Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Which LOTR character would you expect to fall for the ring's power the easiest eventually?
Poll: Which LOTR character would you expect to fall for the ring's power the easiest eventually?
Gandalf
Frodo
Sam
Boromir
Aragorn
Other...please mention which one
View Results (29 votes)

Morok Cloudkeeper
Rohan

Apr 27 2012, 7:36pm

Post #1 of 14 (379 views)
Shortcut
Which LOTR character would you expect to fall for the ring's power the easiest eventually? Can't Post

Well I know Frodo did get corrupted by its power but got released from it in the end,but I'm wondering what you think how long the others would hold on.

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Apr 27 2012, 7:39pm

Post #2 of 14 (176 views)
Shortcut
Other... [In reply to] Can't Post

Saruman--of course! He's already half-way there.

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Apr 27 2012, 7:39pm)

DanielLB
Immortal

Apr 27 2012, 7:40pm

Post #3 of 14 (179 views)
Shortcut
Boromir! Because he did ...! / [In reply to] Can't Post

Morok Cloudkeeper
Rohan

Apr 27 2012, 7:53pm

Post #4 of 14 (170 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah I know my poll has its flaws,but hey,I think it's still interesting.Wink

FaramirAndEowynMorningStar
Rohan

Apr 27 2012, 8:41pm

Post #5 of 14 (160 views)
Shortcut
Agreed. [In reply to] Can't Post

Bormir is my vote.

DanielLB
Immortal

Apr 27 2012, 8:41pm

Post #6 of 14 (232 views)
Shortcut
hehe I'm only winding you up [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink
Sam fell pretty quickly for its powers!

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Apr 28 2012, 1:51pm

Post #7 of 14 (143 views)
Shortcut
Why so few options? [In reply to] Can't Post

We've already seen how each of these characters react to the Ring and how long they can resist it - and that the answer is Boromir.

It is an interesting question, how each of the characters would reat to it. However, all too often it's seen as a question of who of them are "good" or "evil", completly missing the point of the Ring's temptation. Some fans seem to think being drawn to the Ring is a sign of bad morals, which is annoying and unfair to the characters. When discussing who would fall first, we should talk about what such deep, acute needs these characters have that the Ring can claim to them it can somehow satisfy.

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Apr 28 2012, 2:08pm

Post #8 of 14 (180 views)
Shortcut
"Why?" instead of "who?" [In reply to] Can't Post

might have been more tantalizing question, taken that we already know the answer to the question "who?" Sorry if I'm putting you down, I'm really intrigued by this subject aswell.

I think the order in which they give into the Ring could be:

1. Boromir - has lots of fears that the Ring can manipulate, plus his pride prevents him from understanding his own weaknesses
2. Aragorn - might have even more to lose than Boromir, yet wiser and less proud so would hold on longer
3. Frodo - quite a humble person, but his worrying over the fate of Shire could be a weak point; also at some points there are hints of the pride that exist in every single person
4. Gandalf - his wisdom and humility would protect him for long, but the power of his dreams and fears would eventually make him fall with disastrous resulst
5. Sam - there's very little the Ring has to offer to someone as humble, simple and down-to-earth as him; naturally he's not immune but he has the best chances

diedye
Grey Havens

Apr 29 2012, 3:02am

Post #9 of 14 (222 views)
Shortcut
Denethor.... [In reply to] Can't Post

... because he had to stare across at Mordor every day of his life, knowing that there lay the doom of his city and his people and the temptation that the Ring would be the one thing that could save them is what led him to sacrifice his own sons (not to mention his own sanity), which I think, apart from the Hobbits, makes him the first person (with good intentions) to fall to its temptation.

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

May 1 2012, 10:51am

Post #10 of 14 (116 views)
Shortcut
Well Gollum no? [In reply to] Can't Post

Shocked

DanielLB
Immortal

May 1 2012, 11:04am

Post #11 of 14 (120 views)
Shortcut
Metaphorically or physically fall for the Ring ;-) / [In reply to] Can't Post

sador
Half-elven

May 1 2012, 11:46am

Post #12 of 14 (125 views)
Shortcut
Elves first. wizards second. Mortals might be saved by grace. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Finwe
Lorien

May 19 2012, 12:18am

Post #13 of 14 (97 views)
Shortcut
Lobelia [In reply to] Can't Post

She would have snatched that thing up and started Armageddon in about 1.8 seconds.

Sam20
Lorien

May 20 2012, 4:52pm

Post #14 of 14 (209 views)
Shortcut
The Ring [In reply to] Can't Post

Boromir seems like a good choice for clearly he feels the lust of the Ring since he first got sight of it and heard of it's power. But to pick another one I'll go with our dear Orc Grėshnak (I hope I spell his name correctly) for already Grėshnak is a wicked and evil creature and the Ring would have got hold of him in the blink of an eye. In The Two Towers when he heard that Pippin may have it on him he tries to snatch it from him. No doubt if that was true he would have keeping it for himself and not for Mordor.

(This post was edited by sam90 on May 20 2012, 4:56pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.