Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
SCOD: The Elrond Look

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

May 10 2012, 8:58am

Post #1 of 13 (846 views)
Shortcut
SCOD: The Elrond Look Can't Post

Welcome to this week's next screencap of the day! bigger version of photo: Here. Once again, I found it difficult to select a shot, however, I thought that it was high-time Elrond was focused on!

This is the classic, frequently used: Elrond Master of Intensity Look.

1. First of all, do you like this expression? (why/why not?)

2. A bit of speculation, but who do you think came up with it, Hugo Weaving the actor, or one of the production/direction team?

3. Take time to look around his head. (Sly) What features of Hugo Weaving work well/don't work well for Elrond?

Did you have a pre-concieved image of what Elrond would look like in the book? If so, how does it compare?

Thanks for having me this week! My pleasure :D

Xanaseb

Catch it, catch it, catch it! Dropped it... ...

Join us over at Barliman's chat all day, any day!

Join the Hobbit Character Elimination Game in the Arena! Tis great.

Once per hour you can add a point to a Hobbit character you like and also take away one point from another character until he reaches zero.
Currently up for Elimination: Radagast the Brown, Roäc the Raven and Ori!

(This post was edited by Xanaseb on May 10 2012, 8:59am)

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

May 10 2012, 9:39am

Post #2 of 13 (435 views)
Shortcut
Elrond/Hugo [In reply to] Can't Post

1. First of all, do you like this expression? (why/why not?) Yes, but I like everything about Elrond (well maybe not the wedding hair style from the extras!).

2. A bit of speculation, but who do you think came up with it, Hugo Weaving the actor, or one of the production/direction team? At this point, hard to say.

3. Take time to look around his head. () What features of Hugo Weaving work well/don't work well for Elrond? See answer to #1. I include Hugo Weaving in any discussion of Elrond -- They are rather joined.

4. Did you have a pre-concieved image of what Elrond would look like in the book? If so, how does it compare? Not really, but I do like Peter's ideas about Elrond rather than the ones I had before I saw the movies.

Just a side note, I never saw any other movie with Hugo Weaving, so my only experience of him has been as Elrond.

Darkstone
Immortal

May 10 2012, 1:41pm

Post #3 of 13 (409 views)
Shortcut
Perturbed as all get-out. [In reply to] Can't Post

As long as it’s not directed at me. Elrond still looks pretty p.., er, perturbed that his daughter stole a fellow Elf Lord’s horse out of the barn, nipped grandma’s sword off the wall, and ran off acting like she never heard of what happened to Celebrían and how it broke Daddy's heart. Then last night she broke curfew and snuck off to the Snoggling Bridge of Rivendell with dirty Mr. Scratchy Face.

Yep, he’s perturbed out of his gourd. He’s no doubt already decided to send Arwen off to the Undying Lands without her supper.

2. A bit of speculation, but who do you think came up with it, Hugo Weaving the actor, or one of the production/direction team?

I’d say like with Gandalf’s look, it was a group effort.

3. Take time to look around his head. ( ) What features of Hugo Weaving work well/don't work well for Elrond?

The piercing eyes are good, as well as the thin face. The lips convey the “Boy, I’m really perturbed!” look quite nicely.

It will be nice to see him smiling in The Hobbit. That is, unless Arwen does something else to set him off, like, say, suggesting Kili and Fili help her make a She-elf sandwich.

4. Did you have a pre-concieved image of what Elrond would look like in the book? If so, how does it compare?

Lessee: “He was as noble and as fair in face as an elf-lord, as strong as a warrior, as wise as a wizard, as venerable as a king of dwarves, and as kind as summer.” (The last may not count for much if you’re canoodling with his daughter in between times of trying to get her killed.)

Anyway, better than the rather thick-set Man of Bakshi or the bearded old coot of Rankin/Bass with the rouge solar system around his head. I’ve heard objections to Weaving’s associations with Mr. Smith in The Matrix, but, first, I’m a strong opponent of the Hollywood stupidity of typecasting an actor. (As Liv Tyler said, "That's why it's called 'acting'"!) And second, if we accept that objection then we have to do the same regarding Ian McKellen. That is, many fans thought McKellen was a bad choice because audiences would see “Gandalf” and think “Magneto”. (And they say Hollywood has a low opinion of audiences’ intelligence!) Frankly I didn’t recognize Weaving in the role. Afterwards I thought he was played by either John Hannah or Hugh Laurie until I looked at the credits.

BTW: "Pie".

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.”

Nuradar
Rohan

May 10 2012, 7:02pm

Post #4 of 13 (395 views)
Shortcut
Hugo is better than my imagined book Elrond [In reply to] Can't Post

At first, I found Hugo's protrayal very intense and a little off-putting. My memory of Elrond from the book was a more passive character. But when you realize the importance he plays in the Council, and with his history with Isildur, and the added complexity of his daughter giving up her immortality, it's easy to understand his intensity.

My money is on Hugo - he seems like he takes his acting very seriously.

3. Take time to look around his head. (Sly) What features of Hugo Weaving work well/don't work well for Elrond?
He has a very piercing stare and his eyebrows really accentuate that.

4. Did you have a pre-concieved image of what Elrond would look like in the book? If so, how does it compare?

Like I said above, I thought he would be more passive, but I really like Hugo's portrayal. He brings the perfect amount of intensity (scenes with Isildur and talking with Gandalf before the Council and giving Anduril to Aragorn in ROTK), leadership (the Council scene), and compassion (the scene with Arwen choosing to stay in ME).

aranelthehobbit22
Gondor

May 11 2012, 1:41am

Post #5 of 13 (342 views)
Shortcut
thoughts [In reply to] Can't Post

1. First of all, do you like this expression? (why/why not?) Yes Hugo Weaving is awesome (Mr. Anderson...) haha, well I must admit that there were times where I thought him a bit too harsh, but overall I don't think they overdid it

Someone probably told him to look (insert emotion here) and that's what came natural...
As this was one of the first films I ever saw Hugo Weaving in I didn't find any of the visual aspects overly off-putting or unnatural (with regard to the character) however every once in a while I find some of his ..."hair things" and bit...well feminine...
I saw the movies first, when I read the books I picture him looking much like movie Elrond, with a few mental adjustments that I can't quite describe

Harold.of.Whoa
Rivendell

May 11 2012, 2:36am

Post #6 of 13 (347 views)
Shortcut
The eyes have it (Sorry!) [In reply to] Can't Post

Overall, yes, although this particular frozen image is not exactly the one I envision as the quintessential Elrond Look.

I imagine it was collaborative, with Hugo establishing the final product.

Long ago, my mother told me that she thought wide-set eyes conveyed a look of intelligence. Hugo Weaving certainly has widely-set eyes, and I think that works well. The V-configured Spock brow is a little much in this picture. The care-worn aspect of the face is nearly perfect. The deep intensity of the eyes is perfect. The hair sets him apart from most of the other elves we see in the trilogy, which may connote his "Half-elven" status.

Here is what I think HW brings to the character that is important and fitting for the movie's particular story: He has a certain air of not-quite-jaded cynicism born of many defeats and "fruitless victories;" he conveys a sense of weariness of the sorrows of the world that would make one believe that he is ready to depart beautiful Rivendell and Middle-earth forever; he has gravitas suitable for the station and wisdom of Elrond, but not to the point of seeming aged in the way a wise old mortal would; he rides this wonderfully crafted line between detachment and passion.

There is a moment a few scenes prior to this where Weaving amazes me with the actor's craft of conveying a huge amount with the smallest expression. Gandalf tells him that it is in Men that "we must place our hope." Elrond says "Men? Men are weak," and gives this little flicker of an expression that makes it clear this isn't something he read about in some book; this is personal. It's personal from Isildur on the one end to Aragorn on the other, and HW tells us something about the story with awesome economy and power in just that half-second look of incredulity.

4.Did you have a pre-concieved image of what Elrond would look like in the book? If so, how does it compare?

Sorry, I didn't really have one. A final thought, though: I have come to think of Elrond as the Memory of Middle-earth, and all that implies. Hugo Weaving's characterization really works for me. I look at the screencap you selected, and I look in those eyes, and I can see that aspect of memory.

Nice job, again. Thanks, Xanaseb!

MatthewJer18
Rohan

May 11 2012, 2:43am

Post #7 of 13 (361 views)
Shortcut
I know some fans found him too acerbic, but... [In reply to] Can't Post

I think Hugo Weaving gave a very nuanced portrayal. One of my favorite scenes in the trilogy (from what I believe is the EE) is Elrond telling Arwen of what she will suffer should she choose to remain in Middle-Earth. In that scene alone, he shows such weariness of what the world will become one day when nature fails...and yet there's also a more understated, gentle love for Arwen.

(This post was edited by MatthewJer18 on May 11 2012, 2:44am)

FaramirAndEowynMorningStar
Rohan

May 11 2012, 4:15pm

Post #8 of 13 (346 views)
Shortcut
Well then... [In reply to] Can't Post

1. First of all, do you like this expression? (why/why not?): He looks concerned and firm. A very good pose I must say. Because he just instantly looks like a leader and is wise.

2. A bit of speculation, but who do you think came up with it, Hugo Weaving the actor, or one of the production/direction team?: Both perhaps. Not sure really, maybe it was just chance that he did that look and the production team liked it...

3. Take time to look around his head. What features of Hugo Weaving work well/don't work well for Elrond?: I don't think there is anything wrong. It all works well; I can't imagine anyone who could have played Elrond instead of Hugo actually.

4. Did you have a pre-concieved image of what Elrond would look like in the book? If so, how does it compare?: It compares pretty well for me. I did imagine him to be a little like this. The production team beats my imagination but he looks better than what imagined him to be.

I can't wait until The Hobbit is out so I can see Elrond again!
Wink

......"Since the first time I met you,
..I couldn't seem to forget you.
.......And lately I seem to find,
..That you're always on my mind.
.......Whenever I see you smile,
..It makes my life so very worthwhile.
......And ever since the very start,
.....You have always been there in my heart.
..Then I heard that you felt the same way,
......And those words were so easy to say."

GoodGuyA
Lorien

May 12 2012, 2:41pm

Post #9 of 13 (328 views)
Shortcut
Hugo Freaking Weaving [In reply to] Can't Post

I do, a lot. He made this scene carry with such astounding levity. Having seen his part in the War of the First Age helped a lot to know that he understood what was going on.

Who else but Hugo Weaving would make such an odd face like that? I think it went as that they wanted him to look distressed, and he went off and did his own odd expression, and PJ being PJ just kept it.

3. Take time to look around his head. What features of Hugo Weaving work well/don't work well for Elrond?

There's been some talk about his balding, and I'd lie if I said it wasn't something I noticed on occasion. I like the fan explanation though. Otherwise he's very much an old, hardened elf. In terms of adaptation, he seems way too stern, but in terms of his own character everything is emphasized. Great skin too!

Did you have a pre-concieved image of what Elrond would look like in the book? If so, how does it compare?

I never really remembered Elrond all that much. He was just kinda there, then not, like far too many characters in LotR. When I went back and read it, I was annoyed at how non-proactive he was, being much the stereotypical elf. The creative team brought Elrond some interesting character which, while not present in the book, stayed in lieu with his actions of the book. My only other real image of Elrond was that of the Hobbit cartoon... And I'd like to forget that.

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

May 13 2012, 9:22pm

Post #10 of 13 (280 views)
Shortcut
Interesting that no one really has much of a conflicting image of book Elrond vs. Film Elrond. [In reply to] Can't Post

I remember that I did have a conflict. My book Elrond looked a bit Native American......

OK don't ask me why lol

Save the dwarves from elimination in the Hobbit Character Elimination Game in the Arena! Tis great.

Darkstone
Immortal

May 16 2012, 1:27pm

Post #11 of 13 (283 views)
Shortcut
Like this? [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.cedmagic.com/...r-2-0807-elrond.html

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.”

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

May 16 2012, 6:38pm

Post #12 of 13 (268 views)
Shortcut
Yeah indeed!.... longer hair in my mind but yeah :D [In reply to] Can't Post

Cool

telain
Rohan

May 18 2012, 9:44pm

Post #13 of 13 (340 views)
Shortcut
eyebrows of doom [In reply to] Can't Post

I know it is an oft-used phrase for film-Elrond, but that was the first thought that crossed my mind when I looked at the screencap.

In the right context, it works. It certainly underscroes the intensity and importance of the Council and the course of action they are considering.

I would not, however, wish to be on the receiving end of that stare.

Based on no information, I muse that Weaving came up with the expression, but was directed to be "intense".

3. Take time to look around his head. What features of Hugo Weaving work well/don't work well for Elrond?

His eyes appear fathomless (i.e., works well.) Actually one of the things I love most about Weaving's Elrond is his voice: lovely and deep, sometimes soft, sometimes sharp. I think that is my favourite characteristic, in fact.

I'm sure I did, but it was likely an amalgamation of several of the animated images (which probably sounds like a rather strange image...I was young when I first read LOTR...) I think I was relieved to have a live action Elrond to imagine...

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.