Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
**Founder's Day: Let's cook up some Middle-earth meals!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 26 2012, 3:42pm

Post #1 of 10 (729 views)
Shortcut
**Founder's Day: Let's cook up some Middle-earth meals! Can't Post

Each Founder's Day celebration, we've introduced a new TORn-centric activity to commemorate the day (Annual Founder's Day Party, Mathom-house, etc.). We've had some nifty cookbooks during the life of TORn, and have shared some yummy meals. This year... how about we make an official TORn Cookbook of Middle-earth themed recipes where we gather our past, present, and future recipes and keep them handy for all to enjoy? I think we're also going to have to come up with a killer name for it! Got any ideas?

Starting today, please share your Middle-earth recipes [put word RECIPE in subject field] and be sure to designate if they're for:

Hobbits
Elves
Men (from Kings to Ruffians)
Dwarves
Wizards
Ents
Orcs
Uruk-hai
Beasts
or Others

Submit as many as you like, and keep them as true to the theme as possible. I'll gather them up and start building a book that will be easily accessible by a link (to be announced). Even after the party has died down, I'll occasionally put out a call for recipes... so feel free to keep being creative!
Happy Founder's Day!!!

sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Apr 26 2012, 4:11pm

Post #2 of 10 (529 views)
Shortcut
Recipe for the dwarves in the mines of Moria [In reply to] Can't Post

I previously posted this in the old recipe thread from a few years ago.

I think a Cornish pasty might be a reasonable thing for the dwarves to have carried into Moria.

Anyway, pasties (pronounced "past-tees", with a short "a") were little pie-like things that the Cornish miners carried for their lunch into the mines. They were pretty self-contained, with all the meat and vegetables tucked inside the pastry. They could be wrapped up and kept hot, and some miners' wives even made them with dessert in one end. You just put your apple pie filling in one end, sealed it with a slice of potatoe, and put the meat and vegetables in the other end. Pretty clever, if you ask me.

Everybody's got their favorite recipe, some more sacriligious than others. Mine is "sacriligious" because I like to eat it with brown gravy, which would not have worked out in the mines. My cousins eat theirs with ketchup, which I can't even look at.

Cornish Pasty, the way I make it.
Pie dough recipe of your choice, to make four 8 inch crusts. (*whispers* I have been know to use store-bought dough, but it's a little too thin and flaky. You need one that is rolled out and slightly tough, so you can tuck the pasty into your pocket!)

1 lb. ground beef, lightly browned and cooled
2 potatoes, cut into small pieces
1 cup shredded or matchstick carrots
1 onion, cut into small pieces
1 tablespoon dried parsley
salt and pepper to taste
butter or margarine

Preheat oven to 425.
Mix all ingredients, except butter.
Divide onto the four 8-inch pastry rounds.
Add a plop of butter to each one.
Fold dough over to get a half circle and crimp edges together. Don't let the filling poke through.
Make 3-4 slits in pastry to allow steam to escape during baking.
Put on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, or lightly greased.
Bake at 425 for 10 minutes, then turn down to 325 and bake 50-60 minutes more.

Makes four pasties, enough for 4 men, 2 hobbits, or 2 dwarves.

My grandfather was a miner in Butte, Montana, and often talked about pasties. They called it a letter from 'ome.

And suddenly the Tornadoes saw afar off a greenlight, as it were a cloud with a living heart of flame;
and they knew that this was no vision only, but that PJ had made a new thing: The Hobbit, the Film that Is.

Magpie
Immortal

Apr 26 2012, 8:13pm

Post #3 of 10 (500 views)
Shortcut
ooh... good choice! [In reply to] Can't Post

We buy pasties whenever we're in Cornish immigrant mining areas: Upper Peninsula of Michigan or Mineral Point, Wisconsin. There is even a restaurant here in town that makes them. (or did)

I also used to buy them frozen (Captain Jack's). Good lunches - if cut in half. They are quite hearty.

people will correct you quickly if you say paste-ies... with a long a! Those are the things that strippers wear.

LOTR soundtrack website
magpie avatar gallery ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

Apr 26 2012, 10:43pm

Post #4 of 10 (483 views)
Shortcut
Fit for a dwarven King to be sure! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Hmm let me think up summat....

The Lord of the Hams:

There is only one lord of the ham...and he does not share ham

If this is indeed the ham of the council, Hamdor will fry it done.

This is no rabble of mindless porks, these are Hamak-Hai: their steak is thick, and their bacon broad

(courtesy of moreham and HamTheEast)

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Apr 26 2012, 10:54pm

Post #5 of 10 (491 views)
Shortcut
It's impossible to get wrong [In reply to] Can't Post

after reading enough of The Cat Who... series -- which I'm re-reading now, as a matter of fact -- Can't forget a restaurant called The Nasty Pasty!

*sigh* I really need to get back to Michigan again.

NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd
NARF: NWtS Chapter Member since June 17,2011

weaver
Half-elven

Apr 26 2012, 11:45pm

Post #6 of 10 (493 views)
Shortcut
How about an Uruk-hai Manwich Meal? [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't cook, but I came up with a little something with some help from Google...here you go!

(Please note, I have included both the traditional ingredients and some things you can substitute if you can't get the real thing...)
Directions:
  1. Fry the man or beef and drain the fat.
  2. Add remaining ingredients to the skillet and bring to a boil.
  3. Lower heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
  4. Serve with toasted buns (!) with your favorite condiments.

Fun project, gramma -- and you picked a great day to kick it off! If ever there was a cookbook for me, this would be the one! Thanks!

Weaver

acheron
Gondor

Apr 27 2012, 1:03am

Post #7 of 10 (497 views)
Shortcut
I posted a hobbit mushroom soup recipe last year [In reply to] Can't Post

Since we're using "past" recipes.

For instance, on the planet Earth, man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much -- the wheel, New York, wars, and so on -- while all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man, for precisely the same reasons. -- Douglas Adams

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 29 2012, 12:47am

Post #8 of 10 (499 views)
Shortcut
Hobbity Tater recipes [In reply to] Can't Post

For me, one of the logical places to start are with POTATOES! And those belong with HOBBITS!! Each of these are made with (hopefully) ingredients time/theme appropriate. Dig in! :D

Baked Potato Soup
1 ½ pounds all-purpose potatoes, scrubbed and pierced in several places. Bake at 375 for 1 hour or until easily pierced with a knife or fork. Set on counter to cool. (Tip: Keep skins as intact as possible to use for stuffed potato skins (see below)) Cut cooled potatoes in half and scoop out into bowl. Leave some potato on the skin to give it strength and flavour.
½ tablespoon butter or margarine
½ - ¾ cup finely chopped onions
1 tablespoon minced garlic
2 cups chicken broth
1 ½ cups milk
Salt and pepper to taste
Toppings:
Shredded Cheddar cheese
Crumbled crispy fried bacon
Chopped scallions and/or chives
Croutons
Melt butter in a 4- to 6-quart pot over medium low heat. Stir in onions and garlic; sauté 10 minutes until soft, but not brown. Add 2/3 of the potatoes and mash with a potato masher. Add broth, milk, salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally. Cut remaining potatoes in small cubes. Add to soup and stir gently to reheat. Spoon into bowls and sprinkle each serving with toppings.

Stuffed Potato Skins
Use the 8 Scrubbed and baked potato skins left over from your pot of potato soup (makes 16 servings).
Pan fry ¼ to ½ package of bacon and/or sausage
Sauté sliced onions and mushrooms in butter or with frying bacon.
Diced tomatoes
Shredded lettuce
Shredded or sliced yellow cheese
Set empty potato skins in a 9 x 12 pan or cookie sheet. Fill the bottom of each skin with a handful of crispy bacon bits, onions, and mushrooms. Top with shredded or sliced yellow cheese. Set under pre-heated broiler for 5-10 minutes or until cheese is melted and browned.
Optional: Top with diced tomatoes, shredded lettuce, chopped scallions and chives. If they can figure out how to make it, some sour cream would be great, too!

Fried Potato Patties
5 baking potatoes
2 small onions, quartered
3 eggs
3 tbsp flour Salt and pepper to taste (approx 1/4 tsp of each)
Lard (or vegetable) oil for cooking
Sour cream and/or ketsup
Peel potatoes and alternately shred with onioins. Place in colander and squeeze out as much moisture as possible with your hands, discarding liquid. Transfer to a large bowl. Mix in eggs, flour, salt and pepper; let stand for 5 minutes and pour off any liquid. In a large skillet, heat 1/4 inch of lard/oil over high heat until hot, but not smoking. Add 1/4 cup mixture per patty, about an inch between each one; press and form slightly with fork. Should be able to see little holes thru the patty to look "lacy". Fry for 3 minutes on each side until well browned and crispy. Drain on paper towels and serve immediately with sour cream or ketsup. Makes about 20 patties.

sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Apr 29 2012, 12:53am)

Ruxendil_Thoorg
Tol Eressea

Apr 29 2012, 2:55am

Post #9 of 10 (496 views)
Shortcut
Eggs Easterling, an exotic "barbarian" breakfast [In reply to] Can't Post

Eggs Easterling -- not for the faint of heart. Its a fusion dish, combining East with West, that may have developed in Esgaroth as an homage to Easterling culinary sensibilities as learned over time through trading.

You'll need:

Eggs. Scrambled, fried, omelette, or as preferred.

Ham steak, cut into half-inch wide strips before frying

Crispy dried seaweed, prepared and slightly sweetened to mellow the saltiness.

kimchi (the fermented napa cabbage with chilis and other spices),

pineapple, fresh ripe, chunks or as preferred

Potatoes, shredded into hash browns (or substitute with sweet potato,, or just use fried rice for a more Eastern style.

This "recipe" does not detail the preparation method for the eggs, ham, or hashbrowns. Each of those is to be made per individual preference and method.

Put the egg, ham steak, pineapple chunks, hashbrowns, seaweed, and kimchi on the same plate. Enjoy the diversity of colors before digging in. It helps to like kimchi, but even if you've never had it, this dish might serve as an accessible gateway into that world of flavor. Be prepared, its spicy hot! But not much hotter than tossing Tobasco on your eggs and hasbrowns as some do. Also, the hash browns and the pineapple wil set off and mellow out the hotness.

Kimchi is not something a newly-travelled Hobbit would like right away. There are ingredients in there other than chilis and cabbage including tiny shrimp found commonly in IRL Asian cuisines. It takes getting used to--and totally worth it IMO. the Koreans are fiercely proud of their kimchi.

Btw there are many different variaties of kimchi than what i mentioned.

The prepared seaweed is available at Asian grocery stores. The prepared kimchi is available at Korean, and possibly other types of Asian, grocery stores. I imagine the people of Rhun may have cultivated seaweed from the Sea of Rhun amd may have gotten pineapples through trade with the Haradrim.

I've had it with the eggs, seaweed, kimchi and and with toast instead of hashbrowns, its amazing. I haven't yet had it with ham and the hash browns. I imagine the combination should work and I intend to try it. The seaweed and kimchi complememr each other. The pineapple mellows the kimchi and contrasts with the salt of the seaweed. The hashbrowns absorbs the chili kimchi hotness. The eggs goes great with the kimchi and the seaweed, and of course it also goes great with ham, which goes great with pineapple. The egg acts like a go-between for the kimchi& seaweed on one side and the ham and hashbrowns on the other.

A bag is like a hole that you can carry with you.

http://newboards.theonering.net/...rum.cgi?post=424021;

FaramirAndEowynMorningStar
Rohan

Apr 29 2012, 1:26pm

Post #10 of 10 (519 views)
Shortcut
Taters, preciousss! [In reply to] Can't Post

They sound like PERFECT recipes. Smile

......"Since the first time I met you,
..I couldn't seem to forget you.
.......And lately I seem to find,
..That you're always on my mind.
.......Whenever I see you smile,
..It makes my life so very worthwhile.
......And ever since the very start,
.....You have always been there in my heart.
..Then I heard that you felt the same way,
......And those words were so easy to say."

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.