This film will out-do The Avengers and The Dark Knight Rises combined
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next page Last page  View All

TheCoon
Lorien

May 7 2012, 2:17am

Post #26 of 181 (885 views)
Shortcut
ok mayb combined was a bit much [In reply to] Can't Post

but it will be the highest grossing film of 2012 why wouldnt it be?

both will make 1 billion a piece gauranteed

name one non nolan fanboy NOT hyped up for this film

(This post was edited by TheCoon on May 7 2012, 2:18am)

Estel78
Tol Eressea

May 7 2012, 2:38am

Post #27 of 181 (867 views)
Shortcut
Because Avengers might even come close to the last Harry Potter's worldwide take? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

Avengers is killing it in the USA and also doing great internationally. It'll not be as easy as you make it out to be to top that. If all goes reasonably well, it very well might beat Avengers but it's probably not gonna be a landslide win.

TheCoon
Lorien

May 7 2012, 3:06am

Post #28 of 181 (864 views)
Shortcut
you people act as if lotrs fanbase has diminished [In reply to] Can't Post

why would these films not do as good as the trilogy

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

May 7 2012, 3:06am

Post #29 of 181 (882 views)
Shortcut
I seriously doubt that it will be close to either Avengers or Dark Knight Rises [In reply to] Can't Post

Nor do I really care. I hope they do reasonably well in the box office, but what I really care about is that they are good films that do justice to the source material.

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

www.arda-reconstructed.com

Estel78
Tol Eressea

May 7 2012, 3:48am

Post #30 of 181 (889 views)
Shortcut
Avengers is likely gonna outgross all LOTR movies. [In reply to] Can't Post

Of course inflation and 3D ticket prices boost its gross, still, it's doing gangbusters. Hobbit will have to sell approximately close to 80% the number of tickets ROTK did to top that (according to my calculations). Surely possible, but not guaranteed.

I believe Hobbit will lose some of the LOTR audience or repeat viewers. For one, people (many of them at least) really adored LOTR and as good as Hobbit may be and as much faith as i have in PJ, to capture that magic twice is very, very difficult. Furthermore, its story is not as epic and emotional (maybe the 2nd movie can come close). Also, its main cast consist of some odd dwarves, an old wizzard and a hobbit, not a bunch of hunky men. That may sound superficial but it has an effect.

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

May 7 2012, 4:37am

Post #31 of 181 (866 views)
Shortcut
I would be more cautious in that bet [In reply to] Can't Post

You may be right, but on top of the now having a far larger fan base than the original trilogy did at the time of its release, added to the fact that both families and the usual suspects will want to see the Hobbit, there is an added thing no other modern film in the adventure/epic genre has, comic adventures and superhero epics included, and that is Academy Award best picture status conferred on earlier works in the same series by the same team. The Hobbit is not just the "prequel" if you will to an international block buster, it comes as part of an Academy Award winning franchise.

As a result of those things, the media is likely going to make a bigger deal out of it than they make out of The Dark Knight. It will almost certainly have much more media fanfare than The Avengers. It really has A LOT going for it, and WB is going to push it HARD.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

(This post was edited by AinurOlorin on May 7 2012, 4:39am)

MrCere
Sr. Staff

May 7 2012, 6:38am

Post #32 of 181 (831 views)
Shortcut
What is each film worth? [In reply to] Can't Post

I believe each Hobbit film is worth $1 billion worldwide. In fact, I don't feel the least bit worried about that mark with 3D prices factored in.

And, each of us will see the film six times! 2D 48fps, 2D 24fps, 3D 48fps, 3D 24fps and each in Imax. (Mostly kidding)

I have no choice but to believe in free will.

The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie

My blog

geordie
Tol Eressea

May 7 2012, 7:20am

Post #33 of 181 (814 views)
Shortcut
I dunno [In reply to] Can't Post

what a non nolan fanboy is - but I'm not hyped up by these movies. As for box-office predictions, I don't have any As C.S. Lewis said in his review of LotR, 'Prediction is dangerous'.

Smile

(This post was edited by geordie on May 7 2012, 7:22am)

DanielLB
Immortal

May 7 2012, 8:30am

Post #34 of 181 (789 views)
Shortcut
That's what I think too / [In reply to] Can't Post

Join the Hobbit Character Elimination Game in the Arena!

DanielLB
Immortal

May 7 2012, 8:32am

Post #35 of 181 (818 views)
Shortcut
I wonder if The Hobbit films [In reply to] Can't Post

will lead to another resurgence of fantasy films. And whether it will the same or greater than the trilogy

Lacrimae Rerum
Grey Havens

May 7 2012, 9:51am

Post #36 of 181 (809 views)
Shortcut
Well not if you adjust for inflation, probably. [In reply to] Can't Post

Certainly not on the US domestic figures.

LR

TheCoon
Lorien

May 7 2012, 10:04am

Post #37 of 181 (800 views)
Shortcut
the next trailer will be with TDKR [In reply to] Can't Post

its WBs last major film b4 this

Estel78
Tol Eressea

May 7 2012, 2:16pm

Post #38 of 181 (773 views)
Shortcut
Avengers might come close to Titanic in North America. [In reply to] Can't Post

That's over $600m just from North America.

Hanzkaz
Rohan

May 7 2012, 2:31pm

Post #39 of 181 (750 views)
Shortcut
I have a suspicion - [In reply to] Can't Post

This film will out-do The Avengers and The Dark Knight Rises combined

- that the movie plot may be less faithful to the novel than the LOTR films were and not just because of the addition of the Dol Guldur storyline. That may put off certain types of viewers (Then again, there seem to be detractors of PJ who seem to have watched the LOTR at the cinema far more often than I have).

On the other hand, if PJ is making the kind of changes that I suspect he's making, there may be an increase in mainstream audiences, especially for the second movie..

Much as I look forward to the Hobbit, there's no guarantee that it will outdo all the movies that come out this year (Avengers seem to be doing very well, and we've still got a few other big movies yet to come.)

DanielLB
Immortal

May 7 2012, 2:36pm

Post #40 of 181 (761 views)
Shortcut
I disagree [In reply to] Can't Post

Including the Dol Guldur plot, then yes, the films digress from the book.

But excluding that storyline, I think the films are going to remain very faithful to the book. The Hobbit book is very simple (compared to LOTR) - there is simple progression from one chapter to another, there are no sub-plots, or confusing storylines, there aren't massive explanations required etc. It is a childrens book.

They are making 2 films out of 1 simple book. There is no reason why they can't include everything from the book, with the addition of Dol Guldur/White Council/Radagast and Frodo and Bilbo.

Of course there are going to be some changes (like any book-to-film adaptation), but I fully expect every basic plot, character and event from the book to make it into the film.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 7 2012, 3:18pm

Post #41 of 181 (753 views)
Shortcut
At the end of The Avengers' US opening weekend [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

both will make 1 billion a piece gauranteed

name one non nolan fanboy NOT hyped up for this film

The Avengers already looks to be at about $700,000,000 world-wide. That's going to be hard for either Nolan or Jackson to top. And remember that a lot of film-fans are feeling ambivalent about The Hobbit's 48-fps 3D right now.

"Darkness beyond blackest pitch, deeper than the deepest night!
King of Darkness, who shines like gold upon the Sea of Chaos.
I call upon thee and swear myself to thee!
Let the fools who stand before me be destroyed by the power you and I possess!"

Hanzkaz
Rohan

May 7 2012, 3:22pm

Post #42 of 181 (751 views)
Shortcut
Some spoilers [In reply to] Can't Post

I think the films are going to remain very faithful to the book.

The whole business with the tombs is a bit further than I'd expected PJ to go. I'm not complaining, but I was expecting a somewhat more subtle approach to the Necromancer plot.

Also, going by the changes (and the intended ones that were dropped) that PJ made to battles in the LOTR movies, I'm expecting more of same, especially in the second film. I'm getting the feeling that ideas that didn't make it into the LOTR films may turn up in some form during the Hobbit movies. The Ringwraith tombs remind me of the Barrow Downs and Tauriel reminds of the plan for Arwen's presence at Helm's Deep. I wouldn't be surprised if Thorin and Co. have a pitched battle against Night Wargs somewhere along the way. .

DanielLB
Immortal

May 7 2012, 3:44pm

Post #43 of 181 (737 views)
Shortcut
I'm expecting many, many additions [In reply to] Can't Post

Since they are stretching 1 book over 2 films. It will be the additions that are different from the book, while I fully expect everything from the book to stay in!

The Wargs and Orcs surround them while in the fir trees - I wouldn't imagine they would film 2 attacks.

Hanzkaz
Rohan

May 7 2012, 4:54pm

Post #44 of 181 (711 views)
Shortcut
Perhaps an addition to the Warg confrontation? spoiler [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
The Wargs and Orcs surround them while in the fir trees - I wouldn't imagine they would film 2 attacks.

Some time after escaping from the Goblins, they could have an initial FOTR-style confrontation with a relatively small group of Wargs (if only just to show off the fighting prowess of the Dwarves - otherwise they seem to be mostly good at getting caught by their enemies) , and later run into a much larger group near the pine trees.

I would expect the whole business to take place over a number of days.

From reports, the Dwarves seem to have put up more of a fight against the three trolls than was depicted in the book. It could be the same with the Wargs.

(This post was edited by Hanzkaz on May 7 2012, 4:57pm)

DanielLB
Immortal

May 7 2012, 4:56pm

Post #45 of 181 (724 views)
Shortcut
They also fight their way out of Goblintown [In reply to] Can't Post

Could have wargs there?

Hanzkaz
Rohan

May 7 2012, 5:01pm

Post #46 of 181 (724 views)
Shortcut
Possibly - [In reply to] Can't Post

They also fight their way out of Goblintown

Could have wargs there?

But personally, I'd like to see the Thorin and his gang run into (and deal with) the Goblins and Wargs separately at first (the former in the caves and the latter near some snowy mountain - I have this vision of the Dwarves bursting out of the snow and ambushing some very surprised Wargs - and then a distant howl warns them of more on the way) , and only meet both groups of foes at the pine trees.

(This post was edited by Hanzkaz on May 7 2012, 5:08pm)

Sam20
Lorien

May 7 2012, 5:47pm

Post #47 of 181 (700 views)
Shortcut
The Hobbit [In reply to] Can't Post

It is clear to me that The Hobbit will be the movie of the year. I've not seen the movies you're refering to (The Avenger and The Dark Knight Rise which is not yet release) and cannot comment on them but I have a feeling and I expect The Hobbit will do better that these two taken individually.

(This post was edited by sam90 on May 7 2012, 5:49pm)

Estel78
Tol Eressea

May 7 2012, 6:02pm

Post #48 of 181 (723 views)
Shortcut
Avengers might do around $1.4 billion worldwide. [In reply to] Can't Post

Hobbit has its work cut out to beat that. Personally, i'm predicting $1.6 billion for the Hobbit. I also realize, it's a pretty optimistic figure.

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

May 7 2012, 9:28pm

Post #49 of 181 (664 views)
Shortcut
not in it's theatrical release it won't [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't see ANY film doing 1 billion dollars at the box office no matter what it is... While I think the Hobbit might be great films you have to look at things realistically I wold say end of theater viewings it will probably hit the 500 million mark for each film. but no wheres near 1 Billion each.

as to why wouldn't it be? well there are a hundred factors like people aren't as receptive to the 48fps like the studio wants them to be, people might go expecting LOTR and when they don't get something close enough word of mouth, who knows? Its like, if you ask Batman fans about the DKR they would say that it is gonna be the highest grossing film of the year... Its all perspective. but I wouldn't count my chickens before they hatch. I say the Hobbit will hit about 500 million in theaters which still isn't that bad if you ask me

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

May 7 2012, 9:31pm

Post #50 of 181 (660 views)
Shortcut
hopefully they include [In reply to] Can't Post

the wolves too... I always thought it was cool you had Wargs AND wolves together kind of like some twisted Hierarchy in that social network

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.