Top 20 Quotes From "The Lord of the Rings"
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

News From Bree
spymaster@theonering.net

May 8 2012, 7:32am

Post #1 of 49 (29807 views)
Shortcut
Top 20 Quotes From "The Lord of the Rings" Can't Post

It's been more than a decade since the first of the films in Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings trilogy was released, and although fans are now eagerly anticipating a return to Middle-earth with his upcoming Hobbit films, well, one does NOT simply walk away from where it all began.

Today, we feature an article written for TheOneRing.net by guest author Leslie Martinka, Marketing Manager at Hark.com, the world's largest platform for pop culture quotes and images, on the phenomenon that is Tolkien's Lord of the Rings, and the top 20 quotes from Peter Jackson's films:
"My Precious", says Gollum through missing rotted teeth. His emaciated body is evidence of his life in Middle-earth as a slave to the One Ring. For the past 60 years, people have devoured the pages of The Lord of the Rings reading about characters such as Gollum, Frodo and Gandalf. Fans of the trilogy have made it one of the most beloved literary works of all time.

Hollywood revels in making classic books into movies, and it was a no-brainer to re-create Middle-earth and its inhabitants. Peter Jackson brought J.R. R. Tolkien's vision to life onscreen. Today, 12 years after the first The Lord of the Rings movie was released, fans still quote their favorite lines. In no particular order, below are our top 20 quotes from The Lord of the Rings.

"There is only one Lord of the Ring, only one who can bend it to his will. And he does not share power."
- Gandalf

"That there's some good in this world, Mr. Frodo... and it's worth fighting for."
- Sam

"Even the smallest person can change the course of the future."
- Galadriel

"The time of the Elves... is over. Do we leave Middle-Earth to its fate? Do we let them stand alone?"
- Lady of the Wood

"We swears, to serve the master of the Precious. We will swear on... on the Precious!"
- Gollum

"I am Gandalf the White. And I come back to you now... at the turn of the tide."
- Gandalf

"Oh, it's quite simple. If you are a friend, you speak the password, and the doors will open."
- Gandalf

"Well, what can I tell you? Life in the wide world goes on much as it has this past Age, full of its own comings and goings, scarcely aware of the existence of Hobbits, for which I am very thankful."
- Gandalf

"For the time will soon come when Hobbits will shape the fortunes of all."
- Galadriel

"There is no curse in Elvish, Entish, or the tongues of Men for this treachery."
- Treebeard

"I would rather share one lifetime with you than face all the Ages of this world alone."
- Arwen

"A day may come when the courage of men fails... but it is not THIS day."
- Aragorn

"The Ring has awoken, it's heard its masters call."
- Gandalf

"Your time will come. You will face the same Evil, and you will defeat it."
- Arwen

"The board is set, the pieces are moving. We come to it at last, the great battle of our time."
- Gandalf

"But the fat Hobbit, he knows. Eyes always watching."
- Gollum

"Mordor. The one place in Middle-Earth we don't want to see any closer. And it's the one place we're trying to get to. It's just where we can't get. Let's face it, Mr. Frodo, we're lost."
- Sam

"I thought up an ending for my book. 'And he lives happily ever after, till the end of his days.'"
- Bilbo

"You are the luckiest, the canniest, and the most reckless man I ever knew. Bless you, laddie."
- Gimli

"I'm glad to be with you, Samwise Gamgee...here at the end of all things."
- Frodo

The Lord of the Rings, in both its book and movie format, continues to be a classic and loved by fans worldwide. At Hark, we're excited to provide fans access to their favorite quotes from the movie.

Those are our top 20 quotes from The Lord of the Rings trilogy. What are your favorites? We'd love to hear which ones you think we missed?
- By Leslie Martinka

=================
Leslie Martinka is the Marketing Manager at Hark. Hark.com is the world's largest platform for pop culture quotes and images.

What are your top quotes from Peter Jackson's The Lord of the Rings Trilogy? Share in the comments, message board and on Facebook! Discuss on our "Lord of the Rings" message board dedicated exclusively to discussions concerning Peter Jackson's films!

DanielLB
Immortal

May 8 2012, 1:09pm

Post #2 of 49 (28033 views)
Shortcut
Some of the ones included [In reply to] Can't Post

Don't seem the obvious choices (they're all great quotes, but if I were to make a list there would be some different ones on there).

"The grey rain curtain..." - Gandalf
"All you have to decide is what...." - Gandalf again
"They're taking the Hobbit's to Isengard!" - Legolas Wink
"PO-TA-TOES" - Sam
"May it be a light for you..." - Galadriel
"I would not say, do not weep..." - Gandalf again! (He gets the best ones)
"The road goes ever on and on..."
The entire "My dear Bagginses and Boffins...." speech - Bilbo
"The World is changed..." - Galadriel
"Where is the horse and the rider..." - Theoden

etc.

These are more memorable than some of the above (just my thoughts though) Smile

Join the Hobbit Character Elimination Game in the Arena!

(This post was edited by DanielLB on May 8 2012, 1:17pm)

DanielLB
Immortal

May 8 2012, 1:25pm

Post #3 of 49 (27971 views)
Shortcut
And obviously [In reply to] Can't Post

"You shall not pass!" should be on any ones list of great LOTR quotes!

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 8 2012, 1:28pm

Post #4 of 49 (27980 views)
Shortcut
The weird things is... [In reply to] Can't Post

... the Pete, Fran, and Philippa (imo) did such a great job that pretty much every second line in the films is memorable.

I mean, I can almost recite these movies by heart (and so could my mother back when I used to watch the movies on the hall TV... her favourite was the children going "Gandalf, Gandalf" as they chased his cart and hoped for fireworks) Laugh

The Plan 9 Interview... in celebration of the 10th anniversary of the release of The Fellowship of the Ring.

DanielLB
Immortal

May 8 2012, 1:41pm

Post #5 of 49 (27960 views)
Shortcut
I'm glad I'm not the only one ;-) / [In reply to] Can't Post

Turnip Head
Bree

May 8 2012, 1:46pm

Post #6 of 49 (27963 views)
Shortcut
No love for Boromir? [In reply to] Can't Post

"It is a strange fate that we should suffer so much fear and doubt over so small a thing. Such a little thing."

Darkstone
Immortal

May 8 2012, 2:12pm

Post #7 of 49 (27957 views)
Shortcut
"They have a cave troll." [In reply to] Can't Post

One of the best lines in FOTR.

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.”

Ostadan
Rivendell

May 8 2012, 2:39pm

Post #8 of 49 (27953 views)
Shortcut
Quotable Literature [In reply to] Can't Post

For bonus points: which (if any) of these quotes are directly from the book, or vary only by a word or two?

Turnip Head
Bree

May 8 2012, 2:45pm

Post #9 of 49 (27923 views)
Shortcut
I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

The way he says it is great, as if to say "That's all we need right now, a freaking cave troll!"

geordie
Tol Eressea

May 8 2012, 3:49pm

Post #10 of 49 (27927 views)
Shortcut
Precious few ! // [In reply to] Can't Post

FaramirAndEowynMorningStar
Rohan

May 8 2012, 5:50pm

Post #11 of 49 (27942 views)
Shortcut
"A wizard is never late."... [In reply to] Can't Post

I believe that that would be on my list of Top 20 Quotes well.

"If you're referring to the incident with the Dragon I was barely involved. All I did was give your Uncle a little nudge out the door."
It makes me laugh every time

......"Since the first time I met you,
..I couldn't seem to forget you.
.......And lately I seem to find,
..That you're always on my mind.
.......Whenever I see you smile,
..It makes my life so very worthwhile.
......And ever since the very start,
.....You have always been there in my heart.
..Then I heard that you felt the same way,
......And those words were so easy to say."

Dreamdinners
The Shire

May 8 2012, 6:28pm

Post #12 of 49 (27902 views)
Shortcut
It's got to be... [In reply to] Can't Post

"Keep it secret. Keep it safe." Useful phrase when, say, passing a cup of tea to someone. Or, when wanting to instill a sense of foreboding: "Drums... drums in the deep."

DanielLB
Immortal

May 8 2012, 7:02pm

Post #13 of 49 (27898 views)
Shortcut
I use "keep it secret, keep it safe" alllll the time!! / [In reply to] Can't Post

jschomburg
Rivendell

May 8 2012, 7:14pm

Post #14 of 49 (27940 views)
Shortcut
Since I love a good ale...This my friend is a Pint... [In reply to] Can't Post

It comes in pints? I'm getting one!!! The beginning of the end of a quite gathering at the Prancing Pony.

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

May 8 2012, 8:33pm

Post #15 of 49 (27887 views)
Shortcut
You forgot: [In reply to] Can't Post

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhooowwwwwwwwwwwww!"

Aragorn breaks his toe.

Jim
Rivendell

May 8 2012, 9:44pm

Post #16 of 49 (27865 views)
Shortcut
Number 8... [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think was said by Gandalf, I'm sure it was Bilbo.

Magpie
Immortal

May 8 2012, 9:51pm

Post #17 of 49 (27882 views)
Shortcut
I did a transcript of this scene... [In reply to] Can't Post

...in order to work out the music. It's here:
http://www.amagpiesnest.com/...ThShireWagonRide.htm

By my accounting, Gandalf said it in the theatrical edition.

Here's the full text of quote #8:

"Well, what can I tell you? Life in the wide world goes on much as it has this past Age, full of its own comings and goings, scarcely aware of the existence of Hobbits, for which I am very thankful."
- Gandalf

The tricky part is, Bilbo says part of this in the extended edition:

And so, life in the Shire goes on, very much as it has this past Age . . . full of its own comings and goings, with change coming slowly, if it comes at all.

So it's easy to get the two mixed up. And but for those few words, "Well, what can I tell you?" you would be partly right when you say Bilbo said it... and partly wrong when you say Gandalf didn't. :-)

There's a reason I have a whole page of it on my website. It was very hard to sort out the music by the action and the dialog between the two versions.

LOTR soundtrack website
magpie avatar gallery ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Jim
Rivendell

May 8 2012, 9:57pm

Post #18 of 49 (27889 views)
Shortcut
Thanks Magpie [In reply to] Can't Post

I've not watched the Theatrical edition in years, that's tricksy precious, the extended edition is the only one I watch now : )

Magpie
Immortal

May 8 2012, 9:59pm

Post #19 of 49 (27897 views)
Shortcut
two of mine would be: [In reply to] Can't Post

"You shall not pass".

For awhile, just after FOTR, my afterschool position for the school I worked at was to stand at the entry of a hallway and deny entrance to students. They were to exit the front door and leave the premises. They didn't like to comply. More than once, way more than once, I wanted to raise my arms ... have this cloak with big sleeves making a curtain... bang my staff... and cry... YOU SHALL NOT PASS!"

and

I live for the day when I can quote: "throw it back into the fiery chasm from whence it came"

oh, and that intonation when Boromir says, "They have a cave troll" is just precious. It can apply to lots of situations.

LOTR soundtrack website

Magpie
Immortal

May 8 2012, 10:00pm

Post #20 of 49 (27867 views)
Shortcut
absolutely [In reply to] Can't Post

I only regret when I alter it to use in situations where I feel just like Boromir did... no one gets me.

LOTR soundtrack website

Magpie
Immortal

May 8 2012, 10:02pm

Post #21 of 49 (27896 views)
Shortcut
I think that scene... [In reply to] Can't Post

...might be the only one that is so drastically different in the two versions. Different in what was added, different in what was dropped, and different in what was moved around and what was said by different people.

LOTR soundtrack website

Lossefalme
Gondor

May 8 2012, 11:38pm

Post #22 of 49 (27889 views)
Shortcut
I didn't want to read the others before responding... [In reply to] Can't Post

but I have a few I use all the time...

"What does your heart tell you?" - Aragorn to Gandalf
"What's taters, Precious?" "Po-ta-toes; boil 'em, mash 'em, stick 'em in a stew..." exchange between Gollum and Sam.
"Even the very wise cannot see all ends." - Gandalf to Frodo
"Keep it secret. Keep it safe." - Gandalf to Frodo
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - Gandalf to Frodo
"Whatever you did, you've been officially labeled a disturber of the peace." - Frodo to Gandalf
"There's an eye-opener, and no mistake." - Sam regarding Moria
"For Frodo." - Aragorn to soldiers and the remaining Fellowship
"So it begins." - Theoden at Helm's Deep
"[That] there's some good in this world [Mr. Frodo]...and it's worth fighting for." Sam to Frodo

These are the ones that I very commonly use and immediately came to mind, but they are just the tip of the iceberg. LotR quotes have truly become a part of my everyday lexicon.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Aragorn threw back his cloak. The elven-sheath glittered as he grasped it, and the bright blade of Andúril shone like a sudden flame as he swept it out. “Elendil!” he cried. “I am Aragorn son of Arathorn, and am called Elessar, the Elfstone, Dúnadan, the heir of Isildur Elendil’s son of Gondor. Here is the Sword that was Broken and is forged again! Will you aid me or thwart me? Choose swiftly!” TTT, Book III, Chapter 2
And Éomer answered: “Since the day when you rose before me out of the green grass of the downs I have loved you, and that love shall not fail.” RotK, Book VI, Chapter 5

Lossefalme
Gondor

May 8 2012, 11:40pm

Post #23 of 49 (27869 views)
Shortcut
I HAVE said that to my students!!! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Aragorn threw back his cloak. The elven-sheath glittered as he grasped it, and the bright blade of Andúril shone like a sudden flame as he swept it out. “Elendil!” he cried. “I am Aragorn son of Arathorn, and am called Elessar, the Elfstone, Dúnadan, the heir of Isildur Elendil’s son of Gondor. Here is the Sword that was Broken and is forged again! Will you aid me or thwart me? Choose swiftly!” TTT, Book III, Chapter 2
And Éomer answered: “Since the day when you rose before me out of the green grass of the downs I have loved you, and that love shall not fail.” RotK, Book VI, Chapter 5

Lossefalme
Gondor

May 8 2012, 11:41pm

Post #24 of 49 (27867 views)
Shortcut
Oh, good one! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Lossefalme
Gondor

May 8 2012, 11:42pm

Post #25 of 49 (27847 views)
Shortcut
We would! [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.