Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
New Line Agree to Pay 'RINGS' Fine

Xoanon
PTB

Oct 4 2007, 6:06pm

Post #1 of 6 (1676 views)
Shortcut
New Line Agree to Pay 'RINGS' Fine Can't Post

From The Hollywood Reporter (via Mania.com) Just two months ago, the media received word that New Line was softening its position against Peter Jackson in hopes of a possible HOBBIT movie somewhere in the near future. The hostility went from the studio head Robert Shaye saying "So the answer is he will never make any movie with New Line Cinema again while I'm still working for the company." (via SciFi.com) to "Notwithstanding our personal quarrels, I really respect and admire Peter and would love for him to be creatively involved in some way in The Hobbit. (via LA Times) Whether the two sides have even talked to one another since then, it appears that New Line is accepting a fine handed to them from a Federal Judge for the failures of handing over documents as requested, something Peter Jackson has said from the beginning causing the court case. The $125,000 fine could have been contested or sought a review which would have taken more time in this ongoing court battle. Instead, they're accepting the decision. New Line's attorney Robert Schwartz wrote, "Mindful that the court's resources are valuable and limited, New Line will neither oppose that award nor seek review" of the order.

Michael Regina
Editor in Chief/Segment Producer
PH: 514.947.5221
http://www.TheOneRing.net
http://www.KongisKing.net
http://www.TheOneLion.net
http://www.gallifreyone.com

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 4 2007, 6:09pm

Post #2 of 6 (691 views)
Shortcut
Interesting! [In reply to] Can't Post

It would appear to me that New Line realizes they're not going to win on that issue. They clearly missed the deadline. However, that might not necessarily relate to their position for the actual lawsuit. This fine relates to a procedural matter, not the actual facts of the case.

Each cloak was fastened about the neck with a brooch like a green leaf veined with silver.
`Are these magic cloaks?' asked Pippin, looking at them with wonder.
`I do not know what you mean by that,' answered the leader of the Elves.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

diedye
Grey Havens

Oct 4 2007, 6:12pm

Post #3 of 6 (637 views)
Shortcut
*cautiously optimistic*... [In reply to] Can't Post

There's still the matter of going over the books and figuring out whether New Line indeed stiffed Jackson out of profits from LOTR and whether this will have an effect on the possibility of Jackson helming a Hobbit movie by the same studio.

Still... a little bit of good news better than none.

Patty
Immortal

Oct 5 2007, 3:40am

Post #4 of 6 (596 views)
Shortcut
Wow. This does look good... [In reply to] Can't Post

as far as it goes.

If nothing else, it keeps from wasting time on the small stuff (and after all, what's $125,00 to them, in comparison to what they may end up having to pay?)

For Gondor!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 5 2007, 2:54pm

Post #5 of 6 (606 views)
Shortcut
I see little birds [In reply to] Can't Post

flying around Shaye's head and flowers sprouting up around he feet as he (NL!) desperately tries to fix this mess they've made.

It's great they're so concerned about the welfare of the courts.

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

My DragonCon 07 Report

Elven
Valinor

Oct 5 2007, 4:35pm

Post #6 of 6 (585 views)
Shortcut
It may also be .. [In reply to] Can't Post

that due to NL internal email company policy, that NL feel confidently shielded, safe, or a least cant be touched ... as the internal electronic mail system is overhauled every month, and evidence seems to have 'disappeared' or be re-routed... although, I think they should look outside of NewLine for the computer information they require ... it may not lie in NL's system but archived somewhere else now. Nothing is lost ... its out there ... somewhere ... *cue spooky music*

But the fine ...
Its no point in not paying the fine. That has been placed by a judge, and a small price to pay, in the bigger picture of things ...
It would create more controversy and add fuel to the fire to oppose the fine.

... and it reminds me of stalling the inlaws visit until the house is cleaned up after a big party the night before ... you let them in after the cleaning ... theres no trace of the party then is there ... Wink

Patty had a link which she posted in another thread relating to a January timeline for more legal proceedings which was interesting.

The Road Goes Ever On and On ...
Happy 70th Birthday to The Hobbit!!

Tolkien was a Capricorn!
..*sing & sway* "All we are saying ..Is Give Pete A Chance" ...
"Your friends are with you Peter"
Let the Hobbit Happen!!!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.