Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Discuss Quickbeam's CinemaCon report here.
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next page Last page  View All

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Apr 30 2012, 12:50pm

Post #176 of 188 (2782 views)
Shortcut
They might have been a little tall for a Hobbit?// [In reply to] Can't Post

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

DanielLB
Immortal

Apr 30 2012, 12:53pm

Post #177 of 188 (2751 views)
Shortcut
Walk on their knees? :-D / [In reply to] Can't Post

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Apr 30 2012, 4:14pm

Post #178 of 188 (2747 views)
Shortcut
But not a little short for a Stormtrooper! [In reply to] Can't Post

TongueTongueTongue

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, with axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

Lacrimae Rerum
Grey Havens

Apr 30 2012, 5:39pm

Post #179 of 188 (2732 views)
Shortcut
No i think ive obviously completely failed to explain myself. [In reply to] Can't Post

I really was just talking about what is inherently credible or incredible within stories, not what is good or bad. But I don't think I'm communicating effectively and I think I'm out of ideas about how to do so.

LR

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Apr 30 2012, 7:46pm

Post #180 of 188 (2735 views)
Shortcut
That link apparently won't work? [In reply to] Can't Post

I tried googling it, but can't find it. :(

Maybe they could look similar to their "twilight" forms which Frodo sees when he puts on the Ring?

"...For if joyful is the fountain that rises in the sun, its springs are in the wells of sorrow unfathomed at the foundations of the Earth"

(This post was edited by QuackingTroll on Apr 30 2012, 7:47pm)

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Apr 30 2012, 8:55pm

Post #181 of 188 (2745 views)
Shortcut
Here it is: [In reply to] Can't Post

Had to re-size:

http://newboards.theonering.net/...atest_reply;so=DESC;

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, with axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Apr 30 2012, 10:36pm

Post #182 of 188 (2713 views)
Shortcut
I am not just talking about good or bad [In reply to] Can't Post

Those terms are subjective anyway. I am talking about whether an adaptation needs to adhere at all to the work upon which it is based, particularly when it is intended as a relatively faithful adaptation/REpresentation, and not merely a generically derivitive work. I am talking about whether what is presented in the adaptation needs to sync up at all with what is known about the original work.

In Reply To
I really was just talking about what is inherently credible or incredible within stories, not what is good or bad. But I don't think I'm communicating effectively and I think I'm out of ideas about how to do so.

LR

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Lacrimae Rerum
Grey Havens

Apr 30 2012, 11:11pm

Post #183 of 188 (2693 views)
Shortcut
Yep gotcha but I'm not [In reply to] Can't Post

Talking about what an adaptation needs to do either.

LR

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Apr 30 2012, 11:49pm

Post #184 of 188 (2699 views)
Shortcut
I know, Lacrimae [In reply to] Can't Post

You were reffering only to internal consistency. But I am saying that, in the case of a staight adaptation (as opposed to general derivative works or parodies) the secondary work needs to keep an eye towards external consistency with its source, i.e. its internal consistency needs to incorporate a large measure of the structure of and maintain a relatively high level of consistancy with its source canon.

Otherwise this still applies, " you can have an 'adaptation' of The Hobbit in which Smaug is a humanoid giant and not a dragon at all, and in which Thror and Thrain survived and are alongside the other dwarves in a company of 15 rather than 13, in which Beorn The Half-Giant is master of Rivendell, and is waited on night and day by a host of naked Elf servant lads and servant ladies, all managed by a cross dressing Elrond Half-Elven. Such a tale can be entirely internally consistent with itself, and yet be outrageously (if amusingly) out of touch with its source material." Again, If the only standards for consistency in an adaptation are that the adaptation be consistent with itself, source material be damned, then Lord of The G-Strings (and yes, there is such a film lol) could be considered as legitimate an adaptation of the Lord of The Rings Novels as Peter's trilogy.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Lacrimae Rerum
Grey Havens

Apr 30 2012, 11:59pm

Post #185 of 188 (2697 views)
Shortcut
Nope [In reply to] Can't Post

Really, really, really, I'm talking about what is inherently credible or incredible. And now I'm going to be really firm with myself and not come back on this thread again. If I do shoot me.

LR

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

May 1 2012, 12:02am

Post #186 of 188 (2703 views)
Shortcut
I wouldn't do that to ya. [In reply to] Can't Post

And perhaps I am now wasting words, but credibility is tied to consistency, though that is a long conversation to have, if had properly.

Night Wolf
Rivendell

May 1 2012, 7:13am

Post #187 of 188 (2684 views)
Shortcut
Word of Sackcloth and Ash [In reply to] Can't Post

And the Lord said unto Moses and unto Aaron, Take to you handfuls of ashes of the furnace, and let Moses sprinkle it toward the heaven in the sight of Pharaoh. And it shall become small dust in all the land of Egypt, and shall be a boil breaking forth with blains upon man, and upon beast, throughout all the land of Egypt. And they took ashes of the furnace, and stood before Pharaoh; and Moses sprinkled it up toward heaven; and it became a boil breaking forth with blains upon man, and upon beast. (Exodus)

Self-Abasement is a rite. It is ash upon the head, a reproach upon oneself. The worshiper submits humbly to God for mercy, to be spared His affliction...which seems appropriate being how sick I've been the past few days. Why do the righteous suffer? It feels good to be getting better. You have to hope.

Why do the righteous suffer, His wrath? Job 2:8

I couldn't tell you, literally. I'd only divulge my human error.

...it can be hard to adhere with perfection.

That's within context of the source material, of course. An adaption, when it's wrong to speak of such things to John Tolkien.

Klaatu... Verata... Necktie. Nectar. Nickel, Noodle...Nikto!

(This post was edited by Night Wolf on May 1 2012, 7:16am)

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

May 1 2012, 10:06am

Post #188 of 188 (3013 views)
Shortcut
Professor John Ronald Reuel Tolkien [In reply to] Can't Post

Was known as Ronald in his family. As far as I know he never went as John.

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.