Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
The loveable love stories of Midde-Earth
Poll: The loveable love stories of Midde-Earth
Tulkas/Nessa
Thingol/Melian
Finwë/Míriel
Finwë/Indis
Fëanor/Nerdanel
Celeborn/Galadriel (in any of its versions)
Finrod/Amarië
Aegnor/Andreth
Beren/Lúthien
Gwindor/Finduilas
Húrin/Morwen
Túrin/Niënor
Eöl/Aredhel
Maeglin/Idril (one sided)
Tuor/Idril
Eärendil/Elwing
Aldarion/Erendis
Amroth/Nimrodel
Elrond/Celebrían
Arathorn/Gilraen
Aragorn/Arwen
Faramir/Éowyn
Sam/Rosie
Tom/Goldberry
Other
View Results (146 votes)

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Apr 23 2012, 5:03pm

Post #1 of 18 (465 views)
Shortcut
The loveable love stories of Midde-Earth Can't Post

Which of them do you love? Listed from the oldest to the newest, somewhat. Vote for ALL the love stories that you are really fond of, as there's lots of options, and I don't want to get just the most obvious answers. Of course, voting for every single option isn't desirable either.

Edit/ I wrote "Golderry" instead of "Goldberry". Could someone fix that irksome mistake for me?

(This post was edited by dernwyn on Apr 23 2012, 8:32pm)

FaramirAndEowynMorningStar
Rohan

Apr 23 2012, 5:17pm

Post #2 of 18 (230 views)
Shortcut
I love three of the love stories here... [In reply to] Can't Post

Beren/Lúthien, Aragorn/Arwen and well, my username explains this one Faramir/Éowyn.Wink
Although, now that I think about it, all of the love stories are so sweet in their own ways. Smile

DanielLB
Immortal

Apr 23 2012, 5:17pm

Post #3 of 18 (236 views)
Shortcut
Me and a fence [In reply to] Can't Post

I always like to sit on the fence when it comes to these important decisions! Wink I would say all, of course, because they are all truly great in there own way.

But I can't not vote for Beren and Luthien. It doesn't even need to be explained why!

RosieLass
Valinor

Apr 23 2012, 8:21pm

Post #4 of 18 (218 views)
Shortcut
I picked three of them. [In reply to] Can't Post

Beren/Lúthien are the top pick because they are the love story to end all love stories. (And I didn't pick Aragorn/Arwen, because they just seem like a B/L do-over.)

My other two choices were Faramir/Éowyn and Sam/Rosie.

The others I'm either not that familiar with them or I think they're pathetic, sad, or just not that interesting. Or one of the partners (*coff coff* Fëanor *coff coff*) is too much of a **** to be loveable.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 23 2012, 8:38pm

Post #5 of 18 (227 views)
Shortcut
Hey derry dol! [In reply to] Can't Post

Goldberry's all fixed, now!

Hm, looks like I'm the only one so far who included Amroth/Nimrodel in my selections. They have such a sad, romantic story - and have caused some interesting discussions as to what happened to her in the White Mountains.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Apr 24 2012, 12:59am

Post #6 of 18 (236 views)
Shortcut
The two I'm most fond of [In reply to] Can't Post

are Aldarion/Erendis and Eol/Aredhel. Neither of them turns out well at all, but they're both so well written and very engaging. The Eol/Aredhel story I've read many times in The Silmarillion and throughout HOME in it's variations. But it's been years since I've picked up The Mariner's Wife. It's such a pity that Tolkien never finished it; it's a wonderful tale and one of the very rare stories from the Second Age.

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Apr 24 2012, 6:00am

Post #7 of 18 (211 views)
Shortcut
Ah, to use a very old American saying . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

you are a mug-wump. This is a person on a fence with his mug on one side and his wump on the other! Wink

DanielLB
Immortal

Apr 24 2012, 7:00am

Post #8 of 18 (237 views)
Shortcut
Yes, that's me! [In reply to] Can't Post

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure Wink

RosieLass
Valinor

Apr 24 2012, 10:34pm

Post #9 of 18 (231 views)
Shortcut
Wasn't it Pumbaa in "The Lion King" who said: [In reply to] Can't Post

"You got to put your behind in your past."

Laugh

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Apr 25 2012, 7:19am

Post #10 of 18 (200 views)
Shortcut
Huh, I wouldn't know . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

I never saw Lion King! Obviously I am culturally illiterate.

HappyHobbitess
Rohan

Apr 25 2012, 1:39pm

Post #11 of 18 (207 views)
Shortcut
is that what a mugwump is?! [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been meaning to look it up for a long time. I was actually introduced to the word in the Harry Potter books, where one of Dumbledore's titles was "Supreme Mugwump." I figured it didn't really mean whatever Rowling was using it to mean in Dumbledore's case, but I never got around to pulling out my dictionary.

Learn something new every day!

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Apr 26 2012, 10:22am

Post #12 of 18 (163 views)
Shortcut
Okey Dokey! [In reply to] Can't Post

Back in the dark ages (early 60s) when I was in high school, in an American History book, was a political cartoon of a man dressed in 19th century dress perching on a picket fence. It was regarding not being able to make up one's mind about something political. The particulars of the political subject are lost in the mists of time. There are lots of these strange sayings in the past. I suppose people in 100 years will shake their heads at some of our sayings!

As per Harry Potter, I wonder if the British used the saying the same way the Americans did -- after all we almost speak the same language!

Symbelmine
Rohan

Apr 26 2012, 3:49pm

Post #13 of 18 (207 views)
Shortcut
You forgot about [In reply to] Can't Post

Legolas/SymbelmineHeart
just kidding Tongue

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Apr 26 2012, 5:06pm

Post #14 of 18 (168 views)
Shortcut
I was about to add the option "me/character" [In reply to] Can't Post

but decided to be all boring and serious. Tongue Another considered and ultimately rejected possibility was Tolkien/Edith. It's so sweeeeeeet. Heart

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Apr 28 2012, 6:53am

Post #15 of 18 (153 views)
Shortcut
This post reminds me that I really need to re-read The Silmarillion:)// [In reply to] Can't Post

Compa_Mighty
Tol Eressea

Apr 29 2012, 2:03am

Post #16 of 18 (175 views)
Shortcut
Beren and Lúthien, Thingol and Melian [In reply to] Can't Post

Thingol and Melian are awesome characters... their story is quite nice. Other than that, Beren and Lúthien are just way above any other love story in Middle-earth in my opinion.

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Apr 29 2012, 7:35pm

Post #17 of 18 (166 views)
Shortcut
Then my job here is done. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Finwe
Lorien

May 19 2012, 12:24am

Post #18 of 18 (163 views)
Shortcut
Hurin/Morwen [In reply to] Can't Post

When she laid down against the Stone of the Hapless and died in her sleep next to Hurin, it moved me more than anything in Tolkien's writing ever had. Can't really explain it, but my eyes still tear up all these years later.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.