Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Most heartbreaking movie moment?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: Most heartbreaking movie moment?
Frodo and Sam (on their way to Bree) watching the Elves leave ME
Gandalf's fall to the Balrog (and the tears that ensued)
Boromir's death/redemption scene
Seeing the women and children hiding the caves of Helm's Deep
Haldir's death
Smeagol killing Deagol on the riverbank
Frodo sending Sam away, on the stairs of Cirith Ungol
King Theoden's death
Gollum's fall
Frodo's departure from ME at the Grey Havens
Another? Let's hear about it...
View Results (237 votes)

Nuradar
Rohan

Apr 25 2012, 5:50pm

Post #1 of 42 (1321 views)
Shortcut
Most heartbreaking movie moment? Can't Post

We all know there are many emotional scenes in the movies, and some of these are just downright heartbreaking.

Which of these are the most heartbreaking for you? Multiple answers are permitted.

I'm sure there are other scenes I haven't included here. If there is another one you feel strongly about, I'd love to read about it...

Nuradar

(This post was edited by Nuradar on Apr 25 2012, 5:51pm)

DanielLB
Immortal

Apr 25 2012, 5:59pm

Post #2 of 42 (446 views)
Shortcut
I went for the Grey Havens and Frodo [In reply to] Can't Post

But I think the most hearbreaking moment, which you didn't mention, is Frodo and Sam on the rock waiting for they think will be the end. They have finished the quest, but now will die. That is heartbreaking

Elizabeth
Valinor

Apr 25 2012, 6:21pm

Post #3 of 42 (414 views)
Shortcut
Other: "I can carry you..." // [In reply to] Can't Post

Nuradar
Rohan

Apr 25 2012, 6:36pm

Post #4 of 42 (392 views)
Shortcut
yes, I forgot that one [In reply to] Can't Post

Indeed DanielLB, that is truly a heartbreaking moment. Especially when Sam talks about marrying Rosie, and harvesting strawberries....very gutwrenching stuff. Thanks!

Nuradar
Rohan

Apr 25 2012, 6:39pm

Post #5 of 42 (393 views)
Shortcut
very emotional [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks Elizabeth. That's truly an emotional moment, but personally, I don't consider it heartbreaking. I put it in the same realm of "My friends...you bow to noone." An emotional moment, but one of valour and inspriation. But I love that line, especially how Sean Astin delivers it; he almost seems angry he's so determined. Very awesome. Thanks!

DanielLB
Immortal

Apr 25 2012, 6:39pm

Post #6 of 42 (398 views)
Shortcut
If I hadn't watched it so many times [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd probably blub like a baby Wink

FaramirAndEowynMorningStar
Rohan

Apr 25 2012, 7:02pm

Post #7 of 42 (439 views)
Shortcut
This is a good question [In reply to] Can't Post

and I must admit, I was a little bit upset when Gandalf fell in Moria. If that didn't get me going then it was Boromir getting killed and if that didn't get me crying, it had to be Sam drowning in the next scene that made my tears come...

So my vote goes for Boromir's death and the Grey Havens.

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Apr 25 2012, 8:51pm

Post #8 of 42 (400 views)
Shortcut
1. Boromir 2. Gandalf 3. Smeagol [In reply to] Can't Post

I dislike the Grey Havens scene in the movies. I love it in the book though.

Chopsta123
Gondor

Apr 25 2012, 8:54pm

Post #9 of 42 (379 views)
Shortcut
another one [In reply to] Can't Post

is when Gimli discovers Balins Tomb and that many of his fellows have been killed.

Nightingale
Rohan

Apr 25 2012, 9:02pm

Post #10 of 42 (381 views)
Shortcut
"Don't go where I can't follow"// [In reply to] Can't Post

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Apr 26 2012, 1:46am

Post #11 of 42 (390 views)
Shortcut
Little boys putting on armor at Helm's Deep. [In reply to] Can't Post

As a mom, that really gets me every time.

Nuradar
Rohan

Apr 26 2012, 11:34am

Post #12 of 42 (388 views)
Shortcut
I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

I think the most heartbreaking for me is Boromir's death, also. Gandalf's fall is made less so because we know he'll return is Gandalf the White. The Grey Havens is a close second for me though. Thanks!

Nuradar
Rohan

Apr 26 2012, 11:35am

Post #13 of 42 (338 views)
Shortcut
Nice. [In reply to] Can't Post

Why do you dislike the Grey Havens scene?

For me, I still can't be comfortable with the fact that Frodo leaves. I understand he's not the same person he was before the quest, but to leave your home, your best friends, and your way of life still doesn't make sense to me. I hope that one day I'll understand that.

Thanks Faenoriel.

Nuradar
Rohan

Apr 26 2012, 11:36am

Post #14 of 42 (336 views)
Shortcut
Yes! [In reply to] Can't Post

Excellent call Chopsta, that is indeed a very sad moment. Thanks!!

Nuradar
Rohan

Apr 26 2012, 11:40am

Post #15 of 42 (370 views)
Shortcut
oooooooh [In reply to] Can't Post

that's a good one Nightingale! Excellent line - very heartbreaking for sure. Thanks!!!

Nuradar
Rohan

Apr 26 2012, 11:41am

Post #16 of 42 (346 views)
Shortcut
Oh my, how did I miss that one? [In reply to] Can't Post

You're right Aunt Dora, that is truly a gut wrenching moment, seeing those 12-year-old boys putting on chainmail and armor and grabbing swords that are probably too heavy for them to swing. Brutal.

Thanks for bringing that to our attention, excellent!

Nightingale
Rohan

Apr 26 2012, 11:51am

Post #17 of 42 (376 views)
Shortcut
Also [In reply to] Can't Post

the bit where the soldiers are leaving Minas Tirith for the final assault on Osgiliath (?), and all of the women are giving them flowers and crying. Reminds me of a funeral procession somehow.

Nuradar
Rohan

Apr 26 2012, 1:33pm

Post #18 of 42 (368 views)
Shortcut
Yes, nice one. [In reply to] Can't Post

Faramir is so darn brave in that scene, it's hard not to get choked up. Especially when they're on the field advancing toward Osgiliath and he raises his sword and yells "charge!". Goosebumps.

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Apr 26 2012, 5:14pm

Post #19 of 42 (430 views)
Shortcut
The Rohirrim mother sending her kids away during the village raid... [In reply to] Can't Post

... and their reunion at Helm's Deep. Talk about bravery - a mom trusting her kids to whatever may come because there's no other way, and then finding each other again. Gets me every time.

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Apr 26 2012, 9:43pm

Post #20 of 42 (354 views)
Shortcut
Because it's just not sad enough for me [In reply to] Can't Post

The logic part of my brain says it's supposed to be sad, because these characters aren't going to see each other ever again, and then they cry. But the emotional part of my brain gets nothing. For some reason it doesn't feel sad. Actually it looks kind of cheesy.

Plus I'm bothered by the design of the Grey Havens. I'd want to see the Sea, the horizon. But the city could aswell be on the shores of a lake nested between mountains.

The scene being all golden and rosy doesn't help it - they went for that colour palette to invoke the feeling of exotic harbours taking you to somewhere else, but IMO it doesn't work. The Grey Havens should be grey, dim, and rainy. It's both the place of death and rebirth, but in the context of the story, it should mainly be a place of figurative death; farewells, loss and silence. We're trapped on the shores of Middle-Earth, and everything that is ancient, good, wise and beautiful is sailing away from us, while we helplessly watch.

Of course, this is all only how I feel about it.

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Apr 28 2012, 6:46am

Post #21 of 42 (330 views)
Shortcut
This is going to be a long post [In reply to] Can't Post

Listing scenes chronologically that bring a big lump to my throat (*) /make me cry like a baby(**):

*Gandalf's fall , more specifically, the reaction of the Fellowship to his fall.

**Boromir's death and redemption as well as the taking of Pippen and Merry by the Uruks.

**Sam following Frodo, nearly drowning, being saved, and his "Don't you leave him" speech.
---
*Eowyn believing that Aragorn had died, then seeing that he was alive but watching Legolas give him Arwen's necklace knowing that her love was unrequited.

*Yes, the boys preparing for battle, and I'm not even a mother.

**Frodo attacking Sam, putting the sword to his throat and Sam's, "Don't you know your old Sam?" with a tear running down his cheek. Frodo's dejection, "I can't do this", and Sam's stirring "It's like in the old stories" speech. Though it's uplifting, it comes when things seem so very bleak. I'm a mess every time I watch that.

---

*Faramir heading out to battle to try to earn his father's approval.

*Sam finally admitting that there will probably not be a return journey.

*Theoden's death and Eowyn's mourning.

*Eomere finding Eowyn, thinking she is dead.

**Frodo dangling over the lava with a look of exhausted resignation in his eyes and Sam's cry of "Don't you let go! Reach!!!"

**Sam and Frodo on the rock.

**Grey Havens, mostly because it's the end of the films and I know there's no more to come.

DanielLB
Immortal

Apr 28 2012, 6:54am

Post #22 of 42 (332 views)
Shortcut
Good list [In reply to] Can't Post

Will have to agree with you here zarabia. They are all heartbreaking scenes

Spencissimus
Lorien

Apr 28 2012, 12:05pm

Post #23 of 42 (364 views)
Shortcut
I rate heartbreaking based on how much I bawl my eyes out during the scene so... [In reply to] Can't Post

...mine are when Boromir dies and gets his send-off, when Theoden dies, when Frodo and Gandalf leave ME, and (last but certainly not least) when the Rohirrim charge across the Pelennor (although they're mostly tears of joy at the awesomeness of that scene!)

Hamfast
Rohan

Apr 28 2012, 5:57pm

Post #24 of 42 (355 views)
Shortcut
I picked Frodo at the Grey Havens but.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Arwen has many tearjerkers as well. The scene with Elrond where he asks if he is in her heart....the visual of Arwen standing by Aragorn's tomb with Rivendell in ruins in the background always gets me....Arwen's vision of her son is another one.....but I sob like a 6 year old at the Grey Havens when Frodo says goodbye to the Hobbits Frown

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 29 2012, 4:41pm

Post #25 of 42 (377 views)
Shortcut
The one where I sobbed uncontrollably [In reply to] Can't Post

was Frodo's departure at the Havens. I was completely lost in the sadness.

But among others that hit me very hard are

Gandalf's fall and the Fellowship's devastation.
Theoden's death
*wups... here come the tears*
Boromir's death

and not on your list

Eomer's cries when he finds Eowyn at Pelennor
Frodo and Sam above the lava flow remembering the Shire
Arwen at the visions of 1) Elessar's death & 2) Eldarion and Elessar

There are others... but these come to my mind first. Now I need to console myself with some ice cream *snifffle* or hug my kitty FeBea.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.