Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Summer Movies 2012
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: Summer Movies 2012
The Avengers
Dark Shadows
Men in Black 3
Snow White and the Huntsman
Prometheus
Brave
The Amazing Spider-man
The Dark Knight Rises
Other
View Results (114 votes)

Vangalad
Lorien

May 5 2012, 9:55am

Post #1 of 35 (624 views)
Shortcut
Summer Movies 2012 Can't Post

Which (blockbuster) do you you think is gonna be the best summer movie and which one are you definitely going to watch?

A couple of days ago, I watched the Avengers and by all means it was one of the most satisfying superhero movies out there, despite fears of the contrary.

So on, looking forward to:
Dark Shadows- think it will be fun and Depp is playing a sort of a humorous vampire.
Snow White- love to see Charlize as the evil queen...
Prometheus-scary dark space panic!
And finally the Dark Knight rises- because it's supposedly the last dark knight film.

(multiple answers included)

DanielLB
Immortal

May 5 2012, 9:58am

Post #2 of 35 (403 views)
Shortcut
The only one I am guarenteed to watch in the cinema is [In reply to] Can't Post

Prometheus. All the others I'll wait till there on DVD. I couldn't afford to watch them all this summer Tongue

Vangalad
Lorien

May 5 2012, 10:12am

Post #3 of 35 (360 views)
Shortcut
Indeed, [In reply to] Can't Post

Watching a movie (not to mention 3D) to the cinema is really costly these days..
Thankfully, due to economical crisis, most cinemas have dropped ticket prices in my country recently... At least some prices are dropping ...Unimpressed

DanielLB
Immortal

May 5 2012, 10:16am

Post #4 of 35 (356 views)
Shortcut
These are all out in 3d? [In reply to] Can't Post

3D in the UK costs ~£12. It's not that high for one person, but when you're paying for 2/3 others, then it rockets to £34/£46 - which is ridiculous! Even 2D can be fairly steep at ~£10.

Chopsta123
Gondor

May 5 2012, 10:19am

Post #5 of 35 (347 views)
Shortcut
DKR [In reply to] Can't Post

and Prometheus I am garanteed to watch multiple times.
Avengers got my votes because I already watched it.
The others I am not sure about except for Brave.

Vangalad
Lorien

May 5 2012, 10:39am

Post #6 of 35 (349 views)
Shortcut
Here [In reply to] Can't Post

In Greece most multiplex cinemas put a pricetag of 7-7.5 euros on all screenings except 3D which is 10+ euros.
But I 'm a student and get a tiny discount. Tongue

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

May 5 2012, 11:51am

Post #7 of 35 (338 views)
Shortcut
TDKR [In reply to] Can't Post

Is the only one I'm emotionally invested in, because of already forming attachment to the characters in the previous movies. I'm not that hyped for Bane, but Anne Hathaway as Catwoman, now that I'm looking forwards to.

Magpie
Immortal

May 5 2012, 12:42pm

Post #8 of 35 (365 views)
Shortcut
Avengers [In reply to] Can't Post

We usually see a movie for son #1's birthday in May. He's chosen Avengers for this year (he'll turn 29). It's not like there was any other choice but the reviews seem to be positive so we hope to enjoy ourselves. (I have liked all the preceding movies in this character line).

We don't pay full price for many movies and probably won't for any other movies this summer. But lots of them make their way to this vintage (1950s) one screen theater in our neighborhood where tickets are $3 or $2 on Tuesday. Hopefully our schedules will be free to catch some of these in the late summer/fall at the Riverview.

Of the list:

Dark Shadows - gee, I saw trailers for this and thought, I have absolutely no desire to see this movie. It just looks stupid to me. Johnny needs to find another movie like Chocolat to do. I liked him as Jack Sparrow but enough with the silly characters.

Men in Black 3 - this one I might catch for $2 or rent on DVD

Snow White and the Huntsman - very mild interest in - I look at Kristen Stewart and see that angsty character from Twilight. Watching her on talk shows doesn't disabuse me of the angsty/emo image. I have to get over that to enjoy her in a movie. Whether I'll try... I'm not sure. They have a troll. :-)

Prometheus - Looks great. No way! I actually saw Alien twice. Once with coworkers where I cowered in my seat with my eyes covered - totally annoying them. Then I went again with the man who would later be my husband. It didn't help to know what was going to happen. I got so emotionally worked up I had to leave the theater and sit in the lobby. Ridley Scott is good. He's just going for my weak spot here and I have to protect my soft underbelly.

Brave - of all of these (other than Avengers), I'm probably most motivated to see this when it come through on second run.

The Amazing Spider-man - I missed the gene for Spider-man. No interest.

The Dark Knight Rises - I like Christian Bales reboot of the character but my interest wanes. I like Heath but his Joker and the direction that movie went wasn't to my liking (not that I disapprove... it just wandered out of my personal sphere of enjoyment). I don't think it helped that it was his last movie and I was moved by his death. It was hard to watch his immersion in that character knowing his fate.

Other - checking lists, it looks like Star Trek 2 has ambitiously aimed for this summer. I'd be real stoked for that! It would rank highest of all these movies for me.

Annael
Half-elven

May 5 2012, 1:59pm

Post #9 of 35 (343 views)
Shortcut
really looking forward to "Brave" [In reply to] Can't Post

and "The Avengers." "Snow White & The Huntsman" could be good - not a fan of Kristin Stewart, but ready to be convinced that she's better than "Twilight," and I love Charlize and have no trouble at all looking at Chris Hemsworth. I watched the original "Dark Shadows" as a teen and am not sure that Burton's conscious campiness is the right tack to take with a show that was hilarious because it was so earnestly unconscious of its own campiness, but I'll still go.

Which one do I think will be "best"? I can't answer that until I've seen them.

sevilodorf
Gondor

May 5 2012, 4:24pm

Post #10 of 35 (335 views)
Shortcut
Second run theater goer [In reply to] Can't Post

where Tuesday is $1 day will be my choice so I probably won't see any of them until two months after their release but I will see them.

Recently caught John Carter so that tells you how far off my timing is.

sevilodorf
Gondor

May 5 2012, 4:26pm

Post #11 of 35 (360 views)
Shortcut
To prep for Avengers? [In reply to] Can't Post

I've seen Thor and Ironman.... but missed Hulk (caught half on FX one day) ... should I try to find a Captain America DVD before going to see Avengers?

DanielLB
Immortal

May 5 2012, 6:44pm

Post #12 of 35 (322 views)
Shortcut
I'm a student too [In reply to] Can't Post

and will be getting discounts till 2015 Cool It's a shame it's a rubbish discount!

Magpie
Immortal

May 5 2012, 7:14pm

Post #13 of 35 (329 views)
Shortcut
that reminds me... John Carter is at our second run theater [In reply to] Can't Post

I was going to ask the Mr if he wanted to go.

btw: I can't talk up our theater too much. Not only is a beautiful restored vintage space ... with cheap tickets and food ... they do a lot of special showings like the LOTR trilogy in December and Serenity fundraisers for Equality Now and showing free live feeds of athletic events like Univ. of MN hockey or basketball or Tour de France.

They show kids movies on school off days and lease the space to author readings like for Neil Gaiman.

It truly is a community based business.

http://www.riverviewtheater.com/about/tour

(This post was edited by Magpie on May 5 2012, 7:18pm)

Magpie
Immortal

May 5 2012, 7:24pm

Post #14 of 35 (335 views)
Shortcut
In our household: [In reply to] Can't Post

All four of us (me, husband, two grown sons) have seen the two Ironman movies.

The boys couldn't be bothered to watch Thor or Captain America. Movies have to jump through some high hoops for them to watch it in the theaters. The Mr and I watched them both and I like Thor a lot. My memory of Captain America is a bit vague. I think I felt it got a bit long in places but it might be helpful to get a sense of CA's personality and place him in the time from which he comes.

None of us saw Hulk. I had kind of forgotten about it.

I haven't seen Avengers yet so I can't say how much you need to prep for it. But we are planning on renting all the precursor movies for the characters.

Captain America does have Hugo Weaving and Richard Armitage in it!

DanielLB
Immortal

May 5 2012, 7:36pm

Post #15 of 35 (325 views)
Shortcut
Have there been any (early) reviews of Brave? [In reply to] Can't Post

I must admit, I wasn't impressed by the trailer.

Patty
Immortal

May 5 2012, 7:56pm

Post #16 of 35 (325 views)
Shortcut
The Avengers, without a doubt. [In reply to] Can't Post

But I'm also going to see Snow White, and maybe Prometheus.

Vangalad
Lorien

May 5 2012, 8:12pm

Post #17 of 35 (308 views)
Shortcut
It would be slightly better [In reply to] Can't Post

If you watched C.America also. His backstory in pair with Iron man's and Thor's build a smooth entrance to the movie's greater picture. I didn't feel like there were significant connections with Hulk's previous movies, you just need to know the basics.

Magpie
Immortal

May 5 2012, 8:18pm

Post #18 of 35 (329 views)
Shortcut
I don't read reviews. [In reply to] Can't Post

I form a quick sense of whether I'm interested or not... then take a chance. I enjoy evenings out at the movies even if a movie is just so-so.

I don't worry about what other people think. Especially since I'm in one of those personality profiles that make up less than 4% of the population. I'm used to thinking contrary to the crowd. :-)

DanielLB
Immortal

May 5 2012, 8:28pm

Post #19 of 35 (321 views)
Shortcut
I wont decide whether to see a film or not based on reviews [In reply to] Can't Post

As about 99% of the time I will disagree with them Wink I was just a little disappointed about the trailer because of all the pre-trailer hype - so would be interesting to see what the consensus was/is.

If I don't see Brave in the cinema, then I will probably see it when it's on DVD.

zarabia
Tol Eressea

May 6 2012, 7:04am

Post #20 of 35 (304 views)
Shortcut
I'm sooo clueless anymore about movies [In reply to] Can't Post

I used to always be the one person in the discussion "Has anyone seen..." to answer yes to all of the above. But times and circumstances have changed, and I admit that I haven't even heard of a couple of theseBlush

I would like to see Dark Shadows; I like most of the Depp/ Burton collaborations. I also remember my sister going on about Dark Shadows when we were little; I don't remember it myself.

I also want to see MIB3. Josh Brolin as young Tommy Lee Jones looks well worth the price of admission alone.

Elizabeth
Valinor

May 6 2012, 7:42am

Post #21 of 35 (310 views)
Shortcut
None of the above. [In reply to] Can't Post

I might have been interested in Dark Shadows, because I loved the TV series, but having seen from the trailer that it's being played for laughs, I'm not interested.

None of the others interest me at all.

MrCere
Sr. Staff

May 6 2012, 2:28pm

Post #22 of 35 (299 views)
Shortcut
Nah [In reply to] Can't Post

Watching Captain America will give you 1/2 of a good movie and make his costume in The Avengers look even worse.

But, the real reason is, The Avengers movie holds up on its own just fine. (Okay, as somebody said, it would be a slight preference.)

sevilodorf
Gondor

May 6 2012, 2:52pm

Post #23 of 35 (287 views)
Shortcut
Elvish advice... [In reply to] Can't Post

I checked my DVD source (my son in law) and he didn't buy Captain America ...not did he see the movie... which totally shocks me as they see everything, so unless it falls into my hands or jumps out at me in a store aisle then I guess I'll go to Avengers without the background.

I know Hulk's storyline. TV show David Banner more than comic book, but I was a DC comic kid when comics were 10, 12, 15, 20, 25, 35, 50 cents... then I stopped reading/buying. By the time my daughter was old enough, the price was so high to my mind (yes, I've been called stingy, miserly, etc.) that I steered her toward Ranger Rick, Disney Adventure magazine which could be done as subscriptions.

Magpie
Immortal

May 6 2012, 8:09pm

Post #24 of 35 (309 views)
Shortcut
I found this article this morning: “The Avengers” 101: What to know before you head to the theater [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.ifc.com/...5/avengers-movie-101

Patty
Immortal

May 6 2012, 8:14pm

Post #25 of 35 (313 views)
Shortcut
Thanks. I must read this. My son... [In reply to] Can't Post

is very knowledgeable about all those superheroes, but he won't share his knowledge because he prefers the cartoons, sorry, animated series--and he tries to make me watch them. Ain't happening.

But I did go see Thor, Iron Man, and Captain America. That, coupled with this article, ought to make me enjoy it when we go next Sunday after church. This is my mother's day gift from him--and dinner. Can't wait.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.