Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Bilbo and Smaug in 'Sherlock' season 2 starting Sunday

News From Bree
spymaster@theonering.net

May 4 2012, 7:57pm

Post #1 of 11 (866 views)
Shortcut
Bilbo and Smaug in 'Sherlock' season 2 starting Sunday Can't Post

As staffer Ostadan reminds us, viewers in the U.S. will have a chance to catch the second season of "Sherlock" starting Sunday on PBS. The series stars Martin Freeman, soon to be fantastically famous as Bilbo Baggins and Benedict Cumberbatch as the titular character in the series. This page will get you started on when and where you can catch it in your area. The series, generally loved by critics and audiences, is smart and funny and dramatic and is an interesting preview of the actors who will become Smaug and Bilbo and have conversations in treasure rooms. Martin was committed to the series and Peter Jackson and Warner Bros. worked the shooting schedule of the two movies based on J.R.R. Tolkien's "The Hobbit," to accommodate the actor's availability. The first film, "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey," is scheduled to hit theaters worldwide December 14, 2012.

Milknut
Rohan

May 5 2012, 5:46am

Post #2 of 11 (447 views)
Shortcut
As a violinist it warmeth my heart to see a fiddle in the press release image. [In reply to] Can't Post

That is all! Heart

The cake is a lie.
The cake is a lie.
The cake is a lie.
The cake is a lie.
The cake is a lie___

DanielLB
Immortal

May 5 2012, 9:44am

Post #3 of 11 (425 views)
Shortcut
I enjoyed series 2 [In reply to] Can't Post

But was very disappointed about the final episode since Moffat used the same ending for Doctor Who.

Old Toby
Gondor

May 6 2012, 4:42am

Post #4 of 11 (415 views)
Shortcut
Surely Sherlock [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't WAIT until Sunday's first episode of Season 2!! This is my favorite TV show. Never having seen Dr Who, I can't say I was disappointed with the ending of episode 3. Quite the contrary, I was screaming for more at the ending! I hope this series keeps going and going and going. Heart

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

QuackingTroll
Valinor

May 6 2012, 4:44pm

Post #5 of 11 (419 views)
Shortcut
I'm not going to watch this, because it has that "cheap" BBC look from the high framerates... [In reply to] Can't Post

I kid, I've already seen it Tongue

"...For if joyful is the fountain that rises in the sun, its springs are in the wells of sorrow unfathomed at the foundations of the Earth"

Alassėa Eruvande
Valinor

May 7 2012, 2:38pm

Post #6 of 11 (357 views)
Shortcut
**squee!** (small spoilers) [In reply to] Can't Post

I watched it last night! And my PBS station was kind enough to play last season's cliff hanger episode (with the swimming pool) on Saturday night.

But I am definitely going to have to get this series on dvd. I think I'm missing a lot of details just because I have a hard time with the accents, especially when the actors talk fast.

Like how did John know to set off the smoke alarms in The Woman's hallway? Was there a look between him and Sherlock?

Also, what was the deal with nekkid Sherlock in B. Palace? Is he really that stubborn? He came off as sort of a poncy diva.

And I totally did not get the parade of people in John and Sherlock's apartment, with their stories about dead people, until the very end. But why were they coming to Sherlock about it?

I also got side tracked with the stalled-car-death-witness guy. What did that have to do with anything?
I don't like how John is being portrayed as a total servant for Sherlock's whims. Why couldn't Sherlock go to the scene of the dead hiker? Why did John have to bring his laptop and webcam out there? Just so Sherlock could remain home, nekkid?

See? I'm definitely missing things. I hope it's only because of the accents, and not that I'm a complete idiot. CrazyShocked

But I really liked the story of The Woman. And the whole thing with the phone, and the texts, and (eep!) the password! Good stuff! Laugh

And suddenly the Tornadoes saw afar off a greenlight, as it were a cloud with a living heart of flame;
and they knew that this was no vision only, but that PJ had made a new thing: The Hobbit, the Film that Is.

Donry
Tol Eressea

May 7 2012, 3:06pm

Post #7 of 11 (348 views)
Shortcut
I quite liked... [In reply to] Can't Post

Season 2. I am excited for a third season. I love the idea the season's are so short, but it is tough waiting for the next one!

What's the matter, James? No glib remark? No pithy comeback?"

www.onesecondleft.com
@RDon1secleft
http://donryfetor.blogspot.com/
@DonryFetor

DanielLB
Immortal

May 7 2012, 3:08pm

Post #8 of 11 (330 views)
Shortcut
I suppose we wouldn't have to wait so long if they both weren't in The Hobbit :-P / [In reply to] Can't Post

Join the Hobbit Character Elimination Game in the Arena!

shirehobbit
Rivendell

May 7 2012, 4:52pm

Post #9 of 11 (360 views)
Shortcut
caught the last five minutes [In reply to] Can't Post

My mom found it on our PBS station in time for the end, then I came up for the last five minutes. I was grinning madly by the end. Have to finish reading "Hound of the Baskervilles" before sunday!

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 7 2012, 7:56pm

Post #10 of 11 (362 views)
Shortcut
PBS has it up for streaming on their website. [In reply to] Can't Post

For those US sibs who might have missed it. Click here. Smile

Silverlode

"Of all faces those of our familiares are the ones both most difficult to play fantastic tricks with, and most difficult really to see with fresh attention. They have become like the things which once attracted us by their glitter, or their colour, or their shape, and we laid hands on them, and then locked them in our hoard, acquired them, and acquiring ceased to look at them.
Creative fantasy, because it is mainly trying to do something else [make something new], may open your hoard and let all the locked things fly away like cage-birds. The gems all turn into flowers or flames, and you will be warned that all you had (or knew) was dangerous and potent, not really effectively chained, free and wild; no more yours than they were you."
-On Fairy Stories

Marillė by the Sea
Rivendell

May 11 2012, 10:47pm

Post #11 of 11 (291 views)
Shortcut
A little late with answers [In reply to] Can't Post

It's not really the accents that throws me off, but how fast Cumberbatch talks. Luckily, I had subtitles and having seen these episodes MULTIPLE times (yes, I have no life), this is what I think are the "answers" to your questions...

Like how did John know to set off the smoke alarms in The Woman's hallway? Was there a look between him and Sherlock?

John and Sherlock have code words: setting off the fire alarm was hinted in the scene beforehand, when Sherlock asked for a lighter. He also said, "John, man the door" and they exchanged a look, so I assume that was code for setting off the fire alarm. Likewise, when Sherlock shouted "Vatican cameos", John knew to duck because the was a loaded gun behind the safe.

And I totally did not get the parade of people in John and Sherlock's apartment, with their stories about dead people, until the very end. But why were they coming to Sherlock about it?

Considering how Sherlock is so far a local celebrity (large readership on Watson's blog helps), people have been coming to him to solve their various mysteries and problems. You'll see in the next two episodes that this is a recurring thing and how Sherlock gets many of his cases.

I also got side tracked with the stalled-car-death-witness guy. What did that have to do with anything?

That didn't have to do with anything. Just a random case Sherlock was presented with because the witness was so shocked and mystified by the whole thing he decided to go to the most brilliant detective. It also sets up the spar between Alder and Sherlock when she (and the audience) is trying to figure it out.

PS: I love nekkid Sherlock Evil

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.