Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Entertainment Weekly Talks 'Hobbit' - BIGTIME!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 5 2007, 2:13pm

Post #26 of 96 (2555 views)
Shortcut
"It would break their hearts" [In reply to] Can't Post

This is NOT just a movie (or two), is it :) My bloodpressure's been spiked ever since I saw this!

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

My DragonCon 07 Report

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 5 2007, 2:20pm

Post #27 of 96 (2574 views)
Shortcut
There ya go! [In reply to] Can't Post

That's the bottom line!!! I'll go see a PROPER set of films over and over and over and over until it's imprinted on my eyeballs! Anything less than that... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

sample sample

My DragonCon 07 Report

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 5 2007, 2:22pm

Post #28 of 96 (2560 views)
Shortcut
I stopped at 3 stores [In reply to] Can't Post

on the way into work this morning. No luck. *whimper* Let's just say, come 3:30pm, stay off the roads. I'm coming through!

*twitch*

sample sample

My DragonCon 07 Report

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 5 2007, 2:27pm

Post #29 of 96 (2580 views)
Shortcut
I saw it as [In reply to] Can't Post

more of a prep/update for future reporting. That way WHEN the real story hits (coming through us, of course) it'll have more impact and less explanation... I hope.

JUST GIVE ME THE FACTS!

I keep waiting to see a letter from Peter in the TORn inbox any day now...

sample sample

My DragonCon 07 Report

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 5 2007, 2:29pm

Post #30 of 96 (2579 views)
Shortcut
I'm still shaking my head at that one [In reply to] Can't Post

Fantastic! Astounding! Heroic! Typical Peter Jackson!

Hence... Indymoot. We're so lucky to have him as our lead-geek.

sample sample

My DragonCon 07 Report

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 5 2007, 2:34pm

Post #31 of 96 (2581 views)
Shortcut
WOW! [In reply to] Can't Post

"BS: Initially it was all about money. We have nothing to gain from duplicity in accounting. We welcome audits. I don't think we've ever been sued by anybody because we've always settled." Well... duh! That's why they haven't been sued (completed at least)... not because they were innocent!

BS is right! (not the man... the letters) I smell something...

Thank you for this! I'm going to watch for rePETEs! :D

sample sample

My DragonCon 07 Report

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 5 2007, 2:52pm

Post #32 of 96 (2533 views)
Shortcut
It's there now! // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample sample

My DragonCon 07 Report

jimdorey
The Shire

Oct 5 2007, 3:04pm

Post #33 of 96 (2722 views)
Shortcut
My Internal Source: Jackson Directing and all litigation to be DROPPED... [In reply to] Can't Post

My internal source has informed me that not only will Jackson be directing but all litigation will be DROPPED. Entertainment Weekly stopped short of saying that. It all hinges on continued good faith discussions and an announcement could be coming soon.

-jim

Jim: Don't spam the boards with ads for your site..

(This post was edited by Xoanon on Oct 5 2007, 3:09pm)

Elven
Valinor

Oct 5 2007, 3:15pm

Post #34 of 96 (2588 views)
Shortcut
Well!! If they think they can win the Hobbit Pride Comp with that entry .... [In reply to] Can't Post

they just might! ... WinkLaugh

It would be nice to see Fran Walsh Direct - (just a thought)

Im going to try and order the EW copy from the newsagency .... and get to some of the links ...
off to read, then back for Fiesta Friday ...

Oh! ... is there some difference with Gollums nose on the cover article? ... has he had plastic surgery on it ... it just looks different somehow ...then agian its 1:00am :P

Elven x

The Road Goes Ever On and On ...
Happy 70th Birthday to The Hobbit!!

Tolkien was a Capricorn!
..*sing & sway* "All we are saying ..Is Give Pete A Chance" ...
"Your friends are with you Peter"
Let the Hobbit Happen!!!

Patty
Immortal

Oct 5 2007, 3:35pm

Post #35 of 96 (2612 views)
Shortcut
From another article... [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't know there was a January trial date...

http://www.khaleejtimes.com/DisplayArticleNew.asp?xfile=data/theworld/2007/October/theworld_October173.xml&section=theworld&col=
Quote:

Hanging over the dispute like fog on the Shire is a planned film version of ‘The Hobbit,’ which New Line and millions of movie fans would love to see Jackson direct. If the sanction shifts momentum in the case, it could help facilitate a settlement (relations between the parties are rumored to have warmed recently). However, the stakes are so high and both sides have already spent millions litigating the case, so the January trial date still seems likely.
And let’s not forget that this lawsuit concerns only the first ‘Rings’ film. Any settlement probably would have to cover Jackson’s identical claims on the other two blockbusters, meaning that the dispute, like that ending sequence in ‘Return of the King,’ could keep going and going.

For Gondor!

Elven
Valinor

Oct 5 2007, 3:40pm

Post #36 of 96 (2591 views)
Shortcut
Do you mean Dropped as in .. [In reply to] Can't Post

completely dropped and there is no further legals? ... or do you mean a settlement of some source?
That may mean that they will be able to look at the books and go no further, but I dont think its that simple. Theres money involved Wink

so, I cant see that ... Why would the entire lawsuit be dropped?

I could see there being a commitment made and there are things in the works ...
I wish I could see the EW article ...
Maybe the script has been put in the hands of the Jackson/Walsh/Boyce camp, but I still dont get this as smooth sailing.

Tolkien was a Capricorn!
Let the Hobbit Happen!!!

jimdorey
The Shire

Oct 5 2007, 3:48pm

Post #37 of 96 (2760 views)
Shortcut
Dropped as in no more money exchanged on prior movies, only "The Hobbit" [In reply to] Can't Post

My original post had a link to my blog which is a big no-no apparently even when it is bang-on topic. My blog goes further into the reasoning behind it. The gist of it is that Jackson will receive more than a usual share of the percentage gross than what is normally accepted in the industry for a director of his stature. Remains to be seen of course, but it sounds reasonable.

deej
Tol Eressea

Oct 5 2007, 3:58pm

Post #38 of 96 (2558 views)
Shortcut
Interesting [In reply to] Can't Post

Considering how much money the studios stand to make from 'The Hobbit', i'm sure even a bump in pay to PJ will still leave them with quite a profit.

It's really been fascinating to see how this has all been played out over the past few years. I don't claim to know much about the movie industry, but it's like reading a soap opera!

Sincerely, deej - The Artist Formerly Known as djdeathskiss

Elven
Valinor

Oct 5 2007, 4:04pm

Post #39 of 96 (2524 views)
Shortcut
Thanks Patty .. [In reply to] Can't Post

Lots of interesting info in the article!

thanks for posting it.

Tolkien was a Capricorn!
Let the Hobbit Happen!!!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 5 2007, 4:29pm

Post #40 of 96 (2540 views)
Shortcut
*slaps hands over mouth* [In reply to] Can't Post

oh my.... jimd... if you're right, you have a new best friend!

It's going to happen, you know. It's just a matter of time.

*twitch*

sample sample

My DragonCon 07 Report

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 5 2007, 4:32pm

Post #41 of 96 (2565 views)
Shortcut
I'll bet [In reply to] Can't Post

behind the scenes, there's more to this than the money issue as far as Peter goes. He had a point to make on behalf of everyone (including some of the players from his films) to make sure NL comes clean in their dealings. I'll bet stuff's going on and will be going on in the future that will keep this sort of thing from happening again... at least if Mr. Jackson's involved.

sample sample

My DragonCon 07 Report

Elven
Valinor

Oct 5 2007, 4:44pm

Post #42 of 96 (2553 views)
Shortcut
Oh Yeah .. [In reply to] Can't Post

I believe that too gramma ... hand on your heart commitment stuff here ... principle and integrity ... and really, it seems to me what started out as a 'request' has been like a small pebble dropped in a large pond ...
The money could be well spent in the southern hemisphere though Wink
and another point totally maybe unrelated ...
the expended exchange rate for US dollars they are predicting to come very close to getting better ...
which means that this could become 'very' expensive ... a near $ for $ ... which it wasnt before .... I find that interesting as well ...
There maybe more factors to get this happening - but the money is playing out its own story ... and having impacts - or prescriptive impacts which could see this as a timing issue as well. The current financial situations are effecting alot of big business ...

Tolkien was a Capricorn!
Let the Hobbit Happen!!!

JRandomRohirrim
Rohan

Oct 5 2007, 4:59pm

Post #43 of 96 (2522 views)
Shortcut
Indeed! [In reply to] Can't Post

So I guess Bob is back to wooing Peter again?? ;->

Hey, it looks like I may be able to
kill the the boycottnewline.com
domain in the not-to-distant future!
http://www.boycottnewline.com

SandWitch King
Rohan

Oct 5 2007, 5:24pm

Post #44 of 96 (2522 views)
Shortcut
Exactly the way I see it - and a way to sell a lot of magazines {NT} [In reply to] Can't Post

No wonder all writers want to direct: one still has to put up with a load of nonsense, but even if wearing two hats (writer and director), there is one under which one is not called a thief and then raped - David Mamet

Elven
Valinor

Oct 5 2007, 5:51pm

Post #45 of 96 (2541 views)
Shortcut
But ... [In reply to] Can't Post

aren't 'we' (as a community) part of that process and evolution of the Hobbit coming to being, and some of the drive behind whats being put out there?

... and the buyers of the mags ... Wink

I think it may bring a few more people back to TORN and other sites just to see whats happening - like a bit of a nudge ...
to see Gollum on the cover brings it all back to those that have been lost from here maybe ...
it also keeps the Hobbit up front ..

and Shaye did mention he was looking into the publicity side of things ... promotion and such .... this is a good measuring stick ..
the build-up is looking well exectuted at the moment ... I think this is just the first of many!
Im wondering how many magazines will have something on the covers soon ...

It would be interesting to see what the sales figures are like, and what interest it generates ...

I believe its not only projection of the Hobbit movies success, but the cyber gaming market the Hobbit has to conquer and live up to as well ... theres all sorts of target markets to consider now ... the movie is the catalyst for such huge assocaited revenues ...

Woops ... off on a tangent again ...

But your thread title - I agree!!!

Tolkien was a Capricorn!
Let the Hobbit Happen!!!

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Oct 5 2007, 6:25pm

Post #46 of 96 (2607 views)
Shortcut
I found what appears to be his blog, [In reply to] Can't Post

...but don't see anything new in it.

Is Bob Shaye swayed? As posted earlier, I believe Peter Jackson will soon be announced as the director of "The Hobbit". I have heard from an internal source that a very generous percentage sharing deal with New Line is in the works concurrently with ongoing litigation between the two parties. Further, and here is the kicker: In return for the deal, the litigation that is pending between Jackson and New Line will be withdrawn. It all hinges on continued good faith dialogue between everyone involved.

Entertainment Weekly echoes my findings as well although they stop short of saying the litigation will be dropped. "There has been a détente,” says one insider. There is now the beginning of a discourse between Peter Jackson and New Line that’s running parallel to the litigation proceedings."

I suspect that the deal will be even more lucrative than what is expected for someone of Peter Jackson's stature to help him forget about the litigation. Hey whatever works. Just. Get. Him. Directing.

In particular, no source and no facts other than speculation, which we all can do.

Isn't this what that nice message from Jackson some months ago said he would never do?

Son of Elizabeth in Frodo's tree
March, 2007

Elizabeth is the TORnsib formerly known as 'erather'

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Oct 5 2007, 7:15pm

Post #47 of 96 (2584 views)
Shortcut
Here's a link [In reply to] Can't Post

to the online version of the article.

Son of Elizabeth in Frodo's tree
March, 2007

Elizabeth is the TORnsib formerly known as 'erather'

jimdorey
The Shire

Oct 5 2007, 7:22pm

Post #48 of 96 (2551 views)
Shortcut
Quote from Blog correct... [In reply to] Can't Post

Nothing new? Hmmm. Last I checked no one else had the goods on the litigation being dropped which certainly opens the door toward working together amicably. I thought it was quite exciting to get that piece of information. Yes, it is not official yet. No, I will not reveal my source. Yes, it may not pan out this way. I am merely passing on information that has not been known before. Let's all hope it does. And you are correct that is a quote from my blog.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 5 2007, 7:27pm

Post #49 of 96 (2554 views)
Shortcut
One of PJ's greatest strengths in business [In reply to] Can't Post

is that he's a natural deal-maker. He's focused on what he wants and, as far as I can see, he always gets there one way or another - whether it's telling New Line officials that he's sick so that he can sneakily finish filming Forgotten Silver or it's playing hardball with companies large and small that are standing in his way.

I've seen some articles in the NZ press - a few years ago now - where PJ was painted as the baddie for an action he had taken. But he got the result he wanted, and he has engendered enormous loyalty among his employees and colleagues. If anyone can get a film studio to toe the line that he draws, it's PJ.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Xoanon
PTB

Oct 5 2007, 7:29pm

Post #50 of 96 (2553 views)
Shortcut
No Truth to that rumor [In reply to] Can't Post

My sources (and I go out on a limb to guess they are much better than yours) say that there is nothing to that rumor..and everything right now is speculation.

Michael Regina
Editor in Chief/Segment Producer
PH: 514.947.5221
http://www.TheOneRing.net
http://www.KongisKing.net
http://www.TheOneLion.net
http://www.gallifreyone.com

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.