountain, you can run a few laps around it to use up some of your mileage. And some smarty needs to figure out the walking mileage for the BO5A, and we can count that! Cool

AlassŽa Eruvande
Valinor

May 11 2012, 2:44pm

Post #15 of 73 (1098 views)
Shortcut
The lettuce got a reprieve! [In reply to] Can't Post

We got a little rain and cooler weather this week. See my post below for pictures. Smile

AlassŽa Eruvande
Valinor

May 11 2012, 2:50pm

Post #16 of 73 (1091 views)
Shortcut
You danced for four hours! [In reply to] Can't Post

That should totally count for mileage!
Let's see...according to Notta's chart, Ballet, twist, jazz, tap, for one hour, is the same as 3.8 walking miles.

Ball-room dancing, fast, is the same as 4.7 walking miles.
Ball-room dancing, slow, is the same as 2.5 miles.

So just guestimate from that to figure out your miles. I guess it depends on how "enthusiastic" your dancing was! Laugh

AlassŽa Eruvande
Valinor

May 11 2012, 2:50pm

Post #17 of 73 (1083 views)
Shortcut
I remember you! Welcome back! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Delrond
Rohan

May 11 2012, 3:19pm

Post #18 of 73 (1093 views)
Shortcut
I was wondering [In reply to] Can't Post

if it ended up as horse food. Looks like a very nice garden. Have the rabbits and squirrels managed to finagle a way through/under your fence yet? My brother had a similar fence (~4 feet tall) around his garden a few years back and had a deer jump right over it. It was all over but the crying at that point and my nieces didn't disappoint. Shocked

alienorchid
Lorien

May 11 2012, 3:23pm

Post #19 of 73 (1097 views)
Shortcut
Wow!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I am impressed and more than a little jealous of both your garden and your butterfly experience!! Lovely pictures!

My tiny little garden has been neglected but is full of flowers (even though we're well into Autumn now) and my swan plant never made it to a size that could sustain the caterpillars living on it.

Delrond
Rohan

May 11 2012, 3:31pm

Post #20 of 73 (1104 views)
Shortcut
You have a trampoline? [In reply to] Can't Post

That giant red thing in the background. I can guess where the birthday parties are held. Smile

AlassŽa Eruvande
Valinor

May 11 2012, 3:48pm

Post #21 of 73 (1118 views)
Shortcut
Well, that fence is probably closer to eight feet tall. [In reply to] Can't Post

We have a deer situation, too, but not as bad as before we got big dogs. The dogs also run off the rabbits and squirrels.
Here is my father in law, with plenty of supervision, last year jack hammering the holes for the fence posts. We live in Central Texas, which used to be a sea bed during the Cretaceous Period, so below about 2 feet of soil we have solid limestone rock. Not the easiest substance to set posts in. (That's all the while rock lying around.)

The fence is more to keep the horses out now, when we let them graze in the front pasture. But I have to worry about my roses and Mexican petunias more than anything. One of the horses will eat the rose flowers right off the bush and chews the Mexican petunias to the ground. He is not shy about tromping all over the flower beds. I've even had him looking right in my kitchen windows a couple of times. So I laid down the law with my Father in law: no horses up by the house unless he is watching them and runs them off the flower beds! Crazy

AlassŽa Eruvande
Valinor

May 11 2012, 3:51pm

Post #22 of 73 (1098 views)
Shortcut
Giant red thing... [In reply to] Can't Post

That is actually my neighbor's property. It is the folded up cover of their pontoon boat. The building is their garage. In that same picture, my house would be behind you.

My kids really want a trampoline, but those same neighbors have one, so why should we get one? I just send them next door! Sly

AlassŽa Eruvande
Valinor

May 11 2012, 3:53pm

Post #23 of 73 (1093 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, gardens are a lot of work, but so worth it!

HappyHobbitess
Rohan

May 11 2012, 6:56pm

Post #24 of 73 (1081 views)
Shortcut
your garden is so far along! [In reply to] Can't Post

Wow, we can't even plant our tomatoes yet because we are still worrying about frost! Guess that's less of a worry in Texas, huh? It's wonderful to see your garden prospering, especially knowing how much work you put into it. I hope you are soon able to enjoy the fruits of your labor...and the veggies of your labor too!

I have to say, growing one's own watermelon would be awfully fun. I guess other people around here grow melons...I suppose we could too. See, now you are giving me ideas!

And of course, I loved the butterfly pics. What a great thing to witness!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 11 2012, 6:58pm

Post #25 of 73 (1081 views)
Shortcut
*snigger* Revisions are never done! [In reply to] Can't Post

One day you have to declare it "FINISHED" and just walk away!! Good for you!

As for our goal, I think we should just keep walking until we run out of road! Then we could start following the Fellowship all over the place.

I have charts finished for the return home from the Lonely Mountain. There's one from the Mountain to Beorn's, then from Beorn's to Rivendell, then to Bag End. I've tried to ask the Eowyn Page people if they'd like to have them or if they'd mind if we use them, but I've never gotten a response.

So I'll get them loaded up somewhere (maybe my geeky observation site) and make them available in case someone needs them :)

Here's my headway... been REALLY better this week!

Miles covered: 33
Cumulated miles: 726
Goal: #2 Unexpected Journey Individual Challenge and contributing to the Group :)
Weeks to go: 31 until December 14, 2012

I've still walking through Mirkwood with the others. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz It's getting kinda old ;)

Thanks lots for taking such good care of us, Arandiel!! See you on the road everyone!

sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.