First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Carne
Tol Eressea

Apr 28 2012, 1:30am

Post #1 of 84 (5336 views)
Shortcut
Peter Jackson responds to complaints about 'The Hobbit' footage Can't Post

http://insidemovies.ew.com/...son-responds-hobbit/
I know we have a couple of threads about the 48 fps etc, but this is from the man himself:.

(This post was edited by Carne on Apr 28 2012, 1:30am)

rings7
Rohan

Apr 28 2012, 1:42am

Post #2 of 84 (2890 views)
Shortcut
Yeah it's more or less what Quickbeam said. [In reply to] Can't Post

But like you said, this is from PJ himself, and i agree. Like anything new, we'll get used to it somehow. Or keep enjoying the 24 if we don't.

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Apr 28 2012, 1:46am

Post #3 of 84 (2814 views)
Shortcut
Hmm... [In reply to] Can't Post

I wish PJ himself would have also reiterated that the footage was unfinished instead of just basically saying you either get used to it or not.

(This post was edited by Estel78 on Apr 28 2012, 1:51am)

Owain
Tol Eressea

Apr 28 2012, 2:08am

Post #4 of 84 (2668 views)
Shortcut
He did say that in the intro @ CinemaCon.// [In reply to] Can't Post

Middle Earth is New Zealand!

"Question everything, embrace the bad, and hold on to the good."

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Apr 28 2012, 2:31am

Post #5 of 84 (2964 views)
Shortcut
It makes me sad. [In reply to] Can't Post

One of the truly great things about the trilogy was how, despite the amount of special effects, it had the look of some great Hollywood epic of old. It seems The Hobbit will swing the pendulum in the other direction and seek to be some new form of entertainment (a sort of hyper realistic experience). That is just honestly not what I wanted from this project. Frown Oh well, there's still the 2D 24fps presentation to be had. It just all rubs me the wrong way though.

Long live film and traditional classic cinema. Heart

"All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds awake to find that it was vanity; But the dreamers of day are dangerous men. That they may act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible."
- T.E. Lawrence

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Apr 28 2012, 2:33am

Post #6 of 84 (2668 views)
Shortcut
I know, that's why i used the word "reiterate". ;) // [In reply to] Can't Post

rings7
Rohan

Apr 28 2012, 2:33am

Post #7 of 84 (2613 views)
Shortcut
I thought he did say that [In reply to] Can't Post

in the third paragraph. But i don't think it matters if he says it or not, everyone there saw the film is still not finished.

Owain
Tol Eressea

Apr 28 2012, 2:36am

Post #8 of 84 (2660 views)
Shortcut
Oh ok. I thought you meant reiterate what others have been saying. [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't really see why he needs to repeat himself.

Middle Earth is New Zealand!

"Question everything, embrace the bad, and hold on to the good."

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 28 2012, 2:39am

Post #9 of 84 (2810 views)
Shortcut
I can understand that.... [In reply to] Can't Post

and part of me also loves the traditional look of LOTR. And up till now I really haven't cared much about the 2D/3D 24/48fps debates. But this has got me interested and thinking.....how often have I and others said that we'd love to travel to Middle-earth and live there for a while? This sounds like this may be as close as one can ever get. And that is an intriguing thought. I also happen to love live theater and I know how easily I can get caught up in the story and forget that I am sitting watching people on a stage. So hopefully I will be able to forget everything and just be immersed in a beautiful world. I'd love that.

I'm sure I'll see it both ways and we'll see which I end up liking best.

Silverlode

"Of all faces those of our familiares are the ones both most difficult to play fantastic tricks with, and most difficult really to see with fresh attention. They have become like the things which once attracted us by their glitter, or their colour, or their shape, and we laid hands on them, and then locked them in our hoard, acquired them, and acquiring ceased to look at them.
Creative fantasy, because it is mainly trying to do something else [make something new], may open your hoard and let all the locked things fly away like cage-birds. The gems all turn into flowers or flames, and you will be warned that all you had (or knew) was dangerous and potent, not really effectively chained, free and wild; no more yours than they were you."
-On Fairy Stories

nobofthepony
Lorien

Apr 28 2012, 2:41am

Post #10 of 84 (2694 views)
Shortcut
Trust PJ [In reply to] Can't Post

The most important part of this article was the reiteration that the film will be released in six formats. WE should all be able to see it how we want to see it.

I will see it first in 2-D 24 frames per second.

Then I'll see it again in 3D 24 frames per second.

After I have experienced the film at least twice, I will take the 48 fps challenge.

If anything we should be glad the multiple formats give us an excuse to see it in the theater multiple times and having a different experience each time.

And come on, this is Peter Jackson, not George Lucas. He is not going to release a sub-par product, especially from a technical aspect.

Fear not the 14th of December.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 28 2012, 3:24am

Post #11 of 84 (2659 views)
Shortcut
I think it's a realistic response from PJ. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
... instead of just basically saying you either get used to it or not.

I like that he has asked that people make up their own minds about 48fps by seeing the film, but acknowledges that anyone who ends up not liking it isn't necessarily wrong - just has a different opinion from him. It's refreshing to see a stance that isn't, "I don't agree with anyone who doesn't agree with me".

Quite pragmatic, really.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Apr 28 2012, 4:00am

Post #12 of 84 (2560 views)
Shortcut
Huzzah! [In reply to] Can't Post

The part about the choices definitely puts my mind at ease. I'm curious to actually see 48fps for myself, but I'm glad I'll be able to run back to 24fps and its comfy familiarity if I don't like it.

As long as there's a theater around me that's showing it in 24fps, that's probably how I'll see it first. I don't want the potential shock of getting used to 48fps to mess with something I've been waiting to see for so long.

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Apr 28 2012, 4:27am

Post #13 of 84 (2636 views)
Shortcut
Dipping, dipping, dipping [In reply to] Can't Post

This can actually be a boon to the studio accountants who realize, if they read comments like those on these forums, that offering multiple options at the theater will generate more revenues from those who want to experience each of those options. So now not only is there 3D or not, there's also each of those and 48 FPS or not. And, oh yeah, IMAX, to increase the permutations. Maybe someday they'll have the Green Tint or no Green Tint versions of each.

The problem with options is that they confuse people. People don't like to be confused, as the exit polls may indicate. Some may wander into the option not of their liking, ignorant of all the ruckus about it, and give it poor word-of-mouth, one of the most important methods of marketing. Promotions and theaters will have to put a lot of effort into educating moviegoers about what these options are and why they exist. This, to some, is a warning sign of "propaganda ahead."

Of course, there will be spin in the hopes to convince us it is a good thing. Cynics often see this being like politicians who say something is a good thing, not because it is a good thing, but because they wish to convince others to invest in their own special interest. Cameron, Lucas and Jackson on 3D, and now 48 FPS, are a lot like that. 3D has always, always been a gimmick. I trust them and manufacturers with a vested interest just a little bit less because it is their vision of a good thing and not necessarily our vision of a good thing. Whether we agree in the end is somehow less relevant.

(This post was edited by JWPlatt on Apr 28 2012, 4:36am)

Bladerunner
Gondor

Apr 28 2012, 4:41am

Post #14 of 84 (2703 views)
Shortcut
Nice response from Peter... [In reply to] Can't Post

I watched the Return of the King four times in theaters, so I will most likely see the Unexpected Journey at least once in each format; however, for my first viewing I'm going all in at the 3D/48 fps.

I'm definitely intrigued, and looking forward to enjoying the visually challenging experience.

Sometimes our most enjoyable experiences occur when we are pushed beyond our comfort zone, and when we walk into situations where we don't have everything already figured out from the start....

Bombadil
Half-elven

Apr 28 2012, 6:11am

Post #15 of 84 (2612 views)
Shortcut
Don't Panic! [In reply to] Can't Post

Didn't Douglas Adams write that
delivered in Movie Form
by a friend we know now as

BILBO BAGGINS?

sometime in our collected future
we will look back..there agian &
LAUGH

GOLDBERRY'S BOY

lurtz2010
Rohan

Apr 28 2012, 6:19am

Post #16 of 84 (2654 views)
Shortcut
what are your thoughts on all the recent negativity Bombadil? [In reply to] Can't Post

have you lost any of your extreme enthusiasm over all this 48fps business?

DanielLB
Immortal

Apr 28 2012, 6:48am

Post #17 of 84 (2601 views)
Shortcut
I think he should [In reply to] Can't Post

Lets us all see the footage, so we can decide for ourselves Laugh

Bombadil
Half-elven

Apr 28 2012, 6:54am

Post #18 of 84 (2663 views)
Shortcut
My Background.. [In reply to] Can't Post

College degree
Communications
Radio TV Film
Film emphasis

Since then Moi
has wandered the
regions of JRRT
maybe too long

Willowman is under
Bombadil's HOUSE arrest ..

redgiraffe
Rohan

Apr 28 2012, 7:22am

Post #19 of 84 (2571 views)
Shortcut
One question I still have [In reply to] Can't Post

People say that Michael Mann filmed his movies in 48fps. And you can clearly tell when watching the trailers (even on youtube) and when watching his blurays that it has a different looks to it.

My question is, will the hobbit have this similar look when it's released on blu ray and not shown on a 48fps screen? If you watch the trailers it doesn't seem to be that way but i'm still not sure.

-Sir are you classified as human
-Negative, I am a meat-popsicle

redgiraffe
Rohan

Apr 28 2012, 7:39am

Post #20 of 84 (2514 views)
Shortcut
Also [In reply to] Can't Post

I am EXTREMELY happy that we can also see the 24fps in 3D and not just 2D. I was feeling a little bummed a few days ago when people said we could either see it in 3D at 48fps or 2D at 24fps. I, honestly like 3D when it's done well like in TRON and AVATAR. And I know the first time I see the hobbit I'm going to see it in 24fps but I also want to see it in 3D. I will at some point see it in 3D at 48fps as well. I just can't believe the studio is giving us that many options. That's pretty awesome of them.

-Sir are you classified as human
-Negative, I am a meat-popsicle

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Apr 28 2012, 11:44am

Post #21 of 84 (2369 views)
Shortcut
Almost had that [In reply to] Can't Post

GDT was dead against 3D for this particular project. It is curious that he left shortly after WB started talking about it... ah but that is ancient history.

Perhaps there is some grading that will be done for the final "print" that builds some of that special cinema essence back in. I'm sure it will look good by the time it hits theatres.

Still, it seems a poor choice of films to launch [what is hoped to be] a new industry standard.

Bombadil
Half-elven

Apr 28 2012, 1:17pm

Post #22 of 84 (2420 views)
Shortcut
All Right Already [In reply to] Can't Post

Your life is running
@60 frames EVERY
Second

THEN why Not
Movies?
What?

The BARROW -WIGHTS
need my attention today
Xoxox Bombarded

Pipe Dream
Gondor

Apr 28 2012, 2:45pm

Post #23 of 84 (2367 views)
Shortcut
It's the same ole' story all over again. [In reply to] Can't Post

The Hobbit having to fight it's battle to be seen. Reserve judgment until you see a finished completed film. Raw footage from any uncompleted film would be sneered at for the simple reason that it's not finished yet. PJ having to defend unfinished film footage is absurd.

"There is a long road yet," said Gandalf. "But it is the last road," said Bilbo.

rings7
Rohan

Apr 28 2012, 3:53pm

Post #24 of 84 (2266 views)
Shortcut
Exactly [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
PJ having to defend unfinished film footage is absurd.

shadowdog
Rohan

Apr 28 2012, 6:30pm

Post #25 of 84 (2208 views)
Shortcut
I hope [In reply to] Can't Post

that the theaters list whether it is 24 or 48 fps just as they list 3D. I can't watch 3D; but am hoping that the reports that 48 fps makes 3D smoother. Would like to see it in 3D.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.